Advice/Help Why is it so hard to get a rp going

Without having looked too deeply into your post history, I can tell you right off the bat that you could benefit from adding more detail to your interest check

Stuff like plot ideas, characters you want to play, criteria for partners, themes you like and themes you want to avoid. It all helps potential partners see if they're a good fit!

I agree a bit more detail helps people figure out if you would be compatible.

The bare minimum I would add is

1. How often you can reply / how long you replies are
2. How often you want your partner to reply / how long you want their replies to be
3. Any particular characters you want to play / any particular characters you want your partner to play

I think you should add more information on what you are looking for. League of Legends encompasses a variety of different storylines, AUs, media, etc.

Additionally, most people want to know about writing expectations/experience (i.e. post frequency, length preferences, if this is long term or short term). Some may even specify if an age requirement and list triggers.

I don't know if you've responded in other people's interest checks, but if you do then you should make sure to say what you specifically want to roleplay with them.

Best of luck looking for an RP!

Short answer: people are flakey and non-committal.

Everyone has trouble with this. whether your RTs are short and concise, or long and detailed. Across genres and topics, everyone has trouble getting RPs going. Lots of people SAY they want to RP. But few actually go through the effort to DO it.

Short answer: people are flakey and non-committal.

Everyone has trouble with this. whether your RTs are short and concise, or long and detailed. Across genres and topics, everyone has trouble getting RPs going. Lots of people SAY they want to RP. But few actually go through the effort to DO it.
I do not want to come off rude, but saying such a statement as "short answer: people are flakey and non-committal" is very accusatory and shows a behavioral/personality trait that many probably do not enjoy.
I've really never had issues starting an RP, yes, I have bumps here and there. In the long run, you have to be thinking about how you are interacting with individuals, what your overall social meter is appearing like, and what genres/topics/fandoms you are pointing for if you have a strong lead on what you are going for storywise. There are people who are world builders and people who are role-players (who play in that world).
If you want to be a world-builder, you have to sometimes really think and flesh out ideas even for an interest check post. When you flesh certain things out and that helps grab people's attention. Sometimes using details along with reference pictures helps create that world to become more alive.
I've been mainly world-building and participating in role-playing for over a decade now. My main reason for situations of interest checks not exploding is the timing of the post. For example, if I start an RP during the school semesters (the majority of people who RP are young adults. People who are in university/college) or high schoolers. Currently speaking, if you are trying to post and get an RP going right now. You are going to find trouble because everyone is currently in their first round of tests/exams.
There are so many factors at play that giving a "short answer" shows a form of shallowness that you do not actually care or see the bigger picture in starting an RP or an RP that is pointed toward grabbing people's attention. Not everyone is going to jump up at something that inspired you and not everything works out and that is completely okay.
Sometimes post an interest check that is fleshed out (that shows how inspired you are by what you are trying to aim for) or post a multi-interest interest check. Multiple ideas and see who votes on what.
I'm not trying to come off rude, but I know I am blunt and over-text communication can be very monotone. I am only trying to help from my understanding and experiences with the RP world.

I hope this helps! <3

I do not want to come off rude, but saying such a statement as "short answer: people are flakey and non-committal" is very accusatory and shows a behavioral/personality trait that many probably do not enjoy.
I've really never had issues starting an RP, yes, I have bumps here and there. In the long run, you have to be thinking about how you are interacting with individuals, what your overall social meter is appearing like, and what genres/topics/fandoms you are pointing for if you have a strong lead on what you are going for storywise. There are people who are world builders and people who are role-players (who play in that world).
If you want to be a world-builder, you have to sometimes really think and flesh out ideas even for an interest check post. When you flesh certain things out and that helps grab people's attention. Sometimes using details along with reference pictures helps create that world to become more alive.
I've been mainly world-building and participating in role-playing for over a decade now. My main reason for situations of interest checks not exploding is the timing of the post. For example, if I start an RP during the school semesters (the majority of people who RP are young adults. People who are in university/college) or high schoolers. Currently speaking, if you are trying to post and get an RP going right now. You are going to find trouble because everyone is currently in their first round of tests/exams.
There are so many factors at play that giving a "short answer" shows a form of shallowness that you do not actually care or see the bigger picture in starting an RP or an RP that is pointed toward grabbing people's attention. Not everyone is going to jump up at something that inspired you and not everything works out and that is completely okay.
Sometimes post an interest check that is fleshed out (that shows how inspired you are by what you are trying to aim for) or post a multi-interest interest check. Multiple ideas and see who votes on what.
I'm not trying to come off rude, but I know I am blunt and over-text communication can be very monotone. I am only trying to help from my understanding and experiences with the RP world.

I hope this helps! <3
No worries, you didn't come off any more rude than my initial comment. ;-)
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It's just my personal experience from a looooong time roleplaying online. People are flakes. And they are flakes irl, not just online. So, really, why are we even surprised?

No worries, you didn't come off any more rude than my initial comment. ;-)
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It's just my personal experience from a looooong time roleplaying online. People are flakes. And they are flakes irl, not just online. So, really, why are we even surprised?
From that, all I have to say is that you really just kind of have to keep searching for your clique. It takes longer for others sometimes, but you will get there. Forums make it harder, sometimes as well. It also helps to keep in touch with role-players whom you really had chemistry with in other RPs and such.
Like, I have a main group of individuals that I go to that I have picked up as friends over the years with RPing. Currently, I am on a 1x1 RP that has been going on for 2 years. I would consider myself very good friends with that RP partner and I invite them to things (RP groups and stuff) all the time.

