Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Edric Blight Edric Blight i think the idea is more like “what arguments do you not feel like having?”

Cuz the idea is less that you are leaving an active conversation and more like you see a red flag that you don’t feel like tackling in a roleplay.

So take my last post ;; If someone pitches a character that is “half” five different things. I am not sticking around to argue with that person about their character. I just say “sorry I don’t think we’re a good fit.”

Or if the character is in their Interest Check then I click the back button without bothering to contact them at all.

Straight up military type of roleplays. Or historical roleplays in general. For example, anything to do with World War I or II. Had a guy once try to get me to play in an AU where the Nazis won the war and I would be playing a prisoner. Yeah, no.

Edric Blight Edric Blight i think the idea is more like “what arguments do you not feel like having?”

Cuz the idea is less that you are leaving an active conversation and more like you see a red flag that you don’t feel like tackling in a roleplay.

So take my last post ;; If someone pitches a character that is “half” five different things. I am not sticking around to argue with that person about their character. I just say “sorry I don’t think we’re a good fit.”

Or if the character is in their Interest Check then I click the back button without bothering to contact them at all.
Oops, well silly me.

Straight up military type of roleplays. Or historical roleplays in general. For example, anything to do with World War I or II. Had a guy once try to get me to play in an AU where the Nazis won the war and I would be playing a prisoner. Yeah, no.
Sounds like you had an edgy 14 year old Wehraboo on your hands.

Military RP's can actually be a lot of fun if done well, provided a person is into that sort of thing. Unfortunately there are some weirdos who are into the genre, though.

Yea the whole 14 year old obsessed with Nazis and “what if” histories always creep me out.

I love history and military history, but it doesn’t mean I idolize or admire the Nazis nor do I want to ever play out an RP where they won the war. That’s cringe.

Yea the whole 14 year old obsessed with Nazis and “what if” histories always creep me out.

I love history and military history, but it doesn’t mean I idolize or admire the Nazis nor do I want to ever play out an RP where they won the war. That’s cringe.
I have written some alternate history stuff like that but it was always about resistance groups overthrowing the Nazi regime and such.

I have written some alternate history stuff like that but it was always about resistance groups overthrowing the Nazi regime and such.
Yea no that’s cool. It’s just the overly obsessed with Nazis kid I will never speak to or even think about entertaining an Rp idea with lol.

I should have specified, I’m not creeped out by ALL lovers of “what if” alternate histories. Just the ones who worship Nazis in 2022 despite being born in like 2008.

Yea no that’s cool. It’s just the overly obsessed with Nazis kid I will never speak to or even think about entertaining an Rp idea with lol.

I should have specified, I’m not creeped out by ALL lovers of “what if” alternate histories. Just the ones who worship Nazis in 2022 despite being born in like 2008.
Yea, I figured as much. Those ones creep me out too because they make all us historical RPers look bad. I've been accused of racism and all sorts of other things all because I enjoy historical RP. It's really not fair to paint us all with the same brush, but it does often happen because of some Nazi obsessed weirdos :(

Yea, I figured as much. Those ones creep me out too because they make all us historical RPers look bad. I've been accused of racism and all sorts of other things all because I enjoy historical RP. It's really not fair to paint us all with the same brush, but it does often happen because of some Nazi obsessed weirdos :(
Exactly. And then it gets all messed up and you get lumped into the “racist” card because everyone who likes history is racist.

I get it, some people just wanna do historical RPs and not be grouped together with Nazi obsessed Wehraboos as I like to call them.

Exactly. And then it gets all messed up and you get lumped into the “racist” card because everyone who likes history is racist.

