Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

LOL, I have tried mixing a "god" with a non magical world where the god is suddenly forced to do everything manually because magic ain't working. They have to get a job, etc ... Honestly, that's a tough idea to run with and a hard sell for most. Which admittedly means it is an idea to back away from and look elsewhere. Better as a story by an author than a collaborative fiction.

lol that sounds hilarious XD It's giving me Miracle Worker vibes.

When people can’t math. You can’t be half angel, half demon, half werewolf, half vampire.

I mean there is a lot wrong with that genetically anyway but it’s the math that really gets me to “nope I’m good I don’t need that drama.”

When people want you to play a canon character, and one specific canon character only

just, no. nope nope nope

When people can’t math. You can’t be half angel, half demon, half werewolf, half vampire.

I mean there is a lot wrong with that genetically anyway but it’s the math that really gets me to “nope I’m good I don’t need that drama.”
When people want to play those types of characters that's usually when I nope out anyway.

Math aside, that sounds like a total cringe-fest. Edgy characters that combine even just two of any of those racial types are things that go in the rubbish bin.

Math aside, that sounds like a total cringe-fest. Edgy characters that combine even just two of any of those racial types are things that go in the rubbish bin.
Especially with werewolves. You either are a werewolf or you aren't. At least half-vampire can be justified somewhat by making the character a dhampir. As for angels and demons, probably wouldn't even reproduce with humans so such a union would be impossible. It just sounds like a way to make a character special snowflake.

Especially with werewolves. You either are a werewolf or you aren't. At least half-vampire can be justified somewhat by making the character a dhampir. As for angels and demons, probably wouldn't even reproduce with humans so such a union would be impossible. It just sounds like a way to make a character special snowflake.
Technically, a demon already was an angel before they fell to a demon.... so it's impossible to be a half.

RPs that incorporate canon character's, period.
I will play in canon universes since it's easier than worldbuilding (I won't do extensive worldbuilding for RP's since they all die so quickly), but absolutely no canon characters. Not even in cameo appearances.

I will play in canon universes since it's easier than worldbuilding (I won't do extensive worldbuilding for RP's since they all die so quickly), but absolutely no canon characters. Not even in cameo appearances.
I'm totally up for settings in a preconceived world. Star Wars is one that I particularly love for a background since there is just so much Legends lore to derive from that you never even need to come close to anything in the movies or series. But that doesnt mean I wanna RP next to skywalker and obi-wan

for angels and demons, probably wouldn't even reproduce with humans so such a union would be impossible
I think calling it impossible is a bit of a reach. Angels and demon reproducing with humans have happened a few times in folklore and mythology.

Also, they are fictional so you can just make up whatever you want about them.

I think calling it impossible is a bit of a reach. Angels and demon reproducing with humans have happened a few times in folklore and mythology.

Also, they are fictional so you can just make up whatever you want about them.
fictional yes. But you have to keep your fiction in line. What if I was like, "Oh, these are my frost giants. But they live in the swamp and are 5 feet tall?"

Demons and Angels from Christian mythos (which is the most common derivative and projected aesthetic) are actually sexless. So no reproduction is possible.

Ether way, 99.999% of settings involving Angels and Demons is pretty much an instant back out for me. Shit is pretty much guaranteed to be super cringe and with OP characters galore.

What if I was like, Oh, hese are my frost giants. But they live in the swamp and are 5 feet tall?
I don't really see the issue. Giants in Norse mythology weren't always portrayed as being, well, of giant height.

Demons and Angels from Christian mythos (which is the most common derivative and projected aesthetic) are actually sexless. So no reproduction is possible.
That's depends entirely on which Christian mythos you base your angels and demons on. In Ethiopian Christianity, for example, angels are canonicaly capable of reproducing with humans.

I know this will make me sound 13 years old but romance, it just makes me cringe so hard and feel like there are cooties crawling up my back, I rather RP with the worse cringy edgelord you've ever met than do any sort of romantic relationship

I ghosted entire RPs because there were people trying to romance my characters, it just makes me feel so weird and gross and weird and uncomfortable (and no, it's not a condition and I don't need therapy for it)

I'm ok with other people doing it in my groups, but that means I can just ignore it, and also don't expect me to actively contribute anything

I don't really see the issue. Giants in Norse mythology weren't always portrayed as being, well, of giant height.

