Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really what's making me angry, I just want to put this here. *Ahem* WHEN YOU BOTH SPEND SO MUCH TIME BUILDING UP THE WORLD/CHARACTERS/PLOT AND IT NEVER HAPPENS. I've had so many times when me and someone I know (not their fault most of the time) builds up everything and has things ready to go and. It. Never. Happens. *dies*

Or dies after one post each. x_x RIP

This has happened one too many times. One time it happened when me and someone else were the only two trying to keep the RP alive but it wasn't meant to be.
I had a fun character going too.

It's pretty common. It doesn't make me angry, just sad. I swear the majority of my best 1x1s started as a group rp where everyone else flaked.

I get frustrated when every little detail of the rp has to be brought up in OOC. For example “is it okay if my OC walks to the bar? Can they sit next to your OC?” I understand it’s out of courtesy but good grief, don’t be walking on eggshells! A good rp has some unplanned things as well as surprises. Maybe it’s just me but I’d rather things not be planned out and just go with it.

When you've spent the better part of three months working on an rp and just as you're about to post the interest check someone else posts something that's basically the same thing only much better written.

I swear to god, it happens like every time.
Try having works of media constantly popping up with the ideas you're using, making it look like you're actually ripping them off :P

Something I've come across before. When a partner can't do their opener without involving and controlling my character down to putting up their personality and speaking for them. You have enough on your plate to come up with an opener without needing to take over my character.

It can really get me out of it when someone has some sort of "epiphany" and suddenly decides to complain that other characters aren't acting according to what they think would be the best plan, regardless of the flaws of the characters, opinions of the other players, or even the needs of the roleplay.

Hypothetical Examples:

"Why does this extremely greedy person keep trying to swindle other people out of their money, don't they know they know money doesn't bring happiness?"

"Why didn't this person with clear issues of pride and anger management get upset just because of a little insult?"

"Why didn't this character do Y instead of X in this high pressure situation where their life is on the line when I was able to come up with Y?"

"Even though you think X is better than Y as a plan, why isn't your character doing what I think is best?"

"My character isn't going to do X. Just because X is litteraly what the premise of the whole roleplay is, that doesn't mean my character is actually going to do something that stupid."

Tied to this is the person who always ties a character being good or evil to modern human standards. Like the person who sees a deity-type of character as evil if they, oh I don't know, maybe have a cosmic scale and don't think much of mortal lives, especially when they can ressurrect all of that life with a blink? Or someone who values good and bad people in medieval times by the scale of values from the 21st century, and rates the success of kings and queens by their stance on arranged marriages.

Another thing is another player misinterpreting your character or their actions, then acting as if it was a fact nomatter how many times they are corrected, and acting as if their own perspective.

One person: My character punishes the souls of evildoers and controls an army of undead.
That player: This guy is literally Satan, they torment people for no reason, forever.
The One Person: They only torment evildoers and the undead aren't being tormented, they no souls or conscience of any kind.

New Person: *comes in* Who is this character?
That player: This guy is literally Satan....

One I was recently reminded of was people turning character showcases into dick waving contests
"Well, my character has lightning powers and skill in martial arts, so he's pretty good at fighting"
That guy: "Well my character could beat them because they are the strong and better at martial arts and have super skill! No I won't have them fight because they'll beat them easily"

Another thing is another player misinterpreting your character or their actions, then acting as if it was a fact nomatter how many times they are corrected, and acting as if their own
Have definitely had this problem in the past

Oh my goodness, to continue on to what I put on here (about spending so much time building a rp that ends up not happening). I found a file on my laptop that had A TWENTY MEMBER WOLF TRIBE THAT ME AND MY FRIEND WERE GOING TO INTRODUCE FOR IT TO NEVER HAPPEN. I gave them personalities, face claims, positions, and everything! Like, what the heck can I do with my babies now *tears-just tears8

When you have a small ruleset to follow and someone comes along and just disregards the entire ruleset, then wonders why you're mad.

Not hard, buddy.

Something Idea wrote in a different thread reminded me of something for this one.

It's not so much anger-inducing but more frustrating: When you're playing in a setting whose culture and language is different from the one you're writing in... let's for the purposes of clarity say you're writing in English and the RP is set in Japan... and someone decides that even though there are perfectly good English words for things, that they are going to put Japanese words in everywhere they possibly can. It's like ... fine you know lots of words in Japanese... good for you, but is this helping the other players understand what you are talking about?

If a word is genuinely untranslatable or it's occasional flavour text then sure go for it, but it's also good to put an explanation as to what the thing is in English subtly as part of the text if it's not a word generally known.

An exception is if it's terminology from an anime and you're in a fandom RP. I don't think anyone's going to mind that.

The whole thing feels like gatekeeping, as well as extreme smugness.

Extra bonus points if they get the words wrong. Smh.

Last edited:
See the problem is I have had people who did encourage me to tell them if I was bored/wanting to leave/busy/etc. Only to turn around and get super nasty if I tried to get out of the roleplay. Like either throw a fit or keep hounding at me until I finally had to get blunt about leaving. Then turn around and whine about what a bitch I am.

