Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Jannah Jannah
Though I will say that I DID play the pokemon card game for a few years. Gengar is my favorite. But I've tried watching the show on a few occasions, and its super cringe on all fronts.

I totally understand where it would be appropriate and even required in those cases. BUT those are all settings I wouldn't be interested in to begin with. I can count the anime I have actually liked on one hand and have fingers to spare. I can confidently say I am not a fan of anime.
Yea that is fair. Everyone has different tastes. I'm not super into anime myself, but there's a few that I like.

yeah, I personally dislike anime faces. If I ever run an RP, one of the rules I put down is "No anime faceclaims". Depending on the setting, i prefer that faceclaimes either be rl pics or drawn art. one way or the other. not a mix. but never, EVER anime.
I would say 99% of the time the roleplay settings I do are not anime so I took prefer real life or art. I had someone, who claimed to have read my request thread, wanting to have anime faceclaims for a modern real life setting. Got mad when I told them no. I mean you did read my request thread right? I assume if you contacted me you are fine with my interests and what not. 🙄

I would say 99% of the time the roleplay settings I do are not anime so I took prefer real life or art. I had someone, who claimed to have read my request thread, wanting to have anime faceclaims for a modern real life setting. Got mad when I told them no. I mean you did read my request thread right? I assume if you contacted me you are fine with my interests and what not. 🙄
I only ever make group Reqs on RPN (and that's not often at all), otherwise it's just me responding to other group reqs. I feel like 1x1s have a lot more specific standards about common interests because they are geared for two characters to complement each other in some way. And tbh, its kind of a bummer to have to tailor a character that way. That bieng said, even Group RP reqs often state that they want irl faceclaims, drawn art, or even specifically anime fc's. I dunno. I like to think that sometimes people just overlook some rules in their excitement to get started. Bu then sometimes I see character builds that are just so out of place that I can't give them the benefit of the doubt.

One thing that personally always bugs the shit out of me is when people blatantly disregard the posting requirements. As in: Giving three or four sentence responses on the regular when multi-paragraphs were requested. It's not a trope/topic. But when I see meager replies becoming the standard, I just have nothing to work with and its extremely demotivating to continue. And by meager, I don't just mean a word count. I've seen padded posts that offer up 300+ words of absolutely nothing that I can bounce a response off of.

Fandom RPs scare me. I can write fan fiction just fine, but I never know how the other person interprets the character I'm writing, and that makes me nervous because it's not my own character. I think I just feel pressured in them.

Fandom RPs scare me. I can write fan fiction just fine, but I never know how the other person interprets the character I'm writing, and that makes me nervous because it's not my own character. I think I just feel pressured in them.
In both Fandom and Original RP I have had people get mad at me for playing a character ""wrong"" so ever since then I have sworn off fandom and have become INCREDIBLY picky about who I RP with for original. I get that there are core traits for every character, and there are certainly people who completely miss the mark on certain characters...

But some things are up for interpretation. The beauty of it all is how we can interpret things differently. A cold and pragmatic warlord to one person might look like a psychopath to another. When you sign up for Fandom you are signing up for someone possibly having a different interpretation.

In both Fandom and Original RP I have had people get mad at me for playing a character ""wrong"" so ever since then I have sworn off fandom and have become INCREDIBLY picky about who I RP with for original. I get that there are core traits for every character, and there are certainly people who completely miss the mark on certain characters...

But some things are up for interpretation. The beauty of it all is how we can interpret things differently. A cold and pragmatic warlord to one person might look like a psychopath to another. When you sign up for Fandom you are signing up for someone possibly having a different interpretation.
You're so right, and I wish other people understood that. One day I'll do a fandom RP again under that premise, but.. Not anytime soon, that's for sure.

This is why I don't write canon characters. I don't like writing other people's characters. I won't even touch fandom anything, in fact, unless all the characters involved are OC's.

Wait...so someone got mad at you for playing YOUR CHARACTER wrong according to them?

