• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern White Hughes

Skylord Nexus

Dabbler in the Dark Arts
Orion sighed to himself as he swiftly made his way from roof-top to roof-top towards the ever-growing sounds of panic in the distance. He'd been in this city a few years now and yet he still hadn't gotten used to the amount of crime it had. In all honesty, it kind of destroyed his faith in humanity a bit, especially at some of the more bloody crime scenes he'd come across from time to time, it was almost enough to make him want to go home...almost. Yet he couldn't deny that without him things would have been somewhat worse, truthfully he wished he could be around more so fewer people got hurt, but that was the downside of leading a double life.

On the other hand, that would probably annoy his flat-mate Melissa, he didn't know how it would, but it probably would. That being said, Orion didn't think the girl was an inherently bad person, bratty? Yes. Bossy? Yes. but not really bad from what he could tell. Indeed, living with her for this short amount of time had been 'interesting'. At first, he'd been slightly worried about any awkwardness surrounding two people of the opposite gender share an apartment, instead, he got their current and part of him wished for the awkwardness.

Of course, now was no time for reminiscing on past mistakes as he arrived at the source of the commotion. Orion lept from the building landing on the tarmac road beneath him and his cards began spinning around him as he looked towards the issue at hand.

“Where is the real cargo?” she said in a rather annoyed tone. Melissa was standing right next to a very broken truck that had it’s engine torn from the front. With her telekinesis she held the driver up from the ground, who was definitely taller than her, narrowing her eyes which were visible even through the mask. In the man’s defense he raised his hands for mercy pleading for his life while the rest of her goons were clearing out the street for any on-lookers.

Melissa needed to get this information fast. She could only use the excuse of “going for a run” so many times at night before her flate-mate Orion got suspicious. Honestly he was starting to make her frustrated. “Sorry I woke up late. I’ll wash my dish later,” what do you mean you woke up late!?! Can you not function like a normal human being?!? Honestly, the nerve of that guy.

Regardless of what she was thinking of she needed to pay attention onto the driver. That was until goodie two shoes dropped from up above. A sigh escaped from her mask as she looked at the ground. Dropping the man Melissa knew all too well who it was that always tampered with her business. “All I ask is for one night...ONE NIGHT! That he doesn’t disturb the oh so powerful Empress,” Melissa whispered to herself. After a few moments she regained her composure and spun around to face her nemesis. She then slowly paced her way to the front of the wreck to set herself between Orion and her other goons plus the man. “Get him to the hideout. We’re not done with him,” she said while not daring to have her eyes leave the hero. “Heya, do ya want us to help ya Miss Empress?” one of her subordinates offered before they can start her command. “No, no this is personal,” Melissa said while raising her hand lifting up the broken and warped engine. She had gained a few scars from her nemesis as their rivalry stemmed from many, many moons ago. “To whom do I owe the pleasure to for squashing you tonight?”

Orion looked over the scene going through the details in his head "Only one civilian, good. Small group of thugs, presumably no powers. 'Empress', seems focused on me, also good." He swiftly pulled one of his cards out and looked at it "Jack of diamonds, good" He then chucked it into the air where it exploded into white light. The air began to get colder and a mist began to form, this mist began coalescing into two humanoid forms which stood either side of the hero towering above him at around eight feet. Orion pointed to the group of goons "Disable them but leave the civilian unharmed. You are not to kill them." Both ice creatures let out a strange, almost wind like sound before stomping off towards the minions.

Orion then looked to his target, she seemed set on fighting him and that was fine with him, it kept her from helping her little pets. He looked to the villainess in front of him with a cold stare as he spoke, his monotone voice showing no emotion "Who's who doesn't matter, by the end of this the only person you'll owe anything too is yourself for getting you into this mess, to begin with." He then pulled another card from the vortex of cads spiralling around him before looking at it "Hmm, three of spades." The hero then flicked the card towards his adversary where it quickly disintegrated, becoming a bolt of lightning heading towards her.

With her fingers, on the same hand, Melissa began to take apart the engine piece by piece once the little minions (who were in fact not little) pass. She had a little bit of faith in her goons. "Honestly you have never been great with comebacks," seeing a card thrown she reacted by placing the main mass of what she hadn't pricked off yet to protect herself. "but don't worry about that. Wouldn't be the only thing you're not good at-" she was cut off by the engine and bolt colliding which caused a loud ZZZAAAPP! sound. With the hunk of metal now electrically charged Melissa shoved her hand toward her nemesis pushing the large piece of matter toward Orion.

