Other What's your favorite mythical/fantasy creature, and why?

GarnaalProductions

Certified Simpin' Shrimp
Ahoy, fellas!

During these merry hours of postponing all the important stuff that I should be doing, I took my thoughts off-track and reflected on how stinkin' epic some fantasy creatures are. Krakens, trolls, orcs, you name it, there's plenty of awesome non-human/non-real animal creatures that make their appearances in our stories and RPs. Though, of course, everyone's gotta have a few that they prefer over the rest, no? So, let's hear it: what non-existing creature's your favorite, and why do you feel that way?

For me, it's either werewolves or dragons, although the former's slowly gaining the upper hand. Dragons've been my grind for the longest time, I think, but ironically the over-saturation of the type of dragons that I like (as in, I loved Spyro-like dragons for their anthropomorphic qualities, but now it seems like all dragons in media are that way, opposed to the savage monsters that they used to be) kinda made me lose interest in 'em.
What's always appealed to me, though, is how apex predator'y and free they look! Being able to run, fight, hunt and do all the stuff your average lion and wolf can do, but also mastering the arcane arts, and even flight! I do believe it's the certain OPness of dragons that makes them so cool, plus, since they're as non-real as it gets, there's a lot of variation and creative freedom surrounding them too, which is favorable for writers/artists like most of us as well!

As for werewolves, well, I dunno. I've always loved wolves, but the whole were- part only came later, after I was introduced to a children's book series in my country about a white werewolf boy and his shenanigans. I think the whole 'transformation' bit is what it makes these things so great; you don't have to be born a majestic ancient creature to be cool, you can just be a regular human during daytime and kick ass at night. Of course, there's a certain amount of angst surrounding lycanthropes that made them ever-so appealing for to edgy pre-teen Garn, and combined with the concept of being to transform into your favorite animal on steroids, it was an instant deal of the century. And, well, still sorta is- these days, I got my own 'species' of sci-fi not-werewolves that I happily deploy onto the RPing fields & future book series if given the chance. Guess it sticks to ya!

Well, that's enough babblin' from me: feel free to post your essays or solid "i love x because i love 'em"-comments down below, and who knows- you might even find a couple of people who share your passion for certain critters (which can even lead to sick-ass RPs, wink-wink?). Either way, hope ye good folks have a fantastic day/night/whatever, & stay swag, sinners!

Mmm, Hydras. I think my love for them actually comes from Heroes of Might and Magic 1 since my favorite faction to play was Warlocks. Used to play it with my cousins almost every weekend [Followed by 2 and 3 later on as we grew up], and I always adored the Hydra and I tend to favor factions with them. The dragon they got was cool and all [and stronk], but something about the hydra, this massive snake creature from the swamp with a ton of heads just intrigued me. They also rarely get used or appear in RPs, so I don't often think about them, but when I sit down and really think what is my favorite mythical fantasy creature, its the Hydra.

I mean I enjoy a lot more like big, green dumb, 'Ill-equipped ken doll' warhammer orcs, I love Pegasus, Minotaur, etc but Hydras are my favorite.

To be honest, Hydras are my favorites as well. I always thought they were really awesome creatures - venomous blood and spit, multiple heads, regeneration... However, by far the thing I loved most about them how they encapsulated irony, being that when one of their heads was struck they only became stronger.

Dragons because, depending on what region country etc they can mean and represent different things. Western dragons are described a lot of types as unstoppable creatures that bring disaster and can be symbolic for human greed or the destructive potential of nature. Eastern dragons are see as wise, some times benevolent and are the symbol of royal or protection depending on the color. Like Kiryu's
619ddbef2490c9e6f84e75739523fa20.jpg
blue dragon tattoo represents his honorable and protective nature.

The Lempo, or Will-O-Wisp from Finnish mythology is one of my favourites because they keep getting spotted in Finnish marshes or lakes. All. The. Time. There is a scientific explanation for them, but I think that ignoring the science and just accepting that there are animated glowing lights in the world that lead people to either treasure or danger is much better for your spirit.

I like werewolves but that wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind because I see them from the horror movie angle. I like them because they can change their shape from seemingly human to wolf. In the lore that I've set for myself, they can go from looking all human to looking all wolf, but a wolf the size of their human self. They can change anytime. Part of me thinks it'd be neat to sleep on the bed as a wolf.

I would more likely say minotaurs if one asked me what were my favorite fantasy race. I think its the horns that I'm drawn to and their faces. One thinks that they are brutish because they look like animals, but they are more complex than that. I have a minotaur character who doesn't exactly fit the typical warrior mold. He can fight decently enough, but he'd rather play the lyre. I used to like centaurs greatly, but as I developed my writing, I found them limiting.

Last edited:
I would more likely say minotaurs if one asked me what were my favorite fantasy race. I think its the horns that I'm drawn to and their faces. One thinks that they are brutish because they look like animals, but they are more complex than that. I have a minotaur character who doesn't exactly fit the typical warrior mold. He can fight decently enough, but he'd rather play the lyre. I used to like centaurs greatly, but as I developed my writing, I found them limiting.

A unique and interesting choice! I think you might enjoy the Minotaurs from the plane of Theros from Magic the Gathering. Their societies have the British warrior types, but also far more contemplative types such as philosophers and if I remember correctly even music enthusiasts.

Ophanim because they're literally just wheels with eyes. Lots and lots of eyes. Which one are you supposed to look at? Nun is the answer. (that was a pun)

Can't think of anything more metal than the pananggalan. Literally a floating clump of entrails with ghost-lady hair.

And I really like demons because they could theoretically look like anything, so you can get really deranged with how they look. Also some dudes came together and invented an entire demon canon. This one's name is Buer and he has a lot of legs.

Dragons, most definitely. I lean towards western dragons, but I also love their eastern variants.

The cinematic trailer for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is likely to blame for my fondness of them, lol. What's not to love about winged reptillian behemoths with intellects as vast as their capacity for destruction. Another poster mentioned just how much variety there is when it comes to dragons, ranging from their capabilities to what they symbolize.

They are also often presented with such... gravitas. When a dragon appears, either as an antagonist or an ally, the pendulum swings; the stakes are raised, the story takes on a grander feel. They're just so awesome.

Oh - succubae are awesome.

Imagine a super attractive demon keeping you as a pet because she literally gains power from how hot she thinks you are.

Come at me, succubae, I'm ready!

I like deep sea gigantic creatures. Something like leviathan and kraken really tick my fear and fascination of the deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back