Advice/Help Will more roleplayers pay attention to a short thread with a couple of paragraphs, or long detailed paragraphs worth of info for an rp?

I originally made a post a while back explaining in detail 3 of my OC's backstories into one large story, and then I put the rules of what I expected at the bottom. Since most roleplayers I've come across here tend to be either semi-literate or literate, I made my thread detailed. I haven't been getting responses for almost a month, but I'm not desperate for the rp at the moment. What am I supposed to do?

I took a quick look at your thread and I think it would definitely help if you split the paragraphs up a bit, or cut out details that don't need to be revealed immediately. alternatively, providing a succinct, interesting overview would be even better. I love detail but I'm not a big fan of having to read huge blocks of text. it's kind of a "too long didn't read" effect.

I think the rules and expectations are great in point form at the bottom!

You might try just giving a basic summary of your characters and ideas, while mentioning that you have more info available for anyone who is interested. That way, readers don't become overwhelmed by the huge amount of information, but they also know you have plenty of stuff to develop together. For many people, a huge wall of text is really daunting, so they need to be interested in it fairly quickly before taking the time to read the whole thing.

It may also be that they're not entirely clear what they're supposed to do. I mean, you mentioned explaining the rules (which I'm assuming means post expectations, limitations, schedule stuff, etc.), but having something like "I want this character and yours to go on this sort of adventure" or "I'm interested in a love triangle" may help kickstart reader's imaginations and encourage them to contact you. That would probably also be best at the start, so they can brainstorm ideas while they learn about your characters.

Finally, though I'm sure you know this already, basic formatting (paragraph breaks, simple headers, bullet points, etc.) are your friend when dealing with large amounts of text. A lot of people will just skip past a wall of text without any formatting to help with organisation because its difficult to read. It doesn't have to be fancy BBCode, it can be done all from the toolbar.

I also find that it's better to start with what you want to roleplay than starting with characters. I mean this might just be a personal opinion but I tend to build my characters around a plot. So if you were to just give me two character without telling me what you're looking to do with them I wouldn't really have to a lot to go on.

So maybe start with your rules and expectations
Rules
1. don't ask me to do [ insert things you don't like to roleplay ]
2. i can write between X and X paragraphs
4. i like X replies a week.

Expectations
1. be able to write X paragraphs per post
2. be able to reply X times a week
3. help me come up with plots.

And also as people have said maybe instead of putting an entire character sheet down just give an overview of your character and what kind of plots your interested for each one.

Ex. Character A : Mary Sue
Overview : A fun loving and energetic girl that is the heroine of her own story. She believes she's just the bees knees and isn't afraid to brag about how special she is to anyone who will listen? She has the ability to manipulate emotions and make people find her remarkably beautiful. She of course uses this trick shamelessly to make herself mega popular. Sadly one person never seems to fall in line with her awesomeness. ( more info available upon request )

Plots
- Character B is a sibling to Mary Sue and is constantly trying to midigate her ego and shenanigans
- Character B is a rival who also has a special ability and the two are constantly trying to Out Sue one another.

Alright, I took out the super long description of the backstory with my characters, and I'm going to show them during the battle if I type out the story for the roleplayer to see, but I'll take any other suggestions if you guys have any. Thanks!

I originally made a post a while back explaining in detail 3 of my OC's backstories into one large story, and then I put the rules of what I expected at the bottom. Since most roleplayers I've come across here tend to be either semi-literate or literate, I made my thread detailed. I haven't been getting responses for almost a month, but I'm not desperate for the rp at the moment. What am I supposed to do?

What does it matter? At least you're getting something. I'm getting the shaft towards my sort of RP's. Constantly. No one wants to help me... They all want to do things their way... and there by taking away from the angle that i'm trying to aim for.

What does it matter? At least you're getting something. I'm getting the shaft towards my sort of RP's. Constantly. No one wants to help me... They all want to do things their way... and there by taking away from the angle that i'm trying to aim for.
Honey, looking through your posts, I could give you advice but you might not like it.

Honey, looking through your posts, I could give you advice but you might not like it.

Go for it. besides... i got enough slams on me to where i'm used to it. Because it seems as if no one cares for my ideas or happen to understand what it is that i am aiming for. I pretty much have given up sharing my ideas with people because... it's not worth the shut downs and the blockages or detours that come at me over it.

Go for it. besides... i got enough slams on me to where i'm used to it. Because it seems as if no one cares for my ideas or happen to understand what it is that i am aiming for. I pretty much have given up sharing my ideas with people because... it's not worth the shut downs and the blockages or detours that come at me over it.
And there lies the first problem; you don't seem easy to work with. From the posts I've seen, you act pretty self-centered, complaining that no one will rp with you but ignoring advice that could help you. You're determined to rp a... crossbreed between an OC and the girl from Leon: The Professional plus Macie from As Told By Ginger. It seems like you'll throw them into just about anywhere. My suggestion, either make a thread in the Partner Recruitment area for a ATBG rp and explain that you're interested in playing your OC and Macie. Give a summary of what kind of plot you want to do with them. OR just make a new character from scratch and roleplay JUST THEM in something. Maybe shoehorning in your Joanna OC just isn't working out for you.

