Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

The whole pairing of a serial killer x victim, cherry on top, romance is involved. O.o I mean why? What's the deal? No...
Yeah there are some pairings I see the appeal of even if I don't like them personally (Bad Boy x Good Girl, Crime Lord x Civilian, Monster of some sort x human) but like... someone who is actively causing you harm or attempting to.....

I just never understood the appeal lmao. I genuinely don't get the appeal of it. Like why would you want to ever be with someone who is actively trying to kill you?

The whole pairing of a serial killer x victim, cherry on top, romance is involved. O.o I mean why? What's the deal? No...
Reeks of stockholm syndrome, unless it's a situation where the victim doesn't realize the other character is a serial killer until they're about to be killed.

Reeks of stockholm syndrome, unless it's a situation where the victim doesn't realize the other character is a serial killer until they're about to be killed.
I've seen instances where the character is made aware of the other character being the serial killer and it's some cat and mouse game of twisted love. Or there's also been the attempted taming of Hannibal Lecter. Because there's nothing like trying romance a lunatic who eats brains.

I've seen instances where the character is made aware of the other character being the serial killer and it's some cat and mouse game of twisted love. Or there's also been the attempted taming of Hannibal Lecter. Because there's nothing like trying romance a lunatic who eats brains.
Yea, that is just...yikes.

Yeah there are some pairings I see the appeal of even if I don't like them personally (Bad Boy x Good Girl, Crime Lord x Civilian, Monster of some sort x human) but like... someone who is actively causing you harm or attempting to.....

I just never understood the appeal lmao. I genuinely don't get the appeal of it. Like why would you want to ever be with someone who is actively trying to kill you?

It’s because they want to “fix” the serial killer. Literally had this happen in the past (it was a character in a fandom who was technically a comic book villain not strictly a serial killer but the same mentality).

And it is very literally “I want to be so special that I change someone’s core personality for the better.”

Its a blatant wish fulfillment no different then the “Not Like Other Girls” trope where the female love interest is a super special super desirable person who gets the male love interests affection despite not outwardly being one of the “popular” girls.

Personally I hate it with a passion specifically because of the “Not Like Other Girls” aspect.

I think it’s a trope that needs to die in a fire because it’s super misogynistic and really gross portrayal of relationships. Like if you need to change someone’s entire personality in order for them to date you then guess what - you don’t actually want to date that person.

You just think their hot. But it’s not like there is only one singular hot guy on the planet. If the current hot guy isn’t your cup of tea then find a different one who is.

(Or ya know write a story about the love interest you want your character to have rather then character assassinate an existing character to fit your agenda)

It’s because they want to “fix” the serial killer. Literally had this happen in the past (it was a character in a fandom who was technically a comic book villain not strictly a serial killer but the same mentality).

And it is very literally “I want to be so special that I change someone’s core personality for the better.”

Its a blatant wish fulfillment no different then the “Not Like Other Girls” trope where the female love interest is a super special super desirable person who gets the male love interests affection despite not outwardly being one of the “popular” girls.

Personally I hate it with a passion specifically because of the “Not Like Other Girls” aspect.

I think it’s a trope that needs to die in a fire because it’s super misogynistic and really gross portrayal of relationships. Like if you need to change someone’s entire personality in order for them to date you then guess what - you don’t actually want to date that person.

You just think their hot. But it’s not like there is only one singular hot guy on the planet. If the current hot guy isn’t your cup of tea then find a different one who is.

(Or ya know write a story about the love interest you want your character to have rather then character assassinate an existing character to fit your agenda)
You know, I don't know why I did not think of this but it makes sense.

I also hate the "Not Like Other Girls" trope I see in many RP characters. I never did it because... what's wrong with being like other girls? You aren't better than other girls because you don't wear make-up, or you don't like dresses and mess with cars. You're not better than anyone else because you have trauma or anything like that. If anyone ever describes their character as "Not Like Other Girls" I almost immediately want to drop them as a partner. Like immediately. Because that usually tells me all I need to know and that I won't like this RP.

