Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Ok it’s not really a topic per say, but if I’m looking for a 1 x 1 or a group interest check and see “Discord required,” I nope out of there SO hard.

Just a personal thing- I can’t stand Discord. It always sucks tho because usually it’s a cool idea and I’m like hell nah, not using Discord. Too many personal issues with the site and the people who run it. Plus I was doxxed there too so not trying to relive that trauma.

Ok it’s not really a topic per say, but if I’m looking for a 1 x 1 or a group interest check and see “Discord required,” I nope out of there SO hard.

Just a personal thing- I can’t stand Discord. It always sucks tho because usually it’s a cool idea and I’m like hell nah, not using Discord. Too many personal issues with the site and the people who run it. Plus I was doxxed there too so not trying to relive that trauma.
Discord is not really a great platform for RP anyway unless you have a Nitro subscription. I had to cancel my Nitro subscription since I just can't afford it right now. Without it character limits are nowhere near enough for the type of RP I do so I will use it for plotting/planning things out, but the actual RP will occur on a less restrictive platform.

Discord is not really a great platform for RP anyway unless you have a Nitro subscription. I had to cancel my Nitro subscription since I just can't afford it right now. Without it character limits are nowhere near enough for the type of RP I do so I will use it for plotting/planning things out, but the actual RP will occur on a less restrictive platform.
EXACTLY. The character limit would also KILL me lmao. How the hell do people RP there?

Yea I get it. The Ottoman Empire is fascinating. One of the largest and greatest empires there were, and one of the longest lasting!
I always get Ottoman and Byzantine mixed up. Largely it is because I lived there and had the history piled on me haphazardly.

I always get Ottoman and Byzantine mixed up. Largely it is because I lived there and had the history piled on me haphazardly.
Also doesn't help that former Byzantine lands were part of the Ottoman Empire.

man, even with nitro, i always had to split my replies into 2 - 4 pieces on average, it was… i guess a minor inconvenience, but still enough to annoy me. i also hate the formatting on there 😭😭 i personally like to use bbcode in my replies, but even if not that, some basic formatting would be nice.

man, even with nitro, i always had to split my replies into 2 - 4 pieces on average, it was… i guess a minor inconvenience, but still enough to annoy me. i also hate the formatting on there 😭😭 i personally like to use bbcode in my replies, but even if not that, some basic formatting would be nice.
I don't use coding, like, at all when I RP so that was never an issue for me. In fact, I usually go out of my way now to avoid RP's that require code. If it was HTML and CSS that I could work with, but Bbcode I don't know at all. It's just too much of a headache to deal with just to write. Writing should not be stressful, it should be fun.

I like to do some basic coding. Like justified text, bolding, that kind of thing. Just cuz it makes it look neater on the screen and is easier for me to read. But other then that I don't bother with anything more elaborate than what I would use on a Google doc.

When people make teen characters that have the collective life experiences of a 50-year-old. I hate that edgelord crap.

"My character is an ambassador for the Collective, but they also have extensive training in martial arts and are a decorated sniper and speak seven languages"

Oh, yeah? All that in sixteen years of life? Fucking miraculous!

When people make teen characters that have the collective life experiences of a 50-year-old. I hate that edgelord crap.

"My character is an ambassador for the Collective, but they also have extensive training in martial arts and are a decorated sniper and speak seven languages"

Yeah ... would need to be 17, at least. (That's sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.)

The constant tragic backstory and the need to revolve characters around the tragic backstory. I mean I get having a backstory that may not have been the best but the need to have it over the top and be the only thing the character lives for or what makes them them is for their tragedies is so bland.

Okay, I love Avatar: The Last Airbender, but it has definitely always bothered me how a bunch of kids can save the world. Yes, I get that one of them is the Avatar, but these are kids going up against master benders and warriors who have literally been training for YEARS.

