• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Who We Are at Midnight

Meyneth

Dungeons, Drive-Ins & Dives
Roleplay Type(s)
As time dragged on, loneliness gave way to anger. Anger, then, to grief. And back again.

At this point, Pyrrha could not tell them apart; they were all dark, venomous things that stained sunny afternoons and gnawed at her stomach. She could not fool herself into thinking it was pointless brooding, either; she saw how that Noe girl slunk around. Pyrrha’s days were numbered. Her father was not around to shield her from the schemes of nobles.

She lay on her back, staring at the moonlight on the ceiling. The palace had been silent for a while now, nothing except the chirp of crickets and the crash of waves on the shore. She slipped out of bed.

She was sick of feeling sick, like a disease had infected her mind and made everything hazy and dark. Now, something else cut through - something sharp, clear, crackling. She felt every inch of the cool floor on her feet, every fiber of the cloak she pulled over her shoulders. She fumbled for the bag she had stashed under her covers, slipped it onto her back, and popped the window open.

This is it, she told herself. You are going to run and you are not going to turn around, and if Mikhail tries to stop you, you are going to kill him.

That put a smile on her face. She hoisted herself up and out.

She expected alarm bells or baying hounds when she landed behind the palace, not more quiet. Just crickets and waves. The moon was blessedly bright, casting a glow over the garden in front of her, the woods to her left, and the cliffs to her right. She needed to cut through the garden and into the woods. There was a clearing; she’d be able to prepare there. Carve herself into someone entirely different.

Deep breath. Now she needed to go, or she never would, so she launched herself down the steps and ran like a woman possessed.

Past olive trees and wildflowers, over stone paths, through the garden gate. She might never see it all again - might never sit again in her father’s favorite tree - but clear summer air cut through her lungs and she was free, she was out of the garden, thundering off of stone paths and into sticker bushes and damp leaves. A doe turned and fled; squirrels scurried into burrows.

She stumbled into the clearing, panting and tripping over her feet, all of it stinging and fresh. The burning lungs, that clear, bright adrenaline, she felt it. She felt something. She didn’t care if it hurt.

Once she caught her breath, she settled in the center of the clearing, where she could lean against the thickest tree and watch her reflection in a little pool between stones. A few months ago, she had loved to read here. Now, she dropped her bag on the ground and rifled through it until she felt leather wrapped around a blade.

She drew it out carefully. A kitchen knife - certainly not the sharpest weapon the palace offered, but Mikhail’s men wouldn’t let her touch anything more dignified. Dangerous little girl. Well, he was an idiot; she was enough of a weapon herself. She hadn’t killed her father with a knife.

She bent over the stream and held her hair out at the shoulder. She had to saw at it a bit, but finally - the blade sliced through, leaving her with a handful of hair the length of a horse’s tail. What was still attached to her head didn't even reach her shoulders. She held out what remained, started to raise the knife, then winced and put it down.

It’s the gray streaks that’ll give you away anyway, she thought, tilting her head and watching the ragged edges brush against her face. Should’ve dyed them. Oh well. She’d find dye somewhere else. For now, she stuffed her cut-off hair into the bag, pulled her hood over her head, and stood.

And caught a glimpse of red in the trees.

Pyrrha froze. That wasn’t deer red or squirrel red, it was - human hair red, like -

Power crackled on her arms. Stiffly, like a stalking wolf, she took a step toward it.

Mikhail? Couldn’t be; must have sent his slithering little daughter to do his dirty work. Pyrrha didn’t care. Snakes all the same.

“Don’t be coy,” she snapped. Gods, she was so sick of playing nice with these people, and the words rose up like fire in her throat. “Come kill me face-to-face if you have any respect for yourself.”

Last edited:
The dagger's hilt was cold in Noe's hands, trembling and tightly-held. Mist escaped from her lips in shuddered breaths, her heart beating loud and fast---in the silence, she could almost hear the blood pumping in her ears. If someone saw her right at this moment, they'd see the tears she was trying her damnedest to hold back. They'd see a tightened jaw, teeth gritting in who-knows-what emotion there is. Was it anger? Sadness? Pain?