9/10 when someone described their character like that they ended up being one of the most insufferable OCs ever.

Melpomene Melpomene I once roleplayed with a “not like other girls” person. She had a combination victim complex and superiority complex. And of course only male friends (well a few older female “friends” too, but I got the impression they were just older versions of her)

And it’s like if everyone you meet is an asshole then you might want to examine your life choices. Because you are not the only nice person on the planet.

And that seems to be such a trend with these characters. Like oh I am the only nice worthy female all other females are bitches. And I’m so persecuted and no one understands me.

It’s like no people understand that your an obnoxious asshole.

Edit :: I remembered what a romance author once said about the trope :: It’s about earning pay off.

Not Like Other Girls fails as a writing tactic not just cuz of the gross IRL implications (it’s hardly the only trope that does that). But because there is no earning of pay offs.

It’s just “this character exists as a perfect specimen and the only person who sees that is the object of their attraction.”

So it’s got the same problem as the Mary Sue. It’s frankly boring to write or read about a character who doesn’t have to grow or doesn’t face any hardships. Especially if the only “hardship” they do face is just self pity. Like a pity party isn’t a character arc.

So even aside from the gross elements it’s just bad writing, unless you acknowledge the character as flawed and work to change that in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
Melpomene Melpomene I once roleplayed with a “not like other girls” person. She had a combination victim complex and superiority complex. And of course only male friends (well a few older female “friends” too, but I got the impression they were just older versions of her)

And it’s like if everyone you meet is an asshole then you might want to examine your life choices. Because you are not the only nice person on the planet.

And that seems to be such a trend with these characters. Like oh I am the only nice worthy female all other females are bitches. And I’m so persecuted and no one understands me.

It’s like no people understand that your an obnoxious asshole.

Edit :: I remembered what a romance author once said about the trope :: It’s about earning pay off.

Not Like Other Girls fails as a writing tactic not just cuz of the gross IRL implications (it’s hardly the only trope that does that). But because there is no earning of pay offs.

It’s just “this character exists as a perfect specimen and the only person who sees that is the object of their attraction.”

So it’s got the same problem as the Mary Sue. It’s frankly boring to write or read about a character who doesn’t have to grow or doesn’t face any hardships. Especially if the only “hardship” they do face is just self pity. Like a pity party isn’t a character arc.

So even aside from the gross elements it’s just bad writing, unless you acknowledge the character as flawed and work to change that in a meaningful way.
Yeah, I roleplayed with someone who definitely fell into this "Not Like Other Girls" narrative and IRL they liked to talk about how we don't need "feminism" lol.

But like you said, the trope doesn't work the same way most self-insert wish fulfillment fantasies don't work - in most of those the author refuses to let the narrative recognize that their character has flaws. Like how Meyer made Bella from Twilight sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread but if you actually look at her objectively, she is a fucking awful friend.

Any character whose "arc" is "everyone else needs to see how great they are" is written like that for both genders and incredibly boring if that isn't the fantasy you want to be fulfilled.

And it is incredibly funny because while the narrative never recognized their flaws, they still have abundantly obvious flaws. One of my partners literally said their character "Didn't like there were people that made my male OC happy because she wanted to be the only one that can do it "

And I was like ... Yikes on a bike girl, no matter what trauma she went through that is a toxic as fuck Mentality to have. But uh... Ya know everyone is supposed to still treat her like she is just a poor darling.

I just have to laugh at that, tbh.

Melpomene Melpomene i agree it’s I think the worst combination of wish fulfillment and self insert.

Like if you wanna pretend your a popular supermodel there is nothing inherently wrong with that. It’s a perfectly common writing tactic and fairly relatable.

For that matter if you wanna pretend you live in a fantasy setting. I mean god knows as a Harry Potter fan I spent most of my childhood wishing I had magical powers. It’s again fairly relatable.

