Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Yeah, I mean, just because I’m white and I’m a guy, doesn’t mean that by not wanting racism/homophobia/other forms of bigotry in my games I’m trying to discredit or devalue the struggles marginalized groups do face. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make your stories about those struggles.
As I said it's all personal preference, just like pretty much everything else in this thread is personal preference. For example, to cite my own post I will not write in games with a realistic feel and tone if anime FC's are being used. That just breaks the immersion for me, thus I don't like it. I know to avoid games with players doing that.

As I said it's all personal preference, just like pretty much everything else in this thread is personal preference. For example, to cite my own post I will not write in games with a realistic feel and tone if anime FC's are being used. That just breaks the immersion for me, thus I don't like it. I know to avoid games with players doing that.

Oh, ditto. Totally forgot that one. I like FCs to match the tone of the roleplay. Nothing wrong with anime faceclaims, but I'm not going to like take the tone super seriously if they are being used.

Not about to write the Sopranos or Lord of the Rings with an anime FC.

Oh, ditto. Totally forgot that one. I like FCs to match the tone of the roleplay. Nothing wrong with anime faceclaims, but I'm not going to like take the tone super seriously if they are being used.

Not about to write the Sopranos or Lord of the Rings with an anime FC.
This is literally my exact reasoning. FC's absolutely should match the tone of the RP.

(coming from a lgbtq+ poc) your opinion is your own of course but some of us just want to write lgbtq+/poc characters for the sake of writing lgbtq+/poc characters. it's really not that deep, writing is meant to be fun. get creative, have fun with your worlds. if i want an au where racism/homophobia don't exist, well, isn't it dandy fiction makes that possible

and anyway, i guess (in fictional stories) i care more about preserving culture than historical struggles because isn't that where the beauty lies: in what makes us all so diverse in the first place? why put your characters through irl suffering when you can watch them openly participate in their own culture without the internalised shame caused by white supremacy?
Perfectly valid my man. The point where we differ is you write for fun. I love writing, alright, I am a literature student and I enjoy what I do, so it's not like I don't think writing is "fun" either....it just isn't my main focus. I think words are powerful and I'd like to use them to its potential. I'm not here to have fun, I'm here to tell a story. I'm choosing not to use an excalibur to butter toast is all, but toasts are great with butter so you should enjoy them if you like uwu

it’s… beyond impeccable to me the level of mental gymnastics certain individuals perform to justify bigotry and hatred in creative spaces.

of course, every individual has their own preferences and opinions in regards to genre and writing, but… from the perspective as a queer, black femme in the southern united states, i do not want my media and “representation” to be in the form of suffering. these pains are real, everyday occurrences for myself and so many like me, and admittedly, it gets exhausting having to see trauma movies and literature as your dominating form of media, and systemic struggles being the primary form of conflict in EVERY plot and genre where a poc is involved.

in regards to playing outside your race? this is, of course, solely my opinion, but i don’t feel anyone should incorporate bigotry, stereotypes, and struggles towards a race that isn’t mine, nor can i imagine condoling characters (even if they’re meant to be antagonists) that are racist, homophobic, etc. if, say, you possess a latine character who has biases toward the lgbtq+ community. if you are cishet, i can’t help but side eye you feeling comfortable playing that character, never mind well? it’s like an actor plays a bigot a little too well—i’m a little suspicious!

anyway, i personally am not a big enemy-to-lovers or sci-fi guy—i don’t even tend to click on them. something about them i just can’t get into.

hope you all are having a safe and fun holiday season!

... Can we not get into the 'Think of the children!' stuff? You know, 'Oh my lord, they be killing people in video games, surely must mean they about to kill people in real life!' stuff? Like, people who roleplay a character that is racist, whatever their reason, must surely be racist themselves? Really? there is no reason to have two groups throwing ad hominem at each other while giving their own groups pats on the back with hearts [This is to both sides here].

