Literature What's the last book you really loved?

An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green
-It was full of dry humor, and provided an overly heart wrenching storyline.

It's been a great while since a book stole my heart, and I've been looking for something to read. I love romance, but it needs to come with an intriguing plot. Lay your faves on me of all types because I am probably not the only one who could use a good read!

Tipping the Velvet! If you don't mind a lesbian main character (and some raunchy scenes), you will probably love it. It's so well-written and fun, with lots of twists and turns and a solid plot. You will laugh and gasp and, if you're like me, you'll cry!

The most recent was Goodbye, Transylvania by Sigmund Heinz Landau.

Landau was an ethnic German/Hungarian from Romanian-occupied Transylvania who joined the German SS in WW2 to escape Romanian conscription. He doesn't deny that Germans did do bad stuff on the Eastern Front, but he describes in gruesome detail the Soviet war crimes too, which are never really considered in popular understandings of WWII.

Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of the Macabre. A collection of stories from H.P. Lovecraft. A little beyond my reading level but each time I stick my nose in this collection I feel inspired to write something.

I haven't finished it yet, but there is book which doesn't have a linear story per se, called "The Screwtape Letters". It's written by C.S.Luis and it's a sublime work of ironic yet thought provoking view from a very logical standpoint of a man who was an antheist and converted, and with the book at each page I can see my own life and my own faith in a deeper way, one which I didn't explore before in notions which I had not even conceived.

The basic summary is that it's about this demon who is sending letters to his junior working on tempting a man so he can send his soul to Hell. Yet this demon is inexperienced and so the senior demon, Screwtape, needs to explain how to tempt properly- which ironically gives the reader a view into virtue.

The House on Mango Street; it was small, so it wasn't a trial for the School assignment, but it was also a kinda nice read.

The Kite Runner. I read it when I was still in high school but it never fails to tug at my heart. It is my favorite to this day.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It has the most pathetic, quirky-in-a-good-way protagonist I can think of, the plot rambles on and on and goes off on side tangents all the time, and the book is pretty self aware on how often it repeats a certain phrase. Also it's a WWII book where the main character isn't in the military or in a concentration camp.

Blackout by Rob Thurman the whole series is amazing but this book was my favorite for some reason :)

The Greatest Knight, by Thomas Asbridge.

Told the story of William Marshall, a legendary knight who spent his life serving five different kings throughout history. It isn't the absolute best book I've ever read, but it is one of the more recent that I can vividly remember.

I really enjoy The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey (two lovers who can't be together, based in ancient times, fantasy, etc) and The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare. I don't really have other books that come close to those series.

My latest reading has been the famed Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. In all realness, I was re-reading it for an English paper, but I fell in love with the story. I never realised how close life in an Igbo tribe was to modern life until I read this book.

For a more-leisurely reading, I read Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I am still reading it. It’s probably the most comedic book I’ve read, even though I’m halfway through.

For later, I do plan to read William Gibson’s Neuromancer, when my library ever gets the book. I really want to get into cyberpunk.

I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir. You'd think, that after seeing the film so many times the book really couldn't offer you much more. oh boy I was a fool. It was an astoundingly joyful read. You should read it too

Listen I’m going to keep on recommending the Mortal Engines trilogy until I die, or until it gets enough of a fanbase that I can sperg about it with other people. Either the upcoming movie will help that, or it will be rubbish and everyone will hate it, I don’t know. I just reread it sometimes and fall in love with it all over again.

Concept: Post-apocalyptic. We (the ancients) wiped ourselves out during the Sixty Minutes War. Now cities are on wheels and eat each other as per Municipal Darwinism. Many dumbass pop culture references (America was discovered by Christopher Columbo, the great explorer and detective) and in-jokes. Also, undead zombie cyborgs.

10/10 would recommend to everyone I meet.

Wide Open by Larry Bjornson, a historical fiction piece about the town of Abilene, Kansas in 1871 and its tensions between the cattle trade and agriculture, and those profiting off both, as well as post civil war tensions.

After thirty minutes of searching, i've found the book i'm looking for, Whittington, by Alan Armstrong is a book about a barn full of animals, including a cat with a busted nerve in his ear named Whittington, who help a young dyslexic boy get much betyer at reading. A really good read, if a bit short.

All Quiet on the Western Front. A very gripping and surreal look into the German army during WWI. The German soldiers attitudes and thoughts parallel a lot with our own modern day ideals, and the effects of long turn combat on the mind and body.

I read the Reluctant Fundamentalist by Hamid in my Pakistani Literature class and it was amazing! It was a great commentary on relations between the Middle East and the United States, as well as the effects of 9/11. It was also written in the second person, which as an interesting choice. I hated the main character though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back