So I mean I get why for some people it might just be easier to check out rather than risk potential drama.
I've been ghosted or ignored too many times to really care if there's drama packaged with a goodbye. We're writers. We know how to communicate.

I've been ghosted or ignored too many times to really care if there's drama packaged with a goodbye. We're writers. We know how to communicate.

I used to suffer social anxiety and I would end up in tears, like actually crying, because people would start some random bullshit because the roleplay wasn't going according to their wants. And it wasn't something that I just shrugged off as a necessary component to roleplaying. It made me quit for a long time because I just couldn't handle the stress.

So for me it's not about being a writer. I don't actually consider myself a writer at all in the first place. I think of roleplaying more like playing pretend than I do as a writing exercise. I also don't consider it a communication issue. I consider it to be more in line with a preference. In that your preferences are built on your experience and what makes roleplaying a enjoyable experience for you. And since every person is difference their preferences are going to be different to.

One of my pet peeves is cowardice and not being straight [with me]. I value honesty and directness and I don't want a partner that doesn't have either. It's a trust thing.

^ Agreed
A lot of relationships have been killed because one of us wasn't liking what the other was doing or not liking the direction the RP was taking, until it was too late.

...Contrary to popular belief, l don’t like being angry or finding mostly the negative in things, especially RPing...

However when the GM has delved to posting 3 sentences per post in 3 weeks (and please note it’s not spell or grammar checked) because they’re busy with work and school and then turns around and doesn’t wait for anyone needing a bit of extra time (maybe they tow more than three sentences and have art for their post) as well as blaming others for why the rp hasn’t been posted in (as well as taking this long to post so few)...

I tend to really hate and get angry with RPers like that, let alone them being a GM.

I too feel that talking about things you love should be done more often, but at the time time it feels kinda fun to vent. Both are healthy in moderation. The way I see it:
If you talk only about things you love and never what's bad about them, you'll never see the flaws in things.
If you only talk about things you hate, you'll never have something that you like

However when the GM has delved to posting 3 sentences per post in 3 weeks (and please note it’s not spell or grammar checked) because they’re busy with work and school and then turns around and doesn’t wait for anyone needing a bit of extra time (maybe they tow more than three sentences and have art for their post) as well as blaming others for why the rp hasn’t been posted in (as well as taking this long to post so few)...

Also yeah, I had something like that. WOrst part is, I was one of those people long ago.

just_patches just_patches I guess so... I’d just rather spread what I love than what I hate, aheh...

Anyway. I’m gonna make it clear right here: If I mind the wait, it means I love the rp/interaction. I’ll poke a week after so I’m not nagging. I don’t mind life getting in the way. Heck, it has taken me three weeks to post, too. Granted said three week post was three pages with thirteen or so sketches (quest rp).

I mind when the person, GM or not, clearly has no drive for it and only cares about the rp in short bursts. Worse as a GM not checking in on others to post (kinda an important job). It’s fine if life gets in the way, but when it’s shelling out three sentences in three weeks... Just stop. That’s like giving a waiter a three cent tip.

If you can’t make time or don’t want to make time for your rp, please just don’t then. It keeps stringing along others who wanted to rp with you/ your story and trapping them in this rp that may never end.

Wert Wert
What makes that worse is when an idea you have sounds way cooler on paper but not so good in execution. It's happened a few times in the past. You start off excited and happy about the idea only to stop and say "...This isn't fun."

Wert Wert
What makes that worse is when an idea you have sounds way cooler on paper but not so good in execution. It's happened a few times in the past. You start off excited and happy about the idea only to stop and say "...This isn't fun."

I think this happens ALOT with fandoms. That moment where you realize what works in books or tv shows can’t be moved over to roleplays cuz they are very different mediums.

I definitely am guilty of this. Borrowing an idea I like in a book/movie/etc but when it’s time to roleplay it realizing the plot doesn’t work or it’s not as interesting,

RPs that ask your character to have powers, but will never give the situation to use them, mainly because they are slice of life, what brings up the question, Game Master, why the sheet model request powers them?

Most Group RPs.

You see, I am European, most my partners are Americans, there are 4-9 hours between me and them, depending on whether or not they are on daylight savings or not, depending on if they are east coast or west coast ETC. Here are a few problems i have with it

• Is there a posting order? Like Me first, then Kyle, then Julie. If so, if Julie suddenly has to go AFK, do we have to halt the RP to wait for her?
  • Is there not a posting order? Alright, i just went to see a doctor, i came back an hour later and now i am stuck either reading an hour's backlog or jumping into a situation i know nothing about
  • Who what when where why? How did i come into this situation? Why did i suddenly leave this situation? Are we just using portals? Do we just apparate?
  • Not everyone will be in every situation, and some situations require some people.
  • It's just a clusterfluck.

i don't know if someone has already brought this up, but people who often use faceclaims might understand this struggle.

when you find or think of the perfect faceclaim for a character, but then you go on the internet to search for pictures and gifs and there is nothing usable. feels bad, especially if you go through the effort of digging through the web and making your own pictures and gifs because you're really into the character and the thread doesn't take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back