I am currently in a roleplay where I play an evil cult that has their central doctrine based around harming others, yet I am not skulking the streets at night murdering people.

Right and wrong way to have discussions, if this is to be talked about more, in-depth, then try to refrain from insulting other users. Nothing is accomplished through stuff like that. Be civil. Be open to discussion. Be willing to listen even if you don't agree. Diverse site with diverse opinions and view points, that's a good thing. An echo chamber is of no use to anyone besides those who like their own voices.

I'm just baffled about how others feel a need to police the writing preferences of others. If people want to include evil racist characters in their stories then that's nobody else's business really. As long as all participants in the RP are comfortable with it then I don't see the issue as long as said themes are not being glorified or anything.
they’re not really policing your preferences, but i think a huge thing to note is that for many of us, rpn and roleplaying in general is a form of escape from the circumstances of our lives and the real world. we live vicariously by writing for our characters and enjoy it. for many of the poc and lgbtq writers on this site, racism and bigotry are common experiences that add onto the stress of our real lives. to then experience it virtually just takes away the joy and escapism of rping.
and it’s true, people can include evil characters but there is a difference between npcs and characters deliberately written and created by someone. characters can be plenty evil without bigotry tacked on to them, and it’s a bit impossible to NOT glorify the themes of your bigoted character when you have made them one of the central characters.

anyways, keeping on topic with the thread! miss me with any roleplay that has huge age differences or no romance in it. i prefer all the characters to be very similar in age as it makes forming relationships easier and more plausible. i’m also just a sucker for romance so while I’m okay with MY character not having any, I’d like to see it somewhere yknow?

they’re not really policing your preferences, but i think a huge thing to note is that for many of us, rpn and roleplaying in general is a form of escape from the circumstances of our lives and the real world. we live vicariously by writing for our characters and enjoy it. for many of the poc and lgbtq writers on this site, racism and bigotry are common experiences that add onto the stress of our real lives. to then experience it virtually just takes away the joy and escapism of rping.
and it’s true, people can include evil characters but there is a difference between npcs and characters deliberately written and created by someone. characters can be plenty evil without bigotry tacked on to them, and it’s a bit impossible to NOT glorify the themes of your bigoted character when you have made them one of the central characters.

anyways, keeping on topic with the thread! miss me with any roleplay that has huge age differences or no romance in it. i prefer all the characters to be very similar in age as it makes forming relationships easier and more plausible. i’m also just a sucker for romance so while I’m okay with MY character not having any, I’d like to see it somewhere yknow?
And people who are affected by racism and other forms of bigotry are not being forced to participate in RP's that happen to include those themes.

... Can we not get into the 'Think of the children!' stuff? You know, 'Oh my lord, they be killing people in video games, surely must mean they about to kill people in real life!' stuff? Like, people who roleplay a character that is racist, whatever their reason, must surely be racist themselves? Really? there is no reason to have two groups throwing ad hominem at each other while giving their own groups pats on the back with hearts [This is to both sides here].

I am currently in a roleplay where I play an evil cult that has their central doctrine based around harming others, yet I am not skulking the streets at night murdering people.

Right and wrong way to have discussions, if this is to be talked about more, in-depth, then try to refrain from insulting other users. Nothing is accomplished through stuff like that. Be civil. Be open to discussion. Be willing to listen even if you don't agree. Diverse site with diverse opinions and view points, that's a good thing. An echo chamber is of no use to anyone besides those who like their own voices.
hey! i really don’t wanna like, get into any kind of civil or moral debate here, but i am genuinely curious about a couple of your points here. would you care to dm and have a small discussion, especially to avoid an “echo chamber”?

i will leave this note, and end my part here for the night: always listen to the voice of the party you’re portraying. and remain open-eared and respectful instead of defensive. if a group of a community is telling you something makes them hesitant, why fight? instead of asking “well why not,” or “let’s be more sensitive,” be introspective. have a good one!