It’s when you turn it to romance and basically make it “I want my crush to like me without me having to do any work or take any risks” that it becomes annoying. Especially when your the one writing the crush.

But even if your just reading it (like Bella with Twilight) like even if your an insecure person or a shy person in real life at a certain point your just like “oh my god stop making everything about you Bella. Your worse then the so called “popular girls”, at least they’re trying to be nice.”

Which I think is where the disconnect comes in. Like I am a shy clumsy nerd. I literally would spent my entire school day with my nose in a book. I talked to maybe five people outside of group assignments.

But I didn’t spend my time being snobby about the popular girls or passive aggressive or anything. I was the weird kid and yeah sometimes my feelings got a little hurt but I never let it make me bitter or bitchy.

Which side note “Shy clumsy nerd” is also a trope that can die in a fire. Like I am literally all those things in real life and I am not some attention seeking egotist who acts like it makes me special. Nor is it a “quirk” I put on to endear me to other people.

Cuz ya wanna know what isn’t actually endearing? Twisting your ankle walking on a flat service. It hurts. Ya wanna know what isn’t some cute quirk you can toss out when it’s not convienent? Social anxiety. And ya wanna know what isn’t some desperate attempt to have a personality? Liking to read (or whatever nerd means to you).

Like oh my god people if you want your character to be quirky try giving them an actual personality first. Not just “oh she falls down teehee and likes to read oh no.” Like congrats you have poor depth perception and your literate. No one cares.

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents

Yeah I hate the qUiRkY part the most, and the lengths they go to victimize themselves. Like they have to simultaneously be the most special and amazing hero of the story but also be like... constantly victimized? Like the only way these people know how to make them somewhat likeable is by having them always be the victim of something.

The most egregious case I had was a partner who:

A. Always wanted her character hurt in some way to essentially hog the narrative spotlight and would then get mad if I ever wanted my character to be in any sort of danger or pain and accuse me of "creating drama and stealing the attention".
And B. Demanded if her character was hurt that everyone essentially stop and go "you poor darling :(" which being that she wanted her character hurt like 24/7 made the RP only that so uh... alongside being "Not Like Other Girls" and a definite Mary Sue made it all the less enjoyable.

But the most egregious thing this partner ever did was try to put race into the mix. She was white. Unmistakably, pale white. Not even white-passing while actually being a POC. Nope. Just white.

And you know what she did? She decided she wanted her white little perfect victim of an OC to have a romantic rivalry with a big ol' mean and violent black girl.

Went on to say said Black girl would beat up her lil white OC cause she was mad that the man picked her and even MORE mad that she was white. And further, said the black girl was going to SA the man later because she was just so obsessed with him and mad that he had chosen a white girl over her.

Now. When I was 17 I was weirded out by that. At 21, as a young black woman, good... GOD.

Talk about victim complex man.

Most of the partners I had, even if they did the "Not Like Other Girls" bullshit at least they kept race out of it. That one... Yeah looking back I feel hate-crimed lol.

Yeah I hate the qUiRkY part the most, and the lengths they go to victimize themselves. Like they have to simultaneously be the most special and amazing hero of the story but also be like... constantly victimized? Like the only way these people know how to make them somewhat likeable is by having them always be the victim of something.

The most egregious case I had was a partner who:

A. Always wanted her character hurt in some way to essentially hog the narrative spotlight and would then get mad if I ever wanted my character to be in any sort of danger or pain and accuse me of "creating drama and stealing the attention".
And B. Demanded if her character was hurt that everyone essentially stop and go "you poor darling :(" which being that she wanted her character hurt like 24/7 made the RP only that so uh... alongside being "Not Like Other Girls" and a definite Mary Sue made it all the less enjoyable.

But the most egregious thing this partner ever did was try to put race into the mix. She was white. Unmistakably, pale white. Not even white-passing while actually being a POC. Nope. Just white.

