Video Games What's your favorite "Hidden gem" game?

PeachesNCream

quick to laughter
I personally get most of my games from yard sales, thrift stores, etc. So I regularly come across interesting games I've never even heard of because they didn't get widespread (sometimes deserved) recognition.
So, what's your favorite unknown game?

Dementium 1 and 2. (Mayyyybe plus the HD-Remaster on PC? Heard it's a complete mess because someone apparently grabbed the rights for the game once they expired, made the remake and most ppl weren't pleased. It does look fabulous tho). Honestly? it scarred me as a child, but I love the games and am praying that we'll get another game. These weird ass flying heads still fuck me up to this day tho.
Another Code: Two Memories. It has it fair share of complicated puzzles; at least, that's what 12 year old me thinks.
Jalopy. There is basically no storyline; you just own a car and drive around the former Eastern Bloc.
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Still waitin' for a sequel :(
Prototype. Honestly, no clue if it's underrated, but it doesn't get praised enough.

Maybe a game that I had called "Petscop". I use to have a PS1, and that game was stung into my memory. It was a fun little puzzle game, one that my parents bought for me at a young age. It had colorful 2-d graphics and a fun soundtrack- and the puzzles were fun and challenging. I can't remember why I gave it away- or why it isn't sold anymore. Darn shame...

For me I'd have to say Mini Ninjas. I've never really heard it mentioned anywhere before, but it's a sweet little game I found on Amazon when I had a few spare dollars to spend. It has engaging combat (despite being a little bit easy), six interesting and adorable characters, a colorful world full of secrets and collectibles and some pretty memorable boss fights. It also just has an overall nostalgic theme to it, as well... I can't say why, but it makes me feel like a little kid when I play it.

Chromehounds. Sadly this was one of the first games to be heavily reliant on an online server and it went down in 2010, with no sequel game in sight. It was a great mech fighting and building game, the graphics were good for the early 360 days and I miss the customization and combat system.

Kerbal Space Prgram also remains relatively unknown for what it is.

Boom Blox. It was a pretty fun little physics game for the Wii back in the day. Even had Steven Spielberg onboard. Definitely worth checking out.

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines on PC for me.

I don’t think I have any console games that aren’t well known. Maybe Song of the Deep (PS4, PC, XB1) or Crypt of the NecroDancer (PS4/Vita, PC, Switch, iOS)

Chromehounds. Sadly this was one of the first games to be heavily reliant on an online server and it went down in 2010, with no sequel game in sight. It was a great mech fighting and building game, the graphics were good for the early 360 days and I miss the customization and combat system.

This. So much this. I cannot tell you how much fun I had making a huge mech that could destroy another with a volley of rockets.
Despised the artillery class though.

Spec Ops:The Line is really underrated. The shooting is alright, but the story and themes are excellent, and the ending still sends chills down my spine. I highly recommend you get it.

The Dept. Heaven series for PSP and GBA. Gameplay wise, they're just your typical RPG, but makes up for it with some of the best story telling I've seen. They can get a bit confusing though- especially Knights in the Nightmare.

Ripperoni ChromeHounds servers, I will forever wait for a community hosted server. I tear when I remember my lost love for that beautiful game.

Some of these may not be necessarily "Hidden gems" by definition, but for the average gamer of today's generation, they certainly are long lost gems of a better time in video gaming.

Xenogears - (PS1):
Originally created as a concept for Final Fantasy 7, but was deemed by Square Executives to be 'too dark and complex for a Final Fantasy'. This severely underrated gem has basically the best plot ever to appear in a video game, from any genre, on any console, period. For any Square or JRPG fan, this game is an absolute must-add to the bucket list.

xenogears_by_gyrfalcon65-d3rhsky.jpg

Rock & Roll Racing - (SNES): R&R Racing is a classic gem by Blizzard. Before Diablo, Starcraft, Warcarft and Overwatch, there were classics like The Lost Vikings, and Rock and Roll Racing. This highly competitive, aggressive racing game was so much fun, that I would take a copy of it over 99% of the BS that's been released since the industry went 3D.

giphy.gif

Legend of Mana - (PS1): A shining example of vintage Square's genius and mastery. Games like LoM are the reason modern RPG's end up feeling like uninspired bullshit. I chose this gif because the endless hours slaving over that forge to create and enhance weapons and armor probably brought me more entertainment than the entire industry over the last 15 years. This is one game no would-be JRPG fan can live without beating at least once. ;)

giphy.gif

Saga Frontier - (PS1): I don't want to keep coming back to how the RPG industry went to shit, but there's no getting around it when I keep posting these titles. Saga Frontier is one of my top 3 games of all time. Seven main characters with a unique quest taking place in the same galaxy, at roughly the same time as others. The replay value on classic Square games like this was just untouchable, even by the likes of Bethesda titles.

SaGa_Frontier-title.png

Last edited:
Oh god almost forgot about Monster Hunter, I get it gets a lot of coverage in a few asian countries, but I think their just aren't enough western players (begging that MH:W changes this)

The World Ends With You. Goddamn the combat was genius. It was a little game on the DS that I played with my emulator and I was straight up addicted to just the battle system. The story was surprisingly very insightful and had a lot of depth to it. It's really different in a way. It was about a guy that wakes up on the streets of Shibuya with Amnesia and finds out he's been thrown in some kind of game where he has to cooperate with strangers and run around the whole city completing different tasks. It was generally just very well written and the characters were great. It even made me tear up. );
034999.jpg

Another would be Lone Survivor, the indie game. This is by far one of my top favorite games. I'm not really into the horror genre, but this one is just wonderful. It's about a guy in a post-apocalyptic city that holed himself up in an apartment building from the zombies outside. Then one day he decides its time to get the hell out of town. The story is a bit vague in its telling, allowing for multiple interpretations with different endings based on a sanity meter, which is measured by how you play the game. It's very interesting hearing what people's interpretations were of how some of the characters relate to the protagonist and how the whole apocalypse even transpired. Also the soundtrack is very good. );
friendsforever.png
Also, this one's on Steam!​

It used to be Ragnarok Online until they went about changing and updating it, still one of my favorite games though!

Dragons dogma on PS3, PS4, xbox 360, xbox one, and pc. Its hard to discribe so I would just YouTube it.

Endless Sky
header.jpg

human-space.jpg

summer-leaf-action.jpg

A game about humans in space, and your place in it. Or is it? Keep playing until the end of the war, then head to the Ultimathule system for some more surprises. The game's a load of fun even after the main quest chain is over. And a dynamic map shakes things up a bit every once and a while. There's even some mystery you can uncover.
Though I've spoiled absolutely nothing (except that there is a war and there's some extra surprise in Ultimathule)
And it's extremely moddable, what with all information being stored on easily-accessible .txt documents

Endless Space 2 was a great turn-based resource-management game.
Like Total War or something, it was pretty great where you got to chat with other factions and choose whether to ally or fight with them.
The race designs were cool and interesting, the mechanics were fun, the voice-acting was lovely and it was completely a game I enjoyed. I recommend playing with a friend if you can.

Maybe a game that I had called "Petscop". I use to have a PS1, and that game was stung into my memory. It was a fun little puzzle game, one that my parents bought for me at a young age. It had colorful 2-d graphics and a fun soundtrack- and the puzzles were fun and challenging. I can't remember why I gave it away- or why it isn't sold anymore. Darn shame...

Wait what, u telling me that it’s a real game? Or is this sarcasm?

Dominions. Low graphics game series about playing a pretender god leading a nation to wipe out the other pretenders to become the one god. The game is incredibly deep and if you can look past the graphics, it's one of the deepest strategy games I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back