Advice/Help When is it Tasteful for One to Invoke Real World Tragedies/Events?

Phantom Thief of Hearts

We live in the Metal Gear timeline
As it says on the tin. I'm curious what's the cut off date for an RP (or any form of media) to invoke real world tragedies/events.
Personally, I think that it should at least be when the hysteria dies down depending on the kind of story it is. If it's a tribute to those who suffered then I see no harm of it being done then.

I'm honestly curious what you all think.

I would argue that it depends on the use.

If you are using the tragedy as a focus in of itself, with a serious exploration of the events or characters dealing with them or surrounding consequences, then I think it's tasteful to do it even as the tragedy happens. I don't find it more disrespectful than making a documentary on what happened for instance, again under the assumption that you do approach the topic respectfully and seriously.

On the other hand, if it's just as a plot device or framing for something else, then I would say that you should only use things "from the history books" if you will. I would say that the American civil war would probably the grey area of something like this.

That said, of course, being tasteful is very dependent on your "audience" , if you will, as well. It's a very subjective and personal thing.

Oh man, no one is ever ready to talk about those 'Trump election = post-apocalyptic world that reverted to the early 1900s' RPs back in the day. THOSE were crazy.

I know a guy on another forum that outright says 'social distancing RP?' on the title and makes it a plague RP.

At best just keep it subtle. Very subtle. And also what Idea said.

So long as you do not actually venerate the act of the tragedy itself, I see no reason as for why it cannot be done immediately. The suffering of people is bad, objectively. However the medium of writing's many benefits is that you can give form to that.

Yeah I feel like empathy is more key than a time table. As a lot of times what is happening around us makes it’s way into our roleplays anyway.

I actually did have an idea for a fantasy version of COVID months ago that people were intrigued by. As it’s something everyone was dealing with and it made for a fun challenge in a fantasy setting.

I know a lot of times reading is how I personally process things (ex. My anxiety or Racial disparities) so I see no reason writing roleplays can’t be the same for others.

It simply must be done with empathy AND honesty. If you are going to do a political roleplay for instance you have to make very clear your partner understands the premise and can separate fantasy from reality.

I did a political roleplay years ago (long before Armageddon hit the political landscape of the US) and the biggest issue wasn’t the political themes but the fact that my partner consistently forgot that it was a roleplay and not a OOC debate.

So they would get frustrated when my character would argue some point by saying things like “that’s not true because XYZ.” And I kept reiterating, it’s my characters opinion. She either isn’t aware of XYZ at this point in the story OR she just doesn’t think it’s real.

Despite that minor hiccup though it was one of my more fun roleplays. So I think just being honest about what is going on (and being empathetic about the more triggering parts of the topic) is all you need.

People must always have a seperation between the world and the imaginary one. That is a precondition of writing about anything meaningful.

I'm going to go with ... at least a hundred years. Outside of living memory.

I was going to say never but that's a bit more limiting than necessary.

People must always have a seperation between the world and the imaginary one. That is a precondition of writing about anything meaningful.

To clarify my point was less the person isn’t able to distinguish reality from fiction. It was more an issue of not understanding what was OOC information and what was IC information.

This more a problem with dual sided narratives.

Ex. The plague is real / The plague is a hoax

If however you choose to view the tragedy by a more escapist lens. (Ex. How you wish COVID had been handled versus how it actually was) than it’s less of an issue. As you and your partner aren’t debating anything just giving a bad situation A happy resolution through fiction.

So it definately depends on how you choose to frame things too. And how your partner views the tragedy.

It depends entirely on your approach, and by that I mean two things.

1. If you're doing a biopic about the actual tragedy/event, take some time. Research your ass of, really think about what you want to do here so you can execute it at its very best. If you're using inspiration from the tragedy/event to tell your own story, Research and get your structuring and planning done and dive in while it's all still fresh.
  2. If you're primarily here for "fun" (escapism, wish fulfillment, attention, whatever that actually translates to), don't even bother. Leave it alone, it's not a fun-time topic. You're not here for that.

Last edited:
my opinion is probably pointless here, but I'm gonna give it anyway because I'm bored. IMO, its never too early. Hit that grill while it's still hot. But I have pretty thick skin OR I'm just an insensitive bitch. One or the other (maybe both?). lol
I'm hardly the sensitive type and I think people get butthurt about things way too easily and we shouldn't cater to crybabies. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.

my opinion is probably pointless here, but I'm gonna give it anyway because I'm bored. IMO, its never too early. Hit that grill while it's still hot. But I have pretty thick skin OR I'm just an insensitive bitch. One or the other (maybe both?). lol
I'm hardly the sensitive type and I think people get butthurt about things way too easily and we shouldn't cater to crybabies. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
A bit abrasive but then again... I admire the devil may care attitude.

Depends on how it's used and what the event is I suppose. For example, if somebody was to make a RP about the current BLM riots themselves then I'd consider that a bit insensitive. However, if they were to reference it in another RP where it's not the main plot, either set in the present or in the near future then I think it would be okay.

As for amount of time that should pass I'm not really sure. I've personally done RP's centered on topics like genocides and the sinking of the Titanic. Some have told me I'm insensitive for doing so, but others have been perfectly okay with it. It really depends on the individual and what their own comfort zone is.

I've personally done RP's centered on topics like genocides and the sinking of the Titanic. Some have told me I'm insensitive for doing so, but others have been perfectly okay with it.

Well I highly doubt your thing was anything like a certain difficult-to-describe Titanic-related story.

Titanic-11.jpg

Makes me wonder how insensitive the folk here would find this...

... thing.

Well I highly doubt your thing was anything like a certain difficult-to-describe Titanic-related story.

Titanic-11.jpg

Makes me wonder how insensitive the folk here would find this...

... thing.

I watched a review of that movie years ago, it was very much (someone was on the good drugs/has no idea what the Titanic actually is) but it wasn’t actually that insensitive. It was like AU Titanic, same name but the story line was so weird that it had nothing really to do with the actual event. I’m not even sure if the boat sank, it’s been a long time since I saw the review.

I watched a review of that movie years ago, it was very much (someone was on the good drugs/has no idea what the Titanic actually is) but it wasn’t actually that insensitive. It was like AU Titanic, same name but the story line was so weird that it had nothing really to do with the actual event. I’m not even sure if the boat sank, it’s been a long time since I saw the review.
Nah, it was just fucking bizarre.

Oh right, I think I was actually thinking about the other Titanic movie that was the prequel to Tentacolino. Because that one outright said that the Titanic never sank and everyone actually survived.

Oh right, I think I was actually thinking about the other Titanic movie that was the prequel to Tentacolino. Because that one outright said that the Titanic never sank and everyone actually survived.
Oh yeah the one with the Giant Octopus... I seriously don't know why they didn't make it a fictional ship.

Exactly. I feel like being insensitive and writing crack fic are really different. Because the whole point of crack fic is not to take the story seriously. From what I remember the point was very much not to take that movie remotely seriously.
Oh like this one fanfic about a guy falling in love, marrying and doing the deed with the spirit of the titanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back