Literature What's the last book you really loved?

'The Land of Green Ginger'. It's a kids book, but it's very well written, and it's one of those books just really like and keep reading.

The last books I read that stole my heart were The KingKiller Chronicles. Granted, I don't read often anymore. I still love how they were written, and can't wait for the new book to be released.

Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner. It's a very interesting read if you're into or maybe want to get your feet wet as an easy intro to learning a bit about Zen Buddhism.

His take is especially entertaining from his punk band experiences and kaiju monster movie references.

Right now I am reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" and I really love it so far. It is a true story translated from Japanese to English and it's just beautiful. <3

Just finished The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

It's very short, but it's probably one of my favorite books by Sanderson. It won a Hugo for a reason.

I recently read the Sherlock Holmes collection and I fell in love with the characters in the books as much as the characters in the TV show (there are differences in personality and some characters don't exist in the book). Other than that, I have also been struggling to find books which I become lost in. Probably the Book Thief was the last book I truly loved that was fiction, but I am enjoying reading the Psychology of Dr. Who.

Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede is real good. I've been re-reading it again and it's a very good book.

The Percy Jackson series is always fun as well as The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series.

Epic by Conor Kostick. Rad as hell fantasy where life on Earth revolves around a VR video game called Epic. Very interesting story with a good protagonist.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (although it's a play rather than a book it was still great to read)

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami. Picked up my aunt's copy when I visited her, hoping to use it to pass the time. Fell in love with it afterwards. Strong emotions, great characters and sensual descriptions and scenes. Love the mysterious allure of Shimamoto and Hajime's eccentricities.

The Grace of Kings, by Ken Liu. I really liked the book, its original base (it's a prime example of silk-road fantasy done right), and the way it handled mythology and the whimsical elements that comes with far-fetched historical folk tales.

If I could pick a second book (or rather, a series), I'd choose the Bring Down Heaven series, which handles the matter of religion and the relationship between a man and a God. While it provides a dismal perspective on that topic, as well as on numerous other social matters, that's bound to leave more than a few people in a less than feel-good state, the humour, wits, and characters of the story are absolutely great enough to forget those (that is, if you hate the dark element that so plagues modern fantasy fiction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back