Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, this hurts. I did that once. But I forgot to reply to that person and figured since they weren't interested in brainstorming something together, they wouldn't mind if I didn't respond. Chances are, after that "sure!" no one will go back to that conversation anyway.
Well, sounds like everything worked out fine for you huh?

Last edited:
I actually got bashed on for a plot idea between my character and a cannon character because it was too lore breaking. Which yeah it did break some lore but keep in mind I LOVE doing AU and exploring what would happen if circumstances were different. Although I do keep MOST things cannon (because we still need to recognize the world were in) there are some minor changes. Just enough to make it more believable if it actually happened. What pissed me off more is I've been told by numerous people it was an interesting plot. They were the only ones that had a problem with it and was saying that's why I was getting ghosted a lot.

I actually got bashed on for a plot idea between my character and a cannon character because it was too lore breaking. Which yeah it did break some lore but keep in mind I LOVE doing AU and exploring what would happen if circumstances were different. Although I do keep MOST things cannon (because we still need to recognize the world were in) there are some minor changes. Just enough to make it more believable if it actually happened. What pissed me off more is I've been told by numerous people it was an interesting plot. They were the only ones that had a problem with it and was saying that's why I was getting ghosted a lot.

Did you tell them it was going to be an AU plot? I can see getting upset if I'm being asked to play a canon and then told their going to be paired up to a lore breaking OC. As it can really feel frustrating when you have are trying to follow the character from canon and they're put in situations they shouldn't be in. But if you told them from jump that it was an AU than they have no reason to act as it's some big shock.

I mean either way they don't have to be rude about it. If I feel like someone is asking me to put a Canon character in a relationship I don't feel suits the character I just say so without being nasty. Ex. "I'm sorry this pairing doesn't fit my interpretation of the character but good luck in your search."

I have been looking for literal years for a Game of Thrones AU. It doesn't break the lore as it extends into things one sees in World of Ice and Fire, and it is designed to use only compatible concepts to the world of Planetos at large. And I still have gotten a bunch of crap for it, because RPers are both the best and the worst of people.

Did you tell them it was going to be an AU plot? I can see getting upset if I'm being asked to play a canon and then told their going to be paired up to a lore breaking OC. As it can really feel frustrating when you have are trying to follow the character from canon and they're put in situations they shouldn't be in. But if you told them from jump that it was an AU than they have no reason to act as it's some big shock.

I mean either way they don't have to be rude about it. If I feel like someone is asking me to put a Canon character in a relationship I don't feel suits the character I just say so without being nasty. Ex. "I'm sorry this pairing doesn't fit my interpretation of the character but good luck in your search."

Yes I did because I believe in being honest with people. All of my potential partners have known what to expect beforehand and many liked the idea. If they didnt they simply moved on without a word (in the case of me placing an add and them reading it). Only this one had a problem with it. I dont even ghost unless I have an EXTREMELY good reason for it because I feel its rude. So unless you're turning into an online stalker people know what to expect with me. I'm an open book. :)

Yes I did because I believe in being honest with people. All of my potential partners have known what to expect beforehand and many liked the idea. If they didnt they simply moved on without a word (in the case of me placing an add and them reading it). Only this one had a problem with it. I dont even ghost unless I have an EXTREMELY good reason for it because I feel its rude. So unless you're turning into an online stalker people know what to expect with me. I'm an open book. :)

I mean I think ghosting is a separate issue. In general it is a matter of social anxiety/insecurity on the part of the person who ghosts. Which is not directly affected by anything the person who was ghosted did or didn't do.

That said it just seems like the person wanted to roleplay their own agenda and got mad at you for not going along with it. It happens sometimes, especially in romance roleplays. People are so set on writing out their individual fantasy they get nasty when you dare to have a different opinion. It's especially annoying when their the ones contacting you.

I had a person give me a full rant about how they thought playing non-heterosexual pairings was a sin. To which I'm like..."Man you asked me to roleplay if you don't like my suggestions find someone else."

I confess to having ghosted someone recently. It's not something I usually do, and I did it because I was just not comfortable with what was happening. I was also concerned that I would wind up getting guilt-tripped or otherwise face passive aggression. I had voiced my worries and nothing really changed, so I just kinda... stopped responding. On one hand, I feel bad. But on the other, I didn't see anything changing and also just had a bad feeling.

People who start working on their character without making sure that their more "unique" ideas are fine with the GM.

Normally I wouldn't care but lately, I've seen a lot of people do this only to refuse to accept that their character gets denied since they "put so much effort into the character".

I've seen a lot of people do this only to refuse to accept that their character gets denied since they "put so much effort into the character".

OMG, this has happened to me a few times. I had someone completely blow past where I said that a given species was not okay as a starting character due to the species' complexity and amount of lore. She 1. chose a character image that was way, way inappropriate for the species, gave them all kinds of gamebreaking abilities and also gave them a back history that absolutely had no anchor to the world at large, let alone the species she was trying to play. I tried to be as kind as I could about it and she lost her mind and acted as though I had hauled her out in front of the whole site to mock her. Whyyyy don't people ask the GM before doing things like this?

