Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

I have a few. Not because of triggers per se, but just because I find the themes gross and/or problematic, or I'm just not interested in that particular theme.

-TeacherxStudent, BossxEmployee, and any other relationship pairings with a power imbalance.
-Anything that involves incest actually being played out (incest as part of a character backstory is fine)
-Anime FC's in a realistic RP
-basically furry anything
-Fandom anything using canon characters (I'll only do OCxOC)
-Male pregnancy. Nope, just nope.
-Romance centric RP's where the writer is only seeking characters that fit specific personality molds
-Combat centric RP's where everyone wants to be super powerful right from the start
-Modern realistic slice of life (there needs to be more to it in order to keep my interest)

Something I’ve encountered:

People being condescending to my character. Not characters being condescending, but actual people. Writers.

It’s the worst feeling in the world tbh

People who ask for a specific IRL gender for their partner. It creeps me out when I see someone be like “I am an IRL cis man and you must be an IRL cis woman.”

Racism. I don't care how it is attached to anything historical by means of making it realistic or whatever to justify it but I think it's bullshit and want nothing to do with it.

When people try to write diversity but omits p.o.c/lgbt/any minority related struggles in accordance to their circumstance (especially historical) because they would like to fake moral superiority by turning a blind eye towards people's fight. I'd like to believe that minority get to where they (or rather we, as a member of LGBTQIA+ as well as a P.O.C) because of the fight that have happened, and still is happening. To remove that is to remove diversity.

When people try to write diversity but omits p.o.c/lgbt/any minority related struggles in accordance to their circumstance (especially historical) because they would like to fake moral superiority by turning a blind eye towards people's fight. I'd like to believe that minority get to where they (or rather we, as a member of LGBTQIA+ as well as a P.O.C) because of the fight that have happened, and still is happening. To remove that is to remove diversity.
This can be tricky since I have seen it said many times that a person who is not part of a particular oppressed group should not be trying to write the struggles of said oppressed group.

I have no idea whether you are responding to what I said or making your own point, if I am wrong I apologize.

I think people should just write characters rather than focusing on the struggles. That does not define or make up a person/character. That being said I am not making light of the social and racial discrimination that people face everyday. All I'm saying is that we write to have fun and to escape the real world so why add those things into this setting? That's just my opinion though.

This can be tricky since I have seen it said many times that a person who is not part of a particular oppressed group should not be trying to write the struggles of said oppressed group.

First and foremost, I agree. The minority story belongs to minority and it is theirs to tell. However, I believe this case is a bit tricky, like you said, because there are some instances where I believe it can be acceptable. The key is being wise and considerate. You are acknowledging what have happened and not turning a blind eye. Turning a blind eye as a white person means you are condoning false past behaviors, and as a p.o.c...why would you? Shame on you, that is our history erased just so some people can sleep better at night. Of course it goes without saying that you should NEVER appropriate said culture as yours if it does not belong to you, that I of course agree with, but you know...the media have portrayed these matters so shittily for so damn long. Personally I would appreciate people who can help spread awareness, whether it is their cause or not (I think that would be very cool of you (: ).

The key is still consideration and being wise. If you are bold enough to write about minorities, I thank you. We need that. But if you're scared of falsely representing, then I'd rather you not pretend the struggles that got us where we are to never have existed, thank you.

I have no idea whether you are responding to what I said or making your own point, if I am wrong I apologize.
I think people should just write characters rather than focusing on the struggles. That does not define or make up a person/character. That being said I am not making light of the social and racial discrimination that people face everyday. All I'm saying is that we write to have fun and to escape the real world so why add those things into this setting? That's just my opinion though.

Yes, I was aiming it at you, to be honest. Before anything, I would like to point out that if what you meant by that post "you can't use historical accuracy as an excuse for you, the writer, to be racist" I 100% agree. But seems like your clarification makes it clear that this was not what you're talking about, is it?

