Experiences Which of your interest checks have gotten the most response?

funandcreativity

I’m new around here, and I was wondering the kind of role play ideas that tend to be most popular. So of all the interest checks and starters you’ve posted, which have gotten the most responses? Have you noticed a pattern?

And bonus question: are there any ideas you really want to RP but no one seems interested in?

It had the words 'gay' and 'novella' in the title. That was about it. I got like a dozen responses in two days. Fun times.

Here, you're more likely to find that LFRP ads made for specific plots aren't going to perform nearly as well as all calls do. I recommend making a master thread containing all of your RP preferences, plots, pairings, and whatever else you feel necessary. It's going to be a lot more successful than making a whole bunch of small topics (and someone correct me if I'm wrong - can't you only bump one of your LFRP ads at a time? I think having multiple active ones is frowned on) for individual ideas, unless that one thing is all you're after.

Fandom RPs are the most popular, followed by 'multiple settings'. At the bottom, I've noticed anything futuristic/realistic doesn't get a whole lot of traction. I can count the number of futuristic tags I see a day on one hand. As you get more niche, you also get less popular. Dystopian and cyberpunk are VERY rare. Space operas are practically nonexistent.

And for your final question: yes. It's weirdly difficult to find platonic RPs, especially ones in the niche genres like I mentioned. I've been poking around for weeks to try and find an idea involving an older character and a kiddo traversing the wastelands or dystopian city. Turns out combining novella, dystopian, and minor characters into one plot idea makes for an impossible ad...

Thanks for the advice! I’ll have to take that “everything in one thread“ suggestion into consideration. (And I checked the rules. They do indeed say, “Do not bump multiple threads in the same section at the same time.”)

Fandom RPs being the most popular is consistent with rest of the internet. Probably has something to do with knowing more or less what to expect, as opposed to taking chances with original content. Though it is strange that sci-fi isn’t very popular. Realistic I can kind of understand, but I would have thought there would be more interest in futuristic and space stuff.

I can believe there’s not a lot of interest in platonic, unfortunately. So much in these spaces revolves around romance. So much. Not that I don’t enjoy it myself; it’s just sad everything else you can explore in a story gets pushed to the wayside. Your idea does sound like fun! A new family (or existing family) finding a new life for themselves, with tons of possibility for what can happen along the way. I hope you can find someone to write it with.

I only ever do group RPs, so take my responses with a grain of salt -

Superhero school. By far.

Followed by "dream knights based on sailor moon s", and "zombie apocalypse in a fantasy world with only female spell casters".

I personally feel I get a better turnout when I title my interest checks with goofy/self aware titles, I think it's because naming a few specific tropes off the bat helps people get a more immediate idea of what to expect.

No worries. I’m mainly interested in group RPs myself.

I can see why superhero school is popular. That has widespread appeal.

That title stategy does sound like it would work. I feel like people generally tend to respond well to humor, but I could be wrong.

I feel like CanonXOC fandoms are the most popular here. I don't do those myself. In fact, I have a OCxOC fandom interest check up now and practically crickets all around.

If you want hits then gotta go for popular CanonXOC fandoms or supernatural fantasy type stuff.

Wow, really? Enough people are willing to play canons for OCs? Nothing against it; I’m just surprised. I always thought CanonXOC was frowned upon in most circles.

I wish you luck! OCxOC honestly needs more love.

Wow, really? Enough people are willing to play canons for OCs? Nothing against it; I’m just surprised. I always thought CanonXOC was frowned upon in most circles.

I wish you luck! OCxOC honestly needs more love.
It really does. I don't like CanonXOC or CanonXCanon because I don't like writing other people's characters. Half the fun of writing for me is creating my own characters.

Canon x OC is a tricky one. there are a lot of searches for OC looking for canon but I feel like in some fandoms there might be shortage of those who play specific canon. So it may be popular but I'm not sure if it's as successful as it is popular.
For group that'd be school rps, fantasy rps, and superhero rps, no doubt.

I don't have a search thread but I make sure everyone is aware of my main fandom and people contacted me for that fandom specifically. So I'd say that was the thing that got the most responses. XD

and someone correct me if I'm wrong - can't you only bump one of your LFRP ads at a time? I think having multiple active ones is frowned on)
That is correct. 1 thread per 24 hours. So it's more beneficial to have one thread with multiple plots than many small threads because you can't bump them all at once.

I’m new around here, and I was wondering the kind of role play ideas that tend to be most popular. So of all the interest checks and starters you’ve posted, which have gotten the most responses? Have you noticed a pattern?

And bonus question: are there any ideas you really want to RP but no one seems interested in?
I see a lot of fandom threads on here so far (well in the one x one section) and a lot of pairings that include typical roles/tropes (like Knight x Prince/Princess, Enemy x Enemy, that sort of thing). a lot of people like CanonxOC or CanonxCanon (I personally do not and much prefer original characters).

