Experiences What's one RP trope/topic that makes you leave without discussion?

Personally, I fail to understand or empathize (sympathize?) with the notion that the rambling writings of a stranger on the internet can make someone feel unsafe. It takes things happening irl for me to feel unsafe. And for that... well, I live in Texas, and we have Castle Laws. A much more real worry would be the multple bad neighborhoods I have lived in, and the people my kiddo is exposed to when I go out. Internet goombahs? Pfft. They can wallow in their opinions for all I care. It's never going to make me feel unsafe.

Tbh, I've probably just become very desensitized from all the stuff I've seen and read on the internet ver the years. Especially on adult-oriented sites. Some of the stuff on there is like... woah. But instead of getting bent out of shape over it, the misanthrope in me chalks it up to everyone having their demons, and trying to express themselves in the most non-destructive way.

That being said, if people dont want to participate in an RP (for ANY reason), they dont have to. If the writing got weird, if the subject matter rubs them wrong way, if it gets too cringey or boring, or whatever... people shouldnt have to explain themselves if they want to bow out. I guess to that end, I'm pretty ghost-friendly. Guess I got used to it over the years and I can understand that's just the way it goes.

But to actually get back on topic, one thing that makes me back out of an RP real quick is when the CS and submitted characters seem to have a big focus on their pronouns and gender identiy/sexual orientation. At least, on PG sites. Like, I don't get it. If it's a romance RP, fine. makes sese. But I wouldnt be involved in it in the first place if it was. And since it wouldnt be, I dont understand the need to list it. Our characters arent going to date. they arent going to have sex. So why oh why do I need to know thier orientation? Mention it in their background if its that important. But tagging it as a whole field and then further emphasizing it makes me think that the whole RP is going to get sidelined into a focus on some kind of dating trope.

Now, Dont get me wrong. I have nothing against characters of varying sexual orientation. I have a couple characters myself that are other-than-straight. But unless its on an adult site, that notion pretty much never comes into play and is just briefly mentioned in a sentence or two in their background. Asfar as pronouns. I mean, do we even need to clarify. If you rfer to your character as a him in their bio, and then continue to do so in the narrative. Well then your character is a him. Dont underline an obvious redundancy.
Yep. I never even mention the character's sexuality unless a sheet for some reason requires it or the RP is actually centred on romance. Like, I don't see how it's relevant in strictly platonic plots? Most of my RP's recently have been platonic too so often times I don't even know what my own character's sexualities are myself.

(And on your earlier points I largely agree.)

Murdergurl Murdergurl you are privileged to have had such an experience. I myself have run into fascists and stalkers in my day (albeit not necessarily to an extent where I felt unsafe). But that’s because I have a thick skin.

This site is nothing if not full of people with various issues that make them more sensitive to the smallest criticism. Now imagine how the people who go into a depressive state over ghosting handle active bullying and harassment?

It’s not gonna be pretty.

I would say for orientation and pronouns. Being gay isn’t about sex. The idea that it is why people put it in their CS in the first place.

If people treated being gay like being heterosexual (ie a normal part of someone’s lives experience) then it makes them less uncomfortable with the idea.

But because we overly sexualize orientations it means people are like “gross ifs about sex in a way I don’t understand/approve of/etc.”. When it’s not.

Being gay is who they are. They aren’t only gay when they’re having sex. In the same way you aren’t only straight when your having sex.

Murdergurl Murdergurl you are privileged to have had such an experience. I myself have run into fascists and stalkers in my day (albeit not necessarily to an extent where I felt unsafe). But that’s because I have a thick skin.

This site is nothing if not full of people with various issues that make them more sensitive to the smallest criticism. Now imagine how the people who go into a depressive state over ghosting handle active bullying and harassment?

I would say for orientation and pronouns. Being gay isn’t about sex. The idea that it is why people put it in their CS in the first place.

If people treated being gay like being heterosexual (ie a normal part of someone’s lives experience) then it makes them less uncomfortable with the idea.