No one will know.

There was, after all, no one around to see her as she tried to kill her father in his sleep.

There he was, gaunt and cruel even in his slumber, his angular features piercing through the moonlight. Mikhail Silraven, her father only by name. The monster who became king not so long ago, though Noe wished that he was anything but. She'd seen what he could do, felt the pain of his cruelty. He was no king, simply a man wearing an oversized crown, and no kingdom deserved his reign. Let anyone else rule, anyone but him. Heck, even the former princess, Pyrrha, was far more suitable, despite her rather dangerous capabilities in magic. Anyone but him.

Noe stood by his bedside, an unmoving shadow, the dagger glinting in her grip. Something was boiling within her--something she grew to suppress, something she'd always hated about herself, but right now she let it run free.

Swiftly, Noe raises the dagger. A faint, sibilant sound rings in the air.

Do it.

The silence almost becomes deafening as seconds, minutes, pass by--her hands stay up, the dagger aiming right for Mikhail's chest but never coming down. Do it, Noe. The words repeat themselves in her head, louder and louder each time, but the dagger stays up. Why can't you do it? She takes a deep, shuddering breath between gritted teeth. Kill him, damn it!

KILL.

Her hands descend, the dagger making a swift arc through the air before clattering to the floor, bloodless.

Why can't you?

Noe takes one step back. Under the moonlight, she could see the slightest hint of a smile in Mikhail''s lips. It's enough to make Noe turn and bolt for the door, but soon the subtle smile turns into a laugh, and Noe freezes in her place. Suddenly it was difficult to move nor breathe. She could hear the shifting of her father's bed as he sat up, still laughing, before he stops and the silence pierces everything once more.

"How does it feel, Noe?" Mikhail's deep voice sounded almost...proud, though Noe knew he'd never be such. "How does it feel, wielding that dagger and wanting to kill?"

The metallic noise of a dagger being picked up temporarily rings in the air.

Run.

The word rings loud in her head, and soon her body follows. Her hands reach for the knob, but panic seizes her mind as the handle refuses to budge. No, no...

"Face it, Noe. You are me. A lesser version, perhaps, but me nonetheles--"

"I hate you,"
she retorts, mustering as much venom in her tone possible.

"Oh, I know. You're abound with broken mirrors, after all."

"Shut up!"

Finally, the door opens, and Noe doesn't hesitate to run out of the room, passing by a rather surprised guard posted just outside. She had climbed the windows to enter her father's bedchambers, but the palace interior was still such a new place that Noe found it difficult to navigate. Stairs, she thinks, climbing down the first set she sees until eventually she finds herself on the palace's ground floor. It doesn't take long for her to push through its main doors, greeting the night's cold air as she runs. Looking around, she notices one certain thing: the guards, or rather a lack of them. Where are they?

The answers come in loud, metallic footsteps, all resonating within the palace walls. Noe looks up, and the first thing she sees is Mikhail, standing by the window of his bedchambers, smiling down at her with his unkempt red hair and wild grey eyes. He didn't have to speak to convey one certain message to her. Noe knew that smile well.

You'll never escape me.

He was testing her. Letting her run away knowing that she would come back without force.

Noe was going to prove him wrong.

She bolts for the back of the palace, knowing that the woods had better hiding opportunities compared to the empty streets of the kingdom proper. She could hear no metallic footsteps giving chase, nor any of the palace hounds, but that doesn't stop her from running as far away as she could, as fast as she could. Soon branches and twigs began scratching at her skin, her clothes, and her cloak, and the grass beneath was prickling her ankles, but Noe didn't care. This was the closest she ever had to freedom, and she wasn't about to waste that.

Eventually, she stops at a clearing, legs numb and chest heaving as exhaustion finally takes its toll. Noe coughs, out of air, but she stays standing, her hands resting on her knees as she tries to catch her breath. Her eyes close, and a trickle of sweat trails down her chin despite the cold air of the night. Was she free?

Noe found it difficult to answer, though she smiled despite herself. Straightening her posture, Noe looks up at the dark sky and laughs for perhaps the first time since she was a child.

She was free.

