Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

I’m really bad at the “Soul Mate” AU…And I don’t do “Alpha/Omega” AUs justice because…it tends to be very inaccurate to actual wolf behavior 99% of the time…and I know it’s all in good fun…but my brain won’t let me let it go! I give props and still have hella respect for those who do work with these tropes with confidence!
i agree. its just not right for me, it stresses me out and i dont know how to really explain it. but i totally get where youre coming from

I did just say it's not about competition. I don't understand what this has to do with what I've said though.

Because it’s not a competition.

It’s not someone saying “your writing too much and thus must be better than me.”

It’s someone saying “I can’t meet your writing requirements”.

So all you have to do is clarify what your looking for in terms of writing requirements.

I’m really bad at the “Soul Mate” AU…And I don’t do “Alpha/Omega” AUs justice because…it tends to be very inaccurate to actual wolf behavior 99% of the time…and I know it’s all in good fun…but my brain won’t let me let it go! I give props and still have hella respect for those who do work with these tropes with confidence!

I tend to approach it less as wolf pack and more as a commentary on gender roles. If you look at both Soul Mate AUs and Omegaverse as a way to comment on comment tropes in media around romance and gender identity it's so much less of a mindfuck.

Cuz I'm the same way I can't suspend my disbelief to think that "violent people should automatically be in charge" is a good way of structuring society. Or alternatively "I must automatically form a connection to some because of a mark." Like nah. Im gonna need you to build up a foundation of my brain disconnects.

I tend to approach it less as wolf pack and more as a commentary on gender roles. If you look at both Soul Mate AUs and Omegaverse as a way to comment on comment tropes in media around romance and gender identity it's so much less of a mindfuck.

Cuz I'm the same way I can't suspend my disbelief to think that "violent people should automatically be in charge" is a good way of structuring society. Or alternatively "I must automatically form a connection to some because of a mark." Like nah. Im gonna need you to build up a foundation of my brain disconnects.
LMAO

Because it’s not a competition.

It’s not someone saying “your writing too much and thus must be better than me.”

It’s someone saying “I can’t meet your writing requirements”.

So all you have to do is clarify what your looking for in terms of writing requirements.
To be honest, while you may have your own experiences within roleplay, they are not the same as everyone else. You don't know what is in the mind of every individual so while you assume this is just another case of mirroring, it very well could not have been. I've encountered people, and I'm pretty sure this person was one of them, who have acted as if roleplay is some kind of competition. You write one way, someone has to do better. Use better adjectives, have better characters, and so forth.

I was told by this individual that I did write too much which is funny considering their writing sample looked to be over 3,000 words. I've even had people straight up tell me my writing is better and they don't want to write with me. So please don't invalidate my experience especially since you were not the one to go through it. Anyway, no need to keep going over this. Back on topic.

both scare me. im a minor so i dont do that. it disgusts me and it makes me sick.
Well, yeah... if you're a minor you shouldn't be engaging in that. You can get people in trouble because of the implications, especially if the other person is NOT a minor. As an adult, I do write that stuff. But I take it to appropriate sites, and only with other adults. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. But it isn't supposed to be something that minors engage in (especially with adults).

Again, if anyone is trying to do this with you on RPN, you should report them.

Back on track: Another RP trope/topic that has me clicking that "back" button as soon as I read it, is a Medieval Fantasy setting that has the focus of the roleplay being around nobles. Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, and the nobility down the line. Fuckin' yawnsville. Or same setting, but the PCs are all required to be knights or guardians of some sort or another

When an RP has a kingdom/territory/country that's just a mishmash of different East Asian countries rather than having a unified aesthetic. I understand that fictional worlds aren't going to be a 1 to 1 copy of real life but it feels lazy to just throw random cultural elements into a pot and call it a day.

When an RP has a kingdom/territory/country that's just a mishmash of different East Asian countries rather than having a unified aesthetic. I understand that fictional worlds aren't going to be a 1 to 1 copy of real life but it feels lazy to just throw random cultural elements into a pot and call it a day.
Adding to this, when they just copy/paste different "fantasy" nations with real-world ancient cultures. Basically, just placing the cultural ideals and aesthetic down and slapping the fantasy kingdom behind them. i.e. Japanese, Viking, Greek, etc.

