Other What's your biggest pet peeve within roleplays!?

People controlling a character people thinking Im literate I'm illiterate and a one liner kinda also people think I can right in detail I try but not everyone can right a book also people taking to long to reply I rp how I wanna rp

Oh and some cancer like grammar police or people that are to serious people that kinda get offended that easily

People controlling a character people thinking Im literate I'm illiterate and a one liner kinda also people think I can right in detail I try but not everyone can right a book also people taking to long to reply I rp how I wanna rp

As a heads up they don’t use the term illiterate on this site. Typically it’s called one-liner or chat style roleplays.

Just in case your looking for roleplays under illiterate.

That said yeah people who get super easily offended can be annoying.

The rubix cube of Bella Swans. Every character is moody, "aloof", reserved, socially stunted, brooding, whatever. Basically an Rp where each player sits in a corner and journals about how edgy their characters are.

Suicide as a focus or as a plot device. Come on. This is a cheap gimmick. There has to be a more creative and engaging way to drive the plot. Once a character kills themselves the plot and every bit of dialogue thereafter is focused on that moment of violence. It is selfish and alienating to other players.

Mary-sues. Billy-bobs. What ever good goodies go by these days.

Unlikable main characters. See Bella Swan. No redeeming qualities and yet they are the center of the story.

Flaking. Ghosting. Abandoning stories because of x, y, or z.

Confusing tense! Pick a tense and stick with it.

Writers refusing or choosing not to improve because "idk thats just my style". Its just lazy.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone already said this but when somebody kind of forces you into a situation

Like i am not the greatest at communicating my ideas, so once i was kinda forced into a romance with one of my wholesome non-romantic characters.

Waiting for a reply on text and then less than a minute after, I ask for a reply.
It's so awkward when this happens because it feels like a long time :l
On here... probably forgetting to complete it and having to edit the reply

Oh man... I got too many! /sob I'll see about three now... hmmmmm~.

1. Only looking to find a romantic interest. I love romance RP just as much as the next person-... but it's so obvious when they have this LOCK ON TARGET and then continue to ignore anyone else just to get in the character's pants / love life. :x Or on the other side when you're the one they locked on to, and they try to hog all of your time instead of letting it naturally flow.

2. 'Perfect looking' characters. This is way too common. People picking picture references that are of models with layers or makeup, or actors that have been fully prepped/make-upped and then adjusted in whatever medium. With perfect looking I don't mean that they necessarily are, especially since people have types, but usually people consider the types I mentioned before to be super attractive for their character. And I find it a shame! Give me a character with some traits that may not be 'conventionally hot' but are still attractive to certain groups. Maybe a character with a beerbelly, maybe someone with small eyes, maybe a big nose- I don't know!

3. Fully ignoring negative things about a race/universe / sticking too much to stereotype (I know confusing ;_; ). This comes from my RP in games, but can also happen in forum RP. Let's say there's an RP hosted and this one Elven race (it's usually the elves, damn you!) have traits of arrogance, racism/speciesm, superiority complex an intolerance. Too often do I see people 'being that one special one that is super nice to all!'

Please don't get me wrong though, I also hate it when people think every character NEEDS to be exactly like their race because that also makes no sense- people are people and they're not simple copies of one another. There's extremes in both of these.

And more towards universe- when there's poverty for example in a world, people will play noble character and they just throw years worth of salary to poor people and are just super kind and .. yeah. Sorry this last point was really hard to explain. ;_;

1543908869570.png

"I want a literate partner."
"Looking for a literate roleplay."

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people on roleplaying websites are literate. It baffles me when I see this in request threads/requirements.
It just seems pretentious to me, and a bit funny.

Mary-sues. Billy-bobs. What ever good goodies go by these days.

This is my favorite line I think I've ever seen on this site

In group roleplays, I'm not a fan of when someone disappears and leaves everyone in the dark. Hey, buddy, you there? I get notifs are kinda wonky, but at least let us know if you're alive...

In 1x1s, I hate when someone wants to start, and I'm like, "Hold on, can we talk plot and setting first...?"

When some, doesn't matter gender, people feel that in order to adequately play female characters the characters must either be damsels in distress incapable of doing anything on their own or feisty(annoyingly) bitchy for no reason right off the start. That male characters must 99% be strong and dominant. Not saying everyone has this outlook but I've encountered my fair share of people that have made their characters this way.

1. Romanticised abuse or romanticised trauma. Suicide Squad did it and that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 50 Shades of Grey does it in the book but it was thankfully taken out of the movie. There's nothing to romanticise, and if you try to romanticise it then you have no understanding of the subject matter and so should not be writing about such a serious topic.
I don't discourage those kinds of themes in my more serious role-plays but I say you should only do it if you can do it well.

2. People who drop without saying anything. I'm okay if somebody has reasons for leaving, but at least let me know for God's sake. It can grind the RP to a halt if you're waiting for someone to reply so you can advance the plot, they never reply and you're just left there.

