Literature Who are some of your fav authors?

4eyedintrovert

In no particular order:
(books I've read by them in parenthasis)
L.A. Meyer (Bloody Jack series)
Bruce CoVille (The Magic Shop series)
Jeffery Deaver (The Devil's Teardrop)
Paul Blauner (Man of the Hour) (<--- also one of the writers for L&O: SVU ;) )
David Baldacci (Zero Day)
John Grisham (The Pelican Brief)
James Patterson (Cross)
John Green (ALL)
Nick Lake (Blood Ninja series)
Rodman Philbrick (Freak the Mighty)
Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet in Heaven)
J.D. Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye)

Terry Pratchett (the Discworld series). Unfortunately, he died recently, so no more new books but he wrote a lot of them to enjoy still.

Ursula le Guin
Lian Hearn
Robin Hobb
George r r Martin
Hilary Mantel
Haruki Murakami
Orson Scott Card
Diana Wynne Jones

My current faves:

Brandon Sanderson
Elizabeth Acevedo
George RR Martin
Neil Gaiman
JK Rowling
Laini Taylor
Terry Pratchett
Roxane Gay
Patrick Rothfuss
Scott Lynch
Dennis E Taylor
Katherine Arden
Garth Nix
Joe Abercrombie
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Stephen King (His writing is pretty basic, but I live for his plots)
JK Rowling
George RR Martin
Mercedes Lackey-Valedmar Series(A little dramatic as far as characterization goes...but she's okay)
James Patterson-Maximum Ride and Witch & Wizard
Danielle Steele
John Green
The ladies who wrote the Beautiful Creatures series
Cornelia Funke
Mary Sharratt-The Real Minerva, Vanishing Point
Linda Buckley-Archer
Victoria Aveyard
Scott Westerfield-Uglies Series
Veronica Roth
Sarah J. Maas
Margaret Atwood

Alaxandre Dumas (I’m obsessed with the Three musketeers)
Jane Austin (i mean...i am what i am)
JK Rowling
Margaret Atwood
Nora Roberts
C.S. Lewis
Lewis Carroll
Anna Sewell (black beauty was my favorite book when i was younger)

and I’m sure I’m missing a few

Jodi Picoult, Stephen King, Chuck Palahniuk (and not just because of Fight Club-- actually, I haven't even read that one yet), Andrea Gibson (poetry), Stieg Larsson, Nicholas Sparks (so sue me, whatever), Emma Donoghue (mostly because of Room, but I've been meaning to read more of her stuff too), Alice Sebold (the Lovely Bones).

Horse riding and reading were always two of my favourite hobbies. A fellow horse riding friend gave that book to me when she stopped practicing. The edition she gave to me has such beautiful watercolour illustrations! It still is one of my favourite books <3 the film is also nice, but well, the book is often better than the film, and I do agree with it in this case as well.

Oh the edition I had wasn't nearly as lovely. I think the librarian had gifted it to me because I borrowed it so often, but it was hard back, the pages were yellowed, thick and well worn, and I adored that old book. And you are exactly right, the film was wonderful in it's own right, but the book will always be so much better.
I envy your list of authors. It has reminded me that I used to enjoy reading as a hobby and should probably get back into it. Veterinary science journals were my preference for awhile, but I was in the field at the time, so I confess an ulterior motive to reading them other than just simple interest.

For me, I guess it would be Haruki Murakami and Stephen King. I like Murakami's themes and characterization and King because horror is just a genre I like. I enjoyed Kostick's Epic as well though that's the only book I've read from him.

I'm not too big of a fiction reader I realize. Non-fiction is where it's at for me.

Old books are the best books though. That vanilla like smell, it is just perfect <3
Unfortunately, it isn't my whole list hahah In fact, even though I love the ones mentioned, there are many more whose works I appreciate deeply, but these were just the ones that came to my mind at the time. In fact, my book collection tends to expand more into non-English literature, even though English literature is extremely rich and something I'd like to explore more in the future. Lately, as we're in lockdown, I have been getting back into reading as well, but it was something I stopped doing for a few years consistently, due to school.
That's interesting, I am studying Veterinary Medicine at the moment, therefore big part of the scientific literature I read is focused on such matters as well. Mostly research papers and journals too.
Oh, that’s wonderful! I studied vet med in college and then spent 15 years in the field as both a tech and practice manager. I worked on everything from reptiles to horses that cost more than my house. It was a big part of my life and there isn’t a day that goes by that i don’t miss it just a little. Reading journals kept me sharp. And i adored trying to catch a diagnosis before the doctor saw the patient. It was all fun for me. I wish you good luck with your studies!

In order of awesomeness
Tamora Pierce - Emelan and then Tortall
Rainbow Rowell - Simon Snow Series, Fangirl
JK Rowling - huuuuuge potterhead
Victoria Thompson - the Gaslight Mystery series

James Dashner - The Maze Runner series (and anything by him really)

Erin Hunter - Again, anything by this author(s) XD

Amie Kaufman - I started with the Ice Wolves series and went into Unearthed and Illuminae so... again, anything she writes XD

Anna Sewell - Black Beauty; who doesn’t love that book?

I read a lot, so there are definitely more I love but these are my favs. <3

Haruki Murakami. I have only read the entire 1Q84 series but it was enough to leave a major impact on me. The only thing is I feel like maybe the ending got lost in translation or something was missing. Either way it was a good read.

Diana Wynne Jones. Howl's Moving Castle.

Philippa Carr aka Eleanor Hibbert. The Daughters of England series. Lament for a Lost Lover, The Love Child, and The Song of the Siren.

I won't list them all here (or I'll be here a while, and feel bad for any I've forgotten), just popped in to appreciate the Dianna Wynne Jones mentions.

Huge part of my childhood, those books. The Chrestomanci series in particular definitely influenced the kind of writing/themes/worlds/aesthetic that I like to this day.
Power of Three is another one I specifically remember. And of course Howl's Moving Castle.

I just love the worlds she creates and the way she does it... I really need to gather together all of her books and just sit and read through them all, like I did with Discworld.

Also I love the idea of her annoying Tolkien by actually showing up to his lectures.

I love Kelsey Sutton's Other Plane series ('Some Quiet Place' and 'Where Silence Gathers') although I've gotta say I was a little disappointed by Gardenia by comparison... Not that it wasn't good, just that it wasn't AS good, you know?

Stephen King; I love my horrors.

Joseph Delaney- This author I find to be underrated. He created a series of books that chilled me every night I read them. If anyone has seen the god-awful movie named The Seventh Son, it was based on his work. Do yourself a favour and read the books; they are far superior to the movie.

This is an easier question than "What's your favorite book?" somehow xD

Maggie Stiefvater - The Raven Cycle series, The Scorpio Races, The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, All the Crooked Saints
She actually inspires some of my writing style, so I love her writing to bits! 😊
E. Lockhart - Most notably the Ruby Oliver novels; she has gifted me the wonder that is Noel DuBoise and Ruby Oliver
Marissa Meyer - The Lunar Chronicles. ALWAYS!
Rick Riordan - I will always love Uncle Rick for all the laughs he's given me
Erin Hunter - Even if I haven't read Seekers, I have read the other three series (mostly) and like escaping to those worlds. Nothing beats cats 👌

There's some others but those are the main ones I return to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back