Other Why I'm No Longer A Patron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rants

NightshadeCupcakes

Nights Delachord
There are quite a few reasons as to why I'm no longer going to be a patron. I'm not saying RPN is a bad platform or anything, or that my experience is the same as everyone else's, I just need to vent because I do feel used and I do feel exploited, and since this is the area to share opinions and everything, I figured I'd post here.

It's been a month since I first began to support the site on Patreon and I still haven't received the benefits I was owed. I was told two weeks ago that the member of staff who was supposed to sort it out had been busy with IRL stuff and that it would be sorted out as soon as possible. It wasn't and when I asked today, I wasn't told anything but 'when you're given the benefits, they'll last the full month'.

Yeah, the benefits are cool and everything, but I was supporting the site on Patreon because I trusted it. The fact that I haven't received what I was promised and haven't been told when I actually will just made me lose trust in RP Nation. I understand that there were circumstances out of their control but I was told two weeks ago that it would be sorted out and it still hasn't been.

I can't keep supporting a community financially if I no longer have trust in it. I love RPN but I can't help but feel exploited by it financially.

I don't even care about the benefits at this point, since it's unlikely I'll ever receive them. It's the fact that this whole time, my request to understand what's going on has been ignored. Is it so wrong for me to want to know when things are going to happen when I basically paid for the benefits and didn't receive them?

I'm still going to use the site and support the community by being active in it, but it's going to be a long time before I consider being a patron again. If any staff want this taken down, they can do so, I just really needed to get it all out there.

I guess it comes down to mindset going into it. I signed up to be a patron on the 28th or so of September, but for me the entire purpose of becoming a patron is to support a site I constantly use and enjoy. The rewards are nice but I'm not supporting for the rewards but rather think of it as my contribution/payment for something that I'm using so regularly. No different than any other hobby in which I have to pay money for. Waiting for the patreon rewards doesn't bother me as a result.

My understanding is that all the rewards get added starting from when you signed up too, so you don't end up losing out on anything even if you have to wait. It's also all done manually and reliant on one person so if there's any kind of upheaval/RL busyness going on in their life then the processing is going to be delayed. Maybe it's not the most efficient system ever, but I don't personally think that's a big deal considering you do get everything in the end.

I think it's fair for you to be frustrated, but I don't think you're being exploited financially and that's an unfair conclusion to make. They obviously are going through the list, considering how many yellow names show up in the "members online" box (some of which I know weren't yellow before), so it isn't as though you won't get the benefits at all... they're just delayed.

Totally your prerogative if that's not okay with you, but accusing them of being financially exploitative is a little much considering there's really no evidence of that.

Just my opinion though, coming from someone in the same situation as you.

That's why I initially set out to be a patron, but how can I support a site financially if I don't trust it? I spoke to them two weeks ago, they were already aware that I was waiting on the benefits. As I said, they're not what I care about.

What I care about is the fact that it's been a month already and I've heard nothing back from them for two weeks. That's what made me lose trust in them, the lack of information given regarding something like that. I understand it's a long process but I know they were already aware of the fact that I was concerned about it.

I'm stopping because I no longer trust the site and I said I felt exploited, not that I was accusing them of exploiting me.

I know I won't lose time on the benefits, but it's the fact that I've been given no information as to when or even if it'll happen, and that just caused me to no longer trust the site.

They did explain to you why though. They said they had IRL matters to deal with. Staff are usually pretty quick on the uptake with sorts of things, so it's likely to be a serious matter- you know, the type that isn't easily dealt with in two weeks. No one exploited you, no one lied to you, and though you are indeed waiting the only information omitted from you is what the IRL matter is, which considering how long it is taking to resolve is likely to be rather serious. The kind of thing which they may not be comfortable discussing with people, and quite frankly is none of other people's business if they don't want it discussed.

I'm speculating here, and whatever way you feel I doubt I can reason with it, nor am I trying to insist that you return to financially support the website, I'd be a hypocrite doing so when I myself have yet to give out a peny. You do have every right to be upset too. That said, this incident doesn't imply RPN as "untrustworthy". From what you told us, the most likely conclusion is that the responsible staff member is undergoing something pretty serious IRL which they cannot discuss or are too uncomfortable with to discuss. In that light, everything that could be done to help your situation has been done.

I can't help but feel exploited though. I understand that there are situations that can't be dealt with right away but at the same time, I'm giving money that I don't have a lot of, not receiving what I've been promised and not being told when I will be. I could have been told to wait for next month and I would've been fine with that because at least I'd know. But instead, I'm left wondering if I'm ever going to receive it because all the staff is doing is trying to distract me from it by saying that I won't lose time on it.

