Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

When your interest check includes personal info that you want from your partner like their gender and sexuality. I'm sorry I can respect that you've had bad experiences in the past but people's irl gender and sexuality are none of your business and you don't get to demand they tell you...plus they can just lie about it to make you feel comfortable anyway so how would you even know?
I agree with this (in the context of vanilla RP), and will also add that: Yeah, people's gender and sexual identity are none of my business and I don't want and don't care about it. So please people, keep it to yourself.

I don't mind playing MxM or FxF. Haven't done it in a while though reason being every time I did the people I wrote with wanted to have those set roles. Who has a more dominant personality, who is less dominant aka a pushover. It was every single time. Why do roles need to be a factor at all if we are writing a damn story together about characters?

I don't mind playing MxM or FxF. Haven't done it in a while though reason being every time I did the people I wrote with wanted to have those set roles. Who has a more dominant personality, who is less dominant aka a pushover. It was every single time. Why do roles need to be a factor at all if we are writing a damn story together about characters?
oh, man... don't get me started on Dom/sub roles. I HATE how prevalent that has become. It's so one-dimensional. Like, you're boxing in your character dynamic before even starting a narrative. One of the lamest things to get popular in RP. I blame 50 shades of Grey.

oh, man... don't get me started on Dom/sub roles. I HATE how prevalent that has become. It's so one-dimensional. Like, you're boxing in your character dynamic before even starting a narrative. One of the lamest things to get popular in RP. I blame 50 shades of Grey.
As much as people who hate on people who like anime annoy me I'm gonna have to blame this on Yoai, from what I can remember they've been doing the sub/dom thing long before Twilight or 50 shades was even a thing but for some reason, it went at up after Killing Stalking became popular which to be fair did come after 50 Shades.

i get what you mean, but if that was the case, then it's still weird that they chose to use that sort of dynamic when they could've said anything else. plus, i doubt this applies to the person i was talking about- least, that's not what i got from their phrasing. they specifically referenced real life slavery for context on the kind of plot they were looking for, such as bringing up time periods and cultures wherein slavery was common, and stated that their character would be a labor slave.

So I am a big fan of Harlequin romance and have read my share of erotica. So to clarify there is a big difference between “master x slave” in Romance genre and “master x slave IRL.”

Because IRL we look at slavery from the masters perspective. Slaves are quiet literally useful property, like a plow or a vacuum cleaner.

But in Romance stories it isn’t about the master owning the slave. It is a way mutually beneficial relationship where both characters meet each other’s needs. One character might be “a slave” but in the same way a wife is a slave. What I mean by that is that the slave isn’t property so much as they are a possession. And there is a very big difference in romantic genre.

Some women like the idea of belonging to someone else. They want a man who makes all the decisions and all they have to do is what their told.

Now I will agree this is a vast romanticization of slavery in the real world. But that’s because the person making the request is not typically linking it to “real” slavery.

What you describe seems to be a straight up fetishization of a particular society. Which is a bit of a different issue. Master x slave in general are more in common with BDSM relationships then any kind of historical accuracy.

This seems more on par with a white woman wearing a “Native American” costume for Halloween. Which is gross whether or not slavery is involved.

(but yeah romance can be a weird genre from the outside, especially when you get into the more erotica themes )

As much as people who hate on people who like anime annoy me I'm gonna have to blame this on Yoai, from what I can remember they've been doing the sub/dom thing long before Twilight or 50 shades was even a thing but for some reason, it went at up after Killing Stalking became popular which to be fair did come after 50 Shades.
Nah, I've been in the online RP scene for the better part of 25 years, and I can tell you that the Dom/sub thing exploded after that stupid movie came out. Not saying it wasn't a thing beforehand. But man, oh man did it catch fire post-movie.

And I'm not talking about reqs that are posted by peeps with anime fandoms and the like, I mean just very "normal", if not boring, reqs that I wouldn't think to associate with anime at all. Once you get around, you start to notice the "50 shades" angle as it has become so annoyingly common.

Nah, I've been in the online RP scene for the better part of 25 years, and I can tell you that the Dom/sub thing exploded after that stupid movie came out. Not saying it wasn't a thing beforehand. But man, oh man did it catch fire post-movie.

And I'm not talking about reqs that are posted by peeps with anime fandoms and the like, I mean just very "normal", if not boring, reqs that I wouldn't think to associate with anime at all. Once you get around, you start to notice the "50 shades" angle as it has become so annoyingly common.
Maybe I just saw it differently because I really don't give a fuck about 50 Shades of Grey 😆 I mean I've been rolplaying since about 2003 but I'll admit it was mostly anime stuff so maybe I just noticed the anime influence more.