But because we overly sexualize orientations it means people are like “gross ifs about sex in a way I don’t understand/approve of/etc.”. When it’s not.

Being gay is who they are. They aren’t only gay when they’re having sex. In the same way you aren’t only straight when your having sex.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

One's sexual orientation is not a personality trait so in a RP with zero romantic elements I don't really see how it would be relevant to the plot in anyway. However, I suppose that could come down to stylistic choices as well. Personally when I must do a sheet then I only include information that will somehow be relevant to the plot/setting. If it's not a romantic RP then sexual and/or romantic orientation I leave out. It is a part of who a person is, yes, just like being left-handed is, but I think things like gender and sexuality are separate from one's personality. Especially if we're going off the stereotypical gender roles. For example, I'm a cis female but most of my interests are stereotypically masculine. I don't even dress particularly feminine either.

Of course gender is typically included in a character sheet, but I think the gender is usually already implied in the written descriptions without having to make a separate section for pronouns. Most sheets are written in the third person so it's easy enough to discern what the character's gender is just from that.

What I meant is that assume straight as a default. So if you do not have any over sexual content then people assume all characters are straight.

It’s the same way that people assume every character is white unless you don’t specifically say “my character has dark skin”.

It’s because we are trained to see certain type of people as “normal” and everyone else as a deviation.

Which is how you get this idea that “oh you are inserting extra details that are unnecessary.”

Because people think “oh LGBTQ identities only show up if there is sex.”

But like straight people have all kind of attributes that don’t have anything to do with sex but still indicate their orientation.

1. The expectations of other characters. Especially if your a woman then at some point someone is gonna ask you why you haven’t paired up. And that crosses genres and age. Unless your playing very old or Very young characters.

2. Chances are your character themselves is gonna indicate some degree of attractiveness in the people around them. Unless their asexual sex repulsed individuals (which is in itself a sexual orientation. So even the lack of physical attraction in a character sort of proves the point via a negative)

3. Your character is gonna face internal or external prejudice based on their sexual orientation. Unless they are the expected sexual orientation and just like with asexuality the lack of prejudice is still a direct consequence of their orientation.

So the idea that your characters have to be actively having sex or engaging in sexual activities for information to be relevant isn’t even true for heterosexual characters much less any other orientation.

Unless you are writing a fictional species that do not reproduce in a sexual fashion and thus have no need for such designations. Then yeah the asexually reproducing aliens or whatever don’t need a sexuality tag on their CS.

As for pronouns it’s a basic bit of info and it doesn’t take any particular effort. So I just count it as good manners. Like if you can’t be bothered to write (she/her) then I just personally view it as weirdly lazy. Like even the most bare bones CS is going to at minimum have

name / age / gender / role / image of character

And that’s if you don’t bother with literally anything else. So there isn’t more effort needed to put female vs. female (she/her)

Like it’s not like it takes so much as a second more time to write it out. I just did it and there was no noticeable difference.

So to me it just seems kinda lazy or childish not to add it if it’s requested.

Like for that matter sexuality also isn’t that big of an effort to write either. I would think it would be more obnoxious to write out hair/eye color or hobbies or favorite song or whatever.

Like hell a separate paragraph for personality takes way more time then just putting “straight” at the end of a tag.

So I guess I just don’t see how one or two words are the breaking point in a CS.

There are waaaaay less useful things added to CS. My personal pet peeve is the hair/eye color or weight. Cuz those are legit useless info and are usually covered in the image or description of the character anyway.

My personal pet peeve is the hair/eye color or weight
I definitely agree with the weight part.

I find it really silly on a CS because:
1. Just knowing my character's weight doesn't actually give you a good idea of what they look like - everyone holds their weight differently.
2. Half the time people don't actually know healthy weights and height. One time a girl had put her character was 5'8, 60 Ibs and I was more concerned for that character than anything else when I read that.
3. It's just overall the most inefficient way to talk about a character's body type. Unless the character is specifically going through a weightloss journey, or needs to gain weight for something then I... don't care about their weight at all.