I feel the need to put in my two cents real quick:

As a bisexual black woman, I actually do like exploring themes such as hatred, bigotry and the effects of racism on poc bodies. I am a huge fan of exploring darker more taboo themes in my writing and getting a better understanding of the human condition. tbf I am also a filthy pretentious lit major and we like to make everyone's lives harder.

With that being said: I completely understand not wanting to roleplay with something you have had to deal with all your life. It is why I tend to shy away from plots that deal with SA very explicitly because that brings up uncomfortable memories for me so I tend to avoid anyone who does that. So, I think avoiding this shit when you are trying to unwind and relax is completely valid. Honestly no one should be made to feel uncomfortable in their hobby.

But I also understand people, such as myself, who like to explore these themes.

Idk, thought I would add my opinion into the mix. Not trying to stir the flames or anything.

Back on topic: I tend to nope away when I see bbcode I cannot for the life of me read. I am blind as hecc people, please have mercy on my eyes.

Cosmo Cosmo while i get what you mean, i don't think that's the point everybody was making. i understand you're not racist irl for having a racist character - but tbh i don't think that can be compared to making an evil fictional cult. racism is something people face everyday, something that affects our entire society. nobody thinks thomas harris is a serial killer for writing hannibal lecter - and nobody thinks you're racist irl for making a racist villain. what people have a problem with, if i can explain it well, is how it's treated and defended.

an evil cult killing people is a real thing, sure, but not as terribly close too everyday life as experiencing racism.

for example, a villain can be sympathetic because they had to kill/etc for survival. a racist villain should not be sympathized in such a way - because they can't show the bare humanity and do the same for poc.

Jannah Jannah you're free to use racism in your roleplays, just as we are free to not agree with it. i don't think anybody is going to censor you or attack you for it, but we are just stating why it makes us uncomfortable.

also - i hope you two don't see this as a personal attack. i really just wanna explain why we feel the way we do and why we're passionate about it. thanks for hearing me out!

answering the prompt: this is kinda specific and i haven't seen it in a while or even on rpn but

fandom rps where someone plays a canon character! at first i liked it, but then it got kinda weird and limited creativity. like i get having hermoine as an npc in a hogwarts rp as a fun easter egg, but someone playing out hermoine can break my immersion. idk maybe I've just never seen it done well? i hope i explained this correctly 😭

I feel the need to put in my two cents real quick:

As a bisexual black woman, I actually do like exploring themes such as hatred, bigotry and the effects of racism on poc bodies. I am a huge fan of exploring darker more taboo themes in my writing and getting a better understanding of the human condition. tbf I am also a filthy pretentious lit major and we like to make everyone's lives harder.

With that being said: I completely understand not wanting to roleplay with something you have had to deal with all your life. It is why I tend to shy away from plots that deal with SA very explicitly because that brings up uncomfortable memories for me so I tend to avoid anyone who does that. So, I think avoiding this shit when you are trying to unwind and relax is completely valid. Honestly no one should be made to feel uncomfortable in their hobby.

But I also understand people, such as myself, who like to explore these themes.

Idk, thought I would add my opinion into the mix. Not trying to stir the flames or anything.

Back on topic: I tend to nope away when I see bbcode I cannot for the life of me read. I am blind as hecc people, please have mercy on my eyes.
Yep. It can be genuinely fascinating to explore those themes. I hate how it's automatically assumed that those exploring those themes must be condoning those behaviors.

Cosmo Cosmo while i get what you mean, i don't think that's the point everybody was making. i understand you're not racist irl for having a racist character - but tbh i don't think that can be compared to making an evil fictional cult. racism is something people face everyday, something that affects our entire society. nobody thinks thomas harris is a serial killer for writing hannibal lecter - and nobody thinks you're racist irl for making a racist villain. what people have a problem with, if i can explain it well, is how it's treated and defended.

an evil cult killing people is a real thing, sure, but not as terribly close too everyday life as experiencing racism.

for example, a villain can be sympathetic because they had to kill/etc for survival. a racist villain should not be sympathized in such a way - because they can't show the bare humanity and do the same for poc.

