Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Honestly I would put that on par with doctor x patient. Not saying a drug dealer is a doctor but both are giving you things that alter your body's chemistry to (presumably) make you feel better.

Which is a creepy thing I didn’t even think about. It’s like a cross between power imbalance and also straight abuser mentality,

Honestly I would put that on par with doctor x patient. Not saying a drug dealer is a doctor but both are giving you things that alter your body's chemistry to (presumably) make you feel better.

Which is a creepy thing I didn’t even think about. It’s like a cross between power imbalance and also straight abuser mentality,
Oh God yea. That’s another pairing I’d never ever do, doctor x patient. Nope, nu uh.

I like anime RPs. Some anime have some really cool world building potential. I've also had some poor experiences with these RPs but good ones as well.
Something I really dislike is copy pasted characters. an example of this would be a sasuke clone in a naruto RP.

something that's annoying is guy that can dodge everything. You throw one or five attacks at him and he just dodges all that, like git gud bro. Losing fights usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially when theres a tournament in the RP so for the next few weeks or longer, your just sitting on the sidelines with nothing to do. but even with that piece of information, I still try to avoid dodging everything, and hope my opponent does the same.

The guy that doesn't talk much is kinda weird. "Huh, who's this clown? doesn't say much, nor does he seem to do much. He did help when we got ambushed and he seems to be tagging along. I guess he's with us then? Oh, sorry. Didn't know you were listening. I meant no offense, of course. Good fight back there! When we get to our destination, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you when it comes down to passing out the gold" This isn't RP leaving, but it's odd... just a little bit.

focusing on combat. Yeah no, that's not for me. My favorite parts of the RP are character interactions. Fights are important in an action RP. Sure, but you can still make time to talk for a little bit. Interact. World build. spend a little time camping or something in between fights. Maybe visit the nearby town and look at a shop or two.

something that's annoying is guy that can dodge everything. You throw one or five attacks at him and he just dodges all that, like git gud bro. Losing fights usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially when theres a tournament in the RP so for the next few weeks or longer, your just sitting on the sidelines with nothing to do. but even with that piece of information, I still try to avoid dodging everything, and hope my opponent does the same.

I kinda wish more people were into systems, 'cause they really help with a lot of this when the dice rolls determine everything.

OVA is a general but pretty solid system specifically for anime. It keeps character creation flexible; there are no class-based archetypes and attacks are customizable, so you can design your own really crazy ninjutsu or whatever the world uses. I'm sure there are systems specifically designed for some of the popular anime too.

ThAtGuY101 ThAtGuY101 Totally agree with you. as well Especially when they do CC x OC, like it's just.. weird. Why ship your character with an already existing TV show character? It doesn't make sense.

I have a lot of RP tropes that I absolutely despise, so please don't mind if you see me pop up on this thread a lot.

1. God-modding. Why? Just why? It's not fair if people do it to you, so why do it to them? Does it give you satisfaction? Or do you just like relentlessly terrorizing fellow role-players of RPN? It takes away your RP partner's advantages on what they can and can't do.

2. Overpowering your character. This is pretty self explanatory.

3. THOSE ship dynamics, like abusive x obsessive or stepbrother x stepmom. No. That's weird, and it will automatically make me click the back/report button on a RP.

So yeah this is about it I guess, if you do this, stay away from me and get help.

ThAtGuY101 ThAtGuY101 Totally agree with you. as well Especially when they do CC x OC, like it's just.. weird. Why ship your character with an already existing TV show character? It doesn't make sense.

I have a lot of RP tropes that I absolutely despise, so please don't mind if you see me pop up on this thread a lot.

1. God-modding. Why? Just why? It's not fair if people do it to you, so why do it to them? Does it give you satisfaction? Or do you just like relentlessly terrorizing fellow role-players of RPN? It takes away your RP partner's advantages on what they can and can't do.

3. THOSE ship dynamics, like abusive x obsessive or stepbrother x stepmom. No. That's weird, and it will automatically make me click the back/report button on a RP.