Tbh, it is far more useful to describe their bodytype and how they hold their weight. Do they hold it on their belly? Their thighs? Their butt? Everyone holds weight differently and it is much more helpful for me to visualize if you say something like: "A little chubby with her weight being predominantly held in her thighs and bum" it would mean WAY more to me visually than: "180 Ibs"

What I meant is that assume straight as a default. So if you do not have any over sexual content then people assume all characters are straight.

It’s the same way that people assume every character is white unless you don’t specifically say “my character has dark skin”.

It’s because we are trained to see certain type of people as “normal” and everyone else as a deviation.

Which is how you get this idea that “oh you are inserting extra details that are unnecessary.”

But like straight people have all kind of attributes that don’t have anything to do with sex but still indicate their orientation.

1. The expectations of other characters. Especially if your a woman then at some point someone is gonna ask you why you haven’t paired up. And that crosses genres and age. Unless your playing very old or Very young characters.

2. Chances are your character themselves is gonna indicate some degree of attractiveness in the people around them. Unless their asexual sex repulsed individuals (which is in itself a sexual orientation. So even the lack of physical attraction in a character sort of proves the point via a negative)

3. Your character is gonna face internal or external prejudice based on their sexual orientation. Unless they are the expected sexual orientation and just like with asexuality the lack of prejudice is still a direct consequence of their orientation.

So the idea that your characters have to be actively having sex or engaging in sexual activities for information to be relevant isn’t even true for heterosexual characters much less any other orientation.

Unless you are writing a fictional species that do not reproduce in a sexual fashion and thus have no need for such designations. Then yeah the asexually reproducing aliens or whatever don’t need a sexuality tag on their CS.

As for pronouns it’s a basic bit of info and it doesn’t take any particular effort. So I just count it as good manners. Like if you can’t be bothered to write (she/her) then I just personally view it as weirdly lazy. Like even the most bare bones CS is going to at minimum have

name / age / gender / role / image of character

And that’s if you don’t bother with literally anything else. So there isn’t more effort needed to put female vs. female (she/her)

Like it’s not like it takes so much as a second more time to write it out. I just did it and there was no noticeable difference.

So to me it just seems kinda lazy or childish not to add it if it’s requested.

Like for that matter sexuality also isn’t that big of an effort to write either. I would think it would be more obnoxious to write out hair/eye color or hobbies or favorite song or whatever.

Like hell a separate paragraph for personality takes way more time then just putting “straight” at the end of a tag.

So I guess I just don’t see how one or two words are the breaking point in a CS.

There are waaaaay less useful things added to CS. My personal pet peeve is the hair/eye color or weight. Cuz those are legit useless info and are usually covered in the image or description of the character anyway.
Ah okay. Yea, this makes sense now and is reasonable.

Privileged? lol
I've lived in neighborhoods where we've been shot at. Not like directly. But we were in the direction of the shots, and there were bullet holes in our building. I've seen people OD and get wheeled out to the hospital. I've had three friends committed to a mental health ward, I've been in county like 5 times. My little brother went to prison. My dad is currently awaiting a court hearing to see if he will go to prison or just get probation.

I wouldn't call it privileged. I would say that I've seen the ugly face of the world in the flesh. And stupid, insignificant things on a computer screen aren't worth getting worked up over. Y'all think keyboard commandoes on the internet are bullies? Wait until you get jumped at a house party by homegirl and her two friends. lol It's just... I dunno, I just really cant understand why people have such thin skin on the internet. Like, I laughed when the notion of trigger warnings first started circulating around the web. I's like, bruh... Just stop responding! These people have literally no ability to make you do anything because they aren't physically there. They are words on a screen, and that screen can be clicked away from. Problem solved.

Like, this entire conversation for example. If for whatever reason it went somewhere I didnt like, BOOM, i just stop writing. But it's entertaining for me, andI like these convos, so I keep responding. Do I have to? No. Can I stop? yes. It's that simple.