Not even waiting to see if Melissa landed the attack she immediately turned back to look at her goons being themselves. One was beating his fists upon the ice forms hand which held them in place while the rest were either trying to help free the goon by kicking the feet or attempting to climb it. But lastly there was one goon running as quickly as possible with the man screaming for help. The ice golem practically just two strides away from completing its task, Melissa crushed a light pole at the bottom of the sidewalk in order for it to fall right on top of the nuisance. That was the idea of course. She had no clue if it would actually stop the thing. With her guard down she knew that there was only a few seconds to turn back toward Orion.

Orion rolled his eyes at Melissa's pointless comments, once again replying with his monotone voice "And you've never been good at being quiet yet you don't see me complaining, even when it gives me a headache." The hero then rubbed his head just to drive the point home before. Though the continued shaking of the wasps' nest would have to wait because he currently had a bigger, and faster, problem to deal with. The mage held out his hand and grabbed another of his cards, once again looking at it "King of Hearts. Seems I'm getting a lot of variety today." He proceeded to crush the card in his hand, causing it to erupt into flames that formed a blade-like shape.

Wasting no time, Orion slashed at the oncoming projectile, the intense heat of the blade slicing the engine in half as it flew either side of him. A second later the hero inhaled sharply as he felt a sharp pain in his left arm, and when he looked he saw a small cut across it, apparently he was a little too close when he sliced the engine. He took it in stride however and quickly advanced towards the villainess, his sword in hand ready to deal with any additional projectiles. And with her distracted Orion had a perfect opportunity to attack, using his free hand to draw another card before chucking it at Melissa where it turned into a small dagger made of shadow.

Meanwhile, the ice golems had been dealing with the goons rather well, and whilst Melissa's had harmed it quite a bit with numerous large cracks across its body, it still seemed to be healthy enough to fight. It would also seem that the golems had some form of intelligence and the harm one broke off and went to save the civilian whilst the other stayed and fight the goons which it seemed to be doing a very good job at as it proceeded to pick up one of the unfortunate minions and chucked him towards his boss.

Melissa yelped when she felt the cold dark and very sharp blade pierce her right shoulder. Immediately she dropped her right hand and using her left to hold on to her now injured shoulder. The metal nit bits that were held by her fell to the ground. "You ruin everything! How can I ever stay shut when everything you do hurts my plans or myself?!" she hovered her hand right were the hilt of the blade was and yanked it out with her powers. "Why don't you get a taste of your own medicine?" she held the knife firmly with her left hand while her right hand flicked a few nuts & bolts toward her nemesis who was closing the distance.

Then she heard a screaming that was growing louder resonating behind her. Melissa turned to see the terrible throw of the ice golem and actually landed on top of Melissa. Or was that on purpose? She wasn't sure but the shoulder injury along with the two hundred pound man now were driving her mad. "Can't you lumbering oafs do anything right?!" with a flick of her wrist she sent the man off of her. The impact nocked the wind out of her but she managed to sit up catching her breath. She had thrown out her back but was still unwilling to give up. But sadly Melissa lost track of Orion. Frantically she turned her head to see where he was while holding the dark knife ready to strike.

Some of the goons looked at how the ice golem threw one of their biggest man like they were just toys. Hence why the rest just scattered like ants going back to their colony. Back with the one goon who still had the hostage, they had finally been caught leaving the hostage to now be a free-stoge. This was not going as planned...or was it?

Orion was unfazed by the verbal assault from his nemesis, god knows he was used to it by now. He also wasn't particularly fazed by the junk sent flying towards him as he swiftly slashed at then, sending small balls of molten metal slashing onto the road. The hero really found her annoying though, if it wasn't her high pitched screaming, it was her pointless insults which she still didn't seem to grasp didn't phase him, or it was the fact that she was just so generically evil, it was like she came straight from a comic book.

The ice golems didn't bother giving chase to the minions and instead stood either side of the hostage which didn't seem to do much for the poor guy as they seemed to scare him more. Even scarier for the man was that any time he moved away from them they moved back towards him so it got to the point where he was running back and forth on the street while being slowly persued by to eight-foot ice golems.

Orion meanwhile was ready to end this, he needed to get back home and do the dishes before Melissa got back, and he'd be damned if he had to spend more time being yelled at by girls with anger issues. By the time the villainess turned around, she would see the hero right in front of her and he pointed the flaming sword at her neck "It's over. Surrender. And don't even think about using that dagger." Orion then waved his left hand and the dagger dissolved into a dark mist before that to disappeared.

Seeing that the weapon she stole was no longer available Melissa smiled in a cocky manner. She used her free arm to provide support while she just sat there all smug-like. “I’m sorry but did you forget what my powers are?” before he could answer she pulled out a double edged blade and stabbed the two of them in the head. Not literally but that’s what it felt like when she blasted Orion with a concussive telepathic blast that equally hurt her.