If I had money enough to spare, I would gladly spare it without issue but I don't, and the reason why I became a patron was because I trusted the site. Because of this, I no longer do. I wasn't told initially that there was going to be a delay, instead only being told when I've gone to complain about the fact I'm still waiting after two weeks. I still haven't been told if or when I'll receive them. I just can't spare that kind of money, not knowing if things that are promised are going to happen. I don't care that I won't lose time on the benefits, the benefits are basically going to be meaningless.

I can't help but feel exploited though. I understand that there are situations that can't be dealt with right away but at the same time, I'm giving money that I don't have a lot of, not receiving what I've been promised and not being told when I will be. I could have been told to wait for next month and I would've been fine with that because at least I'd know. But instead, I'm left wondering if I'm ever going to receive it because all the staff is doing is trying to distract me from it by saying that I won't lose time on it.
It's entirely reasonable and understandable to feel that way. In fact, I think it's reasonable that you're not giving money anymore if you feel like you're not getting what you were promised for your money. As I said, not trying to dissuade you from there.

That said, one thing is feeling betrayed here, another is saying the staff isn't deserving of trust with these circumstances. Especially considering that your requirements for what they could have done would involve predicting the future. You weren't told there was going to be a delay because the staff couldn't have known there would be a delay, and you weren't told how long said delay would last because it's physically impossible to know how long a serious IRL issue will take to resolve, especially if they are doing everything in their power to solve it.

As soon as they were aware of the fact that there was one, they could've said something. They don't have to predict the future to know what's happening in the present.

And the fact that if it was going on this long, why couldn't they just let someone else take over while the other member of staff deals with things from their end? There are multiple staff members, after all. There were many ways this could have been sorted out.

Even just saying 'there's an issue with Patreon benefits, hang tight and we'll let you know when things will be fixed' in a forum post or Patreon post without me having to actively go seek that information would've been better than saying nothing at all.

I mean... I would imagine the reason nothing has changed in two weeks is because that staff member hasn't had a chance to get to it yet and the information hasn't changed so they have nothing new to tell you. Most likely the issue is still ongoing, exactly as Idea said.

If you don't have the funds for it and aren't comfortable with waiting then that's 100% fine. But they have communicated that there's stuff going on that is causing a delay. I feel like that doesn't mean they're not deserving of trust. Not being able to give you a timeframe is pretty reasonable when they don't know what the time frame would be themselves.

Maybe having an update would have been good... but updates are tricky when you don't know how RL is going to pan out. Can't tell you how many times I've said "Oh yeah, I should have time to get __ done now," thinking my own RL issues were resolved, only to get bogged down again. That can make people more angry because then you have an update to your update that basically says "Yeah, we were wrong about having time... now we'll try and get to it."

I also don't know how complicated the Patreon system is so requiring another staff member to do it might cause more issues than it helps. I imagine if it was simple they would have done that one already.

AND there's the fact that we don't know how many other people are waiting ahead of us either. All of these are complicating factors.

Basically I think it's fine to say that the wait time is ridiculous/not something you think is fair, but considering that they have been communicating and there is a known issue... I still think calling them untrustworthy is unfair.

They haven't communicated it until I've gone up to them and complained about the wait, not knowing what's been going on. They could've made a statement, saying they're having issues and they don't know how long it'll take to get sorted. But instead, everything is secretive, with information being withheld until people go and ask them after weeks of radio silence. That's what I don't trust. You don't have to feel the same way, you just have to understand that that kind of thing is pretty shady from my point of view.

As soon as they were aware of the fact that there was one, they could've said something. They don't have to predict the future to know what's happening in the present.
They haven't communicated it until I've gone up to them and complained about the wait, not knowing what's been going on. They could've made a statement, saying they're having issues and they don't know how long it'll take to get sorted. But instead, everything is secretive, with information being withheld until people go and ask them after weeks of radio silence. That's what I don't trust. You don't have to feel the same way, you just have to understand that that kind of thing is pretty shady from my point of view.
They could indeed have said something, but that's hardly a betray of trust. There was nothing to be lost from not being told and it's not like they weren't adressing the issue until then, plus anyone could tell there was a delay as it was happening.

Shady? What exactly would they have been hiding? A delay isn't a hidden issue, it's plain for all to see by not receiving their benefits. Even if they were to try to hide something, they wouldn't gain anything from it.