So.... do they want to be treated differently for being of a certain sexuality/gender? I dont understand the logic here. If we arent talking about the preference of character's love interest, then what difference does it make?

Let's say that we leave a character's orientation a mystery. And the RP has absolutely nothing to do with romance, dating, love, etc. What about that character would have them be treated differently because they were straight or gay (or whatever else)?

I dont know about you, but when I meet people I really dont give a damn what their orientation is, and I treat them appropriately for their actions. My writing reflects the same, because frankly I dont know how I'm supposed to treat a gay person over a straight person if I'm not interested in dating them.

To me, and please correct me if I'm in the wrong here, the only real difference between a gay person and a straight person is the attraction to a certain sex. aside from that, they should be given the same regard. So how is an orientation about anything other than sexual preference?

I think this might just be you speaking from your own experiences. I dont assume the characters are anything they havent stated. In the case of orientation. I just dont care. It doesnt affect the story, and I dont really formulate opinions of unimportant factors. In the case of the ladder, I most definitely dont assume the ethnicity of a character. This is the reason we have faceclaims, afterall. Now, I might think it weird if a character looks hispanic but has a name like Mikhail Kalashnikov. but thats a different story.
Take a pointer from a misanthrope, I see all people as Deviants. Some are just in denial.

No. I think mentioning orientations period, indicated that there will be issues having to do with sex and pairings. Doesnt matter which way the orientation falls. the fact that it is mentioned, implies that you are soliciting some kind of relationship, whether it be love or lust. People dont go to singles bars just to hang out.

I think most mature people can admit when a person is attractive, even if they are the same gender and straight. You dont need to be gay to appreciate the good form of the same sex.

Yes IF thats something the RP is about. As I had explained in my original statement, if the RP isnt about dating or romance or sexual issues, then there is no point in going on about orientation. And since I avidly avoid RPs that have to do with these things, it irks me to no end when people make a big deal about their orientation in an RP that has nothing to do with it.

Heterosexual characters need not mention their orientation either, as it is equally as unimportant to mention as any other sexuality.

As for pronouns it’s a basic bit of info and it doesn’t take any particular effort. So I just count it as good manners. Like if you can’t be bothered to write (she/her) then I just personally view it as weirdly lazy.
We werent talking about not complying. We were talking about how it is redundant. If you have referred to your character as a she at any point in your CS, you have already made the reference to your characters pronouns. No reason to make a field of it.

I would think it would be more obnoxious to write out hair/eye color or hobbies or favorite song or whatever.
Wholeheartedly agree that these are stupid things to include if you have a faceclaim that already exemplifies it.
Hobbies and song and color... are just stupid things to write no matter what. These kinds of fields are reminiscent of elementary school convos, and I feel like they are just fluff to make a CS look more full or something.

Weight is useful for combat/action situations or if a character is of an abnormal height. Like, I reference the weight of my characters if they are small aliens or goblins, or an android because they will have a significant weight difference than the norms of a human. And you never know when someone is going to get thrown by someone/something. In which case, weight definitely comes into play.

Hair/eye color is pretty redundant unless the facecliam isnt clear on the details of it

Last edited:
I think this might just be you speaking from your own experiences. I dont assume the characters are anything they havent stated. In the case of orientation. I just dont care. It doesnt affect the story, and I dont really formulate opinions of unimportant factors. In the case of the ladder, I most definitely dont assume the ethnicity of a character. This is the reason we have faceclaims, afterall. Now, I might think it weird if a character looks hispanic but has a name like Mikhail Kalashnikov. but thats a different story.
To be fair I have seen cases where the face claims didn't really match the supposed ethnicity of the character. Like, I once saw someone use Keanu Reeves for a character with a Japanese name. The character was clearly meant to be Japanese, but the chosen face did not reflect that. Then of course there's the case of mixed raced and biracial people who may look like one race/ethnicity and not so much the other.