Wait...so someone got mad at you for playing YOUR CHARACTER wrong according to them?
Wild right? Lmao. It was mostly that they wanted romance and did not make that clear AT ALL. And then were upset that my dude wasn't into their damsel in distress ish going on.

Wild right? Lmao. It was mostly that they wanted romance and did not make that clear AT ALL. And then were upset that my dude wasn't into their damsel in distress ish going on.
Oh......brother. What's up with people not being clear up front? That's why there's communication. No one can read minds. Hopefully you noped out of there.

This is more of a pet peeve, but that thread is inaccessible right now and this certainly makes me leave too: interest checks that provide almost no actual details about the RP. I can't really gauge whether I'm interested or not if there's no information to work with.

Back again for a really me issue, not any issue with a person themselves or anything that I would be mad about should anyone enjoy these types of RP, but personally, I avoid OC x CCs as of lately and mostly before too since I can't do CC in character to save my life. Even if I know the show/character, I'm incapable of providing a decent response without worrying about whether or not I did a good impression of the character and that brings out my anxiety.

N30NL4Z3R N30NL4Z3R if it brings you any comfort most canon x oc pairings want the canon to be out of character. That's the whole point.

If you wanted to play the character exactly how they are portrayed in the source material you wouldn't pair them with an original creation.

So the thing to do is ask your partner;; how do you want to write the relationship?

And then just do your best to match that. Don't worry about getting the canon character right no one cares about accuracy in fan pairings.

Really more of a pet peeve but either way I will leave quickly, don't have time for it. Request threads that the poster is looking for a level of advanced writing, multiple paragraphs or novella. They have a writing sample up and would like one in return. Give a writing sample only for them to complain about not being able to keep up. Didn't know roleplay was a competition. Just ridiculous. Don't ask for longer posts then.

...Request threads that the poster is looking for a level of advanced writing, multiple paragraphs or novella. They have a writing sample up and would like one in return...
This is me (though the writing sample is linked and not blatantly posted). lol
Inno Inno
To give you some perspective on the matter, the reason I (and others like me) ask for certain criteria like post length and matching style, is simply because that's how we like to do our roleplay. And when people who enjoy a... lighter and more casual approach to their writing hobby try to share a join narrative with a style that completely clashes, then we have both just wasted each other's time. A request for a certain level of writing capability and quantity amount is really no different than any other criteria set forth in a request. It's not any more unusual than saying you don't play as canon characters, or that you don't wish to do a romance RP.

It's all just about tastes and preferences. I think it's only natural that people seek out others who contribute posts in the same context. And the writing sample is a great way to show what you look for while at the same time advertising your own skill to those that might appreciate it.

Last edited:
This is me (though the writing sample is linked and not blatantly posted). lol
Inno Inno
To give you some perspective on the matter, the reason I (and others like me) ask for certain criteria like post length and matching style, is simply because that's how we like to do our roleplay. And when people who enjoy a... lighter and more casual approach to their writing hobby try to share a join narrative with a style that completely clashes, then we have both just wasted each other's time. A request for a certain level of writing capability and quantity amount is really no different than any other criteria set forth in a request. It's not any more unusual than saying you don't play as canon characters, or that you don't wish to do a romance RP.

It's all just about tastes and preferences. I think it's only natural that people seek out others who contribute posts in the same context. And the writing sample is a great way to show what you look for while at the same time advertising your own skill to those that might appreciate it.
You missed what I was saying. I already know why people ask for writing samples. I've done it myself from time to time. What I'm talking about is a person specifying wanting a writing sample on their request thread because they are looking for multiple paragraphs/novella, I send them a sample of my writing and they complain about not being able to keep up with my writing just from reading that one sample(according to them. I write too much.)
I have no issue with anyone asking for writing samples unless they are really nasty about it. I have no issues providing samples of my own writing if I'm asked to do so. None of that is the problem. What is and the point of my post is don't say you are looking for longer posts and ask for a writing sample from potential partners then turn around to complain when someone gives you what you want. As if roleplay is supposed to be some sort of competition. It's not.