And you know what she did? She decided she wanted her white little perfect victim of an OC to have a romantic rivalry with a big ol' mean and violent black girl.

Went on to say said Black girl would beat up her lil white OC cause she was mad that the man picked her and even MORE mad that she was white. And further, said the black girl was going to SA the man later because she was just so obsessed with him and mad that he had chosen a white girl over her.

Now. When I was 17 I was weirded out by that. At 21, as a young black woman, good... GOD.

Most of the partners I had, even if they did the "Not Like Other Girls" bullshit at least they kept race out of it. That one... Yeah looking back I feel hate-crimed lol.

Oh yeah it reminds me of people who are like “oh I’m not a homophobe but the idea of two men holding hands makes me want to vomit. On account of it being scandalous sexual conduct of course. Nevermind that straight people can be making out the table over and that’s just good clean fun.”

Some people have a lot of fucked up ideas about people who aren’t exactly like them. It’s why I don’t kick up a fuss when I see “no straight people writing LGBTQ+ pairings or no white people writing POC.”

I don’t necessarily agree but ya deal with enough cringey nonsense and you stop giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I straight leave a roleplay now if someone is “uncomfortable” with LGBTQ themes. Even if my character is straight as a ruler. Cuz I just don’t want to deal with the nonsense.

And if you describe POC in stereotypical terms (without at least acknowledging that they’re stereotypes) then I’m also out.

Like I get it some times your playing a racist asshole character who really thinks the blacks are all watermelon drinking thugs. Or hey maybe your black character just likes watermelon. It’s not the end of the world.

As long as your like “yeah I know it’s a little cringey and I can change it if you don’t like it.”

Oh yeah it reminds me of people who are like “oh I’m not a homophobe but the idea of two men holding hands makes me want to vomit. On account of it being scandalous sexual conduct of course. Nevermind that straight people can be making out the table over and that’s just good clean fun.”

Some people have a lot of fucked up ideas about people who aren’t exactly like them. It’s why I don’t kick up a fuss when I see “no straight people writing LGBTQ+ pairings or no white people writing POC.”

I don’t necessarily agree but ya deal with enough cringey nonsense and you stop giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I straight leave a roleplay now if someone is “uncomfortable” with LGBTQ themes. Even if my character is straight as a ruler. Cuz I just don’t want to deal with the nonsense.

And if you describe POC in stereotypical terms (without at least acknowledging that they’re stereotypes) then I’m also out.

Like I get it some times your playing a racist asshole character who really thinks the blacks are all watermelon drinking thugs. Or hey maybe your black character just likes watermelon. It’s not the end of the world.

As long as your like “yeah I know it’s a little cringey and I can change it if you don’t like it.”
I do understand where you're coming from on this, but if white people are barred from writing POC and straight people are barred from writing LGBTQA+ characters then there's no room to learn and grow. A large part of learning how to write is practice.

I do understand where you're coming from on this, but if white people are barred from writing POC and straight people are barred from writing LGBTQA+ characters then there's no room to learn and grow. A large part of learning how to write is practice.
I've always been of the "As long as you do it respectfully and are open to listening to POC/LGBTQ+ critiques and voices about your depiction then it's fine" camp.

Basically, just don't be an asshole and get upset if POCs/LGBTQ+ give their opinions and critiques on the matter.

I am all for more rep in media after all!

And don't be like the partner I mentioned who essentially brought in the POC to make her white character look better/more delicate because then it really does border on racist.

Other than that, I have no qualms.

I believe your a roleplayer who doesn’t write with minors correct? Well that’s a preference you have for yourself. I don’t think your trying to say “all roleplayers under eighteen are bad and immature and any adult who roleplays with them is a pedophile.”

Your just saying “hey this is a line I draw for my own comfort.”

