• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Whimsical Tirade, Or Rather, Just A Role Play Partner Search...

PauciloquentPumpkin

Pumpkin Patch
A Little About Me
Hi! OK, enough about me. Just kidding. :P I like orange, pumpkins, and everything to do with autumn and Halloween. I like writing, creating stories, and doing so collaboratively together with other people. I enjoy a variety of genres; sci-fi, slice-of-life, fantasy and superhero, to name a few. I'm also a little chatty. I enjoy thoroughly discussing plots and planning things out before writing, rather than just blindly replying to each other's posts over and over. Though I see the appeal of that sometimes.

I like to think I'm an above average writer. Though I would hesitate calling myself an expert, master or the like. I don't care much for bragging, but I think it's a good idea to talk a little about that, to help fill your expectations of me. I don't often use BBCodes in my IC posts, and I don't use super fancy formatting, although I will format dialogue, and might occasionally use various types of formatting, like bold, or bullets, depending on how I think it can help increase readability or add to the story, but it's not often. Below are a few writing examples. They won't have a huge amount of background, as it's not meant for world-building, but more as a typical post that you can expect from me.

Fantasy

God rays shine through cracks in the cloud, piercing the veil of rain. The inclement weather might have been a beautiful sight, if it weren't for the firebolts blasting around the area. The expansive open field was dotted with thousands of soldiers. Claudius, a master magician in the king's army, surveys the battlefield. He was in charge of magical defense, setting up various barriers and blocking long range magic.

"Sir, a mage was spotted circling around to our western flank," comes the grisly voice of one of Claudius' guards.

"Right, I'll keep an eye out," replies Claudius, his voice strained from chanting spells.

Not long after, a large blazing boulder comes rocketing from the west. It's size indicates that it was cast by multiple magicians. It could cause a lot of destruction. Claudius sighs, hating this part of his job. He begins chanting, his voice breaking from the strain of casting spells all day. The air around the meteor begins to shimmer. In the blink of an eye the meteor collapses on itself. Moments later, the meteor reappears above a large group of enemy soldiers. One of Claudius' guards falls, sacrificing his life to power the spells Claudius casts. He tries to put it out of his mind so he can focus on the battle ahead of him, death and destruction spreading among the enemies. The only solace Claudius gets is knowing the enemy's spell is being used against them.
Slice-of-Life

"No, we can't do that. The competition has very specific guidelines! There's no way we can pull that off," Boris comments incredulously.

Sierra retorts, "The robotics side of things is simple. We just need to figure out the math. We can use an inverse function on the photon generator. This should give us the power we need." She begins writing down formulas and theories.

Boris paces, hating that he was partnered with Sierra. She's notoriously difficult to work with. Not that she's not capable, but that she is on a different level, making communication with her tough. He sighs, "That's just not..." He stops, looking up, dumbfounded, "Wait, that could work. I, I was thinking we'd have to use massive capacitors to store the power, limiting mobility. But this... this is genius, haha!" Boris chirps gleefully.

Sierra grunts her reply as she moves to begin building the robot. She assembles pieces created using the 3-D printer, deftly moving her hands, darting from piece to tool to another piece. Sweat begins to bead on her forehead as she focuses. She works quickly and quietly, making it seem more like a solo project. Boris looks over her shoulders, and despite a 150 IQ, looks befuddled.

As the robot began taking shape, spherical, with appendages cradling it, Sierra handed Boris a sheet of paper containing formulas. "Start working on the generator," she said apathetically.
Sci-fi

Clayton, out scouting the asteroids for materials, came across an outcropping of buildings. The ship's initial scans show that they are abandoned. Despite the inherent dangers, Clayton's curiosity always gets the better of him. He contacts his partner, Tae'gon, to let him know there's exploration to be had. Dust begins kicking up as the ship nears the surface. A slight jolt rocks the ship as it touches down.

Tae'gon is a Ctenotus, a race of reptilian humanoids. He is short, with blue-green scaly skin. He has an elongated snout, large nostrils and large eyes, a nebulous mix of yellow and green. Unlike Clayton, a human, Ctenotus don't need to breathe. They are fully capable of surviving the vacuum of space with no suit to protect them. So while Clayton suits up, Tae'gon prepares by strapping himself with various weapons. Pistols, a shotgun, and various explosives.

