• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Who ya gonna call?

Lore
Here

StrangelyCharm

Roleplay Type(s)
[[Note: Grimes as in dirty, not the singer, haha]]
--------------------
"Hi, I'm Grimes! A soon-to-be Inquisitor and currently very cool. I'm told you're also cool, because you're like, a nerd who reads- but in a good way! Like a cool nerd! Uh- shit."
Grimes sighed and sagged forward, letting her head gently knock into the, frankly, grimey woman reflected back at her in the window pane. A smear of grease from her forehead was left behind and the shopkeeper, an older gnomish woman, scowled at her. Grimes didn't notice.
"Bro, speeches are hard", she mumbled to herself, before pushing off the window and looking around for inspiration.

The mission was clear: she'd found a job ad stamped with the seal of the Inquisition on it and now all she needed was someone to read what was written on it to her so she could go and do the job!
It was exactly what she'd been waiting for- an opportunity to prove to the Inquisition she had the right stuff to join them in their badass quest against magical horrors and all that cool shit. She was ready to take the oath and kick in some werewolf teeth! She was ready to hunt evil mages and banish demons! She was ready to look hot af in that sexy black uniform!
...She was not ready to approach the friendly looking halfling woman sitting by the fire in the tavern eating stew for an early dinner and ask her to help read the paper for her. The woman was, apparently, one of the few literate people in the town who wouldn't charge for the service of having a letter read... or rat Grimes out to the mercenary guild for stealing one of the jobs off their board without paying a guild fee (heh).

It was the last step between Grimes and greatness! It should be easy! What was one little library-lady compared with the demonic hordes??
Apparently a lot.

"Oh maaaan, what do I say to her?" Grimes moaned to the only other living being in range that would listen: a raven perched on the shop sign above her. "Like, how do I explain to her that my mission is honourable and worthy of her, like, reading it out to me so I can do it?"
The raven cocked its head at her. Grimes took this as a sign of its investment in her plight.
"Yeah, man! Like, I'm trying to say I'm a badass and I know what I'm doing and you should definitely help me and not ask about why I don't have papers from the mercenary guild or anything because that would suck... but like, in less words."
"Caw!” Said the raven. Grimes squinted their eyes at the bird.
"I don't know what you're getting at there, man. I've got to come across strong, ya know? Like the kind of person you wouldn't even question is cut out for the job because obviously I'm that gal, ya know?"
Click-click-clack The raven clacked its beak at her and Grimes waved a hand. "Yeah, you're right... I should practice more. Ok: 'Hello and greetings, you might not have heard of me, but I bet you've heard of the Inquisition and how fuckin' baller they are, right? Well, have I got the opportunity for you!'..."

------------
[Some time later]
Ok, this was it. She had her words ready, she'd pulled her dark hair back and pushed it under her brown hat and buttoned up her dark blue coat so she looked more professional and tidy. The raven seemed to approve of her choices, which was nice. She was ready, she was prepared, she was-
freaking out, man.

With shaking hands, Grimes pushed open the door to the tavern and crossed the room, paper in hands and reciting her speech under her breath.
'Hi, I'm Grimes and I'd like to have a moment of your time to discuss a business opportunity. I require assistance with-'
Ok, there she is! Halfling chick located!
"Uh, hello, I-"
The woman looked up at her and just like that, everything left Grimes' brain.
"...uh. Um..." Grimes swallowed loudly, desperately trying to remember her prepared speech.
"I... this... er...."
Outside the window, the raven peered down at her from the shop sign and Grimes swore the thing was judging her.
It was too much! Tears pricking in her eyes, Grimes thrust out the paper to the woman, closed her eyes tightly and blurted out in one breath: "I'm Grimes and I can't read! I'm sorry! Can you help me?"

---------------------------
This is Grimes's voice, lol:

Last edited:
Fiona was enjoying a fine evening by the fire in the tavern. She had her ale, a nice hearty stew, a new book tucked in her bag, and…a ghostly companion staring at her. She chalked that up to the feeling someone was watching her.

“Ye know, it’s not polite to stare now.” She took a drink of her ale as the ghost seemed to twist his mouth in a grimace.

“Says the audacious woman eating in front of me, as I am stuck as an unfortunate incorporeal soul! Stuck floating after the only literate person about with a lowly hoven of a town.” The ghost said dramatically, flourishing his fine sorcerer robes. He wasn’t a bad-looking man. He was just sharp and bony. He was most likely quite tall in his living days. One key thing that kept over from his corporeal days was his intense dark eyes.

Though he was dramatic enough as any magic user from Fiona’s experience.