Maybe I just saw it differently because I really don't give a fuck about 50 Shades of Grey 😆 I mean I've been rolplaying since about 2003 but I'll admit it was mostly anime stuff so maybe I just noticed the anime influence more.
I'd like to say I don't give a fuck about it either. But it's been such a negative impact in my RP circles, that I have to give a fuck because it spoiled so much of the direction the community has since taken. The movie was trash, and the book (which was a spinoff twilight fanfic) was even more trash. why people ever thought it was worth mimicking is beyond me.

So back to the topic at hand, and more like a reiteration, any RP talking about Dom/sub or Master/slave dynamics is a toss right into the trash bin for me.
Also, any group setting that's Academy or School based. But I think I've mentioned that before

I'd like to say I don't give a fuck about it either. But it's been such a negative impact in my RP circles, that I have to give a fuck because it spoiled so much of the direction the community has since taken. The movie was trash, and the book (which was a spinoff twilight fanfic) was even more trash. why people ever thought it was worth mimicking is beyond me.
Me either honestly I mean Twilight was trash and you published a fanfic of Twilight? It was called Master of the Universe. I mean come on now.

I guess the reason I didn't car about 50 shades was becasue after Twilight so thoroughly disappointed me there was no way I was about to watch a movie that was basically a kinky rip-off if it. I didn't know Twilight was a book before I saw it and I thought from the trailer it was gonna be lit and it was trash but somehow actually better than the book.

Me either honestly I mean Twilight was trash and you published a fanfic of Twilight? It was called Master of the Universe. I mean come on now.
The only Master of the Universe for me:

ZZ0B86B81C.jpg

Dolph Lundgren

*Tiger growls*

So back to the topic at hand, and more like a reiteration, any RP talking about Dom/sub or Master/slave dynamics is a toss right into the trash bin for me.
Also, any group setting that's Academy or School based. But I think I've mentioned that before
I feel ya on the school-based settings, lol. I spent so much time in education that I can't fathom roleplaying anything LESS exciting.

I feel ya on the school-based settings, lol. I spent so much time in education that I can't fathom roleplaying anything LESS exciting.

In fairness the only place where you receive less education then actual IRL school is fictional school.

My first roleplay was a school RP where it was basically espionage themed pranks by teenagers.

Not a single class was ever mentioned and it was fully the teachers heavily drinking and trying to maim the kids (in a campy way).

I got to say it always amuses me when people are like “I hate school roleplays because school sucked for me”, and I’m like “dude you should love school roleplays then, cuz they have nothing to do with actual school and all about the fun bullshit we daydreamed about doing instead of attending school.”

In fairness the only place where you receive less education then actual IRL school is fictional school.

My first roleplay was a school RP where it was basically espionage themed pranks by teenagers.

Not a single class was ever mentioned and it was fully the teachers heavily drinking and trying to maim the kids (in a campy way).

I got to say it always amuses me when people are like “I hate school roleplays because school sucked for me”, and I’m like “dude you should love school roleplays then, cuz they have nothing to do with actual school and all about the fun bullshit we daydreamed about doing instead of attending school.”
Aside from Harry Potter RPs, I don't think I've seen a single school RP that actually mentioned classes. This applies to university/collage settings as well. Nobody ever RP's the actually going to classes bit.

Aside from Harry Potter RPs, I don't think I've seen a single school RP that actually mentioned classes. This applies to university/collage settings as well. Nobody ever RP's the actually going to classes bit.
yeah cause who wants to rp a normal ass lecture 😭 the appeal of school based rps is just getting up to high school or college shenanigans. i love a good “academic rivals put together on a project” trope

plot twist: you can rp a *teacher* in the lecture!

School setting is not as much of a dealbreaker for me and wouldn't make me leave the thread immediately but if I have a choice, I'd probably pick something more exciting. Unless it's some kind of school setting ghost murder mystery or something.

School didn't actually suck for me, lol. I just think the setting is boring and I try to get as far away from any sense of normalcy as I can when rping. Plus, I'm not at all interested in roleplaying out hormonal teenagers.

School didn't actually suck for me, lol. I just think the setting is boring and I try to get as far away from any sense of normalcy as I can when rping. Plus, I'm not at all interested in roleplaying out hormonal teenagers.

Like I said the setting doesn’t actually have to be at all normal. The roleplay I mentioned was basically super powered teenagers going through mini missions. This ranged from rescue missions, dodging explosives, stealing shit from a highly secure location, etc.

And school isn’t limited to high school. You can do the exact same thing with adults. It’s just adults are usually less willing to play along with the silliness.

