Experiences What's something you admire an RPer for?

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This could be anything from managing an RP really well to just writing a line that really struck you. Preferably keep it to roleplay related things (this is in the roleplay discussion forums, after all).

For example, I've roleplayed with a handful of people who learned English later in life as a second (or even third) language. I really admire that they were able to learn a second language in their adult life so well that they could not only fluently converse in it, but also write descriptive, beautiful scenes using it. I know that's got to be reflective of a lot of hard work and practice.

Some of the GMs I've played with in the past have definitely impressed me with how original and interesting the premises of their RPs were- especially the ones that were an awesome twist on a classic setup. On my old site, one GM in particular was insanely good at that, and did basically what I viewed as a perfect job running those games.

Just being a good and nice person. Also one that is communicative and honest.

I admire someone who is a decent human being- it doesn’t take much and it goes a super long way to not be stuck up and an asshole to everyone.

I also admire the creativity of everyone on this site- like damn! Makes me realize what a talentless loser I am with 0 creative skill! But it’s so interesting to see lol.

Last edited:
One thing that really gets me is not being afraid to break down boundaries and go beyond what is deemed the most popular. Even if I don't necessarily join the RP's it always makes me smile to see originality in RP concepts. After awhile a lot of RP's tend to feel the same, especially when they're based upon some sort of media that is currently popular.

Also, ESL speakers somehow being better writers than me. I'm a native English speaker, and damn. Makes me realize my writing sort of sucks. It also means they really took the time to learn English and it is not an easy language!

Anyone who is capable of writing beautiful prose without being verbose or dense, and those who can pack an emotional punch seemingly effortlessly.

Also GMs who are capable of keeping a game running for years despite what hiccups bad players create along the way. The sheer amount of discipline is amazing.

they don't take themselves seriously. like, for real. the BEST partners i've ever had are the ones who are the most nonchalant about RP and their skills. they're in it for funsies and don't care about impressing anyone. the writing flows much more naturally (and better) when you're just shooting the shit with someone that doesn't expect a masterpiece.

bonus points if they actively encourage you to write dumb crap in discord, plot or realism be damned. my favorite moments have come from doing the equivalent of "lol hold my fuckin' beer" in DMs and then writing an absolutely atrocious post that makes my partner cackle. entertainment over 'intense college level prose' any day. i don't remember the super grand, extravagant plots. i remember the fun times i have with someone.

I've only really had the pleasure of meeting a handful of truly excellent writers in my time as an RPer. But when you read their posts it's like... damn... slow clap and tipped hats to them. I make sure to let em' know just how refreshing and uncommon they are (even if just in a pm). But it really is hard to find writers that can encapsulate a scene with great descriptors and not go off on too much purple prose while STILL also engaging the rest of the group and not narrowing their narrative into a proverbial corner. Their posts aren't full of fluff and padding. and they actually move the scene and contribute instead of spend half of their contribution by recapping what everyone else is doing. Anyhow, total unicorn type of RPers. And I think if I'm being totally honest, It's gotta be something like six or seven of these fabled writers that I've come across while writing online.

These people are my inspiration to work on my own style and always strive to better my writing.

Last edited:
I think that the ability to write a compelling character is what really makes me admire an RPer. Aside from keeping them consistent, it's the ability to have the writing style reflect who the character is (e.g. a laconic style for a taciturn character, something southern gothic for a supernatural RP, etc). I also think it's really cool when GMs/RPers manage to keep an RP going throughout the years or even write one to completion.

I think that the ability to write a compelling character is what really makes me admire an RPer. Aside from keeping them consistent, it's the ability to have the writing style reflect who the character is (e.g. a laconic style for a taciturn character, something southern gothic for a supernatural RP, etc). I also think it's really cool when GMs/RPers manage to keep an RP going throughout the years or even write one to completion.
Yep. As a very character driven writer myself (I'm trash at coming up with plots) I'm a sucker for a good character. Characters themselves should be driving the narrative rather than the other way around. Usually. I know RP tends to be more plot driven than narrative fiction.

Aside from obvious things like writing style, as a fandom roleplayer I admire when people write canon characters in a believable way. Not as some random OC with canon name slapped on it, but when you believe that this fandom character could totally say or do what was written in the rp.

I admire a lot of different things about my partners.