So yeah this is about it I guess, if you do this, stay away from me and get help.
Omg yes why make your characters over powered it basically kills rps. I had that happen I don’t get it.

one exception, for me, for overpowering a character:
Overpowering them but giving them realistic weaknesses
Ex:
Character cannot die permanently and has existed for centuries
BUT
Character takes a long time to regenerate

I can't stand characters that are overpowered. Even more so when in the first post they start out as such. No type of gradual buildup and either no weaknesses or nonsensical ones.

one exception, for me, for overpowering a character:
Overpowering them but giving them realistic weaknesses
Ex:
Character cannot die permanently and has existed for centuries
BUT
Character takes a long time to regenerate
That, I get, but some OP characters are like this:

Character has powers
BUT
When mad character turns into this demon/wolf/alpha hybrid thing that actually had Super Saiyan powers and can kill someone with just a touch of their finger

I despise how people beat you over the head how badass their character is when really they’re contradicting themselves in role plays.

Last edited:
I kinda wish more people were into systems, 'cause they really help with a lot of this when the dice rolls determine everything.

OVA is a general but pretty solid system specifically for anime. It keeps character creation flexible; there are no class-based archetypes and attacks are customizable, so you can design your own really crazy ninjutsu or whatever the world uses. I'm sure there are systems specifically designed for some of the popular anime too.
Systems are great for play-by-post RP! If only there weren't so many hurdles to get it started along with keeping track of the rules and etc. Unless you're using popular ones like DnD, the other players will have to navigate the pages of rules and character creations with limited assistance, and playing without a DM may be tricky (unless it's designed to be GM-less like Ironsworn).

In freeform roleplay where we collaborate on plot progression, I sometimes pseudo-emulate the setting by thinking about the possibilities of failures and success and rolling a mental dice, so to speak. Though, I have a natural predisposition to failure-related outcomes which intensifies the conflict.

Systems are great for play-by-post RP! If only there weren't so many hurdles to get it started along with keeping track of the rules and etc. Unless you're using popular ones like DnD, the other players will have to navigate the pages of rules and character creations with limited assistance, and playing without a DM may be tricky (unless it's designed to be GM-less like Ironsworn).

In freeform roleplay where we collaborate on plot progression, I sometimes pseudo-emulate the setting by thinking about the possibilities of failures and success and rolling a mental dice, so to speak. Though, I have a natural predisposition to failure-related outcomes which intensifies the conflict.

I've tried to get into system RPs. But i can't. D&D is annoyingly complicated and rolls dice for EVERYthing. And I dont eve remotely understand how the magic thing works. Then I tried GURPS and meh... I tried getting into Starfinder recently because of the Space Opera potential, but it's just as complicated as D&D. I mean, I'm open to learning a "simple" system if I thought it would significantly improve my chances of finding some group RPs. But... they're just so goddamn complicated. Like, if I have to reference a whole ass manual just to make my initial character... it kinda sucks. Especially when the system breaks you down into classes that you have to really pick apart and supplement in order to get the hybrid that fit your idea. That's just too much work. That and, as mentioned above, you have to learn something popular if you hope to find someone even running the system you went through all the trouble to learn.

Last edited:
I've tried to get into system RPs. But i can't. D&D is annoyingly complicated and rolls dice for EVERYthing. Then I tried GURPS and meh... I tried getting into Starfinder recently because of the Space Opera potential, but it's just as complicated as D&D. I mean, I'm open to learning a "simple" system if I thought it would significantly improve my chances of finding some group RPs. But... they're just so goddamn complicated. Like, if I have to reference a whole ass manual just to make my initial character... it kinda sucks. Especially when the system breaks you down into classes that you have to really pick apart and supplement in order to get the hybrid that fit your idea. That's just too much work.
The workload is a legit concern. There are more succinct systems made by individuals or indie platforms. Another option is to use the basics of an oracle system (e.g., rolling for likely, not likely outcomes) or cannibalize the appealing parts of the system (maybe you like the strengths/flaws system of character creation) and incorporate them into your RP. Once again, it'll require having a partner willing to collaborate, and that's not always feasible. But I'd encourage others to consider it as a way to freshen up their RP.

Alas, we suffer for storytelling.

The workload is a legit concern. There are more succinct systems made by individuals or indie platforms. Another option is to use the basics of an oracle system (likely, not likely) or cannibalize the appealing parts of the system (maybe you like the strengths/flaws system of character creation) and incorporate them into your RP. Once again, it'll require having a partner willing to collaborate, and that's not always feasible. But I'd encourage others to consider it as a way to freshen up their RP.