So people have the same right to be like “I am tired of dealing with racist/homophobic people so I only want to write with POC or LGBTQ+ partners”.

Do I personally think white people can’t write POC? No. But it’s not my business to tell other people they’re preferences are wrong.

Same with LGBTQ+ people who don’t want to deal with homophobic stereotypes.

That is just grounds for an immediate block. I would have blocked her without question. That's just so asinine.

That is just grounds for an immediate block. I would have blocked her without question. That's just so asinine.
Oh definitely. Current 21 yo me would have blocked without question the moment THAT came up. Like what was even the purpose of making things about race? If you wanted romantic rival, fine go for it. But it NEEDED to have that race aspect to it?

It is just so... Mind boggling to think of it again now that she actually thought that was a good idea.

...Some people have a lot of fucked up ideas about people who aren’t exactly like them. It’s why I don’t kick up a fuss when I see “no straight people writing LGBTQ+ pairings or no white people writing POC.”
Imagine though, if people could only write about their own ethnic (or associated sexuality/gender/etc.) demographic, how little literature we'd actually have

And if you describe POC in stereotypical terms (without at least acknowledging that they’re stereotypes) then I’m also out...
Funny thing about stereotypes, Iv'e met so many people that seem to have taken their persona straight out of a stereotype manual. I live in a border town. Lots of Hispanics here. I myself, am mixed race to that end. But boy-oh-boy, some of the folks here do not do themselves any justice from getting away from the racist stereotypes that exist against them.

We also have a decently sized, and pretty well-received, LGBT community in my town. And for the most part no one really gives them any gaff (besides the super mochismo Mexicans). But I swear to fucking god, every other gay male I meet wants to portray themselves as the same flaming diva stereotype. AND they just so happen to be (or aspire to be) a hair dresser or makeup artist or nail tech.

My point is, It's kind of hard not to expect these kinds of stereotypes out of everyone when you see them constantly BE those stereotypes.

As stated above, imagine if a white writer could only write white people in their literature. Or say that white Producers only wrote and cast white people for their TV shows. They'd be accused of being non-inclusive. You can't have both ends of it. Either people should be okay with a writer including characters of differing ethnic groups in their work, or they should stfu about inclusivity in media. Because it can't happen both ways at the same time

Last edited:
[
Imagine though, if people could only write about their own ethnic (or associated sexuality/gender/etc.) demographic, how little literature we'd actually have

Funny thing about stereotypes, Iv'e met so many people that seem to have taken their persona straight out of a stereotype manual. I live in a border town. Lots of Hispanics here. I myself, am mixed race to that end. But boy-oh-boy, some of the folks here do not do themselves any justice from getting away from the racist stereotypes that exist against them.

We also have a decently sized, and pretty well-received, LGBT community in my town. And for the most part no one really gives them any gaff (besides the super mochismo Mexicans). But I swear to fucking god, every other gay male I meet wants to portray themselves as the same flaming diva stereotype. AND they just so happen to be (or aspire to be) a hair dresser or makeup artist or nail tech.

My point is, It's kind of hard not to expect these kinds of stereotypes out of everyone when you see them constantly BE those stereotypes.

As stated above, imagine if a white writer could only write white people in their literature. Or say that white Producers only wrote and cast white people for their TV shows. They'd be accused of being non-inclusive. You can't have both ends of it. Either people should be okay with a writer including characters of differing ethnic groups in their work, or they should stfu about inclusivity in media. Because it can't happen both ways at the same time

Once again I did not say I agreed that white people can only write white characters.

I said people are allowed to have preferences for the type of people they write with, especially if they have suffered harassment or bigotry in the past.

This isn’t #notallwhitepeople. It’s “maybe let’s not force people of color or LGBTQ people to deal with blatant bigotry in a fun pastime”.

Like I don’t know about you but I am not on this site to teach bigots how to act right. I am hear to make up fun alternative stories about unicorn farms or Harry Potter.

