Other Which kind of Rps are underrated and why?

MarinesThePsychoticReaper

Resistance Member
Hey, My dudes.
I wanted to know the answer from the community about underrated Rps they have partaken, thought about or seen working out but being mostly missed by this or different Rp communities.

I thought of and tried to create a Red Rising roleplay that noone joined. I'm not bitter, but it was pretty well thought out, if i do say so myself.

country/nation rps are pretty underrated.

if you like convoluted plots and politics then country/nation rps are for you

speaking of which im making one.
but that's a story for another time.

Walk-in generic fantasy taverns. I'm talking like, kitchen sink fantasy where someone glanced at Final Fantasy concept art and said "Why not?" and didn't actually do any research.

Ya'all are missing out. No character sheets, no activity requirement, only a few have minimum word counts. Plot? Plots are for nerds. Aliens befriending dragons, princesses and knights conversing with the mayor and cyborg general over rum, totally made up races, more monster girls than you can shake a manga at, it's amazing. That's where I learned to roleplay.

What does underrated mean? Is it slang for underappreciated?
Something like that.

Walk-in generic fantasy taverns. I'm talking like, kitchen sink fantasy where someone glanced at Final Fantasy concept art and said "Why not?" and didn't actually do any research.

Y'all are missing out. No character sheets, no activity requirement, only a few have minimum word counts. Plot? Plots are for nerds. Aliens befriending dragons, princesses and knights conversing with the mayor and cyborg general over rum, totally made up races, more monster girls than you can shake a manga at, it's amazing. That's where I learned to roleplay.
You have a fair point. Plot sure is needed to start but on its own as the story goes the Rpers make up the plot. It all comes down to creativity really. Though as always everyone has their preferences. "I want more realism" "I want more this and that" Yadda yadda. You get my point.

There was a short time when anything not related to highschool and college, was under appreciated in the fantasy section. I would make ten tabs and at least 2 of the non academy titled threads, had an academy anyways. In fact, there are a few topics in this subforum specifically about the cancerous rise of academy rps. Where apparently it became apparent that japan isn't alone, in its undying love for highschool settings.

See here is the thing. If A high school Rp Brings a New And fresh idea into the table and community isn't very interested in it that makes it underrated since most of the people think that it's another shitty up copycat idea where barely much is different from the other ones.

It would be different if the Rp would be as I said and because of that is underappreciated but that comes with the obvious reason. I'm more interested about the rps that existed and didn't get the attention they really deserved.
Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy

NO!!!!!
Aliens befriending dragons, princesses and knights conversing with the mayor and cyborg general over rum, totally made up races, more monster girls than you can shake a manga at
"You have committed crimes against Skyrim and her people. What say you in your defense?"
tumblr_me5xmsd3dg1qjraczo2_250.gif

That out of the way.

Anything related to military roleplay, that said, what is provided, is not good enough to me.

See here is the thing. If A high school Rp Brings a New And fresh idea into the table and community isn't very interested in it that makes it underrated since most of the people think that it's another shitty up copycat idea where barely much is different from the other ones.

It would be different if the Rp would be as I said and because of that is underappreciated but that comes with the obvious reason. I'm more interested about the rps that existed and didn't get the attention they really deserved.
Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy
No no please continue your thought. I still don't see how the hypothetical rp you described, is anything more than a rp that was discriminated for being a highschool rp and thus, underappreciated as a result despite its "new and fresh ideas". This is what I'm mostly interested in when it comes to this topic. I've no interest in opinions about rp's people think deserved more attention. Obviously the rp creator didn't think so, which is why they didn't painstakingly advertise it and see it through to the end. And rp's that are actually innovative will get bites. If they don't, then it's clearly a symptom of not actually being a new and fresh rp, and deserving of more attention.