Tae'gon calls out to Clayton, "Kla'ton, I'm ready."

Clayton, in a muffled reply, "Yup, yup. Nearly there." He finishes packing a small tool bag, filled with tech gadgets and tools, "Alright," he says, a jubilant tone in his voice as he makes his way to the airlock with Tae'gon, "Let's go exploring!"

The nearby star was low on the horizon, bringing long shadows from the mountains, like black fingers touching the buildings. There was an orange light being cast upon the buildings where the shadows haven't yet touched. The two man team made their way, entering the nearest building. The structures were all similar. Large concrete cubes, all facing the same direction. This one contained didn't contain anything, save one thing. A small cloud comprised of millions of tiny particles, blue, black, white and every shade between them, all swirling together in the middle of the building.

Tae'gon and Clayton share a look before Tae'gon mumbles, "You're the scientist, what are we looking at, Kla'ton?"

A Little About You
You are someone who can write multiple detailed paragraphs. Nothing against more casual role players, but I can't accept a partner that writes in single sentences. I also can't accept someone that never writes more than a single paragraph. This is not to say that a single paragraph is never acceptable, although a single sentence is not. You also have decent grammar and either spelling, or spell check. Nothing special, but at least make an effort to make things easy to read. You also have at least a little bit of creativity and can add to the plot. I can carry things a lot myself, but don't be afraid to disagree with me and suggest your own ideas. If we can't end up agreeing, just means we weren't meant to be partners, no big deal, I'll still be your friend. :)

The Plots
Jugglers & Acrobats... & Space Pirates?: Sci-Fi

Despite the title, this will be on the darker side of things. My character will be a young female acrobat, early to mid 20's, and yours will be a young male juggler, same age. My character has been part of a space pirate crew for several years. These pirates have killed her family, and taken her captive as entertainment for the crew. She performs daily and is treated poorly. Barely given food, and regularly beaten for fun. She has martial combat experience, but is powerless against the pirates.

Your character is a juggler, and skilled in the ways of a thief. Slight of hand, magic tricks, lock picking and the the like. The story begins with your character's capture, where he meets with mine. They are forced into entertaining the crew together. The story will be one of enslavement, struggle and survival. We can create more characters that join throughout the story.
Epic Quest: Fantasy

We'll be playing four characters each, for a party of eight. Some characters are expected to die. Magic is common. Everyone has some magic. Magic is weak though, it is used like a tool to help accomplish things, rather than something that just does things for you. Like a hammer and nail, rather than a nail gun. Someone skilled with a blade fighting someone skilled with magic could go either way.

It's set in typical medieval times. It will start with our characters being a part of a town. They will get to know each other and deal with problems in the town, like bandit raids, or creature attacks. They will eventually be sent upon a quest to save the land, travelling across vast distances and dealing with a plethora of problems.
Clockwork Boyfriend: Slice-of-Life/Fantasy

This story will involve three characters each. The main characters, yours, a woman with no family, 30-40 years old, who grew up reading every book about magic they could find, in love with stories of fairies and dragons and the like. And my character, a manufactured man made of gears and metal, with human-like skin and jagged, mechanical movements. The woman is lonely, and through a shady website, orders herself a state-of-the-art "boyfriend", but got more than she bargained for.

The story takes place between two worlds. The present-day modern world, and a fantasy world, set among kingdoms where wars are waged with swords and magic. We will have one other character each, per world, bringing the total to six characters, three each. You can create any character you wish for these ones. The modern world is fairly self explanatory. The fantasy world is one of magic. Mages are powerful, but luckily limited in only being able to carry a single spell at a time, whether one of fire, healing or defense, etc. Mages can change their spells, but the magic is contained in large stone obelisks, making them impossible to change when away. What makes our characters unique is that the woman can cast spells like a normal mage, but the clockwork man can hold spells like an obelisk, so she can change spells on the fly.