I get it, some people just wanna do historical RPs and not be grouped together with Nazi obsessed Wehraboos as I like to call them.
Yea, I'm old. I still remember the days when a person could have an interest in history without automatically being accused of racism and other forms of bigotry despite not holding those views. When I do historical RP I actually often try to do less explored settings. Things like the Medieval Middle East, Medieval Eastern Europe, the Ottoman Empire, etc. Basically the settings that emcompassed large geographical areas or were non-white civilizations as it gives players more options as far as characters go. There's plenty of room in those settings for characters that aren't just your typical pasty white nobleman. Plus it's fun to explore these settings too because a lot of the western European settings are WAY overdone. I'm actually pretty burnt out on anything pertaining to England or France simply because they're so overdone in the RP community.

Yea, I'm old. I still remember the days when a person could have an interest in history without automatically being accused of racism and other forms of bigotry despite not holding those views. When I do historical RP I actually often try to do less explored settings. Things like the Medieval Middle East, Medieval Eastern Europe, the Ottoman Empire, etc. Basically the settings that emcompassed large geographical areas or were non-white civilizations as it gives players more options as far as characters go. There's plenty of room in those settings for characters that aren't just your typical pasty white nobleman. Plus it's fun to explore these settings too because a lot of the western European settings are WAY overdone. I'm actually pretty burnt out on anything pertaining to England or France simply because they're so overdone in the RP community.
That’s cool. Although they were awful people (1915, Armenian Genocide, never forget…) the Ottoman Empire is a very very interesting and cool setting to explore and one that doesn’t get touched on too much mostly because people just aren’t interested, don’t care, or don’t know enough about the Ottomans lol.

I’ve personally never done an historical RP as much as I am a history nerd, because they’re not for me, but I totally don’t mind people who do them. They get a bad wrap. Although I do find Medieval role players are a bit uptight and SUPER strict about what they allow and the types of characters they will and won’t play with so I’d never step foot in that era and with that community.

That’s cool. Although they were awful people (1915, Armenian Genocide, never forget…) the Ottoman Empire is a very very interesting and cool setting to explore and one that doesn’t get touched on too much mostly because people just aren’t interested, don’t care, or don’t know enough about the Ottomans lol.

I’ve personally never done an historical RP as much as I am a history nerd, because they’re not for me, but I totally don’t mind people who do them. They get a bad wrap. Although I do find Medieval role players are a bit uptight and SUPER strict about what they allow and the types of characters they will and won’t play with so I’d never step foot in that era and with that community.
The Ottoman Empire was actually pretty diverse and accepting up until around the 1800's. The Armenian Genocide and all those other atrocities we hear about occurred while the empire was on the brink of collapse. Having a story set during the Ottoman Empire's height in the 1500's could actually be fun I think. Problem is, like you said, not a lot of people have the knowledge to pull it off :(

The Ottoman Empire was actually pretty diverse and accepting up until around the 1800's. The Armenian Genocide and all those other atrocities we hear about occurred while the empire was on the brink of collapse. Having a story set during the Ottoman Empire's height in the 1500's could actually be fun I think. Problem is, like you said, not a lot of people have the knowledge to pull it off :(
Well yes, it was diverse and accepting until a point. Essentially it used to be for the longest time there, hey as long as you pay us your taxes, worship who ever the hell you want! They knew there was no way they were gonna force their huge spanning and wildly diverse empire to all be Muslim. But that’s not the point.

I agree, it was very fascinating empire to explore. But it’s a VERY VERY niche little part of the historical RP community that would even be willing to or have the knowledge to do an Ottoman Empire RP.

Well yes, it was diverse and accepting until a point. Essentially it used to be for the longest time there, hey as long as you pay us your taxes, worship who ever the hell you want! They knew there was no way they were gonna force their huge spanning and wildly diverse empire to all be Muslim. But that’s not the point.

I agree, it was very fascinating empire to explore. But it’s a VERY VERY niche little part of the historical RP community that would even be willing to or have the knowledge to do an Ottoman Empire RP.
I just know so much about it myself since the Ottoman Empire was my historical interest for awhile. I read a bunch of books about it. It seems most of the popular historical eras and settings in the RP community are the ones I'm least interested in, hah.

