Other What's your rp guilty pleasure?

Cannibal hillbillies

I. Have. So. Many.

I like, god it's so good to me, and the amount of discord servers where mods just don't understand. It's so hard to find a good partner- I often have to just bring it up in dms but there is nothing more personal, no way to get an oc closer to a person than cannibalsm.

And the mental illness and backstory that powers such a desire, argghhh

Call me crazy but god it's so good. They're like my little vampires. Which cannibal vs vampire is also so good.(I say this because my best friend is obsessed with vampires)

Mine is good-aligned characters having to come to terms with their darker instincts and impulses.

I love fun self-awareness, when the characters can take a jab at the story, the genre or the character themselves without breaking the immersion. Of course this mean the RP can't be too serious in the first place. I found if I use this kind of character in a serious RP I would end up pointing plot holes left and right. Easier to do this in an isekai or VR world setting as I can draw comparison between the worlds.

Ooh! This is a nice one!

My guilty pleasures would include the following:

* Medieval Fantasy (or High Fantasy) Genre (I'm not obsessed... Mostly... >.>)

* Either no magic, or very simple magic systems

* Nature exploration/traveling (I'm a nature geek)

* Frequent progressive and purposeful character interactions (Personal Hot Take: I HATE "loner" characters who avoid all contact with others, or who are/remain one-word machines, with a fiery passion because of how often they're misused, and how frequently they remain steadfastly disconnected from the story and the rest of the cast with no signs of an actual character arc in sight)

* For characters, if I'm the GM I'll usually play an athlete/blue collar male character, or an educated and formal female character (or both). If I'm joining someone else's RP I'll throw my guilty pleasures aside and play whatever role I think would help best provide balance and interest to the current cast of characters.

Cheers!

Not nessecaraly forbidden romance, nor opposites attract where the pair have nothing in common, but moreso literary foils. your enjolras and grantaire, over your romeo and juliet or prepxrebel.

also a good regicide is good for the soul, yknow?

Slight self inserts, even slight traits. I can't be me too significantly because I don't even LIKE myself.

But I feel cringe whenever I channel me in any way. Which is to say I always cringe in rps because I have little knowledge of writing someone that doesn't have hints of me in them.

However, it's nice to channel old traits of mine and on occasion have the character be seen as flawed but still human.

Angst is so good. One of my favorite things to write is betrayal. The potential there is so good.

i have a very specific plot that has been a guilty pleasure of mine for a very long time that i have finally gotten an rp partner for. it's your stereotypical western-style equestrian rp about A Guy From The City coming to Smalltown USA so he can learn to ride and take care of a horse he's now in possession of. it's a very hallmark movie plot with its conflicts and potential for romance, but it's a little to the left. there's a lot more depth to who this new guy is than "he's new and strange and i don't like him" and getting into the meat of that is something i'm greatly looking forward to.

but to list off a few more general guilty pleasure tropes and genres,
- typical thing but A Little To The Left™ | i love talking generic or realistic plots and including some sort of twist to them. a good example is slice of life in modern fantasy settings, or roommates with a vampire or something.
- overpowered characters who want a normal life.
- inhuman characters, more along the lines of monsters or aliens than anthros or shifters. bonus points if they look scary but are soft beans.
- morally grey plots, or plots where the hero realizes they aren't completely in the right or that fighting for the "right thing" isn't enough for them to succeed on its own.
- reluctant father & adopted daughter found family
- crossovers of any kind

there's probably some others but i can't think of any more at the moment

Lighter takes on villains + trans headcanons. (Not necessarily at the same time, but that's good too!)

I like romance more than I usually tend to admit. In some circles, romance can carry more negative connotations of sidetracking the story or simply serving as a vehicle for NSFW and in some ways I can agree. But like many tropes it works well when done right.

Combat I something I'm pretty passionate about in RPs. I don't necessarily like to force entire RPs around combat nor do I really like making people too uncomfortable (a little bit though). But I just like when it goes down. And I like all the stuff that comes with it. The scars. The ugly endings. Trauma. Things like that.

I usually like to write characters in supernatural or superpowered settings that are "baseline" humans. And despite being human, they are usually not "normal" and have things about them that are exceptional or off.