Jannah Jannah you're free to use racism in your roleplays, just as we are free to not agree with it. i don't think anybody is going to censor you or attack you for it, but we are just stating why it makes us uncomfortable.

also - i hope you two don't see this as a personal attack. i really just wanna explain why we feel the way we do and why we're passionate about it. thanks for hearing me out!

I should clarify again that any bigoted characters I write are not portrayed in a sympathetic light. They are not characters that the other players and readers are supposed to sympathize with. The one exception is characters who are intended to question their bigoted beliefs over the course of the story. In cases like that often it's a case of them overcoming brainwashing, which makes for great drama and character development.

Also, I don't think you were personally attacking me, but I do find it a little infuriating how some are assuming I must be racist because I have written these types of characters.

It is not about what, specifically, is being used. It's the exact same thing that has happened every time such things get brought up. 'Because they do X in fantasy world Y, they, themselves, must clearly be X.'

I brought up something I was doing, right now. I've played horrible people in roleplays before, it doesn't mean I've ever done them or would want to do what they've done. Anyone who enters a roleplay with Greek Gods, I don't assume is condoning the horrid stuff they've done in mythology just because they want to roll around as Zeus.

That wasn't the issue I had. I think you are mistaking me for a pro-racist character debater [Wow, that was a weird phrase to write], when I have never argued for, or against, the point. Just like I stepped in because I did not like the insinuation that someone was a 'race traitor' for not wanting to write about racism and the struggles against it, I stepped in when I saw someone was insinuating that anyone who plays bigoted characters is probably a bigot themselves. Both of those are not debates. They are not points. They are insults. Neither is okay. Regardless of what side it comes from.

You say people shouldn't glorify racism. They shouldn't. They shouldn't glorify murder either. The intention of the writer matters. Just as it does for everything. That isn't what I have debated nor a stance I am against.

Yep. It can be genuinely fascinating to explore those themes. I hate how it's automatically assumed that those exploring those themes must be condoning those behaviors.
I just want to say we’ve all been making it clear that we understand no one who does this is explicitly OR implicitly racist. we understand you’re not condoning them but it is also unreasonable to expect users on the site to just drop a roleplay because you or someone else chose to create a character that unsettles them. dark themes definitely add much needed spice to roleplays if the people involved are mature or comfortable enough to handle them; I just think when making characters like that, you need to consider that roleplaying is a COLLABORATIVE group or partner activity. you can’t expect everyone to just be okay with it and willing to drop something they’re interested in at a moment’s notice.

anyways, another thing that makes me drop immediately are medieval roleplays. when i was younger i was super into them, but nowadays they’re super basic and often not fleshed out. it takes a lot of lore and refinement to run one well, and I don’t see that nowadays.

I just want to say we’ve all been making it clear that we understand no one who does this is explicitly OR implicitly racist. we understand you’re not condoning them but it is also unreasonable to expect users on the site to just drop a roleplay because you or someone else chose to create a character that unsettles them. dark themes definitely add much needed spice to roleplays if the people involved are mature or comfortable enough to handle them; I just think when making characters like that, you need to consider that roleplaying is a COLLABORATIVE group or partner activity. you can’t expect everyone to just be okay with it and willing to drop something they’re interested in at a moment’s notice.