To be fair I have seen cases where the face claims didn't really match the supposed ethnicity of the character. Like, I once saw someone use Keanu Reeves for a character with a Japanese name. The character was clearly meant to be Japanese, but the chosen face did not reflect that. Then of course there's the case of mixed raced and biracial people who may look like one race/ethnicity and not so much the other.
47 Ronin and The Last Samurai are probably to blame for that particular instance. lmao

Keanu isnt even "white" though. He's defo mixed race. I know he's part Hawaiian... but I dont really know what else as I dont really fawn over celebs in general.

Okay so I googled him and hes all over the board. lol
Actually born in Lebanon, he's Hawaiian, English, Chinese, Portuguese, Scottish , and Dutch.

You know who's been used as all sorts of ethnicities that he isn't? Antonio Banderas. He was even depicted as an Arab in The Thirteenth Warrior. But he's from Spain.

Anyhow. If peeps cant match a good faceclaim to their character, that's kind of their own fault, and I guess just them being lazy or naive. OR just really wanting to squee over some fangirl Keanu stuff. lol

47 Ronin and The Last Samurai are probably to blame for that particular instance. lmao

Keanu isnt even "white" though. He's defo mixed race. I know he's part Hawaiian... but I dont really know what else as I dont really fawn over celebs in general.

Okay so I googled him and hes all over the board. lol
Actually born in Lebanon, he's Hawaiian, English, Chinese, Portuguese, Scottish , and Dutch.

You know who's been used as all sorts of ethnicities that he isn't? Antonio Banderas. He was even depicted as an Arab in The Thirteenth Warrior. But he's from Spain.

Anyhow. If peeps cant match a good faceclaim to their character, that's kind of their own fault, and I guess just them being lazy or naive. OR just really wanting to squee over some fangirl Keanu stuff. lol
I'm pretty ignorant about most pop culture things in general, but I do at least use tools at my disposal to find faces that match my character's ethnicity.

It's not a deal breaker for me necessarily, but definitely a pet peeve when players cannot even put in the effort of finding an ethnically appropriate face claim.

I'm pretty ignorant about most pop culture things in general, but I do at least use tools at my disposal to find faces that match my character's ethnicity.

It's not a deal breaker for me necessarily, but definitely a pet peeve when players cannot even put in the effort of finding an ethnically appropriate face claim.
agree. it really isnt that hard to find a believable face for your character's chosen ethnic group. But I think a lot of people are hung up on playing their celebrity crush in a role instead of a more appropriated aesthetic.

agree. it really isnt that hard to find a believable face for your character's chosen ethnic group. But I think a lot of people are hung up on playing their celebrity crush in a role instead of a more appropriated aesthetic.
In some cases it's acceptable I guess. Like, if the character was adopted by parents of a different ethnicity. Naturally, they would likely have a name to reflect that. Plenty of kids adopted into American families have pretty standard American names. Other than that, though, yes please put in effort of making the name match the face.

I definitely agree with the weight part.

I find it really silly on a CS because:
1. Just knowing my character's weight doesn't actually give you a good idea of what they look like - everyone holds their weight differently.
2. Half the time people don't actually know healthy weights and height. One time a girl had put her character was 5'8, 60 Ibs and I was more concerned for that character than anything else when I read that.
3. It's just overall the most inefficient way to talk about a character's body type. Unless the character is specifically going through a weightloss journey, or needs to gain weight for something then I... don't care about their weight at all.

Tbh, it is far more useful to describe their bodytype and how they hold their weight. Do they hold it on their belly? Their thighs? Their butt? Everyone holds weight differently and it is much more helpful for me to visualize if you say something like: "A little chubby with her weight being predominantly held in her thighs and bum" it would mean WAY more to me visually than: "180 Ibs"

Oh my god yes!!! Like it’s not even hard to Google “average weight for X height” or for that matter find an actor who is the height you want and Google their weight.

Murdergurl Murdergurl I don’t know why you assumed I meant real life? I was talking about your roleplay experiences.

I would say in roleplay your personality has led you to being very privileged compared to other roleplayers. Because you are a conflict based person in a conflict averse hobby. Most people in this hobby just aren’t equipped to fight back.

