TV & Film what's your favourite ghibli film, and why?

soapteeth

just a goblin trying to live their life, really
for me, it'd have to be spirited away, since it was the first studio ghibli film that i fell in love with. it was a huge inspiration to me when i was younger, and it motivated me to think more creativity and focus on my art

oh I love Ghibli movies.
Probably I'd say it's 'Spirited Away'. It's actually the only one I watched in the cinema and I watched it several times. I love the story, the imagery and the characters.
Another one that I like a lot would be 'Kiki's delivery service'. It was a great movie about coming of age.
Finally, Totoro. Despite that it's one of the earlier Ghibli movies, I watched it a lot later than others for some reason, but I loved it nonetheless.

In fact, showing some of those movies to my family members who used to hate anime made them change their opinion and become more tolerant towards my hobby.

Damn, so many Spirited Away lovers. Again, I'd have to say Spirited Away for the music (I adore Boy of the Dragon/Dragon Boy), the interesting creatures and the unique world they built (and it's colour palette at night). Also, who doesn't like Haku, that wonderful dragon boi?

I do love Howl's Moving Castle as well, though I mainly think it was because of the way they designed the castle (damn those Baba Yaga house-on-legs, wait, no, actually it would be more of a scrap-heap-on-legs) and because I read the book afterwards. (I loved it even more than the movie, surprisingly. Sophie was much more of a dynamic character.)

Ah, I love Princess Mononoke a lot too. (I'm taking the three-movies-that-I-like idea from the person above.) The characters are well fleshed and don't end up together which makes a lot of sense to me. The ending was lovely, refreshing and bittersweet. I liked many specific scenes in the movie (y'know, where he pushes the log gate with her in his arms? Yeah. And the ending where they talk and she rides on her sibling? Yeah.) which I can't say for all movies because I don't usually remember specific scenes.

I actually really like Castle in the Sky. No particular reason, it was just the first one I saw and I enjoyed the plot I guess. I watched Spirited Away once at a school club event and I thought it was super weird. Personally don’t get the hype. Otherwise I haven’t really watched a lot of Ghibli movies. I watched Mary and the Witch’s Flower off of Netflix and I thought it was pretty okay, but I know it doesn’t technically count. When I was younger I also watched Ponyo off of Netflix, and I really enjoyed it, but I bet if I rewatched it now it wouldn’t be as good as I originally thought.

I can't pick just one, that would be plain wrong lol.

Princess Mononoke was the first one I saw after my mom got it for me thinking I would like it and of course she was right. The music, by Joe Hisaishi, is great and the story too. Following the hype, Spirited Away is another favorite of mine too. Howl's Moving Castle too.

I fell in love with all of them. But my favorite would have to be the Cat Returns. I fell in love with the storyline and all the characters mostly Baron.

My second favorite movie is Castle in the Sky. I loved the designs and the music was amazing.

It's really difficult to pick one as an overall favorite. Ponyo and spirited away are amazing too.

I have to say that Ponyo is probably my all time favorite. I just love the music and the whole theme of the movie. Of course Spirited Away and Totoro are up there on my list as well. Its pretty difficult to pick just one movie by such a great company.

I'm gonna be cliche and say Spirited Away like a lot of other people have. It's got such a fascinating atmosphere and characters.

But honestly? I love Howl's Moving Castle... a lot. I can't explain it. Something about that movie speaks to me. I adore the music too - it never fails to make me a little teary-eyed (which is embarrassing cause I don't like crying around anybody, and my family often watches that movie with me lol)

I really enjoy Howl's Moving Castle, but I think that's cuz of the book. It's just sooo good that I can't help but to love the movie too.

Howl's Moving Castle. I loved the movie and I loved the books! I remember buying the dvd and just playing it on loop for a week.

Now I own all the Ghibli movies and don't regret a single dollar spent on them. 100% would probably be fine watching Ghibli for the rest of my life(I hope it doesn't come to that though). lol

Last edited:
I'd have to say Howl's Moving Castle is my fav, since that's the one I keep going back to and watching the most! That and I love an underdog story and Sophie is a great underdog!

Howl's Moving Castle. I loved the movie and I loved the books! I remember buying the dvd and just playing it on loop for a week.

