Opinion Where/When do you feel you write the best?

StoneWolf18

Within the Depths of a Dream
This has been eating away at me for the last few days now, so I though I'd post about it. The title is pretty self explanatory. Do you feel that you have a specific time or place that you feel you write better than you normally(and if you can, why)? For me, I'd have to say right out of the shower, when then clothes I put on are getting damp due to the humidity in the bathroom and my hair is stil sopping wet. Don't ask me why because I'm not sure I have a reason why though... Hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to the Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack. When I turn this on, I can write anything.

It also helps if the scene I'm writing is dramatic in some way. Or really anything except a fight scene. I'm awful at those xD

I'd say I write best right at school because I'm more focused (even if it isn't on the right thing). Or really late at night. Like 2am late. Since that's when everything is quiet, and I can think really nicely. Plus my filter is gone so I can properly write everything out and it's wonderful. I wish I could write in the shower though because if I could then that'd be the place I could probably write my ideas out really well too.

I'd say I write best right at school because I'm more focused (even if it isn't on the right thing). Or really late at night. Like 2am late. Since that's when everything is quiet, and I can think really nicely. Plus my filter is gone so I can properly write everything out and it's wonderful. I wish I could write in the shower though because if I could then that'd be the place I could probably write my ideas out really well too.

We need holographic computers so they can be installed in the shower.

I write best in my room, at night, under my covers with no distractions and the AC on. 

And when I say at night, I mean at night. As in, sometime before bed. I've found that being very tired actually gets my creative juices flowing. Whenever I feel that writer's block is getting the better of me, I simply write when I'm ready to go to bed, then close my laptop and sleep. Then I wake up, re-read what I wrote, make sure it actually makes sense, re-write what needs to be rewritten, and (in the case of roleplay) press 'submit reply'. 

It may be because I'm less worried about it being perfect. My conscious mind is rarely satisfied, and it likes to dawdle, re-read, re-write, nitpick, edit, and criticize to death. When I'm just too tired to deal with its shit and put it on mute, my subconscious mind gets me deeper into the story because I don't think about it as much. It knows my characters, what they would say and do, and so I write-- no questions, no doubt, no fear. Editing is necessary in the morning, of course, when I'm wide-awake and remember the very necessary subtleties of grammar and punctuation, but the substance is already there. 

So, yeah. Quiet bedroom, lights off, in the cold with blankets, sometime after midnight. 

i have to be deeply emotionally connected to the character to write my best. which is good, because i have about 3 characters on hand, all of whom i connect with in some sort of way. i'm more in touch with my emotions in the evening, so this is when i write the biographies/personality descriptions or just replies!! i want to make people feel my character's thoughts and basically have my character be so transparent to the reader that they can identify with them too (i love making people cry ... i would make mother's day cards so sappy just to make my mother cry ... i love having the ability to write so powerfully!! it's amazing when it works out!! haha)

This is kind of weird, but I can only write up posts or character sheet-- anything IN the roleplay when I am listening to music.

Last edited:
I generally write best while listening to Two Steps From Hell, or any similarly sounding music. Sometimes I listen to symphonic metal to set me in the right mood.

Otherwise, with anything creative, I work best when in a cold environment. I get uncomfortable in heat. 

It depends on the type of writing for me. If it's something academic-- then early morning writing after cooking myself a good breakfast works best. However, if it's creative writing-- late nights, with a bottle of bourbon/scotch produce my best work.

Mostly, this is because how much I over-focus on editing as I write. Academic papers benefit from this, but creative writing requires a more immediate flow of ideas.

It depends on the type of writing for me. If it's something academic-- then early morning writing after cooking myself a good breakfast works best. However, if it's creative writing-- late nights, with a bottle of bourbon/scotch produce my best work.

Mostly, this is because how much I over-focus on editing as I write. Academic papers benefit from this, but creative writing requires a more immediate flow of ideas.

Strangely enough, I do very little editing myself xD  I'll usually burn through a bunch of ideas I have in my head for the current situation, read over it again, correct any spelling errors that happen once in a while, and completely remove anything that I know for a fact won't work. Everything else I leave as-is. I think maybe because I know that if I focus too much on editing, I'll end up rewriting the thing over and over again until I'm sick of it and just never finish xD

Early in the morning, maybe 1 or 2 am, when everything is quiet in my apartment. I can really focus without any distractions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back