Last edited:
No no please continue your thought. I still don't see how the hypothetical rp you described, is anything more than a rp that was discriminated for being a highschool rp and thus, underappreciated as a result despite its "new and fresh ideas". This is what I'm mostly interested in when it comes to this topic. I've no interested in opinions about rp's people think deserved more attention. Obviously the rp creator didn't think so, which is why they didn't painstakingly advertise it and see it through to the end. And rp's that are actually innovative will get bites. If they don't, then it's clearly a symptom of not actually being a new and fresh rp, and deserving of more attention.
Kinda fucked up on that one did i?

Something like that.

You have a fair point. Plot sure is needed to start but on its own as the story goes the Rpers make up the plot. It all comes down to creativity really. Though as always everyone has their preferences. "I want more realism" "I want more this and that" Yadda yadda. You get my point.
I don't get your point, and I didn't make a point. You asked me what I thought is an under-rated kind of roleplay, and I responded with a genre/setup that I rarely see on RPN.

Creativity is a scam, anyways. Why not just post and have fun with friends? Too many players have their heads in their asses anyways worrying about this stuff.

^^^ <3<3

If I could upvote or sticky this or nominate it for post of the month -slash- best post ever I would. Instead have a cookie welian welian .

So many people seem to like forget this is a fun past-time that doesn't need to be taken as seriously as it is. There is no wrong way to have fun.

Anyway for under appreciated I submit platonic/non romance Roleplays in 1x1s. Just as a general rule the focus is on Character A falling in love with Character B and setting based drama and shenanigans.

So it can be hard for a more platonic ( maybe friendship or adventure based ) search to get off the ground.

Not impossible but the general idea seems to be "1x1s are for romance and if there isn't any than why are we doing this rp?"

This whole notion that people don't need to be creative or take rp seriously, is really absurd. You might as well make an archive of our own account and post your brain dead stream of consciousness there.

Because I guarantee that no rp you try to engage with, will ever be successful if you don't put the effort in. Aka actively thinking and trying to be creative.

No, the notion that you have to take an RP seriously, and the notion that you have to try and be creative as possible - that's absurd. It's not just absurd, it's elitist gatekeeping. It's an attitude that's contributing to the slow decline of post-by-post roleplaying as a hobby. No one wants to play with people who have their heads up their asses about what is and isn't worthy of being considered a "good" RP.

Putting in effort isn't the same as being creative. If little 14 year old Bobby wants to play a human fighter with a sword and a shield, and copy two sentences from the handbook for his backstory because frankly he doesn't care or doesn't really have it in him to construct some elaborate story -- well, that's fine by me. As long as he's friendly, shows up to sessions, and doesn't derail the party, he can play the most boring and uncreative character ever to grace mankind. It's still fun.

Another thing more people need to give a chance

- Slice of life. People are all meh so boring it's just people doing people things and i could be a farmer in real life why do I want to roleplay it?

But if you pair it with an interesting premise and some engaged players willing to explore interpersonal relationships it's super fun in all the best tween drama ways.

I did one once where it was like an island where people went to after they died and they just like lived that hippy commune life with like folks being librarians or pet store owners or cafe baristas or whatever.

It was actually super fun.

Also battle royale. Frek yeah. Let's put people in a situation where they gotta fight it out tournament style for some random prize. It's maybe not so much with the character introspection but really working out the punchy punchy can be entertaining.

country/nation rps are pretty underrated.

if you like convoluted plots and politics then country/nation rps are for you

speaking of which im making one.
but that's a story for another time.

Couldn't agree more. More specifically I nominate any lovingly crafted faction-based roleplay. That includes fantasy kingdoms, thieves guilds, witch covens, or space colonies.

I'm an intrigue junkie.

Ya'all are missing out. No character sheets, no activity requirement, only a few have minimum word counts. Plot? Plots are for nerds. Aliens befriending dragons, princesses and knights conversing with the mayor and cyborg general over rum, totally made up races, more monster girls than you can shake a manga at, it's amazing. That's where I learned to roleplay.

This sounds like so much fun.

Every roleplay that isn't one or multiple of:

Highscool/University
Standard high fantasy setting ala LotR/GoT
Edgelord-teenager roadtrip/jailing/asylum/whatever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back