Like I said the setting doesn’t actually have to be at all normal. The roleplay I mentioned was basically super powered teenagers going through mini missions. This ranged from rescue missions, dodging explosives, stealing shit from a highly secure location, etc.

And school isn’t limited to high school. You can do the exact same thing with adults. It’s just adults are usually less willing to play along with the silliness.
Look, I realize that, but I just don't like the setting, lol. I don't know how else to explain that it is wholly unappealing to me on a visceral level. I hear 'school,' my interest dies. I get that you enjoy it, good for you! But I am not looking to be convinced.

Look, I realize that, but I just don't like the setting, lol. I don't know how else to explain that it is wholly unappealing to me on a visceral level. I hear 'school,' my interest dies. I get that you enjoy it, good for you! But I am not looking to be convinced.

My point was that a lot of people make the same assumption you do.

School = modern realistic high school

But that is not at all what the genre is. It’s a bit like assuming all dogs are labradors. It’s fine if you don’t like dogs. It’s even fine if you don’t like labradors specifically.

But the fact is not all dogs are labradors, nor are all school roleplays realistic high school setting.

My point was that a lot of people make the same assumption you do.

School = modern realistic high school

But that is not at all what the genre is. It’s a bit like assuming all dogs are labradors. It’s fine if you don’t like dogs. It’s even fine if you don’t like labradors specifically.

But the fact is not all dogs are labradors, nor are all school roleplays realistic high school setting.
School was fine for me as well but I don't care if it's fantasy, science fiction, dystopian, medieval, supernatural, realistic or whatever else type of setting for school roleplays. They just don't do it for me in any capacity.

So the premise of this RP was a romance RP where this girl is best friends with a guy and he is like her perfect ideal partner in every light except for one little problem and since she could never see herself with a man she turns him into a girl and now he has to get used to and accept the fact that she's a girl now against his will and falls in love with his best friend so they can both be lesbians together.
4956d7ff7e62425fd976a3188c745ac4.gif

It's not even necessarily about the "being-in-school" aspect (which yes, would be extremely tedious to write about). I just don't find the scenario of RPing as teens in their high school years to be particularly appealing. I don't even like those "teen movies" or series because I just cant relate to them. Highschool was kindof a shitty time for me. When it didn't suck, it was boring. When it wasn't boring, it was downright stressful. I have no reason to want to get back to that. You can put any kind of spin you want on it, superheroes, wizards, etc. Sill doesn't make it better

Gender Swap. I think this has been mentioned before to an extent about being able to state your romantic preferences without insulting the others. Well, this one is similar in the vein that you can state your romantic preferences without being gross and creepy.

So the premise of this RP was a romance RP where this girl is best friends with a guy and he is like her perfect ideal partner in every light except for one little problem and since she could never see herself with a man she turns him into a girl and now he has to get used to and accept the fact that she's a girl now against his will and falls in love with his best friend so they can both be lesbians together.

Like who the trickle track? No we aren't friends after this, no friend would do this to me and she didn't even ask if he'd want to date her just assumed the only thing standing in their way just had to be because he's a guy , clearly, clearly it's not because I'm a psycho that swaps people's genders on a whim.

This is the one subject where I will say I see more girls being creepy in, because it's always a female that I see making storylines where the person is forced into something they aren't and it's always like straight to gay or male to female...it needs to stop.

I know who you are talking about. And for some reason they got super offended when I was like “so you want me to play a transwoman.”

Because if you take out the disgusting heteronormative body horror it’s actually a genuinely nice love story.

“Person A is a closeted transwoman who one day transitions into their preferred gender due to magical shenanigans on the part of their best friend (might not be the best way to describe it admittedly, I’m not very familiar with the transition process).”

But I can at the very least see where the romance comes in. But the person was adamant it was cisman to ciswoman.

Which is gross on so many different levels.

It's not even necessarily about the "being-in-school" aspect (which yes, would be extremely tedious to write about). I just don't find the scenario of RPing as teens in their high school years to be particularly appealing. I don't even like those "teen movies" or series because I just cant relate to them. Highschool was kindof a shitty time for me. When it didn't suck, it was boring. When it wasn't boring, it was downright stressful. I have no reason to want to get back to that. You can put any kind of spin you want on it, superheroes, wizards, etc. Sill doesn't make it better

Again school isn’t high school. It can also be college or “academy”.

Like hell a military academy where 30 year olds learn to use giant robots to fight space aliens is technically a “school roleplay”.

Which is kinda my point. It’s a pretty broad genre not just “teen shenanigans”.

It’s not like the CW where everything is about teenagers cuz that’s the target demographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back