Closing her eyes Melissa fell to the floor again rubbing her temples in distress. It felt like a migraine times a hundred. “Goon!” she yelled but immediately regretted because it only made her head hurt more. “carry me now..” she said in a hushed tone. The two hundred pound man slowly got up still a little hurt from being thrown by the golems and Melissa. “I’m onit Miss. Empress. Bhut please stahp tossin meh around like-eh rag doll,” the strong man said while gingerly getting a hold of her as to not hurt Melissa’s shoulder. With her eyes closed she still rolled her eyes. “Just do as I say and move. Goodie-two shoes statues should be occupied no. So mush.”

With that the man didn’t give more thought to it and only glanced over to see the condition that Orion was in right before running into an alleyway.”

Orion was hit by the sudden realisation of what she meant millisecond before he felt the horrendous pain pierce his skull. Instantly he fell to the side of Melissa clutching his head, at the same time his sword and ice golems both faded away to nothing. Amidst the pain, the hero was able to briefly open his eyes in time to see his nemesis be carted away by one of her goons. He'd kick himself right now if he'd been able to move.

About a minute later the pain had mostly subsided, though he still had a killer migraine. He kept an eye on the hostage until the authorities arrived. at which point he took off, by this point the 'empress' was long gone which meant she'd be back soon enough, and if Orion was lucky it would be after the headache subsided. At the moment though he had more pressing issues, and like most things in his life, it was in the form of a girl. A small chuckle echoed around him, causing the hero the roll his eyes "If you've come to help I'd appreciate it, but I feel like an annoying comment is more likely." At that, a girl with red hair lept down from a nearby building "Well maybe if you didn't get yourself into these situations I wouldn't...but I'll be nice today seeing as though you have a little bitty headache." This cause Orion to sharply exhaled and respond with the slightest bit of irritation "You know I still have enough cards left to freeze you in place, Liz."

Orion had known Liz for most of his life and was probably the closest thing he had to a best friend, it certainly helped that they ran in similar circles. Elizabeth was by no means a bad person, she just wouldn't do the right thing unless she gained something from it, like money, or a cure to the boredom that plagues the powerful and deadly. The two currently had an understanding, Liz would help Orion out when he needed information, and in return, he'd be 'busy' when some of her other clients were hard at work "It is a good thing you're here though. I want you to find out what she was after." Liz rubbed her chin in thought for a second before shrugging "Eh, sure. I have some free time. I'll give you a call if I find anything. Cya around magic man!" "Go to hell you poor excuse for a ninja." With that she disappeared into the night, leaving Orion with one last issue: Getting home and doing the dishes before Melissa got back.

Once Melissa was at the hideout she was immediately getting stitched up from her injury. With a makeshift doctor in the group, she was in better hands than if one of her other goons were to be doing it. The person operating on Melissa is majoring in the medical field and the girl hoped to become a doctor one day. “There, all patched up for you. But please wear a cast and try not to move it will ya?” the girl known as “Nurse” told Melissa. They mever used their real names or even shown each others their faces. All she needed was a group of people who didn’t ask many questions but were willing to do her bidding.

“Whatever you say doc,” Melissa said in a sarcastic tone. Sitting up on the dinner table, she made her way to the edge of the bed and began walking to the exit. But before she can leave, Melissa turned back and asked “How’s my mom doing?” other than “Nurse” no one else knew Melissa’s real identity. The makeshift doctor hesitated on saying anything for a moment “She’s fine. Still in a coma, but other wise fine,” there was an awkward pause “you should visit her sometimes Empress,” Melissa looked at the ground on the edge of shedding a tear. “You know that she wouldn’t want that,” and like that she left.

The keys to her flat began to jingle amongst the metal locks separating the outside world to her home and abode. Once finally unlocked, Melissa walked into the hallway shutting the door and locking it. She was wondering if Orion was home. Would he ask questions? Oh what would she do when he sees her cast? *RECORD SCRATCH* H-his dishes....THEY’RE NOT DONE YET!!!!!

Orion was sprinting home as fast as he could, leaping from roof-top to roof-top in a beeline for his home. When he eventually reached the building he paused for a second and then facepalmed, it seemed that in his rush the hero had forgotten to ditch his disguise. It was at times like this that he was thankful to have magic at his disposal and with a though his costume was gone, replaced by his casual wear. He proceeded to run his hand through his hair, causing it to changes from white to blond and his eyes to go from red to violet.

For a blissful second, Orion thought he had avoided a most horrible fate, unfortunately for him though just as he opened the door a hair pitched screech entered his ears, causing his to groan loudly "Relax, will you? I was running a little late, I'll clean them no-" His eyes then fell on his housemate, or more importantly the cast she wore, and he quickly approached her and pointed at the cast, concern apparent in his voice "And what is this exactly? How did you manage to hurt yourself?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back