While personally I don’t see the point in policing IRL identities. I do understand the exhaustion.

It is draining having to argue with unrepentant bigots over what should be a simple story. For that matter it’s exhausting to constantly have to teach people “this is a harmful stereotype and this is why it’s harmful.”

So yeah if someone is like “I’m done.” Then fair enough.

It’s not an attack on white people to say some white people are bigots. It’s not unreasonable to request you don’t have to deal with a demographic that has shown you nothing but hate and ignorance.

I don’t see people pissing and moaning when it’s like “I don’t roleplay with minors” because we can agree it’s a preference based on experience.

But I guess people of color having bad experiences with white people need to suck it up because their interfering with people learning how to write better.

Funny how kids learning to write better never comes up.

[

Once again I did not say I agreed that white people can only write white characters.

I said people are allowed to have preferences for the type of people they write with, especially if they have suffered harassment or bigotry in the past.

This isn’t #notallwhitepeople. It’s “maybe let’s not force people of color or LGBTQ people to deal with blatant bigotry in a fun pastime”.

Like I don’t know about you but I am not on this site to teach bigots how to act right. I am hear to make up fun alternative stories about unicorn farms or Harry Potter.

While personally I don’t see the point in policing IRL identities. I do understand the exhaustion.

It is draining having to argue with unrepentant bigots over what should be a simple story. For that matter it’s exhausting to constantly have to teach people “this is a harmful stereotype and this is why it’s harmful.”

So yeah if someone is like “I’m done.” Then fair enough.

It’s not an attack on white people to say some white people are bigots. It’s not unreasonable to request you don’t have to deal with a demographic that has shown you nothing but hate and ignorance.

I don’t see people pissing and moaning when it’s like “I don’t roleplay with minors” because we can agree it’s a preference based on experience.

But I guess people of color having bad experiences with white people need to suck it up because their interfering with people learning how to write better.

Funny how kids learning to write better never comes up.
yeah, I want trying to accuse you of anything. Sorry if it came off that way. I quoted you (and Jannah) because you were mentioning the notion of people feeling as such.

To me, the whole idea of barring people from participation in something as free as creative writing of a subject simply because they don't fit the ethnic/gender/sexuality/etc. profile is on par with fascism.

But shitty writing comes in all forms. Whether it be stereotyped characters, cliche archetypes, unbelievable skillsets, choppy/boring dialogue, etc.
I chalk up the aforementioned writers into just another author in the works of (hopefully) trying to better themselves.

But on the subject of young writers, I believe the topic actually HAs come up before. I remember at least a couple of mentions by minors asking why it was that people don't want to write with them. And one of the reasons people cite is literary maturity. So it all kinda comes down to the same notion, inexperience and naivety of subject matter.

Anyhow, I'll stfu now before I veer this convo too off-topic

I can't remember if I've posted here before haha, but a lot of mental health stuff is a no-go for me. I like dark themes but as soon as someone shows up with a character with an eating disorder I am OUT of there. As someone recovering from one myself, I don't want to see people write about all of the unhealthy behaviours I'm trying to stop doing.
Also, characters being able to do stuff they probably wouldn't be able to do? Like, a post-apocalyptic roleplay where out of nowhere, someone knows how to hot wire a car or pick a lock. They have a criminal backstory? Sure, but I'm pretty sure most normal people don't know how to do that? Please educate me if hotwiring cars and lockpicking are normal skills I should know.
my friend from marching band once just casually dropped "oh, if the bathrooms are locked I could lock pick the doors if I had my kit here". that was wild

...characters being able to do stuff they probably wouldn't be able to do? Like, a post-apocalyptic roleplay where out of nowhere, someone knows how to hot wire a car or pick a lock. They have a criminal backstory? Sure, but I'm pretty sure most normal people don't know how to do that? Please educate me if hotwiring cars and lockpicking are normal skills I should know.