Even with a unified aesthetic, it's still really lazy if it's just plucked from an irl culture.

Adding to this, when they just copy/paste different "fantasy" nations with real-world ancient cultures. Basically, just placing the cultural ideals and aesthetic down and slapping the fantasy kingdom behind them. i.e. Japanese, Viking, Greek, etc.

Even with a unified aesthetic, it's still really lazy.
Eh...it works for RP since worldbuilding is a waste of time and effort for something that will likely die after a few posts.

Eh...it works for RP since worldbuilding is a waste of time and effort for something that will likely die after a few posts.
well... I can't argue with that.

If I could get back the time I've wasted on projects that just never got anywhere, I'd have probably months of freetime

Not exactly trope but if I see a GM who is apprently running/interest checking like 3-4 RPs at once it automatically goes on my super sus list

RPs with set roles, unless they're super mega vague

I mean... with that mindset, it probably WILL die, lol. This doesn't actually happen that often to me, and if if does, I'll just save the worldbuilding for other projects and recycle it. No effort wasted!

Not exactly trope but if I see a GM who is apprently running/interest checking like 3-4 RPs at once it automatically goes on my super sus list

RPs with set roles, unless they're super mega vague

Takes me back to my group days. I had one GM who also ran a graphic shop on the site so they were always making graphics for various roleplays and never getting around to actually starting anything.

But jumping into the world-building discussion I honestly would take “lazy” world-building over no world-building at all. It drives nuts when people are like “here are my characters pick one.”

I just don’t understand what they expect to get out of a roleplay where the only thing I have to go on is they can fill out a character sheet. Like maybe it’s just me but I kinda think of that as the least important skill in building a roleplay.

I am not super fond of pairing lists but I can at least build up an idea from them. I can’t build an idea if all you have is random CS or introductions.

Well, yeah... if you're a minor you shouldn't be engaging in that. You can get people in trouble because of the implications, especially if the other person is NOT a minor. As an adult, I do write that stuff. But I take it to appropriate sites, and only with other adults. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. But it isn't supposed to be something that minors engage in (especially with adults).

Again, if anyone is trying to do this with you on RPN, you should report them.
i fully understand that, thanks for the tip(s)!

Professor/teacher x student tropes.

Nu uh, I don’t do that. That’s wack, creeps me out. Will never do a RP with that pairing. Just a personal thing of mine.

Professor/teacher x student tropes.

Nu uh, I don’t do that. That’s wack, creeps me out. Will never do a RP with that pairing. Just a personal thing of mine.
no, no, i agree with you too. like who does that?? that is weird and disgusting

I dislike it even if both the professor and student character are age 18+. But I'm heavily against it when the student character is a minor. That's a huge no no... Not ok in my opinion.

I dislike it even if both the professor and student character are age 18+. But I'm heavily against it when the student character is a minor. That's a huge no no... Not ok in my opinion.
Yea, even with both characters being 18+ there's still that power imbalance. For the same reason I don't like boss x employee pairings either.

Yea, even with both characters being 18+ there's still that power imbalance. For the same reason I don't like boss x employee pairings either.
Yea it’s like in no way should a person put in power to teach take advantage of their position like that and engage in that type of relationship with a student.

I'm the same way with all power imbalance relationships. Whether it's student x teacher, boss x employee, Royal x peasant, master x slave, etc.

If one character depends on another for their livelihood or their quality of life they have no business being romantically paired.

A pairing between a drug addict and drug dealer. Might be a thing for some, I just can't get on board with it especially if there's romance involved. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Angst all the time every time.

Yandere.

Let's take our chatting off site. No thanks.

A pairing between a drug addict and drug dealer. Might be a thing for some, I just can't get on board with it especially if there's romance involved. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Angst all the time every time.

Yandere.

Let's take our chatting off site. No thanks.
I feel like this would fall into what we were just discussing about power imbalance relationships. The drug addict obviously relies on the dealer so definitely iffy as a romantic pairing.

I feel like this would fall into what we were just discussing about power imbalance relationships. The drug addict obviously relies on the dealer so definitely iffy as a romantic pairing.
It's not something I would want to roleplay. The whole power imbalance relationship stuff is right up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back