That's depends entirely on which Christian mythos you base your angels and demons on. In Ethiopian Christianity, for example, angels are canonicaly capable of reproducing with humans.
Jötun were great monsters in Norse mythology, and the Eddas in their current form aren't the most consistent in their translation because they were translated and adapted by Christians. The epic of Beowulf is a perfect example of the mess that is Norse mythology and its piss poor translation through the ages. However, I will give you that Norse "Dwarves" were actually giants, holding up the corners of the world. BUT, just about everyone is going to recognize dwarves by what Tolkien made them. Straying from that widespread understanding is just asking for people to misunderstand you.

Pretty sure if you pitch the idea of a giant to someone, or a group of someones, they are going to expect a certain portrayal. And when I referenced Christian dogma, I'm of course referring to the most commonly spread form. When these ideas come up, you need to understand that there is a certain rendition that most people will understand of them. Elves have pointed ears, Dwarves are short, Angels are God's agents that precluded humans, etc. etc.

Yes, you can totally make up your own version of them and tweak them to your hearts content. But then the name becomes superficial as you haven't conformed them at all to the notion behind what people already understand of them.

Jötun were great monsters in Norse mythology, and the Eddas in their current form aren't the most consistent in their translation because they were translated and adapted by Christians. The epic of Beowulf is a perfect example of the mess that is Norse mythology and its piss poor translation through the ages. However, I will give you that Norse "Dwarves" were actually giants, holding up the corners of the world. BUT, just about everyone is going to recognize dwarves by what Tolkien made them. Straying from that widespread understanding is just asking for people to misunderstand you.

Pretty sure if you pitch the idea of a giant to someone, or a group of someones, they are going to expect a certain portrayal. And when I referenced Christian dogma, I'm of course referring to the most commonly spread form. When these ideas come up, you need to understand that there is a certain understanding that most people will have of them. Elves have pointed ears, Dwarves are short, Angels are God's agents that precluded humans, etc. etc.

Yes, you can totally make up your own version of them and tweak them to your hearts content. But then the name becomes superficial as you haven' conformed them at all to the notion behind their original nomenclature.
Right. Spot on. To go to the example of Ethiopian Christian doctrine that's hardly the mainstream or all that well-known. Only a hardcore theology nerd would catch that and I suspect most RPers aren't theology nerds. When RPers think of angels and demons they will think of the Protestant, Catholic, or occasionally Jewish and Islamic, doctrine surrounding them.

Scoundrel Scoundrel
Say for instance I made a scifi setting. And then I say, hey guys these are the Trosh. They are alien lizards from a planet that is very cold, forcing the lizards to grown fur and become warm-blooded.. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense. And I should probably have just said they are rat aliens. I mean, yes, creative freedom says I can call them whatever I want. But for the sake of not being pointlessly complicated, you base the fiction on the most familiar concepts that people will be able to relate to.

98306f258bf78124c1955f2923743fcf.jpg

I'm not opposed to it entirely whatsoever, but right now anything with super extensive lore that I need to read up on to join a rp is a no-go for me. I just don't have the time/energy or headspace for something like that right now, even if there are a lot of really cool concepts out there that come with a ton of lore. Maybe in the future, but right now it's a no from me.

When these ideas come up, you need to understand that there is a certain rendition that most people will understand of them.
Sure, but that doesn't really change the fact that it's pretty silly to claim what is and isn't possible when talking about the reproductional capabilities of fictional entities.

Besides, people change things all the time when it comes to creatures from folklore and mythology. For example, the idea that trolls can regenerate comes from a Danish fantasy book from 60's but people were able to accept that change.

So why is the idea that angels and demon can reproduce with a human (which I remind you, have existed for a long time. Just look up the book of Enoch) the straw that breaks the camels back?

Say for instance I made a scifi setting. And then I say, hey guys these are the Trosh. They are alien lizards from a planet that is very cold, forcing the lizards to grown fur and become warm-blooded..
That has nothing to do with my argument at all. A more fit comparison would be if I arbitrary decided that all ratlike humanoids must act like the Skaven from Warhammer.