"Come kill me face-to-face if you have any respect for yourself.”

The hostile remark cuts Noe off from her temporary elation, and she turns around to face the speaker. Short dark hair with a streak of grey greets her sight, and Noe recognizes the girl immediately. "Pyrrha?"

What little happiness she'd felt before, including all her determination to defy Mikhail, disappears in the span of a second--replaced by a burdening sense of fear and panic. "Look, if Mikhail sent you--" she swallows, the words caught in her throat. Did he, really? It seemed unlikely. But... "Just...just pretend you never saw me, please. I can't go back there. T-tell him...tell him you killed me."

As she speaks, Noe backs away, farther into the clearing, as far from Pyrrha as possible. Maybe she shouldn't have told Pyrrha that. It was no doubt going to be easy for her to kill Noe, and the story she'd give Mikhail would be as believable as possible.

Meyneth Meyneth

Last edited:
If Mikhail sent me? Pyrrha blinked, her eyes narrowed - but Noe, she realized, was backing away.

She lunged. In one flash of a moment, Noe’s back slammed into the nearest tree trunk, breath knocking out of her in one quick gasp. Pyrrha’s hand pinned the base of her neck; white-hot sparks rippled over her fingers.

“Tell me what the hell is going on,” she snarled. “Is this some kind of trick? Because you Silravens are not as clever as you think you are.”

But there were no footsteps, no nocked arrows. Just Noe’s rapid breathing and her wide, wild eyes. Pyrrha leaned in harder.

DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird

Pain flares up Noe's back as a sudden force pushes her towards a tree, and all the breath she'd been trying to catch just a second ago escapes in a second. She tries to speak, but Pyrrha's fingers wrap around her neck before she could even utter a word. No, no. Her heart hammers loud in her chest, panic gripping at her whole being, and for a moment all she could think of is how familiar this feeling is--how frequently she felt it in the hands of Mikhail. The hot sparks prickling at her skin don't help at all. Instinctively, Noe's leg kicks up, aimless and desperate, but it hits Pyrrha square in the stomach. The impact is enough for the princess to release Noe, whose immediate reaction is to stay back as racking coughs took over her body.

"Oh yeah? That's good, because I'm not a Silraven and I've never been one. These bloodlines can burn in Vralla's halls for all I care!" she gasps, almost screaming, giving Pyrrha a glare. Anger flares inside her for but a moment--she wasn't exactly sure if Pyrrha knew how Mikhail treated her, but what she did sparked the anger in Noe all the same. "What the hell is going on is none of your business. Now get back to whatever evening walk you were having and forget I was ever here. If the monster you call king asks, tell him I'm as good as dead."

She takes a few more moments to catch her breath, the muscles in her body beginning to ache. Hopefully Pyrrha got the message to leave her alone.

Meyneth Meyneth

Last edited:
Noe’s knee slammed into her stomach. She stumbled back, gagging, too stunned to right herself and lunge again.

"That's good, because I'm not a Silraven and I've never been one. These bloodlines can burn in Vralla's halls for all I care!" Noe shrieked. "What the hell is going on is none of your business. Now get back to whatever evening walk you were having and forget I was ever here. If the monster you call king asks, tell him I'm as good as dead."

“What the hell are you talking about?” Pyrrha snapped back, gasping around the pain in her stomach. Noe should have taken her moment of weakness and stabbed her in the chest. Instead, she was standing across the clearing, rummaging in her satchel and trembling like a cornered rabbit.

The bag. The anger. “Are you running away?” Pyrrha couldn’t keep the astonishment out of her voice.

But there was no time for confusion; she had spent far too long in one spot. At least Mikhail had one fewer person to hunt her down.

“Listen,” she growled with a new venom. She didn’t risk stepping closer. “I’m not on an evening walk. Pretend you never saw me, and I’ll pretend I never saw you. Alright?”

She did not get the chance to find out if it was alright. With no warning except a whoosh of air, an arrow shot into the ground beside her.

She froze.

“Back to the palace.” A man’s voice, low and gravelly. Pyrrha only dared turn her head. A semicircle of royal guard lined the trees, bows raised, arrows pulled taut. “Both of you.”

