TV & Film what's your favourite ghibli film, and why?

Grave of the fireflies, Princess Mononoke, (Which is technically Mononoke Hime) and My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro!) hands down. I love all 3 equally.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited away are my top two favorites. Tales from Earthsea would've been my third top favorite, but It just felt very unfinished; It had a lot of potential In certain areas that they didn't really explore and so It left me a little disappointed.

Edit:: Now I gotta re-watch Spirited away.

Castle in the Sky was the first Ghibli film I ever watched. But I gotta say my favorites include that one, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and Howl's Moving Castle. I just really enjoy the fantasy aspects and world-building of those movies. In fact, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service are all getting lumped in there too for the same reasons (pretty obvious by now just how many movies I've watched... eesh).

Gotta agree with KRONOS, though. Tales of Earthsea felt like it could have expanded a lot more in certain areas. The world it had set up was rather interesting, so it is a bit of a shame they didn't do more. It felt... underdeveloped. A unique one nonetheless, but still...

Though Spirited Away keeps a special place in my heart, I have to say Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite one. The Cat Returns is also one of my favorites, it was really entertaining

Dayum, hitting us with the hard questions, eh?

Princess Mononoke and I have a special connection because it was my first Ghibli movie, and because it was sort of my introduction into more mature anime. Up until that point, my only real connection to the industry was the original Pokemon series and Sailor Moon, so I didn't really have any idea how good things were in the wild world of quality animation and stories.

That being said, I think my favorite movie is Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind for a few reasons. One, the score is SUBLIME, and in my opinion, one of the best damn pieces that Joe Hisaishi has ever made. Two, there's something about the roster of characters that I just love. They're diverse and unique, and the actors behind them are amazing. I mean, Patrick Stewart, Edward James Olmos, Mark Hamill, Tony Jay...lots of talent crammed in there. Plus the plot and setting are really neat.

Princess Mononoke, hands down. It was one of the first Ghibli movies I saw,
and so it has a special place in my heart. I love the characters, the setting, the
struggle between forest and man, and especially the development between
the two main characters. Albeit, that forest spirit scared the shit out of me as a kid,
so now I have a lasting memory of it's creepy ass face. My evil ass cousin paused the movie
when they did the close up of its face ... scarred me for life.

Hmmm. I would say Spirited Away was possibly the first I saw. I also like Castle in the Sky (have them both on dvd) and howl’s moving castle. So far, pinto is my least favorite.

Kiki's delivery Service! It was the first Ghibli movie that I say and absolutely loved. Also it showed a different side to witches. (They ain't all bad!!)

I haven't been neck deep into these films since high school, but I have fond memories of Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Both are easily my favorite films of SG that I've seen.

Princess Mononoke! First one I ever watched twice in a row, a tv station was playing it back to back and I stayed up to watch it both times.

I love all of them but of course most important one is Totoro. Saw it as very young age in japanese when wasnt even at school so it was kinda exotic movie to me.
Also i dont know why but Porco Rosso was also lovely movie. I dont know why it was so touching but its spirit was just so great :D

Spirited away, since as a child, I was mortified by it, mainly the parents turning into pigs, but watching it later on, I was able to appreciate all the symbolism in it.

I don't think I can choose a favorite, most I've seen were just beautiful. I might have to watch The Wind Rises again sometime soon though.

howl's moving castle, mainly because the story and the art were so investing that I just lost myself when I was watching it.

Princess Mononoke, first of all it came out the year I was born so it’s obviously meant for me and second of all I love how no one is 100% evil or 100% good. Everyone thinks they are doing what’s best regardless of how it affects the people they disagree with and no one wants to find middle ground until the very last minute when they are both almost destroyed. Honestly, politicians could learn a lot from this movie and the message is so important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back