We can develop the story further together, but I have basic ideas already. We will be traveling between worlds, dealing with problems of normal life, and problems of high fantasy, back and forth.
Demons Within: Slice-of-Life/Horror

We are two tortured souls. My character, a female with schizophrenia, suffers from seeing demons, people who are out to get her, and other illusions. Your character, a male with PTSD, suffered from a childhood trauma. His parents were violently murdered in front of him, and to this day he has flashbacks, outbursts of anger and fear.

They both attend the same university, and both strive hard to maintain some semblance of a life, though neither knows the other. The thing neither knows though is that the demons they see are real. The male's parents were killed by demons, though his memory is hazy, and many psychologists have dismissed them as the mind trying to reason things. And the demons the female sees are also real, not illusions.

One day, their minds are transported to the demon realm, where they meet. The demon realm has strange properties. Strength and speed are tied to the mind, not the body. This allows the two to combat the horrors they come by. It's also possible to warp the reality around them, both for our characters, and their enemies. Over time the two will learn more about the demon realm, and fight against the demon lords that threaten not only them, but the whole planet.
Bad Guys: Slice-of-Life

For this one, we'll be playing bad guys. We'll play two characters each. We'll start the story with the two main characters. Mine is a female college student. She's a socially awkward tech/robotics genius. She starts off with no affiliations with anything illegal. Your character can be either gender, and a student at the same college. Your character has ties to various illegal dealings, such as black market stuff, theft, and various non-murder illegal activities. While a criminal, your character has a kind heart, having reasons for why they do what they do, and a genuine developing relationship with mine, rather than using them for their skills alone. We'll introduce the supporting characters later, and will complete our bad guy group.

Your character will befriend mine, and eventually convince/ask them to help out with crimes. None of the characters are murderers or rapists or other heinous types of criminals, but otherwise all types of illegal activity are fair game. The group will help each other commit crimes like bank robberies or stealing information to sell on the black market, and helping each other get out of trouble, like being caught by people, or jail breaks.
Dysfunctional Heroes: Superhero

The world is filled with super-powered people, both good and bad. They are nearly as numerous as unpowered civilians. We play a group of heroes. The strongest group on the planet. Our characters have a variety of abilities but each one is in a league of their own, capable of taking on nearly any situation, no matter the number of enemies, or their abilities or skill, alone. That is to say, if nothing goes wrong.

For all the power our heroes have, their downsides are extreme and debilitating. The only way they can generally make it through their missions is to rely on each other to have their backs. Luckily, they all get along with each other. They'll do whatever they can to help each other out. Which is a good thing, because they need it.
The Stone Ally & The Key: Fantasy

Magic exists in nature. No person can utilize magic. Spells can't be cast. Magic can be weaved into things from nature though. Magic can be weaved into weapons. Swords and bows, increasing strength, sharpness, accuracy, etc. Magic can be weaved into clothes, providing protection, from the elements or attacks. Magic can be weaved into buildings, allowing for impossible builds. Magic can be weaved into nearly anything, providing a variety of effects.

Mages exist, but not in the traditional sense. Mages weave magics into objects. They are akin to scientists. Long ago, there was a war going on. One that could destroy the world. The citizens of the planet against the darkness within the planet. Creatures made of darkness and magic rose up from the bowels of the planet, waging war on the world. At the time, there was a mage. The most powerful mage that ever lived. He was extremely intelligent, able to weave magic in ways that were unimaginable. He created a stone statue warrior. This warrior was so powerful, it's believed it was indestructible. It could defeat every creature it came across. It was strong enough to drive the darkness back into the planet, never to be seen again.

There was only one defect of the stone warrior. It would listen to anyone, good or bad. To combat this, the mage created a key. For all intents and purposes, it looks like an ordinary iron key. Only the person holding the key is able to give commands to the stone warrior. After the war against the darkness of the planet, the mage hid the stone warrior and the key away, in separate areas.

There has been no sign of the planet's darkness in thousands of years. Nowadays the planet is split, no longer united the way it once was. Kingdoms war against each other. There is an arms race for the stone warrior and the key, as well as other artifacts created by the mage. Our characters are friends. A pair of treasure hunters, trying to make a living, away from all the war. Unfortunately for them, they are going to end up getting roped into it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back