my friend from marching band once just casually dropped "oh, if the bathrooms are locked I could lock pick the doors if I had my kit here". that was wild
and hotwiring cars is not really a thing anymore. in older vehicles (early 90's and back), sure. But ever since the key fob was implemented across the board, you pretty much can't hotwire a car any more. Even if you did re-rout the starter directly to the battery power, you still need to have a key to switch on the computer control to the fuel pump in the lock/cylinder selection. Assuming you do the ol' jam-a-screwdriver-into-the-lock-and-cylinder thing, with computer-controlled injectors, you'd just be spinning the starter with no gas going through the pump. And none of this turns on unless you have the chip in the key fob. The car needs to register the chip in very close proximity or the computer doesn't let ANY of this run. So pretty much every car made since the late 2000's isn't able to be "hot-wired" like they did in that bad movie you saw.

Last edited:
But on the subject of young writers, I believe the topic actually HAs come up before. I remember at least a couple of mentions by minors asking why it was that people don't want to write with them. And one of the reasons people cite is literary maturity. So it all kinda comes down to the same notion, inexperience and naivety of subject matter.

Anyhow, I'll stfu now before I veer this convo too off-topic

Actually that’s a misunderstanding that minors tend to have. They tend to assume they aren’t getting partners because of “immaturity” in reality those threads you referenced overwhelmingly prove it’s experience with sexual harassment or fears of parents that prevent some adults writing with minors.

Which is why I referenced it. Because the issue is not nor has it ever been about the minor in question. It isn’t even about minors in the general sense.

It is one of two things ;

1. The person was harassed as a child by an adult and does not want to be put in the same position.

2. They are afraid of parents monitoring the child’s internet and getting upset (I always presume this is also a lived experience they went through).

It’s no different then a woman being like “The last time I roleplayed with a man he stalked he for three months and across three different accounts.” Or someone saying “This person found out I was gay and proceeded to scream at me about religion.”

I think that’s where the misunderstanding is coming in. I am not about the idea that certain people can’t write certain characters.

I am talking about people who have faced real life consequences for some aspect of their identity and thus choose to protect themselves by saying “I will not roleplay with the group that made me feel unsafe or uncomfortable.”

And yeah that may be based on experience with an individual but if that experience reached the point where the Staff should have gotten involved and your real life was affected then I can understand if shaping your opinion going forward.

That’s why I kept clarifying. This is not about whether or not straight or white people can write characters properly. It’s about people being made to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in what should be a hobby.

I am argumentative by nature (as you can no doubt surmise by my history) but not everyone is like me. Some people prefer to avoid conflict for their mental health.

I don’t consider that Fascism because it comes from a place of real lived experience. And is usually something people can aknowledge as a personal issue. Fascists believe their bigotry is “natural” and “biologically correct” way of thinking.

(Sadly have run into fascists in the past and they are a veeeeeery different kettle of fish then who I am talking about.)

So that’s a pro tip for you, if someone can explain why they feel a certain way then they aren’t bigoted they just have a different experience/preference then you. If they can’t explain it (or they just think it’s some kind of natural way of viewing the world) then at best they’re dealing with implicit bias at worse they’re a bigot. Kinda depends on the idea in question.

What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion? Like, you don't even bother asking if they can change their post/character if it involves XYZ.

For me it would be (teen) pregnancy. Not at all a "weird" topic in general, I just don't want to get involved with it at all. It makes me so uncomfortable.

Or someone wanting to write in first-person, rather than third. I want there to be a clear difference between character and author.

Don't fight in the replies, yo. This is all based on personal experiences. To each their own.
Characters that focus too much on building power and becoming the strongest instead of actual development. Crazy...

Actually that’s a misunderstanding that minors tend to have. They tend to assume they aren’t getting partners because of “immaturity” in reality those threads you referenced overwhelmingly prove it’s experience with sexual harassment or fears of parents that prevent some adults writing with minors.