3. One-shoting. This also plays into God-Modding, and it's essentially when a player ends a conflict set up in not just one post but maybe one paragraph or sentence.
"The demon moved towards the group, it's swords drawn."
Next post: "Then my character punched the demon and it exploded. He remarked 'disgusting' and moved on."
If players engage in PvP for whatever reason it just starts OOC fights too.

4. When you make a world and somebody ignores all the lore and work you put in as they think their version is "better". They don't even try to incorporate what you've made and just start posting or having their character say stuff that's simply not true.

5. Players who don't read other posts before posting. It takes me a while to reply as I make sure to go over every previous post to make sure I'm not missing something.
"The characters ran out of the building as it exploded."
"My character went into the building to check his mail."
This also ties into another pet peeve, when players reference things in their posts that simply didn't happen. One example had the big bad of that story standing in a room with a few PCs, threatening them and the next player post was "As the big bad left, Seth entered the portal."

People who link your character or faction to yourself. If I want to rp as a serial killer I will do it and it doesn't mean I aspire to be one irl.

People who link your character or faction to yourself. If I want to rp as a serial killer I will do it and it doesn't mean I aspire to be one irl.

This is especially true if your character is an OC. People just assume every OC is automatically a self-insert when they're really not. The only time I've used self-inserts has been for joke/shitpost characters.

This is especially true if your character is an OC. People just assume every OC is automatically a self-insert when they're really not. The only time I've used self-inserts has been for joke/shitpost characters.

Yeah, that's a big problem when you try to insert any character you spent some more time on. Bonus points if they call it edgy for being at least a little dark or morally doubtful.

Yeah, that's a big problem when you try to insert any character you spent some more time on. Bonus points if they call it edgy for being at least a little dark or morally doubtful.

I've seen actual edgy characters and in fact, when running role-plays I link the worst example of this as a "what not to do" guide.
A lot of my OCs tend to me morally ambiguous. From the vulgar "scavy" turned merc motivated by love to the spy who swapped sides and wants to redeem the name of their people. I play a lot of different kinds of OCs and actually prefer them to role-playing as canonical characters as hey, how could I mess up writing someone I actually made?

I do get where some GMs are coming from when they ban OCs from an RP outright but it puts me off being in that RP unless there's a good reason for it. Normally there isn't, and it's that the GM just doesn't like OCs.

- People who don't even contribute ANY ideas and to get a base level of information is like playing 20 questions
- Sudden disappearances...
- Absolutely no plot move along
- Spending too much time describing everything that it goes back to, no plot move along
- FORCED ROMANCE
- Someone who can't handle when my character does something they don't like.
- Someone who can't grasp that just because your character is here, doesn't mean mine will magically change. (Ex. A is not going to magically stop struggling with addiction)
- FORCED FREAKING ROMANCE
- Don't leave me in the dark.
- Please, don't jerk the plot so hard in one direction it gets whiplash
- Forced. Romance.

'Nuff said.

I have a couple that always bother me...

- Plotting being once sided. RP is meant to be collaborative, particularly in 1x1 which I tend to stick to more than anything
- Other side of that, trying to force the plot in a direction that does not make sense for the characters/situation
- Forced romance, since I'm sure nobody else in the thread has said that yet

I have a couple that always bother me...

- Plotting being once sided. RP is meant to be collaborative, particularly in 1x1 which I tend to stick to more than anything
- Other side of that, trying to force the plot in a direction that does not make sense for the characters/situation
- Forced romance, since I'm sure nobody else in the thread has said that yet
lol look at the post above yours about forced romance.

Mine's would be players that are too afraid to take some damage, lose in a conflict, or outright say they and only they should win.

Not only does it hurt any form of scenario to progress, it has (in my experience) makes constant drama outside the game and have others focus more on moderating than playing along.

With all this talk of people hating forced romance I am reminded of another pet peeve of mine. Now, obviously I hate forced romance too (especially when one of the players isn't into it) but I was once in an RP where two players were going for a romance angle.
However, these two characters were both women and one role player didn't take too kindly to it so he basically jumped into the IC and did whatever he could to separate the too because "eww Lesbians!"

So I should have less issue with this, but when I do DM, sometimes I get players who regularly try and derail the storyline or kill key characters or y'know, screw up my plans in general. I'll admit it's my weakness as a DM because players will be players and all but I'm the sorta guy who plans way ahead and tries to go for a more main quest - side quest approach. It's definitely something I have to improve myself but til then it just like, eats at me that I have to rethink my whole gameplan for the story.

When people take any and every little thing that happens with their character as a personal attack on them.

So I should have less issue with this, but when I do DM, sometimes I get players who regularly try and derail the storyline or kill key characters or y'know, screw up my plans in general. I'll admit it's my weakness as a DM because players will be players and all but I'm the sorta guy who plans way ahead and tries to go for a more main quest - side quest approach. It's definitely something I have to improve myself but til then it just like, eats at me that I have to rethink my whole gameplan for the story.

This. Especially when players do it out of spite.
I've had my fair share of vanguard characters, sadly.

Edit: For those unfamiliar with the term, a vanguard character is when somebody's character in a tabletop game (most notably D&D or Pathfinder) is killed and the player takes it so badly that the character they make in response is designed to break the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back