In the groups section I have seen A LOT of school, academy, mystery/murder/horror/thriller, fantasy, and super-something threads. There is the occasional futuristic, cyberpunk, and related threads but they don't seem to gain as much traction as the other genres.

Take my observations with grains of sand as I am new too, like 2 days old. but I have been sifting through several pages for something I really like.

In addition as no one seems to have mentioned it yet, the filter system does let you search for specific types of roleplays and you can search by last update of each individual thread. That might give you a more accurate answer for specific themes then just eyeballing it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! This is all very helpful.

Oh, it’s mainly OCs looking for canon. That’s more in line with my past experiences.

I have seen quite a few school/academy-based threads myself. And fantasy ones!

I’ll have to try searching for specific types of roleplays sometime. See what’s most popular within each genre.

In my own personal experience with Interest Checks, it varies.

There doesn't seem to be a set pattern. Some of my IC's which have had uber amounts of detail have gotten literally dozens of interested players, while others with uber detail have gotten 0 players. Some of my IC's with lots of picture references got lots of interested players, some got 0. Some of my IC's which were minimalistic got lots of interest, some got 0.

So it seems randomly hit and miss to me which is why I never hold onto any expectations. Often times it's about luck and posting when there are more people looking, and hopefully many who are looking are interested in the genre and the kind of story you want to RP.

Cheers!

Often times it's about luck....

I agree with this. I think that when people are looking for a game, they tend to do so in 'bursts', scanning the interest subforums often over a short period of days or weeks.

I would suggest that if you don't get much interest, just wait a couple weeks and then bump the thread.

I feel like CanonXOC fandoms are the most popular here. I don't do those myself. In fact, I have a OCxOC fandom interest check up now and practically crickets all around.

If you want hits then gotta go for popular CanonXOC fandoms or supernatural fantasy type stuff.

I feel this super hard it’s kind of painful. I like fandoms as settings more than the potential of romancing xyz character, and if it happens (for whatever party) it’s as a side point and not the main point of the thread.
I feel like a weird outlier who doesn’t require romance and never goes into a thread thinking or aiming for it - it just happens, and if it does I usually feel like it’s because there’s legitimate chemistry in that pair.

Show me that interest check, yo.

Man though, it must say something if my initial answer to this thread was “Huh? Never had a popular interest check, what are you talking about?”

The pattern I have noticed with the interest checks that I've put out on this site (and other sites), is that I don't really get any responses to speak of. I bump and bump and get nowhere. The really popular stuff like fandoms and academy themes and anime-based ideas are definitely on my avoid list. So I'm very much at odds with the common interest. This has led me to take several breaks from the RP community. I'm just coming back from one such break, actually. I always have hopes that the interest of the mob has shifted so that we have something in common. But it never really seems to line up.

I've honestly gotten tired of pitching my own ideas, so this time around I'm just going to look over what other people are putting out and stop trying with my own things.

Last edited:
The pattern I have noticed with the interest checks that I've put out on this site (and other sites), is that I don't really get any responses to speak of. I bump and bump and get nowhere. The really popular stuff like fandoms and academy themes and anime-based ideas are definitely on my avoid list. So I'm very much at odds with the common interest. This has led me to take several breaks from the RP community. I'm just coming back from one such break, actually. I always have hopes that the interest of the mob has shifted so that we have something in common. But it never really seems to line up.

I've honestly gotten tired of pitching my own ideas, so this time around I'm just going to look over what other people are putting out and stop trying with my own things.
That sounds frustrating. Role playing is supposed to be an exercise in creativity, right? It‘s disheartening to see that people tend to go for the same few familiar tropes. (Though I can’t say I’m not guilty of this myself.)

(This also brings up a question. Can an idea be anime-based if it’s not based on a specific show? Does anyone do threads just based on tropes common in anime? You don’t have to answer; I’m just thinking about how “animation from Japan” is such a broad category.)

I hope you find someone who has an interest in common with you!

So something you need to understand about this hobby is the majority of your ideas are going to fail. I have been roleplaying for over a decade and can count on one hand the amount of roleplays that lasted longer then a month.

A majority of my conversations end before we even get to the posting stage because myself or my partner gets busy. This is even more of an issue in groups.

So the best thing to do is not worry about popularity. It creates a “keeping up with the Joneses” mentality that doesn’t do you any favors. Especially since a lot of roleplays that seem “active” are either two people posting back and forth (in groups) or the result of a lot of behind the scenes chemistry (in 1x1).

Instead the best thing you can do is find the things you are most enthusiastic about (the idea you are willing to keep working on even after months of rejection) and go from there.