I agree that writing a character should be focused on their character themselves, of course, that is true. But what you are overlooking is the fact that struggles, especially in historical setting, makes a big part of a minority character. Yes, character A is a smart, talented woman who likes music and afternoon strolls. But she is also whipped for simply looking at a white man wrong and that morning? Her husband was killed under falsely justified brutality.

Look. I don't blame you for writing as an escape. I personally view literature as not an escape, but an extension to reality. But you do you, I do I. But to say that writing racism is bullshit, you are flaunting your faux moral superiority. You are not being kind doing so, you are discrediting minority struggles. But if you're just having fun, I can accept that. Sometimes I too like to be racist behind closed doors, amirite. Just say you want to have a good night's rest instead of coming at us minorities who would just like to tell our damn stories.

My opinion, of course.

First and foremost, I agree. The minority story belongs to minority and it is theirs to tell. However, I believe this case is a bit tricky, like you said, because there are some instances where I believe it can be acceptable. The key is being wise and considerate. You are acknowledging what have happened and not turning a blind eye. Turning a blind eye as a white person means you are condoning false past behaviors, and as a p.o.c...why would you? Shame on you, that is our history erased just so some people can sleep better at night. Of course it goes without saying that you should NEVER appropriate said culture as yours if it does not belong to you, that I of course agree with, but you know...the media have portrayed these matters so shittily for so damn long. Personally I would appreciate people who can help spread awareness, whether it is their cause or not (I think that would be very cool of you (: ).

The key is still consideration and being wise. If you are bold enough to write about minorities, I thank you. We need that. But if you're scared of falsely representing, then I'd rather you not pretend the struggles that got us where we are to never have existed, thank you.

Yes, I was aiming it at you, to be honest. Before anything, I would like to point out that if what you meant by that post "you can't use historical accuracy as an excuse for you, the writer, to be racist" I 100% agree. But seems like your clarification makes it clear that this was not what you're talking about, is it?

I agree that writing a character should be focused on their character themselves, of course, that is true. But what you are overlooking is the fact that struggles, especially in historical setting, makes a big part of a minority character. Yes, character A is a smart, talented woman who likes music and afternoon strolls. But she is also whipped for simply looking at a white man wrong and that morning? Her husband was killed under falsely justified brutality.

Look. I don't blame you for writing as an escape. I personally view literature as not an escape, but an extension to reality. But you do you, I do I. But to say that writing racism is bullshit, you are flaunting your faux moral superiority. You are not being kind doing so, you are discrediting minority struggles. But if you're just having fun, I can accept that. Sometimes I too like to be racist behind closed doors, amirite. Just say you want to have a good night's rest instead of coming at us minorities who would just like to tell our damn stories.

My opinion, of course.
But of course it is your opinion, which you are entitled to. Rather than be passive aggressive you should have quoted my message or sent me a PM instead of trying to be ambiguous. Let me stop you right there. It was rather rude of you to assume that what I said meant that I myself am not a minority because I am. I am a black woman.

I do not and will not apologize for what I said. I am not discrediting the struggles I have and other people continue to go through to this day. Writing racism is bullshit, I will say it again and no one has to agree with me, I honestly don't care. I don't want to write a story about having characters be whipped or called derogatory terms, the latter of which I have been called so why am I going to sit down and have that be something I want to convey when the characters I create and write are not their struggles. I am going to continue to do me lol and write to my heart's content. So before you talk about someone having some fake moral superiority, maybe you should know what you are talking about first and not jump to conclusions that because someone says something you don't agree with that means they have not gone through struggles you have as well. Now, if you have something else to say to me I would appreciate a PM. This topic is not a place to air grievances of whether or not you don't agree with someone else's opinion.