People who start working on their character without making sure that their more "unique" ideas are fine with the GM.

Normally I wouldn't care but lately, I've seen a lot of people do this only to refuse to accept that their character gets denied since they "put so much effort into the character".
I do kind of all into this admitedly, though I can see where you're coming from. Some character ideas just don't work and I suppose myself and plenty of others could definitely double check more things with GMs.

That said, I can also tell you the angle of "I put so much work into this", because at least in my case it's not like I refuse to make changes to the character's specifics, but being forced to alter the central pillar of the character without the GM even trying to see if there is a way to make it work, or worse, just refusing the character because they personally aren't a fan of my idea without that character actually presenting any issue other than that, that's just a no go. I do check on how things work with the world and the lore and everything, and if I feel like there are doubts about anything I do try to doublecheck, though as mentioned previously I don't double-check everything. I tend to quit when this happens because of either frustration at the wasted time or because I can't trust the GM not to suddenly throw my work into the trashbin without so much as trying to find a way to tweak it to work better.

The ish was that the player I mention above seemed to want me to redo a huge piece of the heavily-documented lore and also break rules that had already been set forth. On top of that, she wanted some things that I had already said no on to other people. It's still important to respect a gameworld and the rules of the game. The person wrote one character. I have written an entire planet with ecosystems and a geopolitical structure, created multiple player races and species, and done a lot of other work that supports the game, even if the players don't go into a deep enough dive to see some of what went into it. This specific game takes place on a planet that I built from the accretion disk and stellar primaries on up. But she was soooo into what she had written that I needed to gut a large part of my own lore? Newp.

The ish was that the player I mention above seemed to want me to redo a huge piece of the heavily-documented lore and also break rules that had already been set forth. On top of that, she wanted some things that I had already said no on to other people. It's still important to respect a gameworld and the rules of the game. The person wrote one character. I have written an entire planet with ecosystems and a geopolitical structure, created multiple player races and species, and done a lot of other work that supports the game, even if the players don't go into a deep enough dive to see some of what went into it. This specific game takes place on a planet that I built from the accretion disk and stellar primaries on up. But she was soooo into what she had written that I needed to gut a large part of my own lore? Newp.
Before I say anything, I say anything I just want to be sure if this is a response to me? Since you didn't quote I'm not 100% sure.

Also, I take it that by "ish" you mean "issue"?

Issue, yes. If what you said wasn't directed to me, feel free to disregard! I had thought it was.
I see, I see. It was directed at Zipper Man Zipper Man (hence quoting them in my post), my apologies for any confusion.

On a sidenote though, I absolutely agree with you regarding the situation you mentioned. Especially as a big worldbuilding fan myself, a character that entirely disregards how the world functions just to do their own thing is a bit of an atrocity I would say.

a character that entirely disregards how the world functions just to do their own thing is a bit of an atrocity I would say.

And so completely out-there. It had been beaten into everyone's head that demons were the main antagonists. The species in question had a demon as a very ancient ancestor, and through this, they were the most sensitive to harbingers of said demon's return. To play one of these descendents, one would really need to go through all the lore to handle such a character correctly. The player did not one single part of that. She saw 'they have some demon heritage' and jumped on that because she wanted to play one of the hypersexualized succubus characters that are all too common in media like manga/anime. No slam to manga and anime intended... these are not at all that kind of demon at all. And man, did she throw a fit!!

That said, I can also tell you the angle of "I put so much work into this", because at least in my case it's not like I refuse to make changes to the character's specifics, but being forced to alter the central pillar of the character without the GM even trying to see if there is a way to make it work, or worse, just refusing the character because they personally aren't a fan of my idea without that character actually presenting any issue other than that, that's just a no go
First, I should probably clarify that I don't expect people to doublecheck everything. Just major things that are gonna have a large impact of either the plot or the lore.

Secondly, I totally understand pulling the "I've put so much work into this" card in cases like the ones you describe (Heck, I've done it myself a couple of times), my issue with it is that I've seen people use it to try and get their character accepted even when there's no way to make it work in the rp.

First, I should probably clarify that I don't expect people to doublecheck everything. Just major things that are gonna have a large impact of either the plot or the lore.

Secondly, I totally understand pulling the "I've put so much work into this" card in cases like the ones you describe (Heck, I've done it myself a couple of times), my issue with it is that I've seen people use it to try and get their character accepted even when there's no way to make it work in the rp.
I see. If it's about that then yeah. Nobody is entitled to have their character accepted.

Pet Peeve of the Week: Good concepts that I can't read because the formatting they chose is compressed in a fancy layout and in a really really small font.

Pet Peeve of the Week: Good concepts that I can't read because the formatting they chose is compressed in a fancy layout and in a really really small font.
Step 1: Press “reply” button on the post
Step 2: Disable rich editor

You get the raw version of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back