At the end of the day people will be more drawn to your enthusiasm then a specific setting anyway.

That sounds frustrating. Role playing is supposed to be an exercise in creativity, right? It‘s disheartening to see that people tend to go for the same few familiar tropes. (Though I can’t say I’m not guilty of this myself.)

(This also brings up a question. Can an idea be anime-based if it’s not based on a specific show? Does anyone do threads just based on tropes common in anime? You don’t have to answer; I’m just thinking about how “animation from Japan” is such a broad category.)

I hope you find someone who has an interest in common with you!
It is frustrating. But I've just come to accept the fact that this is the way the community is now, and my golden age had come and gone. I've been participating off an on for more than two decades, so I don't expect to find the same "player base" as yesteryear. lol
It just means I have to be more patient when it comes to searching.

As far as the question posed... I guess you could say that an idea could be based on anime tropes without being based on a specific show. Like say for example, you could have an RP based on Mecha pilots. It's not any specific show (though there are plenty to choose from), but it is most definitely in the territory of anime. Of course, you could get away from the anime-ness by going more in the direction of Battle-tech. But you'd have to specifically say so, otherwise the meta would lean to anime tropes.

The one interest check that attracts enough players (old and new!) for me to always be able to start and always want to try again, regardless of what title it goes under? It's basically a high school for villains and henchmen made clear in the title, with a simple summary of the setting and a couple hints at the lore. Of course, not everyone who expresses interest in the IC join at all, and I always get a few people who don't respond to the IC and instead go straight for the official pages once I get them up.

The one interest check that attracts enough players (old and new!) for me to always be able to start and always want to try again, regardless of what title it goes under? It's basically a high school for villains and henchmen made clear in the title, with a simple summary of the setting and a couple hints at the lore. Of course, not everyone who expresses interest in the IC join at all, and I always get a few people who don't respond to the IC and instead go straight for the official pages once I get them up.
^ Yeah, see this is exactly what I was talking about. Superhero/Villain theme is another thing I give a wide berth. And as already mentioned, the whole high school/academy thing. But the community majority seems to absolutely LOVE that stuff. Hence why you see so many of them.

^ Yeah, see this is exactly what I was talking about. Superhero/Villain theme is another thing I give a wide berth. And as already mentioned, the whole high school/academy thing. But the community majority seems to absolutely LOVE that stuff. Hence why you see so many of them.
I think the main reason they're so popular is because it gives people A- An excuse for their characters to meet and talk, and B- It mixes the familiar with the unfamiliar in a way that makes it easy to write, but not boring for those who like that particular trope.

I think the main reason they're so popular is because it gives people A- An excuse for their characters to meet and talk, and B- It mixes the familiar with the unfamiliar in a way that makes it easy to write, but not boring for those who like that particular trope.
Don't characters meet and talk in just about EVERY RP setting, though?
And I realize I'm in the minority, so don't think I'm trying to put down the genre. But I personally hated school. From primary school all the way through the crappy college stuff I went through. Absolutely hated it all. The last thing I wanna do is write my characters in it. Actually, I tend to avoid any settings that too closely mimic reality. I mean, we all need SOME kind of familiar anchor for relatability. But school is definitely NOT what I want for mine. lol
(And I just generally find the superhero genre to be overplayed)

Don't characters meet and talk in just about EVERY RP setting, though?
And I realize I'm in the minority, so don't think I'm trying to put down the genre. But I personally hated school. From primary school all the way through the crappy college stuff I went through. Absolutely hated it all. The last thing I wanna do is write my characters in it. Actually, I tend to avoid any settings that too closely mimic reality. I mean, we all need SOME kind of familiar anchor for relatability. But school is definitely NOT what I want for mine. lol
(And I just generally find the superhero genre to be overplayed)
Just to be clear, I don't take any offense to your opinion on the genres and tropes we're discussing.
Well, I guess I didn't phrase it the way I meant it- Gives the characters an excuse to interact, and to continue to interact for the duration of the rp; Gives the roleplayers a way for their characters to interact with less planning and less need for the stars to align with character creation.
And you actually just reminded me of another reason that I speculate for the school genre to be so popular, and certainly one of the reasons I return to it so often- It gives people a way to process their real-life school experience, whether they like it or disliked it.
As for the genre being overplayed, here's a reason I speculate why my rp in particular might stand out, if that's even a factor in it's success: Overplayed doesn't necessarily mean monotonous, it just means frequent. My rp doesn't play the aforementioned genre straight, as it has strong elements of urban fantasy, fantasy kitchen sink, alternate history, and dystopian worldbuilding. I can't say I'm familiar enough with other people's rps of the genre played straight to know how similar they are, but I do know that mine differs. It's custom-made to create an atmosphere that I enjoy, while leaving enough room for the rp to be different in each incarnation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back