You'll figure it out. Don't worry.

From that, all I have to say is that you really just kind of have to keep searching for your clique. It takes longer for others sometimes, but you will get there. Forums make it harder, sometimes as well. It also helps to keep in touch with role-players whom you really had chemistry with in other RPs and such.
Like, I have a main group of individuals that I go to that I have picked up as friends over the years with RPing. Currently, I am on a 1x1 RP that has been going on for 2 years. I would consider myself very good friends with that RP partner and I invite them to things (RP groups and stuff) all the time.

You'll figure it out. Don't worry.
When I say I've been at this a long time, I mean a looong time. It was mid-90's when I got into online roleplaying.

Forums are actually my preferred method of roleplaying. I'm not really a 1x1 RPer and I don't like IM (or PM) roleplay. Groups are inherently harder to keep going because they have more pieces to the puzzle, so to speak. I don't really do the "keep in touch" thing. And I don't see the point in making friends on the internet (nor do I have the time/energy). I feel I don't meld well with the community at large, and I have to keep my comments on a leash, lest someone get butthurt. People are VERY thin-skinned these days.

I'm not really fond of getting too personal or chatty with others online besides general public forums like this. Regarding OOCC I pretty much keep the talk as "strictly business" and only chide in on matters regarding the roleplay at hand. I guess that's another reason i really prefer groups. I can contribute my narrative without having to be actively "friendly" and conversational. Whereas in a 1x1, you kinda have to be more involved with the one other person for it to really go over well.

Either way, starting roleplays is definitely not something for the impatient or easily demotivated. After a while, you just kind of learn to set your bar of expectations a bit lower than what you had hoped. Like, I still put in a good deal of effort when making character applications and introductory posts. But I always have it in the back of my head that even IF the roleplay gets started, there is a good chance that it will die just as quickly. To keep from getting totally turned off to the whole notion, I look at it as a practice for writing, at the very least. Even if the whole thing fails, I got to write a little bit and keep my creative juices flowing.

Last edited:
When I say I've been at this a long time, I mean a looong time. It was mid-90's when I got into online roleplaying.

Forums are actually my preferred method of roleplaying. I'm not really a 1x1 RPer and I don't like IM (or PM) roleplay. Groups are inherently harder to keep going because they have more pieces to the puzzle, so to speak. I don't really do the "keep in touch" thing. And I don't see the point in making friends on the internet (nor do I have the time/energy). I feel I don't meld well with the community at large, and I have to keep my comments on a leash, lest someone get butthurt.

I'm not really fond of getting too personal or chatty with others online besides general public forums like this. Regarding OOCC I pretty much keep the talk as "strictly business" and only chide in on matters regarding the roleplay at hand. I guess that's another reason i really prefer groups. I can contribute my narrative without having to be actively "friendly" and conversational. Whereas in a 1x1, you kinda have to be more involved with the one other person for it to really go over well.

Either way, starting roleplays is definitely not something for the impatient or easily demotivated. After a while, you just kind of learn to set your bar of expectations a bit lower than what you had hoped. Like, I still put in a good deal of effort when making character applications and introductory posts. But I always have it in the back of my head that even IF the roleplay gets started, there is a good chance that it will die just as quickly. To keep from getting totally turned off to the whole notion, I look at it as a practice for writing, at the very least. Even if the whole thing fails, I got to write a little bit and keep my creative juices flowing.
At this point, Murdergurl, I feel like you didn't actually want help/advice. I feel like you wanted to complain about your experiences. You do not have to become friends with anyone you RP with, I didn't for the first half of a decade. I only got into 1x1 RPs in the last few years. The longest group RP that I participated in went on for over half a decade and the longest group that I ran lasted for about 4 years.

From how you explain RPing (especially with people/in a group setting), it sounds like a job. It doesn't sound like it is fun or something that is bringing enjoyment to your life. If you plan for something to fail, it is going to fail if you put that energy into it. It just sounds like RPing is more of a chore for you (or a hassle) than anything which is sad, but I wish you luck.
I'm done replying to this because I have realized that there is no point to put my two cents in here since the original reason for this post was not for advice or help. I wish you luck on your RP journey. <3

At this point, Murdergurl, I feel like you didn't actually want help/advice.
Well, actually I never said or implied that I did want help or advice. My initial statement was just answering the title question.
"Short answer: people are flakey and non-committal."

And the follow up comment was just answering your finding my comment off-putting. But my views are just what I've gleaned from personal experience. And I was courteously offering an explanation to abate your displeasure at my input to the topic.

From how you explain RPing (especially with people/in a group setting), it sounds like a job. It doesn't sound like it is fun or something that is bringing enjoyment to your life.
Recruiting is most definitely a hassle. Making character apps that go unrequited with an actual roleplay is not something I think anyone would like to happen to them. Making entire settings and worldbuilds is a lot of time invested. And if they are not met with participation, then all that time is essentially wasted. How else would someone take that but badly? However, I understand that it is simply the nature of the beast. It is a very common occurrence in the hobby because roleplaying requires the participation of others. And people are fickle and flakey. C'est la vie.

I'm done replying to this because I have realized that there is no point to put my two cents in here since the original reason for this post was not for advice or help. I wish you luck on your RP journey. <3
Sure thing.

Hope your day goes well. And happy writing. ;-)

Last edited:
Again, I think you'll have better luck making an interest check that has the points we've mentioned above to get a roleplay going, rather than just asking who wants to do an rp. I'd have to decline anyway as I'm full on rps right now, but hopefully it will help you find other partners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back