Fiona was interrupted from her musing as a woman approached her, stuttering out a hi, and promptly struggling to find words. Oh dear, she must be a shy thing.
Uh, hello, I-"
“Hello there!” Fiona said with a chip tone, trying to appear friendly. She ignored the ghost’s sneer as he seemed to look the woman over with utter disdain.
"...uh. Um..." Grimes swallowed loudly, desperately trying to remember her prepared speech.
"I... this... er...."
Fiona waited quietly, setting aside her drink. She was sure the young woman would have it out in no time!
Grimes thrust out the paper to the woman, closed her eyes tightly and blurted out in one breath: "I'm Grimes and I can't read! I'm sorry! Can you help me?"
The paper being thrusted to her was a bit of a surprise. "Oh, is that so? Well, that's alright. Many folks here can't read either. Lucky for ye, I can! I'd be happy to take a look for ye!" She said with a bit of pip in her tone as she gently took the now slightly crinkled paper in the woman's grip.

"I'm Fiona by the way," She told her as she fished her reading glasses from her bag. She put on her glasses, peering at the woman first before getting to the business of reading out loud.

Last edited:
"T-thank you", Grimes managed to choke out, handing over the paper with her shaking hands. What was wrong with her?! Fuckin' get it together, man! She took a deep, steadying breath.
Slightly recovered, Grimes tried her planned speech again. "Hi, I'm Grimes and I'd like to have a moment of your time to discuss a business opportunity. I require assistance with reading the information on this job advertisement, which I'm sure will, uh-"
Shit, balls! She'd forgotten her speech!
Fuck it.
"...I promise I am usually more prepared than this. I had a speech ready and everything", Grimes explained with a sigh, sagging down into one of the chairs across from Fiona. "I swear I'm a badass who's totally ready for whatever is in the job ad... it's just the 'talking to people' bit that's hard..." she said, scratching the side of her head, feeling awkward. "Um, yeah, so thanks for agreeing to read the thing to me and I'll be quiet for that now."

Not knowing where to look, Grimes glanced outside and grimaced when she saw the raven was perched on the window sill now, its dark eyes locked on her.
"Dude, stop, you're throwing me off my game", Grimes muttered under her breath, grimacing at the raven before looking back into the inn and- ah, ok, the bird was probably actually staring at the food on the table behind her. Used to getting fed by the patrons, perhaps. Cool. Ok.
Wait, she needed to stay focused! The job was nearly in reach!

"T-thank you", Grimes managed to choke out, handing over the paper with her shaking hands. What was wrong with her?! Fuckin' get it together, man! She took a deep, steadying breath.
Fiona waved a hand at Grimes “It is a trifle! I’m happy to help ye” she said warmly. Honestly, she did like reading for others who needed it. It felt like a nice deed to do. The ghost beside her rolled his eyes and disgust as he sank into the floor, not wanting to be bothered with this.
Slightly recovered, Grimes tried her planned speech again. "Hi, I'm Grimes and I'd like to have a moment of your time to discuss a business opportunity. I require assistance with reading the information on this job advertisement, which I'm sure will, uh-"

"...I promise I am usually more prepared than this. I had a speech ready and everything", Grimes explained with a sigh, sagging down into one of the chairs across from Fiona. "I swear I'm a badass who's totally ready for whatever is in the job ad... it's just the 'talking to people' bit that's hard..." she said, scratching the side of her head, feeling awkward. "Um, yeah, so thanks for agreeing to read the thing to me and I'll be quiet for that now."
Fiona nodded along with Grimes as she explained her circumstance and struggles with talking to people. Fiona gave a gentle cluck of concern before replying.

"Oh, I imagine it's never fun to get tongue-tied! I'm sure yer speech was very well prepared, and talking to strangers can be hard for anyone!" Fiona leaned forward to pat Grimes' hand gently in a friendly manner.

She lean into a whisper, as if giving a trade secret, "My Pa taught me the best way to open a conversation is to give a nice compliment that ye mean. That brings a right glow to a person, and they become quite chatty usually!"

She gave a wink to Grimes but did notice Grimes muttering to the raven outside. Fiona decided she wouldn't call attention to it.

"Well, I suppose I should see to the task ye asked of me." Fiona cleared her throat and put on her best reading voice she could as she read.

Wanted!” She started off strong with a small smile and continued.

“Three persons to assist in the investigation of the town of Crossgart. Whilst all care will be taken to avoid confrontation, the possibility remains, especially if dark sorcery is present and used to manipulate people against us.” Fiona paused in her reading and looked up at Grimes.

“Oh, this does sound quite serious! Let’s continue.” She proceeded on as she read “ As such, applicants should be of good constitution and strong mental fortitude. We will be working together as a team and you will be provided with direction, but ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. You must provide your own gear.”

Fiona blinked a few times, and muttered, “I suppose one would need to supply one’s own gear." She cleared her throat again to continue.

Pay is five gold pieces upon completion of your duties, with one gold paid upon arrival. Room and board are covered. Send a reply to the Dry Barrel Inn.” She read out before coming to the end.

“Authorised by order of the Inquisition, Capt. A. Sythe.” Fiona took a moment to read it again quietly and looks up at Grimes.

"Well, fancy that, it does sound like quite a daring job doesn't it!" Fiona remarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back