Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
rae2nerdy rae2nerdy

And my point is that messaging them specifically to criticize something they’re asking for in interest checks isn’t your job. If the topic matter isn’t against RPN’s rules (and therefore the dominion of the staff) then it shouldn’t invite someone to randomly PM to criticize their choices—kindly worded or no.

Again, if it comes up in natural conversation that’s one thing... but why on earth reply to someone’s interest check when the content they’re after is something you fundamentally disagree with? It makes no sense to me. There are SO many people on here that pretty much everyone can find a partner that suits them perfectly. No need to compromise.

Then again, that’s just my opinion and we can agree to disagree. That’s the beauty of life... not everyone has to agree with each other haha :)

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy

And my point is that messaging them specifically to criticize something they’re asking for in interest checks isn’t your job. If the topic matter isn’t against RPN’s rules (and therefore the dominion of the staff) then it shouldn’t invite someone to randomly PM to criticize their choices—kindly worded or no.

Again, if it comes up in natural conversation that’s one thing... but why on earth reply to someone’s interest check when the content they’re after is something you fundamentally disagree with? It makes no sense to me. There are SO many people on here that pretty much everyone can find a partner that suits them perfectly. No need to compromise.

Then again, that’s just my opinion and we can agree to disagree. That’s the beauty of life... not everyone has to agree with each other haha :)

Ah I see where the problem is. I wasn't talking about contacting someone specifically to criticize them. I was talking about how to interact with someone who has interests you don't agree with in a respectful way.

For instance I had a previous partner who had an idea that I really liked but who wanted the pairing to be an abusive one. I messaged her saying that I really liked her idea but that I found the abusive pairing to be problematic. Because my mom had dated men with the exact personality she was asking for and they had been horribly demeaning and unpleasant individuals. So while I was uncomfortable playing an abusive male I had no problem playing a more stoic or blunt individual as a romantic interest.

This was me contacting someone not to criticise them purely because I don't like abusive romance. It was me contacting someone about an idea I like but just giving my own personal comfort level and reasoning for not wanting to portray a romance a certain way. The individual in question was actually perfectly happy to work with me and the two of us had a pleasant experience.

That's what I'm talking about. Letting someone know that there might be an aspect of their request you are not comfort level in a respectful manner. Also offering to compromise wherever possible so that both individuals can roleplay their own preferences.

Ah yes, I see. That wasn’t the context of the initial debate (since it started with a discussion related specifically to interest checks where someone prefers a M x F pairings and gets flak for it) so I didn't follow what you were talking about.

Doing it the way you suggested is perfectly fine, but if that person said "oh, no, I really want to explore the aspects of an abusive relationship" then that is perfectly reasonable and acceptable for them to do as well. If I see someone posting something that's not within my comfort zone then I don't contact them, even if it's a plot I like (possible exception for really minor stuff), as I want them to get to explore their idea in the way that they envision it without forcing my own preferences onto them. Just like if I have a plot and someone approaches me wanting to change elements of it because they aren't keen on it... it's entirely likely that I'll decline.
Not always true, but my point here is that it isn't fair to criticize/condemn/whatever someone for not wanting to bend over backwards to change their plot for someone else--no one is required to do that, nor should they be. And that goes both ways.

Ultimately, what I was replying to in here initially was this quote of yours in reply to norway
I think it's in how it's presented. A lot of time when people talk about "I can't play a character whose life experiences I haven't lived." It makes it seem like they are asking their partners to do something they aren't willing to do themselves. Because those exact same people are going to want their partner to do the exact thing they aren't willing to do.

They are going to want their partner to play a gender/sexuality/ethnicity/etc. that might not line up with their partners lived experience. But it's totally fine that the partner has to do that because that means that the requester doesn't have to go out of their comfort zone.
I should have quoted from the start to make it more clear, I realize that now lol.
But basically my point in all this is very simply: if someone asks/wants something that you're not into/comfortable with, then don't roleplay with them. Complaining about it or asking them to change makes no sense when you can find someone who DOES match up with your preferences. And if you absolutely MUST ask them to go against their preferences because you like their plot idea then it's not on them if they don't want to be accommodating.

I think that sort of sums it up lol.

I don't know how to put it, (and my attempt to do so will probably make me sound incredibly stuck-up) but I'm kind of sick what seems to happen in nearly every RP with freeform magic. People will say "my character has magic that lets her control fire" and... that's not magic. That's a superpower. If magic existed in real life, nobody would try to become the master of one specific force of nature to the point that they can use it just by thinking about it. Everyone would dabble in whatever makes their lifestyle the most convenient. Even if someone learned magic for combat purposes, they'd spread their spells out farther than just fire in case they fought an opponent immune to a specific type of attack. And actually being forced to take the time casting spells is the only reason why people would pick a weapon over magic, but that gets overlooked in favor of using both at the same time because cool.