Speaking as someone who primarily writes in the historical fiction genre I will say that I won't shy away from the darker and grittier themes like racism and other forms of discrimination. It's inherently part of the past and should not be erased, especially since many of the struggles related to it are still ongoing today. I think context is key. I have written racist and homophobic characters, but it fit within the context of the societies they lived in. They were not exactly portrayed as being outstanding individuals or protagonists either. They were awful and it showed through their words and actions. I think most of the problems in portraying these themes would stem from someone trying to paint these types of people as good and pure. About the closest I have come to that is a Nazi character beginning to question Nazi ideals due to befriending those hated by the regime. I think stories about personal transformation through the challenging of one's strongly held beliefs can be quite fun to write.

I have my preferences, like everyone. I like third person, but someone doing first person isn't going to make me up and leave. Lot of things will make me roll my eyes, you know, standard stuff; thirsty writing, over abundance of gore, this character is clearly a child but is totally a 3,000 year old dragon stuff, and the like, but you have to really cross the line before I up and leave. Hard to say where the 'line' is, it's a 'know it when you see it' thing, but I like to think it is before 'this is the equivalent of a snuff film in roleplay form'.

I'm not a big anthropomorphic person. Just not a subject I'm interested especially in its more sexualized forms, so I hard pass on those. Not that there is anything wrong with people that enjoy that, but it is not for me. Even more 'mainstream' things don't always appeal to me. Like I have always had zero desire to roleplay pirates. Just never something I've been all that interested in despite really enjoying the Age of Sails from a historical standpoint. I avoid roleplays that use canon characters, as I don't believe I could play them as 'true' to what they are and what I like about them is them, I have no real desire to add my own spin onto them and it is also for this reason that I've never had an interest in multiverse stuff.

What else, what else... I don't really like Mecha. Not really been something I've been interested in.

But yeah, it is more genres I avoid rather then certain people. Although, like everyone, I have a 'know it when I see it' meter for certain roleplayers, behaviors, etc.

My opinion, of course.

I get this may be a hot issue for you and you are close to this, but being passive aggressive, and outright insulting at some points, isn't the way to go about it. Take a few steps back and cool your head. You are doing more harm then good because of how you are presenting yourself and your point of view on the issue. Assuming someone's culture and race or pre-emptively attempting to shame them if they are not that by insinuating they are some kind of 'race traitor' is not the way to go about... anything. Ever.

There are right and wrong ways to have a discussion. This is the wrong way.

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who primarily writes in the historical fiction genre I will say that I won't shy away from the darker and grittier themes like racism and other forms of discrimination. It's inherently part of the past and should not be erased, especially since many of the struggles related to it are still ongoing today. I think context is key. I have written racist and homophobic characters, but it fit within the context of the societies they lived in. They were not exactly portrayed as being outstanding individuals or protagonists either. They were awful and it showed through their words and actions. I think most of the problems in portraying these themes would stem from someone trying to paint these types of people as good and pure. About the closest I have come to that is a Nazi character beginning to question Nazi ideals due to befriending those hated by the regime. I think stories about personal transformation through the challenging of one's strongly held beliefs can be quite fun to write.
I've actually stumbled upon one of your threads before, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The way you write your character is not like how many does in this site, and I will say 100% for the better. I am a fan of historical fiction myself, so I get it. But daaaamn that Nazi character? God write a book about that. I totally agree with the whole people trying to paint characters as pure etc, but...yeah. You get it haha. And of course, context is indeed key. Don't want people to use fiction as excuse to, well, being racist themselves. Separate the action of depicting and actually believing I guess uwu

I get this may be a hot issue for you and you are close to this, but being passive aggressive, and outright insulting at some points, isn't the way to go about it. Take a few steps back and cool your head. You are doing more harm then good because of how you are presenting yourself and your point of view on the issue. Assuming someone's culture and race or pre-emptively attempting to shame them if they are not that by insinuated they are some kind of 'race traitor' is not the way to go about... anything. Ever.

There are right and wrong ways to have a discussion. This is the wrong way.

