Chitchat What's Your Wonderful?

Error 420

One Thousand Club
I just want to ask the question in the title above. Tell me and the rest of RPN what your Wonderful is, something you think is just absolutely fantastic. Say something to sate somebody's curiosity, tell us what your world is like, give us your hot hairstyle tricks. However the spirit strikes you. This isn't for venting, just telling things that you find wonderful or you think other people will find wonderful. Chill-ly casually chat about what you think about this thing, be it niche or everyday or whatever. For example, I really like Times New Roman Font, and I could totally go on about it for a really long time, so that's what you do. It doesn't have to be a popular opinion, it shouldn't be factually verifiable, just something you're earnestly a fan of.

Da Rules:
Keep it cool
No bummers
No arguing
Also, in order to participate in the conversation, you have to talk about something Wonderful.

What Should be in a Post:
Put what you think is Wonderful first or last, and your explanation if it is longer than two lines in a spoiler. Put your responses to other people's Wonderfuls if you have them in their own spoiler, tagging them inside that spoiler and putting the title as their username. When you do respond to someone, don't have it be about disagreeing with wonderfulness, nor something that can be boiled down to "yes that is good". Add your own insight and information.

I'll also be awarding points to anything I find Wonderful, and every once in a while I'll announce who is the most wonderful, but it's just for fun and the points don't matter.

I guess I'll start it off with something I find incredibly wonderful: Marvel's Daredevil. I'm like a major film guy, and I am deadly obsessed with everything about the first season. The villian is intimidating, powerful, and almost sympathetic. The acting is phenomenal, truly the best villain on Marvel's screen. The first season is so fricking brilliantly paced and turns in all the perfect places. The team on this just perfectly aligns ideas and characters and just strings of ideas to make this perfect web of a story. Not to even mention the shot placement, fight choreo, editing, lighting, colors, sound-I'm rambling but that's just how good it is to me. I've taken my share of film analysis and film literature classes and the first four episodes at least just get everything I like right, and it's fantastic. Summing up what I love most about this show is the outro scene to the first episode. It's dynamic, it's got brilliant parallel storytelling in not only its narrative but in its visuals, its lighting, and even its music. There's one shot right here and it gets me every time.
daredevil-creel-jpg.jpg

I could write an entire Wonderful just about that single frame, but I won't for brevity's sake. This show is Wonderful.

It'd also be Wonderful of you to tag your friends so we can hear their Wonderfuls too!

Last edited:
Dogs!
Dogs are sweet and loving, they don't care who or what you are or what you've done, all they want is your love and attention, and in return they give you theirs (well I mean table scraps are nice too)
They have evolved to be with us, and their presence is proven to up the production of beneficial chemicals in us and them.
Dogs help people with their every day problems and expect nothing in return. They protect us and keep us warm on cold nights. They always know when you need them and let you know when they need you.
They are our guardian angels, and this one is mine.
fL5HkpY.jpg

The Mechanist The Mechanist Give us some more, mate. Why are your friends your Wonderful? What do they do for you?

Sea Jay Sea Jay That's so Wonderful! I love it! I've got two of my own, yappy lapdogs. They're old and very fat, but still find the energy to play all day.

Fucking pencils, dude.
I love writing and drawing so naturally pencils are a necessary thing to me. But, for some reason I love the way it feels when I'm guiding a pencil across a piece of paper. When my hands get stained black from lead and I end up getting it on my forehead or some weird place, someone points it out and I can be all like, "Oh, heh, i was drawing." And people just nod and laugh. I don't have good hand writing but I love the way words look when written in pencil. They're messier, less crisp than if I'd written with a pen, it feels more real, more gritty. I don't know. I love pencils, man. Pencils are wonderful

The Mechanist The Mechanist Give us some more, mate. Why are your friends your Wonderful? What do they do for you?

Sea Jay Sea Jay That's so Wonderful! I love it! I've got two of my own, yappy lapdogs. They're old and very fat, but still find the energy to play all day.
Hmm can't really explain something I feel unfortunately

I think one of my biggest wonderfuls would be nature. I know that may sound kind of hippie, tree-hugger-y, but it's true. Whenever I feel stressed or stagnant I can go outside and "ground" myself, as my Mom calls it. It helps me relieve some of the feeling of something weighing on me. I love that there's seasons and animals. The way grass feels under my feet is just great, and fresh air is also good. It's a sort of refresh button for me a lot of the time. When I can't go outside I still have my pets to love on, and videos/pictures that I can watch when I'm down that I can learn from or just be amused. The best thing is that it's free, and all I have to do is walk outside and take a little time to enjoy it.

I find the rain wonderful. It's amazing. Yes, it's cold, and can be depressing, but it's also warm and inviting. It gives life to make things.

My Wonderful for today is a favorite song of mine.

In my days as a radio personality on WJEF, there were several songs I heard half-a-million times but still get down on, including Billy Ocean's Get Out of my Dreams, Get into my Car, Come on Eileen, Take on Me, and George Micheal's Careless Whisper.

In 1984, George Micheal was basically an angel in white boy form. If you were into dudes and below the age of twenty or above the age of forty, you had posters of this dreamy boy. Not only that, he was also a musical prodigy. He was on the bus when he came up with that killer sax line, and then wrote the rest of the music to go along with it with a fellow bandmate of WHAM!, a wonderfully named band.

