What's new

Other Why do we have so many of these threads?

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
In its historical context, it developed in conflict with the more hierachical Confucianism, and it's in the nature of cuiltivating de (virtue, effectively) to reject rigid constraints which prevent spontaneous and organic expression of the tao through human interaction.
Of course, some aspects were co-opted by Confucianism, in particular to resist the way Zen Buddhism embraced taoism in a more nihilistic way.

In its historical context, it developed in conflict with the more hierachical Confucianism, and it's in the nature of cuiltivating de (virtue, effectively) to reject rigid constraints which prevent spontaneos and organic expression of the tao through human interaction.
Of course, some aspects were co-opted by Confucianism, in particular to resist the way Zen Buddhism embraced taoism in a more nihilistic way.
True, but I was still never drawn to it with the idea that there shouldn't be any social order, more due to it's ideas surrounding the idea of balance. Still, as I said I know pitifully little about the subject despite my interest.

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
The thing about taoism is that it's a holistic philosophy, less concerned with balance as we tend to think of it than with a kind of authentic and natural being. It is not a dogma or a list of tenets, but rather a mode of understanding. In truth, to even name the tao is incorrect, because the tao is transcendent of naming and of reality quite as we understand it. It is, and we are if we allow ourselves to be, and in so doing we do not need to name it.
It's been a few years since I really got into it, but taoism was a big interest of mine way back when and coincidentally formed part of my philosophy curriculum until the faculty decided to go all-in on Hellenic thinkers.

proiettile

ᵒᶠᶠⁱᶜⁱᵃˡ ⁿᵉʳᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵖʳᵒᶠᵉˢˢⁱᵒⁿᵃˡ ʷᵉᵉᵇ
i know this is completely random, but we went from talking about tea, to taoism... absolutely beautiful, lads! keep it up! also stay safe, or a killer rabbit will appear in your minecraft world with infinite health and a sharp 5000 diamond sword and burn your items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)