anyways, another thing that makes me drop immediately are medieval roleplays. when i was younger i was super into them, but nowadays they’re super basic and often not fleshed out. it takes a lot of lore and refinement to run one well, and I don’t see that nowadays.
Well, I make it very clear in my interest checks that I'm interested in exploring dark and/or sensitive themes. People who try to RP with me only to drop later on probably didn't read in full :/

now see I understand and appreciate the whole “be kind to one another” shtick but as people from minority communities, hopefully you can understand why this is something very important to us- at least for me.
Also, I would like to add that virtually no one said anything to the degree of “think of the children!” :)

moreover, I think that this is one of those subjects that simply is not debatable nor comparable and it is in fact insulting to see someone downplay it (although I’ve witnessed many similar accounts be dismissed here ngl 🚶💨) . It’s human rights, not a pancakes vs waffles situation. And so, when it comes to the portrayal of human rights and the many injustices, traumas both historical and current, you have to approach- that is if you approach- with sympathy, decency. judging someone for not wanting to partake in something so traumatic or sensitive is just as bad as judging for someone for wanting to. That’s what I’m getting at. Moreover, there’s a certain level of respect owed to such topics and it appears at some point in times, that users who write the stories utilize the pain merely for plot, not for homage, not for representation but for the - forgive me for the lack of better word- but the angst of it all. And I for one, do not agree with that.
However, I do apologize if I offended anyone with my earlier comment, but like most people here I was shocked and in a state of frenzy.

also, may I add that no one is asking for someone to advocate for both sides or maintain the peace? I understand that there are some trying to help but in some cases, when it gets as personal as race or racism- even fictional,,,,, it looks like someone’s trying to tame a fire with a water bottle if yknow what I mean. These topics are difficult and having these discussions are meant to be difficult, in fact I view it as a positive that we’re even having one in the first place.

Also on the topic of most hated tropes/scenes
I’m sorry I can’t stand sci-if or anything to do with aliens or outer space, I get bored very easily
🚶💨

Ngl, I do get a little suspicious when people are fiercely protective of their right to rp racist characters. Like... what's the appeal, lol. I mean, I do play a lot of dark content (my newest venture is mainly about religious cannibalism) but I don't really get the appeal of delving into a racist's mind. As a white person, it would make me IMMENSELY uncomfortable because racism is real in a way more fantastical forms of violence aren't.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I also don't do m/f rps. Just, no.

hello! fellow english literature major here!

i think we all know that writing exists outside of RPing. however, this an RP site. and this thread is about RP tropes/topics. it is safe to say that people will naturally handle their RPing differently than they would handle literary fiction. even then, a lot of literary fiction is critiqued for the mishandling of these sorts of issues. heart of darkness? to kill a mockingbird? gone with the wind? from a literary standpoint, it is not unreasonable for people to be wary of this sort of thing.

condescending to people doesn't help any point that you may be attempting to make :closedeyessmile: we are all readers and writers here.
And that's the point some of us are trying to make: that there's nothing wrong with portraying these themes as long as they're handled with care.

now see I understand and appreciate the whole “be kind to one another” shtick but as people from minority communities, hopefully you can understand why this is something very important to us- at least for me.
Also, I would like to add that virtually no one said anything to the degree of “think of the children!” :)

moreover, I think that this is one of those subjects that simply is not debatable nor comparable and it is in fact insulting to see someone downplay it (although I’ve witnessed many similar accounts be dismissed here ngl 🚶💨) . It’s human rights, not a pancakes vs waffles situation. And so, when it comes to the portrayal of human rights and the many injustices, traumas both historical and current, you have to approach- that is if you approach- with sympathy, decency. judging someone for not wanting to partake in something so traumatic or sensitive is just as bad as judging for someone for wanting to. That’s what I’m getting at. Moreover, there’s a certain level of respect owed to such topics and it appears at some point in times, that users who write the stories utilize the pain merely for plot, not for homage, not for representation but for the - forgive me for the lack of better word- but the angst of it all. And I for one, do not agree with that.
However, I do apologize if I offended anyone with my earlier comment, but like most people here I was shocked and in a state of frenzy.

also, may I add that no one is asking for someone to advocate for both sides or maintain the peace? I understand that there are some trying to help but in some cases, when it gets as personal as race or racism- even fictional,,,,, it looks like someone’s trying to tame a fire with a water bottle if yknow what I mean. These topics are difficult and having these discussions are meant to be difficult, in fact I view it as a positive that we’re even having one