And there lies the first problem; you don't seem easy to work with. From the posts I've seen, you act pretty self-centered, complaining that no one will rp with you but ignoring advice that could help you. You're determined to rp a... crossbreed between an OC and the girl from Leon: The Professional plus Macie from As Told By Ginger. It seems like you'll throw them into just about anywhere. My suggestion, either make a thread in the Partner Recruitment area for a ATBG rp and explain that you're interested in playing your OC and Macie. Give a summary of what kind of plot you want to do with them. OR just make a new character from scratch and roleplay JUST THEM in something. Maybe shoehorning in your Joanna OC just isn't working out for you.

How am i self centered. I am just trying to express what i am after. Besides... if it were anyone else... who were after a certain thing... They'd be like this too. Don't you be telling me that it isn't true. Because it is. I've been on enough sites to know how it is. I seen the same thing constantly. So yeah... if you want to be techie about it... It's just like i said. And I know what i am talking about because i had to deal with it.

From my experience, getting a partner on board for a fandom RP usually involves some form of compromise. I feel like the 'window of interest', so to speak, is narrower for fandom RPs than it is for those not related to an existing media property. Not only do you have to find a partner who is into the same sort of thing, their roleplay interests have to line up with you as well. It's very rare that I immediately click with a partner and I find I have more success when I keep things vague with options to narrow down (for example, I do a lot of Canon x OCs so I might list all of my favorite canon characters and offer potential partners a choice of who I'm willing to play and vice versa). Coming at things with a fully formed idea and a deep backstory to go with it can work, but usually I end up frustrating myself because I know I'm not going to be able to get the whole vision across and find someone who's as receptive to it as I am.

I think that's honestly some of the appeal for me, though. If I find a partner who shares a mutual interest and we start down the road of give and take, I'll find more attachment to the results of this collaborative compromise because we both put a lot of ourselves into it. But getting to this mindset took me many years of unsuccessful roleplays and a lot of searches where I just couldn't turn up a single speck of interest. The failure usually isn't personal, especially if your current favorite fandom isn't a mainstream mega hit. At the same time, the attitude you bring to the table does influence things, but my brain is fuzzing out and not letting me access the right words to find what I'm looking for here.

From my experience, getting a partner on board for a fandom RP usually involves some form of compromise. I feel like the 'window of interest', so to speak, is narrower for fandom RPs than it is for those not related to an existing media property. Not only do you have to find a partner who is into the same sort of thing, their roleplay interests have to line up with you as well. It's very rare that I immediately click with a partner and I find I have more success when I keep things vague with options to narrow down (for example, I do a lot of Canon x OCs so I might list all of my favorite canon characters and offer potential partners a choice of who I'm willing to play and vice versa). Coming at things with a fully formed idea and a deep backstory to go with it can work, but usually I end up frustrating myself because I know I'm not going to be able to get the whole vision across and find someone who's as receptive to it as I am.

I think that's honestly some of the appeal for me, though. If I find a partner who shares a mutual interest and we start down the road of give and take, I'll find more attachment to the results of this collaborative compromise because we both put a lot of ourselves into it. But getting to this mindset took me many years of unsuccessful roleplays and a lot of searches where I just couldn't turn up a single speck of interest. It's usually not personal, especially if your current favorite fandom isn't a mainstream mega hit within your favored niche of entertainment.

Now that i will agree with. That makes more sense and is not just some answer from the nether-regions. It's a solid answer. So i will accept that one... and only that.

How am i self centered. I am just trying to express what i am after. Besides... if it were anyone else... who were after a certain thing... They'd be like this too. Don't you be telling me that it isn't true. Because it is. I've been on enough sites to know how it is. I seen the same thing constantly. So yeah... if you want to be techie about it... It's just like i said. And I know what i am talking about because i had to deal with it.
Self-centered as in you're complaining as though everyone is out to get you when really what you're looking for is very narrow in terms of someone else finding any interest in it. I agree with Hologram and I seriously hope you'll take their advice.

Self-centered as in you're complaining as though everyone is out to get you when really what you're looking for is very narrow in terms of someone else finding any interest in it. I agree with Hologram and I seriously hope you'll take their advice.

Strawberry Ink Strawberry Ink Back off my grill and stop acting all high and mighty. Because at the end of the day... You're just like me and the rest. Just another Rper looking for someone to write with and one who will help you with what you're trying to accomplish even if it's a constant no go on both your part and the one on the other end who is not finding any mutual interest in the idea and or show of which you're deep in. So... Do a favor and stop playing "Glory hound" It doesn't suit you.

Strawberry Ink Strawberry Ink Back off my grill and stop acting all high and mighty. Because at the end of the day... You're just like me and the rest. Just another Rper looking for someone to write with and one who will help you with what you're trying to accomplish even if it's a constant no go on both your part and the one on the other end who is not finding any mutual interest in the idea and or show of which you're deep in. So... Do a favor and stop playing "Glory hound" It doesn't suit you.
Except I actually have rp partners? Kindly get over yourself? You came here to whine at OP, last I checked.

If you take a look at any of my rps you can see that they are all bad. They are either too long or too short. I think the key is finding a good balance between the 2.

t b h it's all up to the preference of your role play partner as well. if you find someone who likes shorter posts that cut straight to the action, shorter posts would be the obvious choice there. same with longer posts. if you're not sure, go with a good in between amount. cut out any detail that's not completely necessary and leave only the important and second most important details.

I'm willing to take any advice, good or bad. If I hear the bad, I can avoid it the next time I make a post. It would be awesome!

I think it really depends on the person, some people love long detailed and novel like posts and others are fine with a direct and descriptive paragraph. But in either case I find its best to have a snappy opening line to really snag their attention in the scrolling process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back