Thank you for saying this nicely. I agree I might have gotten a bit too...hot-headed over there. I apologize. But I need to clarify I did not assume their culture and race, because as I quote myself:

Turning a blind eye as a white person means you are condoning false past behaviors, and as a p.o.c...why would you? Shame on you, that is our history erased just so some people can sleep better at night.

Basically all I'm saying is that while it is okay to write just for fun, it's okay to want to avoid this topic entirely, putting down others who just want to tell a story and spread minority struggle awareness is just- if we're using each other's words here- plain bullshit. I don't care if you're black, white, or green.

P.S. I do agree with Hootle's one single point though, that this shouldn't flood the thread. This will be the last time I answer regarding this matter here.

I think this is a misunderstanding of rpnation's mechanics than what any of you two have done. There is no banning here as Ignore is the closest thing to it. It may be possible that restrictions were set in place beforehand for who was allowed to participate in or start a conversation thread on one or both of your settings.

Anyway, back on topic. XD

I don't really have a hardcore "nope" and more like a possible "yeeting" of myself out if someone doesn't have a similar level of enthusiasm I have for not only their characters, but the plot they are wanting for a character. If someone wants to make a search thread and I get curious, I hope they have a direction for their character. Otherwise, them riding the wave of whatever I throw at them will only work in a group setting or the correct partner, and I'm not that person for them.

I think this is a misunderstanding of rpnation's mechanics than what any of you two have done. There is no banning here as Ignore is the closest thing to it. It may be possible that restrictions were set in place beforehand for who was allowed to participate in or start a conversation thread on one or both of your settings.

Anyway, back on topic. XD

I don't really have a hardcore "nope" and more like a possible "yeeting" of myself out if someone doesn't have a similar level of enthusiasm I have for not only their characters, but the plot they are wanting for a character. If someone wants to make a search thread and I get curious, I hope they have a direction for their character. Otherwise, them riding the wave of whatever I throw at them will only work in a group setting or the correct partner, and I'm not that person for them.
Imma piggy back off of you and save this thread rq

I leave if I feel other person does not have enough enthusiasm as well. Like... why would I wanna write with someone who acts like it is a burden to move on with the story haha.

I also leave if I feel the other person is a bit too much of an attention hog. Like if I feel they... are not ever going to let my characters have their time in the sun? Yeah it feels bad when I feel completely overshadowed.

I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but another thing that tends to make me back out is poor grammar in contacting me. I'm not talking the occasional mistake because English is not the person's first language, but consistent errors. I mean things like lack of punctuation, run-on sentences, etc. It gives off the impression that the person may type similarly in RP too.

I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but another thing that tends to make me back out is poor grammar in contacting me. I'm not talking the occasional mistake because English is not the person's first language, but consistent errors. I mean things like lack of punctuation, run-on sentences, etc. It gives off the impression that the person may type similarly in RP too.
I can't stand reeaally poor grammar. If I have to spend more than a few seconds trying to figure out what you're trying to say I get turned off.

I can't stand reeaally poor grammar. If I have to spend more than a few seconds trying to figure out what you're trying to say I get turned off.
Exactly. When I say I'm looking for literate partners then I mean it. They should be proving to me that they can at least construct a basic sentence.

Imma piggy back off of you and save this thread rq

I leave if I feel other person does not have enough enthusiasm as well. Like... why would I wanna write with someone who acts like it is a burden to move on with the story haha.

I also leave if I feel the other person is a bit too much of an attention hog. Like if I feel they... are not ever going to let my characters have their time in the sun? Yeah it feels bad when I feel completely overshadowed.

Ohhh that last one. XD That too! Like, I don't mind being the figurative spotlight, but I'd like a little bit of attention on my characters as well. It's why I RP. For not just giving people enjoyment, but myself too. If I can't enjoy what I'm doing, I'm not going to become a martyr for somebody else's interests. It just gets incredibly stressful.

