Other What's your religion?

Let's also take in account that science cannot explain everything and it is human hubris to think we can understand anything. There are somethings that cannot be explained with mainly cold scientific logic or through the narrow view of a microscope. Such events are left to those of a higher power no matter how trivial or spectacular.

I still believe the big-bang was proof God was bored and wanted something to do with all that free time.

Let's also take in account that science cannot explain everything and it is human hubris to think we can understand anything. There are somethings that cannot be explained with mainly cold scientific logic or through the narrow view of a microscope. Such events are left to those of a higher power no matter how trivial or spectacular.

I still believe the big-bang was proof God was bored and wanted something to do with all that free time.

It is also my theory that God, as powerful as He is, isn't exactly a perfectly "good" person. He's vengeful and downright nasty. But He's the best we got, so we stick to Him.

It is also my theory that God, as powerful as He is, isn't exactly a perfectly "good" person. He's vengeful and downright nasty. But He's the best we got, so we stick to Him.

This is why I consider myself a deist. Like Einstein, I believe there is a God of the natural order, the creator of the universe who is not a very personal God. I really think the vengeance thing is to keep humanity in line because as a species we can be incredibly stupid and capable of disrupting the natural order.

This is why I consider myself a deist. Like Einstein, I believe there is a God of the natural order, the creator of the universe who is not a very personal God. I really think the vengeance thing is to keep humanity in line because as a species we can be incredibly stupid and capable of disrupting the natural order.

I think otherwise...

To me, God is more than just a distant ruler of the Universe. He's also involved in our lives. I believe it because I have a personal relationship with him. And no, it isn't schizophrenia and I don't hear voices that tells me to shoot up a school. But I feel it in my heart that he's there, guiding me throughout my life and giving blessings whenever he sees fit...

In the Medieval era, a group of Christians who were later called "Mystics" came into being. These were people who were known to worship God in a deeply personal, involved way, without prayer books or some such Church-like types of rituals. So yes, I believe God is with us all, with our struggles and triumphs, through sickness and health.

It's just that most people refuse to listen to him that causes a lot of unnecessary problems.

I don't think I have a particular religion, but I do believe that there could be a God. If there is, though, I think he may watch over us, but I don't think he interferes very much, usually letting whatever will happen, happen. (My grandparents are Catholic though, and I do celebrate the Santa-part of Christmas...and East Bunny-part of Easter, so there's that.)

Also, people of religions, please don't argue with me or try to convert me or something, IJl don't want to start some sort of arguement. I peacefully respect your religious ideas, so do the same for mine.

I don't think I have a particular religion, but I do believe that there could be a God. If there is, though, I think he may watch over us, but I don't think he interferes very much, usually letting whatever will happen, happen. (My grandparents are Catholic though, and I do celebrate the Santa-part of Christmas...and East Bunny-part of Easter, so there's that.)

Also, people of religions, please don't argue with me or try to convert me or something, IJl don't want to start some sort of arguement. I peacefully respect your religious ideas, so do the same for mine.

So what do you label yourself as?

People who aren't sure if there is a God are called agnostics. Are you an agnostic?

Yeah, I guess so. I don't really label myself as anything personally, but whenever people ask I usually just say agnostic to save time.

You should look up "Pascal's wager". Or if you're the sciency type, the cosmological argument.

You're an agnostic, which means you are neutral about the topic of religion and God. So I think that researching what I just mentioned would give you a boost in the right direction.

You don't have to do it. But if you are curious, you should really check them out.

You should look up "Pascal's wager". Or if you're the sciency type, the cosmological argument.

You're an agnostic, which means you are neutral about the topic of religion and God. So I think that researching what I just mentioned would give you a boost in the right direction.

You don't have to do it. But if you are curious, you should really check them out.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
I'm glad your replied calmly and rationally, there's a lot of Christians (and believers of other religions I'm sure) that act irrationally about this sort of topic, so it's nice to see the opposite for once.

I am a prophet of the Holy Gaben. He shall bless you all with high framerates and low temps, and glorious Steam Sales. May we not hate the pirate or hacker, but VAC ban him and report him for his sins.

Jk. I'm an atheist.

One I heard recently.
If literally everything in the human reproduction system alone is not EXACTLY right, the entire thing is screwed up.
So the changes had to be sudden and all at once, or put there in the first place.
There is no microevolution explanation for it.
Macroevolution is pretty much disproven.
Which leaves...
//facepalm.

At least take thirty seconds to look something up before you make nonsensical claims like this.

EDIT: For the record, I'm agnostic, but stuff like this only pushing's me further towards atheism.

The speaker was either a liar or hugely ignorant, then. Either way, we have a very good idea of how reproduction works and how it developed, and claiming otherwise is nonsensical.

EDIT: Also, you aren't absolved by saying "Take it up with the speaker." By spreading that false nonsense, you're just as culpable.

While I can certainly agree with, and indeed will often advocate, listening to alternate viewpoints, one needs to consider if it is worth the time to do so when the person in question has been consistently shown to be wrong.

Like, while I might humor someone about it, I"m not about to take someone seriously if they claim to have a powerpoint detailing how salt water is drinkable.

For the record, despite being an atheist leaning agnostic, I honestly have no problem with most religions. What god a person chooses to believe in isn't my business and I'm perfectly happy with letting someone believe in what makes them happy.

What I do take issue with, however, is anti-intellectualism and the notion that science is somehow "wrong." Science isn't a belief or a philosophy, it's a set of tools, methods and processes that we use to test and verify or disprove something. It's more akin to a magnifying glass than a series of edicts that must be adhered to.

I hope I didn't come off as too aggressive in my previous posts, as it wasn't my intent to start a fight. My intention was to try head off the notion that I outlined above. I was probably more aggressive than I could have been, though, and I recognize that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back