So by that metric the person who fights back is going to have a better experience then the people who don’t. That’s all I meant by privileged.

Anything where I'm expected to play canon characters. I've never enjoyed it and I never feel like I'm 100% writing the character accurately. Same reason why I haven't ever really written fanfic either. Also I find writing with canon characters kind of boring honestly, and I prefer original stories because to me there's more room for me to be creative. And while there are plenty of fandoms where I really like the universe and would like to write something in one, I just generally avoid fandom rps because playing canon characters is pretty much expected the majority of the time, at least in 1x1 settings.

Murdergurl Murdergurl I would say in roleplay your personality has led you to being very privileged compared to other roleplayers. Because you are a conflict based person in a conflict averse hobby. Most people in this hobby just aren’t equipped to fight back.

So by that metric the person who fights back is going to have a better experience then the people who don’t. That’s all I meant by privileged.
ya i agree she is just way too aggressive

im shaking and pissing my pants rn because i am a wussy RPer, defenceless

the priviliedge msut end

The conflict is simply not worth it. It's better to back down.

Multiverses make my mind putter out and die.

Multiverses make my mind putter out and die.
^THIS!
Multiverse RP is the most low-effort concept. It's like: "Hm, I can't decide what kind of RP to write, and I'm too unoriginal and lazy to actually create a setting and plot. So lets just open the faucet on everything and have anything go"

Super lame

When people request specific faceclaims. Like nope I’m not picking a visual just because you think it’s hot. It’s creepy.
Or have a bunch of preset and very specific roles to be filled by the other PCs. Like, I understand having a roster of occupations to choose from. Like for example, the crew of a starship. But I've seen RPs where the creator has made a list of ready-made characters for the other players to have to choose from. That's a hard pass from me.

Or have a bunch of preset and very specific roles to be filled by the other PCs. Like, I understand having a roster of occupations to choose from. Like for example, the crew of a starship. But I've seen RPs where the creator has made a list of ready-made characters for the other players to have to choose from. That's a hard pass from me.
That sounds like they just want other people to help them write their fanfiction and are gonna be overly controlling about how you choose to play your own character.

Why those people don't just write their own fiction by themselves, I don't know.

I have joined RP's in the past that had certain roles to fill, but they were about heists so it sort of made sense. Heists would have different people involved who have different expertise in different areas. In one of the ones I joined I was the hacker, for example. Basically the person who was responsible for shutting down all the electronic security systems and such.

Yep. I choose my own face claims for my characters. That is non-negotiable.

Absolutely. I don’t tell you how your character has to look (unless it’s like, hey maybe someone who fits the historical period OR a slightly better quality photo). So I don’t want you to be like :

Your character has to be a blonde blue eyed man who looks like Chris Evans.

Speaking of I does anyone else remember the days of pixelated anime images? Cuz those were rough.

That sounds like they just want other people to help them write their fanfiction and are gonna be overly controlling about how you choose to play your own character.

Why those people don't just write their own fiction by themselves, I don't know.
I wouldnt know what becomes of those RPs because it's a big ol' red flag and I've never bothered to join one. (and most of the time the premise isnt very interesting to me anyway)

But as someone who's been told to "go write a book" by other RPers (but not for the afore mentioned reasons), I can attest that RP writing and solo writing are two completely different animals.

I wouldnt know what becomes of those RPs because it's a big ol' red flag and I've never bothered to join one. (and most of the time the premise isnt very interesting to me anyway)

But as someone who's been told to "go write a book" by other RPers (but not for the afore mentioned reasons), I can attest that RP writing and solo writing are two completely different animals.
Oh absolutely, I both RP and have several solo projects going on, and many people REEAALLY underestimate just how different solo writing and RP writing is.

I was more referencing the fact that the people I have met that try to force a certain character on others tend to be so controlling about the entire roleplay and micromanaging every aspect that it is as if they want to write everything themselves. Like... I've dealt with people getting pissy at me for my character not reacting exactly how they wanted them to, as though I could read their damn minds and know exactly what they wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back