Viewpoint What's the scariest part about finding roleplay partners?

Fernarii

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Personally, something I worry about when finding new roleplay partners is running into somebody I already know! I don't use the same username as my other social media etc, and I expect neither do a lot of the friends I know. Hopefully it never happens to me! Or, if it does, that it is a good experience.
What scares you the most??

Hmmm good question. I suppose for me it's the possibility of OOC relationship turning into drama and ending on bad terms.
It happened to me only once but was traumatizing enough.

Searching for partners or player for RP is not generally something I regard as 'scary'. However, there is something that frightens me nonetheless, and that is the possibility of getting involved with the kind of person who would dox someone or try to ruin their reputation, especially if they would do so out of spite from a disagreement. I can take insults, and while I absolutely hate drama and how it can wreck relationships and RPs and thus is something I try to avoid, even that is relatively small scale compared to the possibility of someone taking not just an RP, but wrecking your time in a whole community or worse, even going as far as affecting you IRL.

wondering if the person will ACTUALLY reply and not just out of no where ghost you forever
Mood. There's so many times I have messaged prospective partners and then I never get a reply from them.

Searching for partners or player for RP is not generally something I regard as 'scary'. However, there is something that frightens me nonetheless, and that is the possibility of getting involved with the kind of person who would dox someone or try to ruin their reputation, especially if they would do so out of spite from a disagreement. I can take insults, and while I absolutely hate drama and how it can wreck relationships and RPs and thus is something I try to avoid, even that is relatively small scale compared to the possibility of someone taking not just an RP, but wrecking your time in a whole community or worse, even going as far as affecting you IRL.
Oh man I feel you there, I used to be part of a few group roleplays and one person ended up breaking apart the whole thing. Even one time somebody made their character so important to the plot that when they left, the whole thing was ruined.

Doxxing people is horrific, its why I always try to use different names and identities online c:

Mood. There's so many times I have messaged prospective partners and then I never get a reply from them.
Additionally I think on the other end sometimes it is difficult to explain that you might flat out not enjoy somebody's writing style... or even them! But ghosting really sucks, I hope it doesn't happen too often.

Hmmm good question. I suppose for me it's the possibility of OOC relationship turning into drama and ending on bad terms.
It happened to me only once but was traumatizing enough.
I've had that happen a few times. Its why I like to get to know the people I write with a little beforehand or in the early stages of our story.

I would have to agree with the drama situation. I got too personally involved with someone years ago and it was a lot to recover from, it almost put me off rp'ing again. Also getting ghosted, I'm fine if someone says they want to drop the rp or they're not feeling it, but when they just disappear I'm constantly questioning myself wondering if I did something wrong or offensive. My self confidence takes a knock and that can be tough to handle.

I would have to agree with the drama situation. I got too personally involved with someone years ago and it was a lot to recover from, it almost put me off rp'ing again. Also getting ghosted, I'm fine if someone says they want to drop the rp or they're not feeling it, but when they just disappear I'm constantly questioning myself wondering if I did something wrong or offensive. My self confidence takes a knock and that can be tough to handle.
oh no! I think I understand the scenario. Personally I struggle sometimes with this as I have medical issues that sometimes mean I am unable to tell anybody that I can't talk for a while. Its a real struggle, but I always do my best!

The scary thing for me as a whole about seeking rp partners is simply finding someone who wants the same stuff. It's personal to share writing sometimes so it can be embarrassing and I've never sought out a partner like this before. I met people organically in open spaces and it went further. I'm new to this so honestly I'm terrified

Thing is we would be rping a while and just.. thats it. Suddenly no more replies. Unless I pester them, but I wouldn't do that unless the rp was REALLY good. Not worth it either way

Thing is we would be rping a while and just.. thats it. Suddenly no more replies. Unless I pester them, but I wouldn't do that unless the rp was REALLY good. Not worth it either way
Oh, often I won't even get to the RP stages. I literally send a message expressing interest and then...nothing.

The scary thing for me as a whole about seeking rp partners is simply finding someone who wants the same stuff. It's personal to share writing sometimes so it can be embarrassing and I've never sought out a partner like this before. I met people organically in open spaces and it went further. I'm new to this so honestly I'm terrified
You can RP with me. I am as gentle as a kitten with others. So long they don't try and purposely anger me too much. lol. I can be a kitten or a lion

Oh, often I won't even get to the RP stages. I literally send a message expressing interest and then...nothing.
Im sorry to hear that. I get that often as well. I just brush them off if were not rping yet. plenty others out there. Feel free to PM me your rp interests im curious

what are your rp interests?

I understand that view far too much. I am honestly scared to engage with some people because they have such a higher level of writing than me, in my opinon, as well as different topics they want to roleplay. Wishing you the best of luck with finding somebody that works for you!

The scariest? Telling someone I don’t want to Rp with them either because the vibe is off or life hits and I’m busy, I don’t want to offend them!!

But i give them at least a “Hey, this isn’t working, I hope you have good fortune in your Rp search” because that’s what I would want rather than being ghosted

Mostly, just people being weird. It only takes one horror story to make a person wary of strangers and I feel like online anonymity makes people a little too bold sometimes.

Hmm… I think the initial reaching out, either by PMing someone or writing a ‘seeking’ thread. Then once that’s out of the way, actually writing the posts, I always worry if my writing is good enough, is there enough detail without being over-done, is it boring, or is it not what the other person expected.

Ugh. I love rp, but until I form a some kind of bond with a writing partner, it’s terrifying!

Thisssss.

This sounds extreme has anyone ever heard of a case of it going this far?

Having to PM the person. 😱
that is my favorite part. Getting to know someone new. its like a new adventure for me

This sounds extreme has anyone ever heard of a case of it going this far?

Fortunately I haven’t ever experienced such a thing. I’ve lost people I considered friends over matters like refusing to dogpile someone and I have been involved in tense discussions over things that I would find incredibly trivial, some of which I wouldn’t have thought would cause discussion let alone one that could escalate so much. It is no secret either how things can get heated when it comes to politics especially if it involves anything the person considers very personal / important to who they are.

And while I may not have encountered them myself the kind of people who’d hack or dox someone over way less than any of that are definitely out there.

It could well be I’m just being paranoid. But it’s actually that far fetched that someone like those of the latter group would come to this site - or that we might cross paths and things might tense…

I
Fortunately I haven’t ever experienced such a thing. I’ve lost people I considered friends over matters like refusing to dogpile someone and I have been involved in tense discussions over things that I would find incredibly trivial, some of which I wouldn’t have thought would cause discussion let alone one that could escalate so much. It is no secret either how things can get heated when it comes to politics especially if it involves anything the person considers very personal / important to who they are.

And while I may not have encountered them myself the kind of people who’d hack or dox someone over way less than any of that are definitely out there.

It could well be I’m just being paranoid. But it’s actually that far fetched that someone like those of the latter group would come to this site - or that we might cross paths and things might tense…
I think you will be fine, I know its not impossible but sounds extremely unlikely I wouldn't let it get you down

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back