But also, if the plot isn't fluid and too much of a one-sided thing where I can't add some pieces of input because I know if I include my character, it's not going to go as rigidly as you'd think. I don't mind having a backbone or structure of how things work, but I prefer winging it with certain plot points we can stick wherever it makes sense. XD there is always that direction anyway, so whenever we get done with a plot point, we move on with the story until we find some other plot point to stick.

About the grammar thing, I used to do this thing on another site where I would RP with someone with not so good grammar and help them have better posts by being slightly more descriptive with what their character is looking like. Nothing too much, just enough to be like "Hey, if you want to RP with more people and those other people you'd like to RP with would like proper grammar and at least a paragraph of a response and maybe some description, then I can help get you there." I have only done this with one person and my tutoring has been successful. :3 sadly, I ended up being extremely busy and forgot about the RP for a couple years. They messaged me back though, asking if we would like to continue. XD damn he got some patience lol XD

Ok since I .... never did answer properly here, I will go and write something for this thread as well:

Glorification of mental illness and/or falsely representing mental illness. First of all, your mental illness isn't a quirk. Secondly, I am tired of seeing characters with PTSD described as characters who are sometimes sad, or ADHD as man-babies who run after butterflies mid sentence. Stop. Ok stop. Do your research then come back, mental illnesses are not cute.

I think of it as writing tropes. Like I don’t mind if you want to write “shy girl who is secretly a badass” or whatever.

But trauma and mental illness (and for that matter sexuality and skin color) should not be given the same narrative importance as “not like other girls”.

Ok since I .... never did answer properly here, I will go and write something for this thread as well:

Glorification of mental illness and/or falsely representing mental illness. First of all, your mental illness isn't a quirk. Secondly, I am tired of seeing characters with PTSD described as characters who are sometimes sad, or ADHD as man-babies who run after butterflies mid sentence. Stop. Ok stop. Do your research then come back, mental illnesses are not cute.
Maybe I'm just fortunate since I can't say I have ever really encountered this in RP. Most depictions of mental illness I've seen have been fairly accurate and researched. I say this as a mentally ill person too.

(coming from a lgbtq+ poc) your opinion is your own of course but some of us just want to write lgbtq+/poc characters for the sake of writing lgbtq+/poc characters. it's really not that deep, writing is meant to be fun. get creative, have fun with your worlds. if i want an au where racism/homophobia don't exist, well, isn't it dandy fiction makes that possible

and anyway, i guess (in fictional stories) i care more about preserving culture than historical struggles because isn't that where the beauty lies: in what makes us all so diverse in the first place? why put your characters through irl suffering when you can watch them openly participate in their own culture without the internalised shame caused by white supremacy?

Last edited:
(coming from a lgbtq+ poc) your opinion is your own of course but some of us just want to write lgbtq+/poc characters for the sake of writing lgbtq+/poc characters. it's really not that deep, writing is meant to be fun. get creative, have fun with your worlds. if i want an au where racism/homophobia don't exist, well, isn't it dandy fiction makes that possible

and anyway, i guess (in fictional stories) i care more about preserving culture than historical struggles because isn't that where the beauty lies: in what makes us all so diverse in the first place? why put your characters through irl suffering when you can watch them openly participate in their own culture without the internalised shame caused by white supremacy?

This is perfectly valid. It really comes down to preferences. Personally I enjoy the challenge of writing characters trying to overcome these obstacles presented to them by societal standards and such. It really opens up a lot of room for character development, but at the same time I can fully understand why it may not appeal to all.

This is perfectly valid. It really comes down to preferences. Personally I enjoy the challenge of writing characters trying to overcome these obstacles presented to them by societal standards and such. It really opens up a lot of room for character development, but at the same time I can fully understand why it may not appeal to all.
Yeah, I mean, just because I’m white and I’m a guy, doesn’t mean that by not wanting racism/homophobia/other forms of bigotry in my games I’m trying to discredit or devalue the struggles marginalized groups do face. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make your stories about those struggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back