This deep love song was written on the bus to the studio by a 17-year-old George Micheal. He wrote it about his girlfriend, Helen, and his other girlfriend, Jane. He wrote about the song in his biography, Bare, talking about how when he stopped wearing glasses, he started being invited to parties: "And the girl who didn't even see me when I was twelve invited me in," he noted. "So I went out with her for a couple of months but I didn't stop seeing Helen. I thought I was being smart – I had gone from being a total loser to being a two-timer. And I remember my sisters used to give me a hard time because they found out and they really liked the first girl. The whole idea of "Careless Whisper" was the first girl finding out about the second – which she never did. But I started another relationship with a girl called Alexis without finishing the one with Jane. It all got a bit complicated. Jane found out about her and got rid of me...The whole time I thought I was being cool, being this two-timer, but there really wasn't that much emotion involved. I did feel guilty about the first girl – and I have seen her since – and the idea of the song was about her. "Careless Whisper" was us dancing, because we danced a lot, and the idea was – we are dancing...but she knows...and it's finished."

That story is just so awesome and sad, and it makes the whole song have another layer of beauty. Billboard put it as the number one on their Hot 100 for 1985, and labeled it as 'the song of '85'.

Coffee, as I fervently believe that it is singlehandedly preventing zombie outbreaks and, consequently, societal collapse.

My next Wonderful is the story of Superman versus the Klan.

In 1946, the Adventures of Superman radio show on ABC had been running for 6 years, and had already changed the Superman mythos profoundly, and had about a thousand weekly episodes. Superman fought the Ultra Humanite, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and countless other mainstay Supes villains because of this show, but because of a man named Stetson Kennedy, he wound up going against a more real evil, the Klu Klux Klan.

Kennedy had the idea of de-mystifying and embarrassing the members of Klan by revealing the super boring insides of their organization and mocking them through the ultimate hero of the American people, Superman. Throughout a limited run series, Superman went against this fiction clan, revealing real life Klan code words and secret sequences and planned meetings uncovered by Kennedy, having joined the Klan himself.

Stetson Kennedy was an American amateur journalist, and after being unable to enlist during World War II, he instead felt the best way to fight for his country was to fight for human rights in the south. He was a radical liberal for his time, and joined countless terrorist organizations in the south, hoping to expose them and destroy them. Upon his arrival in the KKK, he realized that going to police or government wouldn't be an option: several Klan leaders were also high-ranking officials. So he decided to reach out directly to everyone, and in the 40's, the Adventures of Superman was the most listened-to piece of media in the entire world. He went directly to the show's producers, and gave them a shot to reveal the KKK's underbelly. They very readily accepted.

It is beleived, but unconfirmed (and likely unconfirmable) that the limited series run of Superman and the Clan of the Fiery Cross absolutely demolished KKK recruitment numbers and even caused smaller groups of the Klan to disband. According to the authors of Freakonomics, an incredibly Wonderful book, Stetson Kennedy "the greatest single contributor to the weakening of the Ku Klux Klan".

You can listen to the show yourself starting with the first episode here.

I find watching snow fall to be somewhat peaceful and relaxing; regardless of me hating the cold and not wanting to go outside. But I love watching it from inside while theres a fire going. It is just so soothing to me.

Old stuff I suppose, and alcohol.

I love history, and hope to reenact some day, but as it is I am an ameteur collector of military gear from WW2-1990s. I also love traditional styles of music as well as classic rock, blues, classic country, etc, and in general a lot of things that are just older. I drink a good deal too, whiskey and/or beer if I can help it. The color of the beer with a bit of foam on top, and an amber dram of Bourbon...mmmm

Here's a new Wonderful from the British Isles.

The BBC made a video where they introduced people living traditional isolated lifestyles in Mongolia, Ethiopia, and the Solomon Islands to polar bears. When I first saw it, I thought it would be one of those let's laugh at the people from other cultures but it wound up being super adorable.

It's adorable not only because it's about polar bear pups, but it provides a super cool perspective on life before mass media and on how different cultures come to understand one another. I've spent time in Canada so I know what snow and ice is like, but one of the men watching from the Solomon Islands had to have ice explained to him. The Ethiopians, too, were visibly surprised by the ice. I especially love the line where it's explained that Polar bears live on ice floating on the water and the Ethiopian woman asks "is it sky or is it water?".

I don't know if this counts but... 2D animation is my wonderful. It's magical to be able to make people and entire worlds come to life.

I like water. Drinking, bathing, reflecting. Water is like the blood of God, drink enough and forget ever being human.

Marvel!! (Pardon my fangirling XD)
Particularly the Marvel Cinematic Universe. My favourite characters are probably Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch, closely followed by Iron Man, Captain America and Black Widow.

My Wonderful, huh? A very to-the-point question in a way. Well, my 'Wonderful' would probably have to be every single second I spend with the people I care about. That's Wonderful. Especially the select few that have ever made my heart feel love for them, with their curiosity and thoughts about life. Even with how diverse and peculiar they were, and indeed, they were; I loved them.

For me, I like seeing dandelions and other flowers that looks like simple weeds to other people. They remind me of the beauty in the most unlikely places. I especially love the fluffy ones, the ones that you can blow and make a wish on. Those are so much fun!

For me, my wonderful is when I go out with my friends, and forget all of my tensions at home, and school, and just, be happy, even if it’s just for 5 minutes, I’ll trade anything for 5 minutes if that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back