From a personal perspective, I love how receptive and open minded they are to new ideas. It makes the whole process so much more enjoyable when everyone’s voice is heard.

From a writer’s perspective, I love the way people use behaviour and speech to indicate a character’s personality. When it’s done really well, I can almost picture them like a movie in my head.

I really admire posts that drive me to do better. I love long descriptive and deep plot easter egg posts. Like they put a lot of work into the layering and developent. Im not describing this well but you kno what I mean. I love love ambition and a flowery post. Love all the words

I admire being casual, so there's a lot of fast interaction between characters.
I admire being respectful and polite OOC even if you might be different IC.
I admire being open to making and keeping friends.
I admire being good with regular, constant slice of life, not only temporary stories about odd life experience stories that are once in a lifetime.

I can admire a RPer that can take a concept introduced by a GM and just expand on it. When I GM a game, I have a general idea of what things I want to play with, but for the most part I'm shooting off the cuff. Not only does it make my job as a GM easier, but it gives me some fun surprises to work with as well! RP is a collaborative effort; I want my players to make the world their own!

GMs that actually take the time to really flesh out their lore for presentation. It's such a drag to have to pull the information out of the person advertising a request when you're trying to figure out what kind of character to make for the RP. Especially when their answers allude to a half-baked idea, and they seem on the fence about core notions. So here'a tip of the hat to all the GMs that actually do a decent job of worldbuilding before they hit that Post button.

Speaking from the POV of a GM:

When players consult you about the lore instead of having you correct all of their mistakes. It’s thoughtful and it saves me a lot of time and energy. Any time anyone says anything like “I don’t understand this bit, could you clarify?” or “does this fit with the lore? If not I can change it”, I just fall in love. It’s great when people ask first.

I really really really really admire GM's who can avoid the clique mentality and hold a neutral sway on the team as a whole.
I really really really really admire GM's who don't take themselves too seriously and know how to relax.
I really really really really admire GM's who can put their personal feelings aside and judge a person based on their current character rather than past blunders. Someone who is solidified in one mindset just terrifies me! It's a recipe for bitterness.
I will forever admire a GM that is open to collaborating rather than having painfully detailed lore that spans like ten pages. Nah, give me some back and forth idea's. It creates an atmosphere of inclusion rather than exclusion and correction.
I will forever admire a GM who is quick to put a pause on vigilantism I think that ruins pretty much any role-play.

Yep. As a very character driven writer myself (I'm trash at coming up with plots) I'm a sucker for a good character. Characters themselves should be driving the narrative rather than the other way around. Usually. I know RP tends to be more plot driven than narrative fiction.
I so agree with this bit. I have such a hard time keeping a story going if it is an event or pre-planned plot-oriented. A role play always lasts when I have characters driving the plotline and evolving from there. So much more organic.

( so sorry for double posting hides)

I agree with the people who mentioned non-native English speakers. There were a lot of times I've roleplayed with someone who had perfect grammar, spelling, syntaxes, etc only to learn that they were from another country. English was their second language, yet they write so nicely. Makes me wish I could be that fluent in another language haha

GMs that actually take the time to really flesh out their lore for presentation. It's such a drag to have to pull the information out of the person advertising a request when you're trying to figure out what kind of character to make for the RP. Especially when their answers allude to a half-baked idea, and they seem on the fence about core notions. So here'a tip of the hat to all the GMs that actually do a decent job of worldbuilding before they hit that Post button.
It's kinda weird how that works out. But there were at least two people who I'd written with in the past who were excellent, and I mean excellent writers. and they were from other countries and non-native speakers.

I mean... the non-native speaker thing isn't so shocking! Because English is actually very easy to learn. Like, all the people that claim it's hard are just clueless monolinguals. Case in point:

FbKfv2xUIAE1ZN8.jpeg

Just to show you what conjugation can also look like, lol.

English is actually one of the simplest languages ever, and most of us also start learning it very early on due to the cultural hegemony. Naturally, we are good at it! Especially when you consider the demographic that engages in roleplaying -- ie., people who are passionate about writing and feel confident enough to write in a foreign language.

That said, I admire people who can make me feel things with their writing! That's the most important part of roleplaying for me.

That said, I admire people who can make me feel things with their writing! That's the most important part of roleplaying for me.
I agree with the rest of the post, but this especially! I've had really good rp partners that me feel things and that were my favorite roleplays. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back