I like writing monsters and creatures that are less sympathetic and almost neutral/evil but still fairly understandable enough for me to be able to right. Things that function more along the lines of an animal for something more neutral or things that are outright malevolent like a demon. Count Orlock Esque vampires who scuttle through sewers or monstrous kaiju who terraform the countryside and glass whatever attacks them.

By tangential extension I actually enjoy writing ordinary animals in their entirety really.

I like writing people who are ugly or not the prettiest in a conventional way. Whether it be due to just being born that way, being inhuman or being horribly scarred. It almost makes me feel like a hipster to have the character juxtaposed vs everyone else.

As my avatar at the moment might indicate, I tend to gravitate towards military themes, abilities and characters. This doesn't necessarily mean that the character are soldiers. But many tend to be in some proximity to war. Such as being a bystander, having been roped into one or study it. From child soldier assassin to an immortal vampire who'd seen endless war throughout the ages, I notice my characters will predictably gravitate to this in some way, shape or form.

IMG_8252.jpeg
this is a joke!! i’m eastern orthodox. ironically enough, my rp guilty pleasure revolves around this topic. any plot with angsty religious undertones, especially during the medieval times, and with same sex pairings (chef’s kiss), sign me up.

Honestly, the more toxic and power-imbalanced the pairing is, the more I'm into it. I adore playing OP villains, obsessive stalkers, and just general assholes against their target/focus. It's so fun being mean, and I love figuring out where each of them draws a line they won't cross. A cannibal who'd never kill a single-parent? A demon who always says please and thank you? A death god that hates war? Not to mention motive, how their power manifests (money, magic, strength?), and whether or not they themselves know they are bad people. So fun!

I also really enjoy my partner's character being the main character while I play various side/support characters... but I'm not really ashamed of it. For example, I'll play 5 princes all trying to win your hand in marriage because you are the heir to a powerful kingdom. Having one "main character" really changes the focus of the RP and the type of stories we can do.

I honestly don't understand how some people only want to play 1 character. it opens up so much more opportunity for storylines. I had a great roleplay with someone and it had lots of fun and unexpected turns because we both played side characters.

it also makes it so much more realistic, like in what world are you going to speak to one person in your entire life lol

Gah... I've got so many.

• I love me some angst, and hurt-comfort. Sure, I don't like drowning in it, but you can bet there'll be some suffering involved.
  • I love playing insecure or dense characters who can't quite figure out how to confess their feelings.
  • I especially love it when I get to play a soft guy to a more rough n' tumble, fierce, but secretly caring gal.
  • I can't help but love a good enemies-to-friends-to-lovers trope, but sadly I've never really got to play it out properly with anyone in full. (maybe 'cause my tastes get too specific, or something.)
  • I can't really go without fandom roleplays and my comfort pairings for fandoms... dunno if that counts or not. I tend not to maintain interest so easily without that.
  • I also like scenes that might have felt cringe or weird outside of the roleplay, but in the moment and with those characters they seem like the best ideas ever. Especially if it's entertaining.
  • I like it when for a short while the character I am playing gets to be the popular gal/girl in the roleplay. Too long and it gets exhausting keeping track of all the people I need to respond to, but for a short time it's nice.
  • Dragging in a whole lot of side characters and non-human companions and creating the world around us... I have so much fun building up that cast of characters. Also, expanding on existing worlds and maybe altering the lore a touch if it suits the premise better (but not too much; I did choose the world because I liked it, so...), or inventing alternate universe and going into ridiculous amounts of detail on things and searching random articles, videos, reddit and quora posts covering the various subjects.

Name reveals. Names that are shown to be nicknames in order to reveal a real name. Characters known by their first name revealing their full name. The hidden meaning of a name spelled out at a climactic moment. I can't help it, it's such a cheap and saucy way to mark key moments in a character's development arc.

Spontaneous Roleplays. I don't do them as much anymore because I enjoy character development without having to retcon, but it's definitely fun now and again to just run with an idea and see where it goes.

Slice of life is a huge one for me! I kove being episodic and having fun just taking the roleplay at a slower but lighthearted pace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back