Also on the topic of most hated tropes/scenes
I’m sorry I can’t stand sci-if or anything to do with aliens or outer space, I get bored very easily
🚶💨

'Think of the children' is a line of debate often used by certain interest groups when they need a good scapegoat for an issue, like video games perpetuating violence. It is not a phrase that needs to be said to apply. 'These kids murder people in GTA, means they are going to turn into murders in real life,' or 'These people played bigoted roles in movies or roleplays, they must be bigoted themselves'. Not only is it a faulty line of logic but when used against someone, it is a personal attack.

I think you are confusing me with someone else here. I do not think people should or should not roleplay bigotry. I do not think people 'have' to be as historical as possible or do a disservice to those that came before or are suffering now. I do not think people should have to do things they are not comfortable with just because someone else thinks it is important they do. If you want my own 'stake' in this, the most bigoted a character I've ever played was the standard Lord of the Ring dwarf who didn't like elves. Playing a racist character has never interested me. I write as a hobby, it's fun, I enjoy it. I write what I want to write, and a racist character just never appealed to me. That said, not about to imply anyone who has is a bigot either.

The respect owed is not just to topics, but to each other, as human beings, with opinions and feelings on the matter. I was shocked by the frenzy from both sides. Thought side A got crazy and said they should step it back. Side B got crazy and said they should step it back.

If a water bottle is all I have then that is what I am going to use. If that water bottle helps keep people from pulling embers out of the fire and throwing it at each other instead of talking, then, well, so be it.

hello! fellow english literature major here!

i think we all know that writing exists outside of RPing. however, this an RP site. and this thread is about RP tropes/topics. it is safe to say that people will naturally handle their RPing differently than they would handle literary fiction. even then, a lot of literary fiction is critiqued for the mishandling of these sorts of issues. heart of darkness? to kill a mockingbird? gone with the wind? from a literary standpoint, it is not unreasonable for people to be wary of this sort of thing.

condescending to people doesn't help any point that you may be attempting to make :closedeyessmile: we are all readers and writers here.
Oh my god thank you. Not going to lie I am a biiit pissed over here so to hear someone who isn't just calling me racist and white is a blessing. Bless you stranger. I was not trying to be condescending. I acknowledge that it is fine if you want to write for fun, it is fine if you want to escape, it is FINE if you want to write something light-hearted and not touch on realistic topics. But is it so hard to just not let me do my thing? I like social commentaries, I like humanism values in my writing. If you don't that's fine, go find your own flock I'll find mine. But cmon guys.

I think a thing to mention here is as rp is a different medium than like, literature. Having bigoted npcs or characters in a story is one thing, but the main character one rps as is going to be sympathized with just bc that's how the medium works in most case, which is part of why people are this wary about it. This is a thread about roleplaying, so opinions on portrayals of racism in literature aren't that relevant.

Also it's just literally not comparable to talk about idk serial killer cult leaders or like, greek gods?? when discussing real world racism and bigotry. They're not equivalent, there's no helpful comparison to be made. And I do think a lot of the defense towards writing bigotry comes of a little callous towards the topic.

I think a thing to mention here is as rp is a different medium than like, literature. Having bigoted npcs or characters in a story is one thing, but the main character one rps as is going to be sympathized with just bc that's how the medium works in most case, which is part of why people are this wary about it. This is a thread about roleplaying, so opinions on portrayals of racism in literature aren't that relevant.

Also it's just literally not comparable to talk about idk serial killer cult leaders or like, greek gods?? when discussing real world racism and bigotry. They're not equivalent, there's no helpful comparison to be made. And I do think a lot of the defense towards writing bigotry comes of a little callous towards the topic.
To me RP and literature are practically one and the same. I consider RP to be collaborative storytelling and I like stories that offer social commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back