Now I own all the Ghibli movies and don't regret a single dollar spent on them. 100% would probably be fine watching Ghibli for the rest of my life(I hope it doesn't come to that though). lol
this is definitely the best wallet ever

My favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service. I wanted to fly and be a witch so badly. I eventually told myself I didn't have the power because just like when kiki lost her ability to fly, I had lost mine and it would return someday if I kept trying.
I would run around with a broom between my legs and just wait for the moment I'd fly lol

Howl’s Moving Castle, by far. It’s just so beautiful. The book is wonderful as well, and I get teary eyed every time I watch it. I actually thought about getting a “A Heart is a Heavy Burden” tattoo for a while.

Mmmmm, that's a tough one. My first instinct is the amazing visuals of my neighbor totoro but my favourite ghibi film is porco rosso. I could go on and on about why I love it.

Well, first of all, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is my favorite Miyazaki film, but it came before Ghibli even though it's often called a Ghibli film. With that said, Castle in the Sky is my favorite film produced under the Ghibli banner because it's a fun, exciting, and emotionally satisfying film that never wears out its welcome.

Last edited:
Princess Mononoke, hands down. I loved everything about it, but one thing that has always stuck to me is just how no one is really considered the villain. Not the humans, not the forest. They all fought for something they knew was right but alas both sides can never be happy. :closedeyescryingfrown:

My favorite Ghibli film is Princess Mononoke!

I took a class in college where we got to analyze different anime, Japanese film, and music. I really like the symbolism behind the film, especially the messages about environmental awareness and traditional values. Also, the fact that the ending is left up to the viewer.

I'd say Ponyo.
It's simply one of these films that you remember in the back of your head but you don't know if it were real or not. Especially when you don't even know what studio ghilbi is yet.

I loved Spirited away and Kiki's delivery service but m favorite of all time is and has always been Howl's Moving Castle. <3

A few years ago I might've immediately jumped to a classic like Princess Mononoke or maybe even Whisper of the Heart. But now, my favourite is undoubtedly Grave of the Fireflies. It's just so beautifully heartwrenching that there's no way I can effectively put my feelings about it into words. The harsh reality of the situation that Seita and Setsuko are in.. it just leaves you feeling so emotionally raw and aching.

Princess Mononoke, hands down. I loved everything about it, but one thing that has always stuck to me is just how no one is really considered the villain. Not the humans, not the forest. They all fought for something they knew was right but alas both sides can never be happy. :closedeyescryingfrown:
^This. I watched the movie for the first time when I was 9 and I've seen it probably a hundred times now as an adult. My oldest son has already seen it and I plan to show my younger one when he's a bit older. All of the Ghibli movies are amazing and project profound messages, but Mononoke is just such a great movie.

I honestly love Ponyo and Spirited Away. I like Porco Rosso too, that movie doesn't get enough love. Honorable mention to Castle of Cagliostro. It's not a Ghibli movie, but Hayao Miyazaki directed it.

Damn, so many Spirited Away lovers. Again, I'd have to say Spirited Away for the music (I adore Boy of the Dragon/Dragon Boy), the interesting creatures and the unique world they built (and it's colour palette at night). Also, who doesn't like Haku, that wonderful dragon boi?

I do love Howl's Moving Castle as well, though I mainly think it was because of the way they designed the castle (damn those Baba Yaga house-on-legs, wait, no, actually it would be more of a scrap-heap-on-legs) and because I read the book afterwards. (I loved it even more than the movie, surprisingly. Sophie was much more of a dynamic character.)

Ah, I love Princess Mononoke a lot too. (I'm taking the three-movies-that-I-like idea from the person above.) The characters are well fleshed and don't end up together which makes a lot of sense to me. The ending was lovely, refreshing and bittersweet. I liked many specific scenes in the movie (y'know, where he pushes the log gate with her in his arms? Yeah. And the ending where they talk and she rides on her sibling? Yeah.) which I can't say for all movies because I don't usually remember specific scenes.
Why did you think it was bittersweet? In the end ashitaka and the san got together (sort of ish? I mean he said he'll visit her when he can) even though they're both repairing their perspective worlds. I guess the forest God being dead was bittersweet?

Spirited away was my first favorite Ghibli movie and princess mononoke almost on par with it.

Last edited:
Why did you think it was bittersweet? In the end ashitaka and the san got together (sort of ish? I mean he said he'll visit her when he can) even though they're both repairing their perspective worlds. I guess the forest God being dead was bittersweet?

Spirited away was my first favorite Ghibli movie and princess mononoke almost on par with it.

Really? I always thought they didn’t get together and just ended up as friends. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back