• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Answered Whats the purpose of a Lore?

Lore essentially is background information on the rp that is needed or useful to know in order to play. It's completely up to you if you think that type of information is needed in your rp, or if players can get by without it. For simpler stories, one spent generally need to write up lore.

it's most useful for fantasy or sci-fi stories done in original worlds, to make sure that everyone is on the same page when writing posts. it's where you can put things about technology, magic, monsters/aliens, religion, history, ect. it's basically just a place to collect important background information without cluttering up the main rp thread.

I have been summoned~

Lore is always great if you have time to write it. Worldbuilding, in my opinion, is just another step closer to combining novel-level literature to standard online roleplay. While it really depends on how detailed you want your roleplay to be, I always prefer as much detail as physically possible and thus as much lore as I can manage. I agree that roleplays less based in fictional/alternate worlds may require it less, but unless you're making a slice of life there's always going to be something new to expand upon. Even if its' just context surrounding your plot and the npcs of the story.

Of course, I'm more of a lore junkie than most so don't mind my over-enthusiasm haha

If I may add to these great posts:

Granted, lore has many technical benefits. In a broader sense, I think the first thing it does - or should do - is stimulating one's imagination during the creation process; the exercise of writing lore around your story not only helps you develop a clearer image of the universe you are building, it also feeds both the reader's imagination and your own at the same time. And like most things in life, you'll get better at it the more you do it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back