For a moment, Noe just stares at Pyrrha, grey eyes still hardened to a glare. She straightens herself up, adjusting the satchel's strap on her shoulder, before turning her head away from Pyrrha and to the direction of the woods beyond. She figured there was no point in answering Pyrrha's questions--it's not like the princess cared, either way. There was no point in involving Pyrrha further--plus, Noe had spent far too long in this specific area. If she wanted to escape successfully, she had to go, now, and fast. Confused princesses be damned. They weren't going to ever see each other again, anyway.

"I'm not on an evening walk. Pretend you never saw me, and I’ll pretend I never saw you. Alright?"

The statement stops Noe from even starting her tracks, and she turns her head back to Pyrrha. It didn't take long for the dots to connect in her head. The previous heat of the moment had prevented Noe from noticing one certain detail that would have given it all away from the start--Pyrrha's hair, once long, now cut short. She allows herself a second to process such things before beginning to walk away. There was no need for an answer. Might as well start the pretending now, right?

She doesn't even get to take a second step before the hiss of an arrow pierces through the air.

A familiar voice pierces the momentary silence, and once Noe whips her head around she is met with an even more familiar face, aiming a bow right at the two of them. Darragh, Noe remembers, having been there when Mikhail had assigned him as the new Captain of the Guard. His men, clad in plate armor, were lining the trees, bowstrings pulled at the ready. There were at least a dozen or more of them forming a semicircle in the foliage.

"There are arrows waiting if either of you try to escape," Darragh adds, adjusting his bow for better aim. "And believe me, my men are very good at shooting them."

Noe's heart was hammering in her chest, and it took all of her willpower not to freeze right then and there. There was no way to get out of this, not without having an arrow or more piercing their bodies--but by Vralla, she knew death was better than having to go back to Mikhail. With that thought in mind, Noe takes one step towards Pyrrha's direction--the guards' eyes darted towards her in response. Their bows were still aimed, arrows nocked, but no one dared shoot. Perhaps...Noe thinks, taking a few more steps. Still, no one shoots. It's enough of a confirmation for Noe as she continues to walk towards Pyrrha, eventually standing in front of her but facing the semicircle of guards.

"I'm afraid you'd have to kill me if you want me back at the palace, good sir." Noe starts, beginning to question why she opened her mouth in the first place, but moving forth nonetheless. There was no turning back now. "Surely dragging a body back to Mikhail isn't a problem?"

Darragh's face evidently darkens.

"Or, is it?" she adds, one hand trembling behind her back. She could almost hear her heartbeat now, blood pumping in her ears.

Were the bows only for a show of intimidation, perhaps?

"I suggest you step aside, Noe." Darragh finally answers. "You are right--Mikhail has orders to bring you back alive." He darts his eyes behind Noe, directly at Pyrrha. "I can't say the same for the Kingslayer here,"

Meyneth Meyneth

Last edited:
Kingslayer.

Kingslayer.

Fuck Noe doing... whatever she was doing. Fuck the guards, fuck getting shot. Pyrrha's face twisted into something dark and hard.

"I'm sorry," she snapped, "who killed the king? Because it wasn't fucking me!"

It didn't even take thought anymore - magic seared through her core and she clenched her fists and a white-hot column, sparking like lightning, stabbed down from the sky and into the ground. The head guard screamed, dropped his bow, clutching an arm encased in charred black cloth.

Shouts erupted. Men scrambled through the underbrush. She heard the click of a released arrow just as pain exploded in her calf.

She lurched forward with a shriek that dropped into a growl in an instant. She whipped around to face the guard who had fired, whose eyes went wide, scrambling to run as another column of magic speared towards him. Pyrrha didn't wait to watch the aftermath.

She turned back to the head guard. His right arm hung limply at his side, but he made a valiant effort of holding up his crossbow and and turning to yell at a fleeing comrade, who paid no attention. All the posts to his left were abandoned. Did they run or had she killed them? And did she want to laugh at the sight or vomit?

She supposed it didn't matter. Faintly, her gut twisted.

She let the rest of her magic go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back