Alas, we suffer for storytelling.
sorry, let me reiterate. I often forget to explain myself when I make these posts: I dont do 1x1s, so I'd really only be looking at group RPs. Which , I imagine isn't too difficult since system RPs are generally geared for groups. And while I do on rare occasion try to pitch a freeform group, I would definitely not be in a good position to run a system RP that I only barely understand. I dont want to be checking numbers and allocating the stats on other people's CS's. Just thinking about the chore that would be is enough to make me cringe. I definitely dont want to be rolling and moderating everyone's actions during the course of the story, either.

My ideal is just participatory, and I'd just want to be a player, not a GM. Freeform groups are enough work without hard rules to follow. System GMing seems like a nightmare. Roll this, roll that. This stat is too high, you need a weakness here, Your race cant eat those. this weapon isnt your class, etc. etc.

sorry, let me reiterate. I often forget to explain myself when I make these posts: I dont do 1x1s, so I'd really only be looking at group RPs. Which , I imagine isn't too difficult since system RPs are generally geared for groups. And while I do on rare occasion try to pitch a freeform group, I would definitely not be in a good position to run a system RP that I only barely understand. I dont want to be checking numbers and allocating the stats on other people's CS's. Just thinking about the chore that would be is enough to make me cringe. I definitely dont want to be rolling and moderating everyone's actions during the course of the story, either.

My ideal is just participatory, and I'd just want to be a player, not a GM. Freeform groups are enough work without hard rules to follow. System GMing seems like a nightmare. Roll this, roll that. This stat is too high, you need a weakness here, Your race cant eat those. this weapon isnt your class, etc. etc.
Oh, yeah. Group GMing in a forum setting does seem very laborious. Even being a player would offer its challenges.

Ova? What does that stand for?

I have been very lucky to say, this is the first time I heard of this type of shenanigans. Yeah, that sounds very weird.

ships in general have always been a no no for me. They can be successfully done, but even then I prefer to have character interactions as just friends. Maybe really good friends, and just leave it at that.

I dislike the trope of turning canons personalities into certain types that is nonsensical not to mention widely ooc.

Oh yeah, unless the system is strictly for combat only or is meant to be GM-less, it wouldn't be ideal to run something without a designated leader.

On another site, I have a D&D campaign that's been running for 7 months and another that's starting its second month. Some of it is luck and managing to get players with chemistry/who have patience. Having a Discord server kinda helps to resolve dice rolls or questions in between posts, but also what I do is publicize the AC and HP of enemies. That way the players can figure out the results of their rolls without active DM oversight.

I also don't enforce a posting order. My rule is that players must post within X time period. If they want a certain order in relation to each other, then that's up to them, but the deadline is X if you want a post that round. The same policy is used in combat, too. That way players can post when they have time, which expedites things vs hoping real life is convenient for them when it would be their time to post in a standard turn order.

But you're right that systems, especially lesser known ones, have pitfalls in play by post vs tabletop. It definitely involves finding the right community, too, and RPN really isn't it, based on how dead the dice board usually is.

Even freeform's got its own cons, though.

Ova? What does that stand for?
Original Video Animation, which is anime on DVD/Blu-Ray not previously released for television or theaters.

The system itself is just called "OVA" though.

God-nodding in RPs blows. Just insecure people trying to over power themselves and ruin the RP.

Making assumptions about characters that don’t make a lick of sense.

(only on this thread because it's interesting,and I'm rarely on rpn because reasons)

1. When there is a bisexual romantic pairing but the person interested in roleplaying will not let me play anything but the opposite gender. I don't have anything against having a bi character dating the opposite gender but at that point in the roleplay it just feels like it's a cis straight relationship between the characters. I mean no disrespect by that btw.

2. Minors and adults roleplaying non platonic relationships, it just puts me off because I've been a victim of that in the past and it's just heckin weird.

3. When a roleplay is open to non human OCS and I bring my most played character in (an anthro rabbit mutant, he is not a furry) and people say I can't play him even though he fits the guidelines. And then say I can't play a furry (even if I tell them he isn't a furry) and make fun of me. It's just an over all red flag for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back