Other What’s your “cringey” interest?

There's probably a lot of gamers that think liking a mobile game is cringe so that
Game is Soul Knight, an actually really good mobile game that has a lot of genuine care put into it

Politics. But not like Biden / Harris 2020 or Democratic Vs. Republican, I'm actually fascinated by all the different ideologies out there, the different systems of government people have used throughout history, the rise of civilization, all of that. Unless I know the person I'm talking to is interested in that stuff though then I don't bring it up, haha.

Politics. But not like Biden / Harris 2020 or Democratic Vs. Republican, I'm actually fascinated by all the different ideologies out there, the different systems of government people have used throughout history, the rise of civilization, all of that. Unless I know the person I'm talking to is interested in that stuff though then I don't bring it up, haha.
Honestly same. One of my favorite things as a writer is getting to design the political system of a nation. And not using the obvious choices. Yes, we've all seen the totalitarian dictatorship or the monarchy, but what about a stratocracy, where the government is run by the military? Or what about an elective monarchy, or a council of merchants, or maybe something like the Roman Republic, where military service was required to hold office? I love exploring the flaws and advantages of different systems and what's it's like to live under them

Honestly same. One of my favorite things as a writer is getting to design the political system of a nation. And not using the obvious choices. Yes, we've all seen the totalitarian dictatorship or the monarchy, but what about a stratocracy, where the government is run by the military? Or what about an elective monarchy, or a council of merchants, or maybe something like the Roman Republic, where military service was required to hold office? I love exploring the flaws and advantages of different systems and what's it's like to live under them
When I was younger, so like 10ish years ago, maybe a few more, I use to play these 'Nation Simulator' games with other people on forums. Each person would play a different nation, or political, and we'd play out the relationships, wars, diplomacy, United Nations, all of it ~ It was actually a ton of fun, I was even a moderator for a few. Haha.

Agreed though. It's fun to think about all the different possible forms of government. My favorite period is the 1800's-1900's myself, but that's also just cause of my political inclinations somewhat. Haha.

When I was younger, so like 10ish years ago, maybe a few more, I use to play these 'Nation Simulator' games with other people on forums. Each person would play a different nation, or political, and we'd play out the relationships, wars, diplomacy, United Nations, all of it ~ It was actually a ton of fun, I was even a moderator for a few. Haha.

Agreed though. It's fun to think about all the different possible forms of government. My favorite period is the 1800's-1900's myself, but that's also just cause of my political inclinations somewhat. Haha.
I like building my own systems. Leaves a lot more room to make interesting scenarios.

Roleplaying, Pokémon (I'm starting to do Nuzlockes; one on my Shining Pearl copy, and a Wedlocke on my SoulSilver copy, inspired by Marriland's old Wedlockes; the regular Nuzlocke... isn't going well...), Kirby (people who aren't obsessed with the lore or any of the extra modes might think of it as "pathetically easy baby game"), Splatoon (people might think of it simply as "haha funny squid game"), still having plush and figures from my childhood and collecting more

Last edited:
Watching the kids show Bluey. I can claim it's because my son watches it, but I find myself watching it even after he's lost interest and I want the 3rd season to come out already. It's just so wholesome and adorable and I aspire to be the parents.

Literally all of my interests, man. I can only talk to other nerds. Cosplay, anime/manga, my taste in video games (nearly all jrpgs), collecting plushies, figures, posters, and pastel shit for my super manly bedroom; fantasy novels, goth/alt fashion, I only sew cosplay and plushies (though I'd like to do fashion soon!) Dnd is a huge interest right now. Don't ask how much I've spent on books and dice, oof. Even in nerd communities some of the shit I genuinely love is looked down on- danganronpa has a reputation, I still have fond memories of homestuck and lovelive, I dress less trad goth and more nu with some inspiration that I'll freely admit is from tiktokers so even other goths don't approve of the new manifestations of the style, though I love the old music and would like some more trad stuff in my wardrobe as I do like that style as well. Drawing pictures of pretty anime demon boys.