In short, there was no reason to make such an announcement, and that's the most likely reason why it wasn't made.

And the fact that if it was going on this long, why couldn't they just let someone else take over while the other member of staff deals with things from their end? There are multiple staff members, after all. There were many ways this could have been sorted out.
Because when someone is assigned to a specific task, and it's always them who does that specific task, then there's a good chance that they are the only one, or one of few, who can actually do that task.

It's shady because there is money involved. Everything is quiet while people are spending money on something that they are not receiving. It doesn't matter if they don't lose the time because they're not receiving it in the first place.

So yeah, I'm not giving RPN any more of my money. That's just how things are gonna be. I no longer trust RPN, and that's my own personal thing that I have repeatedly given my reasoning for. All I wanted to do is vent. I've given my points time and again that someone should've said something in the first place once they knew that things were happening instead of leading people to believe they're being exploited.

Because I do feel exploited, I'm no longer trusting of the site and nothing anyone says is going to change that. I'm not continuing my patronage and the only reason I posted it here at all was because I am really hurt by this situation and needed to vent somewhere that understood what was going on.

That. Is. All.

We've been taking donations for a decade now and sometimes we fall behind. We have artists create the badges, which are done every month promptly but then there is no automated system to hand them out. They all have to be done manually by Kaerri and there are only a few notable times they've fallen behind and that's when the Artists have IRL issues (like the hurricane during hurricane season) or when something happens to Kaerri.

I think we've been doing really well for a long time and if you feel exploited because we are a bit behind, then I'm sorry. Maybe one day in the future we will earn your trust again.

Last edited:
I feel exploited because no one said anything. I understand if things are a bit behind, but not saying anything about the situation to someone who's giving the site money?

Even just a simple 'there's an issue with Patreon benefits, we'll let you know when things are gonna happen' would've been enough. But instead, I've been given no information at all until I've gone to the staff to ask about it. And even today, I went and asked, was told nothing except that 'you won't lose time on them'. That's what I don't trust, the fact that no one said anything.

To be honest, I doubt it. I'm not being rude or anything, but my trust is hard to regain. I'm skeptical of anything if I feel I've been taken advantage of or exploited. The fact that my money was taken and I was given absolutely no information about anything until I had to go and complain about a situation feels like exploitation to me. Because no one intended to say anything.

Think of it this way: you buy something from an eBay seller, who says to expect the thing within a week or two. Two weeks pass, still nothing, so you ask about it. Suddenly they say there was a delay with the shipment but give no other information. You were never told about this until you asked. Two weeks later, you ask again, and all you're told is that the shipment will arrive in the same condition, nothing else. No way in hell are you ever gonna buy from that seller again.

Think of it this way: you buy something from an eBay seller, who says to expect the thing within a week or two. Two weeks pass, still nothing, so you ask about it. Suddenly they say there was a delay with the shipment but give no other information. Two weeks later, you ask again, and all you're told is that the shipment will arrive in the same condition, nothing else. No way in hell are you ever gonna buy from that seller again.

We aren't an eBay seller. We are a free volunteer-staffed Roleplay Site where people donate to help keep the site ad-free and help pay the ever-increasing costs of maintaining the said site. We offer the little goodies as a token of gratitude, but you aren't buying them. I'm going to go ahead and issue a refund as soon as Patreon allows me to. Going to go ahead and close this thread, since you are now just trying to create drama where there shouldn't be.

As the rewards are a manual process (which, as it stands, is only done by one person), it's pretty obvious when there is a delay (as mentioned before). As such, no, staff had no intentions of releasing an update about it as the rewards are always handed out as soon as possible, regardless of delays.

You were informed that they'd last the full month from when they were handed out as this is usually the main concern when there is a delay. You'll always get what you paid for.

Staff couldn't give a timeframe for when your benefits would be added as we ourselves didn't know. We can't predict when Kaerri will or won't have the time. She's not often behind with these things, but she's also human, with real world obligations that inevitably come first. Along with other factors such as the badges Wiz mentioned.

I understand feeling frustrated at the lack of communication, but it wasn't us trying to be shady or hide anything. We simply didn't have the answers you're looking for. Rather than give you false information, you were given the knowledge that we did have - that you would indeed receive what you paid for, and that it would last the intended time frame.

No-one is trying to force you to spend money on us. We'd never do that. But we never meant to make you feel like you can't trust us, because you can. But you must remember that we're volunteers and sometimes we fall behind and don't know when we'll catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back