Why do you like to role-play? What does it do for you?

Abigail_Austin

Working on my first 10 required posts.

My answer to this question is that in regular life we don't always get chances to show sacrificial love or overcome epic obstacles, but our souls crave those things, and so roleplay is a way to do those things without doing them; to feel those feelings without needing the external situations that could provide the opportunity to feel them.

What do y'all think?

Roleplaying really helps me either boost my creativity, calm me down, or just really help out with my boredness. I'm a very creative and imaginative person, so roleplaying is legit me somewhat going to another dimension full of dragons or beautiful landscapes or whatever. I've been roleplaying since I was 11, and that surprisingly, it helps me be more social around others because there are tons of other people who are willing to roleplay with others, and that I tend to be that very person.

I love making friends and squeeing about my favorite fandoms with likeminded nerds. I love re-writing canon ( that's what got me started at least ) although I lack the personal discipline to make my own fanfiction / original works.

I also like making up my own stories in elaborate worlds because I'm a bit of a bookworm and I have a strong imagination. It's more about exploring the stories that books never told or worlds I make up on my own.

Also again I just like having people to talk to and hang out with. Bring on the friendships and squeeing fan rants.

I like it because it helps with my anxiety! Before I found out about RP-ing, I could barely talk to anyone online and I was super nervous about my writing! After being in the community for a while, though, I found a lot of support ! I even met my best friend through rp-ing, and ever since I've been doing a lot better when it comes to reaching out to others and improving my writing! All in all, I like it because it's an enjoyable way to spend my time and it helps bring me closer to people I otherwise would have never known about!

I like it because it's like writing a story, it's like playing a co-op videogame with your imagination or making a show where you get to decide what happens and there's another person there to make it more interesting and enjoyable.

I need an outlet for the stories in my head and I don't want to write novels for all of them, because I'd never see the outside world again.

I think for me it's a way to live out and explore different characters and worlds, and practice my improvising and acting skills (as well as writing, of course). I like seeing characters bounce their traits off each other, and having to figure out how my character would react in the situations other players can put them in. And I like getting invested in my co-player's characters and stories. The relationships and actions of the characters really does it for me.

I like exploring character ideas and conflicts and developing plot ideas. It's like freeform acting but, you know, the screen play version.

Roleplay allows me to dream and to imagine, and to share those dreams and ideas with others. To me roleplay is an outlet for creativity that also allows me to partake in awesome stories and meet great people. In my roleplaying, I like to be able to craft good stories, explore creative and in-depth worlds, share ideas and experience new viewpoints, it's such an interesting and fulfilling medium that led me to a place like this which I would call a second home, what else could I ask of my hobbies?

When I'm overwhelmed by irl troubles and my mood goes down below zero, I noticed that I tend to resort to rp. It gives me such a morale boost...
One of the reasons is that I've been blessed with a few really good rp partners. Just plotting the rp episodes with them makes me feel a lot better.
More simple reason is I just like to write stories. I write alone as well. But there is still something about sharing it with someone else and writing together. Rp destroy all my writer's blocks in one fell swoop.

Escapism. Sometimes I just have to get out of here. I have to be somewhere else as someone else. I have a nostalgia or a homesickness for a place I have never been and never will be.

i’ve always had a passion for writing but i lack the motivation. roleplaying is like collaborative writing and i find it so much more enjoyable and easier than one sided writing because i can always draw inspiration from the roleplayer and the creativity never ends.

I feel like it enhances my writing, gives me somewhere to channel my emotions, and educates me all at the same time.

As a follow up, if any of you think getting married and having kids will be reason to STOP role playing, IT IS NOT. If anything it is a source for some of the best material possible, but also extreme mental fatigue. It is so refreshing to have a creative outlet. A lot of your identity gets wrapped up in managing the household, taking care of other people, running errands, doing chores, so much of your energy is diverted to other things that you forget to take care of yourself. Then you get a little crazy and unpleasant.
I come from a huge family of creative minds, I have written stuff and served as a DM/GM for my siblings. I can't wait to write stuff for my kids too. I dont want them to stop making believe or think they have to hang up their imagination just because they hit a certain age or have to fulfill certain social requirements (get a job, go to college etc.)

For me, I roleplay for the characters.

I absolutely LOVE good, well thought out, dynamic characters that grow and actually have depth to them rather than just being flat. In my mind, I could have a roleplay that's just all dialogue and still be satisfied (Which probably explains why so many of my roleplays die RIP). Nothing is more interesting to me then slowly watching characters develop relationships with the other characters or NPC's and slowly change in accordance with them.

The best roleplays I've ever had is when every character in the group is perfectly in tune with their surroundings and react to the environment around them much like an actual person would. Just that dynamic alone makes me love roleplaying.

Awesome story, great way to develop characters and worlds. Once in a while I'll find a partner I just click with that is after the same storytelling as me which is awesome as there's nothing like having a person you can brainstorm with or be able to do a plot twist without worrying that they'll do something asinine in return.

I mostly do it for the characters. I enjoy putting my characters in interesting situations with other characters and seeing how it'll play out. I think characters are really what makes or breaks an rp. Y'all can have an amazing plot line and setting, but if the characters are boringg trite, then I don't see the rp being much fun.

I also really enjoy writing, but have a hard time with coming up with things to write about on my own. Roleplay is a fun way for me to keep improving my writing skills.

I RP mainly to explore the settings in fandoms not so much the characters. For me, I love RP for the atmosphere that text can create. What it does for me is allow me to express my creativity in something I enjoy.

I like the freedom to imagine, besides, with friends, it's even better,
we could imagine a pre-existing story, and put a lot of mysteries or funny moments.

As an anime roleplayer, I like continuing stories or filling in gaps from a series I already love. It makes it seem like series that have ended aren't really over. I roleplay instead of writing fanfictions because that other person keeps me going. It's easier and more fun. to overcome writer's block with another person to bounce ideas off of.

I feel like it improves my writing skills, and is a fun way to write instead of just focusing on short stories and novels. It's also cool to bounce ideas off of others, and to learn from their writing styles.

I like to roleplay because I've found that it helps with my anxiety, and helps me expand my creativity. I also just find it to be a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back