Which is why I referenced it. Because the issue is not nor has it ever been about the minor in question. It isn’t even about minors in the general sense.

It is one of two things ;

1. The person was harassed as a child by an adult and does not want to be put in the same position.

2. They are afraid of parents monitoring the child’s internet and getting upset (I always presume this is also a lived experience they went through).

It’s no different then a woman being like “The last time I roleplayed with a man he stalked he for three months and across three different accounts.” Or someone saying “This person found out I was gay and proceeded to scream at me about religion.”

I think that’s where the misunderstanding is coming in. I am not about the idea that certain people can’t write certain characters.

I am talking about people who have faced real life consequences for some aspect of their identity and thus choose to protect themselves by saying “I will not roleplay with the group that made me feel unsafe or uncomfortable.”

And yeah that may be based on experience with an individual but if that experience reached the point where the Staff should have gotten involved and your real life was affected then I can understand if shaping your opinion going forward.

That’s why I kept clarifying. This is not about whether or not straight or white people can write characters properly. It’s about people being made to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in what should be a hobby.

I am argumentative by nature (as you can no doubt surmise by my history) but not everyone is like me. Some people prefer to avoid conflict for their mental health.

I don’t consider that Fascism because it comes from a place of real lived experience. And is usually something people can aknowledge as a personal issue. Fascists believe their bigotry is “natural” and “biologically correct” way of thinking.

(Sadly have run into fascists in the past and they are a veeeeeery different kettle of fish then who I am talking about.)

So that’s a pro tip for you, if someone can explain why they feel a certain way then they aren’t bigoted they just have a different experience/preference then you. If they can’t explain it (or they just think it’s some kind of natural way of viewing the world) then at best they’re dealing with implicit bias at worse they’re a bigot. Kinda depends on the idea in question.
Personally, I fail to understand or empathize (sympathize?) with the notion that the rambling writings of a stranger on the internet can make someone feel unsafe. It takes things happening irl for me to feel unsafe. And for that... well, I live in Texas, and we have Castle Laws. A much more real worry would be the multple bad neighborhoods I have lived in, and the people my kiddo is exposed to when I go out. Internet goombahs? Pfft. They can wallow in their opinions for all I care. It's never going to make me feel unsafe.

Tbh, I've probably just become very desensitized from all the stuff I've seen and read on the internet ver the years. Especially on adult-oriented sites. Some of the stuff on there is like... woah. But instead of getting bent out of shape over it, the misanthrope in me chalks it up to everyone having their demons, and trying to express themselves in the most non-destructive way.

That being said, if people dont want to participate in an RP (for ANY reason), they dont have to. If the writing got weird, if the subject matter rubs them wrong way, if it gets too cringey or boring, or whatever... people shouldnt have to explain themselves if they want to bow out. I guess to that end, I'm pretty ghost-friendly. Guess I got used to it over the years and I can understand that's just the way it goes.

But to actually get back on topic, one thing that makes me back out of an RP real quick is when the CS and submitted characters seem to have a big focus on their pronouns and gender identiy/sexual orientation. At least, on PG sites. Like, I don't get it. If it's a romance RP, fine. makes sese. But I wouldnt be involved in it in the first place if it was. And since it wouldnt be, I dont understand the need to list it. Our characters arent going to date. they arent going to have sex. So why oh why do I need to know thier orientation? Mention it in their background if its that important. But tagging it as a whole field and then further emphasizing it makes me think that the whole RP is going to get sidelined into a focus on some kind of dating trope.

Now, Dont get me wrong. I have nothing against characters of varying sexual orientation. I have a couple characters myself that are other-than-straight. But unless its on an adult site, that notion pretty much never comes into play and is just briefly mentioned in a sentence or two in their background. Asfar as pronouns. I mean, do we even need to clarify? If you refer to your character as a him in their bio, and then continue to do so in the narrative. Well then your character is a him. Dont underline an obvious redundancy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back