Experiences Where did you roleplay before you came to RPNation?

I still mainly keep to Discord, but I remember using Skype in the old days.
I also use various forums normally.

It's funny because I don't remember transitioning from one medium to another, but I remember each stage. Started in AOL chatrooms, moved to Neopets, then Gaia (where I stayed for a good, long while), then went on into various forums before finding a group I really clicked with on LiveJournal. We created our own little chat where we did various ATLA role-plays, then moved to Skype where we did a two-year D&D campaign. Back to more forums for several years where many of them exploded due to drama.

Now here I am!

Started on this website called warriorcatsrpg which is now feralfront I believe? Back in the day when I was obsessed with the warrior cats series.

I'm still kinda new to forum roleplaying though. I've mostly stuck to Skype n Discord.

I play two Exalted games on Giant in the Playground's forums currently. I did some RP on Gaia Online back in high school/ middle school.

I’m fairly new to roleplaying. Been doing it for around two or so years. But for me I started out on the app Amino in chatroom roleplaying. Though the reason, I decided to move on here cause it was starting to become extremely difficult to find quality partners. And second partners that are in their audlt years. A lot of the roleplayers on Amino are mainly minors so like 13 to 16 which just made me uncomfortable after a while. So after finding this site, I decided to give it a go. Thus here I am

My first RP and I'm still using this forum was NationStates. Most notably their PT2M which really does have everything. The community is much smaller than this but it allows for better interactions and moderation. Does mean a small player base though.

Originally places like IMVU/Second Life type places then LiveJournal then Skype/Discord/Tumblr and now here!

I found out about roleplaying through an online game which I can't recall the name off any more. Something about vampiric clans, very dark looking but kinda cool too? Haha
Moved on to Coloholics Anonymous for a few years until they shut it down. Unfortunately it happened with no warning and I lost touch with some very good partners. To this day the best partner I ever had was from Colo and we had a 1x1 LOTR inspired story going on. The depth of his knowledge around Tolkien's world and his amazing skills really helped me a lot.

I've always been big into doing LARP (if you can call it that when you're a child!) with my friends but such games become...not as acceptable as you get older? The first time I started roleplaying online was through deviantArt I suppose. All OC's at first and nothing threaded, then gradually canon characters and more paragraphs. From there someone suggested I set up an e-mail and get recruiting on Omegle (yes, I know) which actually worked really well. I'd also wrangle people into roleplay on ff.net pms if they were interested. Eventually it all moved to e-mail and that was it for a while. Now I've branched out to owning an rp-only blog on Tumblr, doing it through e-mail still and also through Discord. Having no luck recently with some of the fandoms I want to rp from, I decided to try RPNation ^^

Neopets, and then Gaia! Me and some friends made a proboard for the six of us and we've hid out there RPing for almost ten years, but it's died off, so I want to branch out a little more now.

Pretty much every pet site imaginable, the old DA chatrooms, Potterpuppetpals chatroom... Uhh... Way more RP sites than I'd like to admit to as well.

I started plenty of years ago on a proboards forum that had many chiefs but not that many Indians if ya get what I mean. I loved it for the fact that I met a few people on there that had become part of my life for years and we rp'ed together for years as well. I moved on from that site when it went under to proboards forums that both my friend that I met on the original site and I created together. After years of rp'ing together my friend went through a major life change moving to a different state with no family to help support them. Needless to say she's not rp'ing anymore as far as I know. I still keep in touch with her occasionally but we haven't rp'ed in a few years now. The sites that we created together don't really have any traffick to them. Every rp and thread on each were started by the two of us. So I figured I would join an active site with other people that were still actively involved with role playing. I've met many people on here that are great rp'ers and look forward to many more great rp's on the site.

Instagram! It's a terrible platform for roleplaying and the community is mostly garbage but me and a couple other random nerds my age managed to create a pretty good group. Some of us got really close OOC and would spend hours chatting through Oovoo (which I'm pretty sure is dead now, rip). We had some really great times. It was just good, casual fun. We had an academy roleplay going for a little while, and a Hunger Games at one point. Most of the characters were blatant self-inserts, but nobody cared. I cringe a bit looking back at it, but those were simpler times. Nowadays it feels like everyone is just trying so hard and taking the fun out of things. I was going through a really tough period in my life when I first got into roleplaying and having other kids my age to talk to and play pretend with was really special. I've lost touch with all of them now, but that is the way of things. Ah, this is making me nostalgic.

Oh jee...
Chckensmootie, followed by a site I forgot the name of, followed by Skype, followed by WhatsApp...

I started roleplaying in maybe 2003 or 2004 through AIM chatrooms. I remember every day after school I joined this random Yu-Gi-Oh chatroom that always had other kids my age hanging out in. Eventually we ran out of yugioh talk and would just talk about whatever we wanted. In the height of cringe culture we would shoot messages like *teleports behind you* and *unsheathes katana* for laughs and eventually we were making tiny roleplay posts all through asterisk speak. Normally about us fighting alongside YuGiOh monsters and whatnot. To add to the cringe I'm pretty sure I played as a Sonic the hedgehog OC lmao, but that's what you're into in 4th grade. I know being in online chatrooms that young is a red flag in today's age - heck, it probably was even back then. Though what I was doing was only dangerous in the way that it would be super embarassing hahaha.

One day one of the members invited me to an old forum called Flashstand (RIP <3) to participate in a Shaman King RP. I remember having no idea what roleplay was and he was just like, "Dude, it's what we've been doing in YGO chat all summer". The rest is history, I went from there to joining RP servers in MMO's and eventually jumping from roleplay to roleplay on Gaia Online- and now I'm here, sixteen or seventeen years later :] I never will know what became of my Flashstand friends, and I hate that theres like no record of it on the wayback machine- but I've made plenty of lifelong friends through RP's since then!

I was big on Gaiaonline before.
I would still be on there, but it has long since died. ; A;

I got my start on Quotev, which I've seen a couple other people mention as well. I still go there from time to time for nostalgia's sake, but options are limited ever since they took away the group directory and search functions. There's still ways to find them if you're resourceful enough, but it isn't really worth the work.

I've also done some RolePlaying on Omegle, which didn't go as badly as I thought it would? I had some wonderful experiences there actually. Still a terrible site overall though. Then I came here, and despite being here for years, I'm still struggling to find my footing. Haven't been able to make any friends or start long-lasting RolePlays :') I'm still holding out though! Surely it'll happen eventually.

I started on Quotev just like the guy above me^^. It was around 2012 and I'm still questioning why I haven't deleted my account😂 I go back to it every now and then, read my old roleplay posts, and see how much I've grown. I made some good friends and memories too, but I stopped once I noticed that almost everyone was roleplaying for relationships.

edit: OH YES! The day Quotev removed the group search tab was the end of a beautifult era😂 those were some troubling times...

<p>

Lol finally remembered the password to my old chickensmoothie account and was browsing through my newbie stage roleplays ( cringing all the way ) and it got me to thinking. Where did everyone get their start in roleplaying? Did you start on a different site and migrate here or did you begin on RPnation itself? I personally started on gaiaonline and chickensmoothie. Both accounts are currently closed ( well I'm cleaning out chickensmoothie now and you can't really delete accounts on gaia ) But I did enjoy them for a time. Sadly I outgrew both of them eventually and that's how I found myself here.

</p>
I made a lot of art on scratch when I was younger and found the roleplay side of the community, have been doing it ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back