Sure, but that doesn't really change the fact that it's pretty silly to claim what is and isn't possible when talking about the reproductional capabilities of fictional entities.
No one said it was impossible. Bith Jannah and I were just stating that Angels and Deomns in their most commonly accepted form are sexless, and thus unable to reproduce. That's the commonly accepted version of Angels and Demns. I mean, we dont even know each other and both of us came to the same conclusion on that right off.
Besides, people change things all the time when it comes to creatures from folklore and mythology. For example, the idea that trolls can regenerate comes from a Danish fantasy book from 60's but people were able to accept that change.
As Jannah already mentioned, your average RPer isn't a literary nerd, and people are going to use the most common tropes. Regenraing Trolls were widespread from D&D, which barrowed excessively from Tolkien. These are the mainstay concepts, and deviating form these too much or too drastically makes calling any given creature by thier previous iteration pointless.

So why is the idea that angels and demon can reproduce with a human (which I remind you, have existed for a long time. Just look up the book of Enoch) the straw that breaks the camels back?
I dont actually know what you're talking about, so I will have to look that up. lol

That has nothing to do with my argument at all. A more fit comparison would be if I arbitrary decided that all ratlike humanoids must act like the Skaven from Warhammer.
it has everything to do with it. All I did was switch the subject matter so that we are discussing the concept objectively instead of specifically Angels and Demons. You can't take a concept of popularized fiction, then call it something else entirely, and expect people to just nod in agreement. And WH isnt as widespread as the general concept of rat people and lizardmen. So most RPers arent going to make that connection of space rats to skaven in the first place. WH, though it has gained popularity in recent years, is a niche fandom (I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a Warhammer based RP advertised on here in the two years I've been a member of RPN)

Last edited:
I dont actually know what you're talking about, so I will have to look that up. lol
Book of Enoch is a pretty obscure Biblical book that is only considered canon in the Ethiopian church. Your comment about not being familiar with it definitely proved the point I was making in my other post. That's not a jab at you of course, but it really did drive my point home, lol.

No one said it was impossible.

As for angels and demons, probably wouldn't even reproduce with humans so such a union would be impossible.
Emphasis mine.

That's the commonly accepted version of Angels and Demns.
That's one commonly accepted version of angels and demons, yes. But again, it's not the only one.

As Jannah already mentioned, your average RPer isn't a literary nerd, and people are going to use the most common tropes
Right, but if said Danish book was published today would you have critiqued the inclusion of a regenerating troll for not "using the most common tropes"?

You can't take a concept of popularized fiction, then call it something else entirely, and expect people to just nod in agreement.
Never said you could "call it something else entirelty". My point is that you don't have to stick to the current most popular tropes regarding fictional creatures. You're free to change it up a bit.

Right, but if said Danish book was published today would you have critiqued the inclusion of a regenerating troll for not "using the most common tropes"?
yes, it would need explication.

I've done this myself by the way. And I'm not saying people CAN'T do it. I'm saying that changing a core concept too radically makes it so that you just have to really expound on the subjec. And sometimes taking it too far defeats the purpose of what it was originally expected to be.

I even have a character that is a "Horned Goblin". she is more resistant to magic and has minor regenerative properties. But I completely understand that this is not a common notion of goblins, so I had to make an entire lore document to explain it. She is essentially a subspecies, etc. But I know this isnt a common conception of them. So I dont expect people to just take it as a such.

Never said you could "call it something else entirelty". My point is that you don't have to stick to the current most popular tropes regarding fictional creatures. You're free to change it up a bit.
Sorry, I mis-phrased that. I meant to say that you can't take a concept that is commonly understood as one thing, then change a core concept of it to something that is antithesis of that concept, and just expect people to go with it. i.e. Angels with sex derivatives.

And as I stated early on, anyone can make whatever rendition of fiction they desire. Just dont expect people to go along with it. What you essentially create is a secluded RP space. Angels that can reproduce automatically throws people for a loop because they traditionally do not have sexes in their most widespread iteration. It changes the entire dynamic of what angels are commonly portrayed as. Yes, there are other versions of them. But that is something that most people don't know about, and thus wont relate to

Last edited:
Lol I tend not to leave an RP without discussion period. I feel whoever it is deserves to know why I’m leaving or stopping the RP. So I guess I have no answer to this question and just wasted 10 seconds typing this and 5 seconds of your time reading this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back