ASMR.

roleplays is a big one! its embarrassing to tell your friends "yeah i write other people's crushes interacting w them/their oc and they do the same for me". while cringe culture is 100% dead, its still hard to say!

I can't say I see things as cringe much anymore though I get many other people still do. Uh, the list though?

- Writing OC x Canon interactions. Sometimes you just don't grow out of that phase where you consume some media and you can see yourself (I struggle with that one actually, I imagine my characters lol) among your loved and beloathed characters.
- Video games and getting old. Eh??? I dunno I'm gonna play these till I climb into my grave.
- Honestly RP seems to have gotten less 'cringy' according to majority of people I explain it to. Joint writing is honestly a lovely creative game.
- Cosplay
- Shipping. I actually, come from a community where I didn't do almost any form of romantic shipping. For years. Let me make up for lost time and enjoy myself lol
- Pokemon? I wasn't even aware it was considered a guilty pleasure, my mom and grandmother enjoy it right alongside me.

I'm sure there's far more. No shame hah

Voltron, I can't say or even think it without someone or myself thinking 'OMG TOXIC FANDOM" or immediately wanting to bash on the show/how it was handled

I also used liked self insert fanfics/stories because who doesn't want to go on a fantasy adventure where you're a badass?

I've got quite a few!
- Undertale, still one of my favorite games of all time. Got into it as a young teenager, returned to it this year and it hasn't aged a bit for me. Ridiculously fun and nostalgic when you're voicing the characters with your friend, I just didn't wish the community spoiled so much for me before I got into it. 😅 It's a shame that the Undertale fandom has the most unavoidable spoilers out of most fandoms I've seen and was known for how many kids were in the fandom. Also didn't help there were thousands of slightly altered Sans' floating around.
- Deltarune, can't wait for next chapter! It's so interesting to see a nostalgic property for me be turned into something new while also keeping some of the old elements
- Danganronpa. A decent story with a lot of faults but also made really fun when you're voicing it with a friend. I recommend anyone getting into it though avoid it like the plague on tiktok. Knowing spoilers ruins 90% of the fun.
- Breaking Bad. Great writing, but people who idolize and want to be Walter White definitely miss the point of Breaking Bad ahah

I've got quite a few!
- Undertale, still one of my favorite games of all time. Got into it as a young teenager, returned to it this year and it hasn't aged a bit for me. Ridiculously fun and nostalgic when you're voicing the characters with your friend, I just didn't wish the community spoiled so much for me before I got into it. 😅 It's a shame that the Undertale fandom has the most unavoidable spoilers out of most fandoms I've seen and was known for how many kids were in the fandom. Also didn't help there were thousands of slightly altered Sans' floating around.
- Deltarune, can't wait for next chapter! It's so interesting to see a nostalgic property for me be turned into something new while also keeping some of the old elements
- Danganronpa. A decent story with a lot of faults but also made really fun when you're voicing it with a friend. I recommend anyone getting into it though avoid it like the plague on tiktok. Knowing spoilers ruins 90% of the fun.
- Breaking Bad. Great writing, but people who idolize and want to be Walter White definitely miss the point of Breaking Bad ahah
Funny that you got me into the first three of those fandoms. Now you just have to wipe my memories of my parents spoiling Breaking Bad so I can get into that too

Outside RP, probably chess and robotics (building machines - slot cars mostly). Making mini cars and racing them is fun. Plus, I get a chance to solder things and feel a bit like Tony Stark, but with a lot less missile-y.

I am PC building garbage.
Fight me.
Oh trust me, I've seen tons of redditors just absolutely shitting on people for not building their own PCs. I know more people now who tinker with their PC's components rather than buying it pre-built (like the one i have right now).

Cheesy historical romance books. They’re not good, but they’re quick and they’re fun, and in the end, that’s all that matters.

I have a lot, but the biggest one is that I love writing / roleplaying crossovers that don't make sense at all. My Autistic Brain(TM) just looks at two of my media related special interests and goes "Is this crossover material?" The answer is always yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back