The only thing that makes me nope out of stuff is Discord requirements now since I had to delete my Discord for reasons and I'm no longer going to attempt to go on there/recreate an account because of said reasons and anxiety. And I wasn't an active user so it doesn't make a difference in my life. I'm pretty fine with most stuff otherwise- I saw before that people were talking about how weird MPREG is and I understand and can see how most would be uncomfortable with that stuff, especially RPing anything with said topic; it's probably due to reading stuff that tended to occasionally have some aspect of this that I became desensitized and not too bothered by said topic and pretty much a lot of other stuff. Manga changes a person when you are willing to go deeper than normal.

The constant tragic backstory and the need to revolve characters around the tragic backstory. I mean I get having a backstory that may not have been the best but the need to have it over the top and be the only thing the character lives for or what makes them them is for their tragedies is so bland.
I’m making several characters with tragic backstories currently, but the main one is just like “oh yeah, I found out that I literally cannot die, and I decided to keep that to myself for the past ten years”

Edric Blight Edric Blight
Jannah Jannah

I will say as to Discord, I run plenty of Nation Builder RPs on RPN. And I find that the Fluff and turn Actions are great for RPN.

But for any adventures that occur in the NRP or player interaction/interaction with NPCs, Discord works perfectly and at a steady pace that can work for the players at their own availability.

Edric Blight Edric Blight
Jannah Jannah

I will say as to Discord, I run plenty of Nation Builder RPs on RPN. And I find that the Fluff and turn Actions are great for RPN.

But for any adventures that occur in the NRP or player interaction/interaction with NPCs, Discord works perfectly and at a steady pace that can work for the players at their own availability.
It can definitely work for some things, but not so much for the multi-paragraph and novella type RP's I usually do.

Considering the peeves thread is not accessible this will have to go here.

I will leave when there's an exhausting amount of planning to be done before the actual roleplay. I mean like a week's worth of back and forth messages about beginning, middle, and end of the roleplay. A whole encyclopedia about characters, npcs, history. And this is for a 1x1. It just makes me lose interest in the entire thing. I much rather have a majority of everything play out in the roleplay rather than plotting it to the point of disgust. At most, two days. But a whole week of going over every possible detail?! No.

EXACTLY. The character limit would also KILL me lmao. How the hell do people RP there?
I'm not quite sure how people do it in group roleplays, but I roleplay one on one with one of my friends frequently, and we've just gotten used to breaking up our replies into parts, and letting the other know that they shouldn't look yet.

Unless it is a strictly anime roleplay, I would definitely dip if I have to use anime images for my character for any other setting besides. Or someone comes to me, seeks ME out for a roleplay and demands I use anime images for a roleplay. Hmmm, no. Demands just don't fly with me.

Unless it is a strictly anime roleplay, I would definitely dip if I have to use anime images for my character for any other setting besides. Or someone comes to me, seeks ME out for a roleplay and demands I use anime images for a roleplay. Hmmm, no. Demands just don't fly with me.
yeah, I personally dislike anime faces. If I ever run an RP, one of the rules I put down is "No anime faceclaims". Depending on the setting, i prefer that faceclaimes either be rl pics or drawn art. one way or the other. not a mix. but never, EVER anime.

yeah, I personally dislike anime faces. If I ever run an RP, one of the rules I put down is "No anime faceclaims". Depending on the setting, i prefer that faceclaimes either be rl pics or drawn art. one way or the other. not a mix. but never, EVER anime.
I'm okay with anime FC's in a RP styled after anime (such as a RP using common anime tropes) or a RP based on an anime fandom. Other than that, no. I also don't typically run those types of RP's myself unless it's Pokemon or something.

I'm okay with anime FC's in a RP styled after anime (such as a RP using common anime tropes) or a RP based on an anime fandom. Other than that, no. I also don't typically run those types of RP's myself unless it's Pokemon or something.
I totally understand where it would be appropriate and even required in those cases. BUT those are all settings I wouldn't be interested in to begin with. I can count the anime I have actually liked on one hand and have fingers to spare. I can confidently say I am not a fan of anime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back