Last edited:
Inno Inno it's not about competition it’s about mirroring. So a lot of people like to mirror the post length of their partners. It’s related to the idea that if I send you three paragraphs and you send me one paragraph then you're putting less effort into the roleplay.

Not something I personally ascribe to but it’s a pretty common mindset in others.

I just tell the people they don't have to match my length and it usually clears up the misunderstanding.

Inno Inno it's not about competition it’s about mirroring. So a lot of people like to mirror the post length of their partners. It’s related to the idea that if I send you three paragraphs and you send me one paragraph then you're putting less effort into the roleplay.

Not something I personally ascribe to but it’s a pretty common mindset in others.

I just tell the people they don't have to match my length and it usually clears up the misunderstanding.
I did just say it's not about competition. I don't understand what this has to do with what I've said though.

not to throw anyone off topic but i absolutely hate when the roleplay gets sexual. im sorry if someone said that already.

You missed what I was saying. I already know why people ask for writing samples. I've done it myself from time to time. What I'm talking about is a person specifying wanting a writing sample on their request thread because they are looking for multiple paragraphs/novella, I send them a sample of my writing and they complain about not being able to keep up with my writing just from reading that one sample(according to them. I write too much.)
I have no issue with anyone asking for writing samples unless they are really nasty about it. I have no issues providing samples of my own writing if I'm asked to do so. None of that is the problem. What is and the point of my post is don't say you are looking for longer posts and ask for a writing sample from potential partners then turn around to complain when someone gives you what you want. As if roleplay is supposed to be some sort of competition. It's not.
*snickers* That's actually kinda funny that someone states that they are looking for multi-para on up to novella.... and then tells you that you write too much? I dunno what you gave em, but when someone says they write novella, I'm thinking they are dropping a couple thousand words easy. Maybe they had a different idea of what that meant?

Personally, I dont like to try to group in post lengths by these rudimentary labels. Everyone seems to have their own idea about what they mean, so they dont serve as useful a purpose as people seem to think they do.

Last edited:
not to throw anyone off topic but i absolutely hate when the roleplay gets sexual. im sorry if someone said that already.
that's actually against site rules if the sexual content doesn't "fade to black". You should report anything that gets too explicit. There are adult RP sites for that kind of thing. RPN isn't one of them.

Or by "sexual" do you just mean lewd and/or suggestive? because that's another story altogether

Last edited:
*snickers* That's actually kinda funny that someone states that they are looking for multi-para on up to novella.... and then tells you that you write too much? I dunno what you gave em, but when someone says they write novella, I'm thinking they are dropping a couple thousand words easy. Maybe hey had a different idea of what that meant?

Personally, I dont like to try to group in post lengths by these rudimentary labels. Everyone seems to have their own idea about what they mean, so they dont serve as useful a purpose as people seem to think they do.
They had a sample of their own writing which was detailed and had plenty of paragraphs. I gave them one of my own. I didn't think the person would take issue with however much I wrote. I write how I want to write. I don't do it thinking I have to limit myself and I'm definitely not going to apologize for it. To be honest, with that person it sounded more like a personal problem to me. Either way. Don't ask for multiple paragraph writing, someone gives you exactly what you want and you complain about it.

that's actually against site rules if the sexual content doesn't "fade to black". You should report anything that gets too explicit. There are adult RP sites for that kind of thing. RPN isn't one of them.

Or by "sexual" do you just mean lewd and/or suggestive? because that's another story altogether
both scare me. im a minor so i dont do that. it disgusts me and it makes me sick.

I’m really bad at the “Soul Mate” AU…And I don’t do “Alpha/Omega” AUs justice because…it tends to be very inaccurate to actual wolf behavior 99% of the time…and I know it’s all in good fun…but my brain won’t let me let it go! I give props and still have hella respect for those who do work with these tropes with confidence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back