I just know so much about it myself since the Ottoman Empire was my historical interest for awhile. I read a bunch of books about it. It seems most of the popular historical eras and settings in the RP community are the ones I'm least interested in, hah.
Yea I get it. The Ottoman Empire is fascinating. One of the largest and greatest empires there were, and one of the longest lasting!

Yea I get it. The Ottoman Empire is fascinating. One of the largest and greatest empires there were, and one of the longest lasting!
Would certainly be a nice change from the usual Medieval England court intrigue stories that most historical RPers do. It seems to be either that or WW II. Occasionally Ancient Greece or Rome, but players tend to throw mythological and fantasy elements into those. Is it too much to ask for a realistic historical story set in Greece or Rome? Lmao.

Would certainly be a nice change from the usual Medieval England court intrigue stories that most historical RPers do. It seems to be either that or WW II. Occasionally Ancient Greece or Rome, but players tend to throw mythological and fantasy elements into those. Is it too much to ask for a realistic historical story set in Greece or Rome? Lmao.
Yea I typically only see Medieval England and WWII RPed by historical RPers lol.

I wish you luck in the search for different settings like the Ottoman Empire. : )

To keep this thread on topic furry anything gets me noping out pretty quickly. I know some enjoy it but it's really not my thing, especially when there's the anthros and humans existing together in an otherwise mundane world. I'm not including high fantasy settings with pre-determined non-human races such as Khajiit in Elder Scrolls here.

Military RP's can actually be a lot of fun if done well, provided a person is into that sort of thing. Unfortunately there are some weirdos who are into the genre, though.
I suppose. I haven't encountered anyone that has done them well, not saying they're aren't those that do. Most I've encountered seemed to just take stuff from movies like Pearl Harbor so...

teensy bit off topic but I hate when people won’t compromise about lore at all

also if they go by really strict vampire lore/old school vampire lore (no sunlight, will count miscellaneous things, have to stake them in the heart) I nope on out of there REAL fast

also if they go by really strict vampire lore/old school vampire lore (no sunlight, will count miscellaneous things, have to stake them in the heart) I nope on out of there REAL fast

I freaking love alternative lore and it is always a little disappointing to have people stick to Hollywood stereotypes.

Vampires are such a diverse concept that all you technically need is “drinks blood” to count and there are some variants that don’t even do that (I call them vampiric just for my own peace of mind).

Now I don’t mind if you have your own specific type of vampire you wanna play (so long as they fit the plot) but I will nope out if all vampires forever have to be one thing. Cuz nah man vamps are like people. Not all people are white and not all Vampires are some iteration of Dracula.

I freaking love alternative lore and it is always a little disappointing to have people stick to Hollywood stereotypes.

Vampires are such a diverse concept that all you technically need is “drinks blood” to count and there are some variants that don’t even do that (I call them vampiric just for my own peace of mind).

Now I don’t mind if you have your own specific type of vampire you wanna play (so long as they fit the plot) but I will nope out if all vampires forever have to be one thing. Cuz nah man vamps are like people. Not all people are white and not all Vampires are some iteration of Dracula.
exactly!!!!!
me, personally, I like Darren Shan’s interpretation of vampires. It’s refreshing

exactly!!!!!
me, personally, I like Darren Shan’s interpretation of vampires. It’s refreshing
Not familiar with Darren Shan but I like the interpretation from Anne Bishop though. They’re able to draw blood to the surface of the skin and absorb it. It actually seems like a much more efficient hunting strategy to me.

Cuz I always feel like that’s the part people forget. These are meant to be apex predators so all their special abilities should be efficient and aid in hunting prey / avoiding predators.

But so much is just “let’s make them sexy or super powered.”

For me it definitely depends how much the traditional lore is being deviated from. I guess I'm a purist in that way. If I'm dealing with fantasy races and creatures then I do prefer to go with the standard understanding of them. I will allow for some deviations, but I tend to lose interest when it's massive changes, y'know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back