It's even worse when it's in a fandom rp. Like BnHA? The quirks are written to be of a specific caliber and ruleset, but people frequently ignore those standards in favor of doing the above. I've seen so many characters whose quirk weaknesses are that they're hard to control, even though in canon the characters have to practice to get their powers strong enough to be useful. Of the only two canon characters with that same weakness, one has a quirk that's a separate entity and only acts up under specific circumstances, while the other is treated as having a disability. But no. It's way cooler to have powers that are too strong for your own good.

And in RWBY, (at least before the fight scenes got bad) the magic analogue come from an external resource that's super expensive and also hard to use directly, forcing most of the cast to fight using weaponry and skill. What does everyone do? Give their characters superpowers that mimic the effects of the resource.

It's really easy to see why I fell for tabletop games so hard and so fast. The magic systems in the ones that have them are based on practicality instead of ostentatiousness.

Anyways, this turned out exactly as bitter as I predicted it to, but like. I'm so tired.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R

See I just always ask them to give me specific examples of what they mean by "Fire". I mean do they make fire, do they see the future in fire, are they like a firebender, etc.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R

See I just always ask them to give me specific examples of what they mean by "Fire". I mean do they make fire, do they see the future in fire, are they like a firebender, etc.
The types of people that do this usually claim that their character has complete control over fire, sometimes to the point where they should just have their character know other types of magic. Such as somehow being able to make fire solid to pick up objects instead of just using levitation magic. And this happens in pretty much every rp that it can be done in, so most of the time I'm not in a position of power to get the people doing it to stop, so I either have to do something similar with my character to avoid being massively underpowered or quit.

And, for the record, I'm not saying these types of characters shouldn't exist at all. A character that can do tons of weird crap with fire would work well in a gritty superhero rp where people like her are feared, or a mythological fantasy where she's one of the gifted heroes whose deeds people write songs about. But in a swords-and-sorcery type setting where magic can be invested in other, more convenient uses? No. A superhero high school anime centered around the characters trying to get the most out of niche powers? Why bother.

I don't really understand where your distinctions between "magic" and "superpowers" begin and end? Surely the only difference is the theme and setting of the rp? Turning invisible is a superpower if you're in MCU but it's a magical power in a high fantasy setting. Magic doesn't necessarily have to involve spells or artefacts, and I don't get why you think controlling fire/firebending or w/e is not magic? Can you explain this further.

If magic existed in real life, nobody would try to become the master of one specific force of nature to the point that they can use it just by thinking about it.
I get your general idea and all (In fact, I sort of agree with it), but this point is like saying that if everyone in the world had access to a massive dessert buffet, nobody would pick flan. Or that in a world with scary monsters, there wouldn’t be at least one person who want to get in bed with them. There’s always gonna be outliers, man.

The types of people that do this usually claim that their character has complete control over fire, sometimes to the point where they should just have their character know other types of magic. Such as somehow being able to make fire solid to pick up objects instead of just using levitation magic. And this happens in pretty much every rp that it can be done in, so most of the time I'm not in a position of power to get the people doing it to stop, so I either have to do something similar with my character to avoid being massively underpowered or quit.

And, for the record, I'm not saying these types of characters shouldn't exist at all. A character that can do tons of weird crap with fire would work well in a gritty superhero rp where people like her are feared, or a mythological fantasy where she's one of the gifted heroes whose deeds people write songs about. But in a swords-and-sorcery type setting where magic can be invested in other, more convenient uses? No. A superhero high school anime centered around the characters trying to get the most out of niche powers? Why bother.

Well that’s why I pin them down to specifics. If they can’t tell me specifically how their powers work I treat them like a drunken boast. Like sure buddy you can rewrite reality, maybe lay off some of that hard liquor.

As to sword and sorcery I don’t think magic being convenient is a requirement. Because people don’t always get to choose the means by which they channel cosmic forces. Sometimes that shit is going to be difficult, dangerous, useless, or some combination of the lot.

By far the bigger problem isn’t that such magic doesn’t fit it’s that the player doesn't understand that magic isn’t the same as instant gratification. People like this think magic means no rules and I can do whatever I want.

But magic is like being an artist. You have some innate talent that is strengthen through practice/training.

This is true for super powers too. Power doesn’t mean I do whatever I want without consequence. It means my character has a talent they improved over their lifetime for X purpose.

When people write in interest checks:

"I could be convinced to join.."

What do you want me to do? Preform a handstand whilst my fellow co-writers throw flaming knives between my legs; all the meanwhile wearing neon-facepaint and singing the Soviet National anthem? - I think that would entice them since the interest check wasn't enough. xD

Last edited:
I don't really understand where your distinctions between "magic" and "superpowers" begin and end? Surely the only difference is the theme and setting of the rp? Turning invisible is a superpower if you're in MCU but it's a magical power in a high fantasy setting. Magic doesn't necessarily have to involve spells or artefacts, and I don't get why you think controlling fire/firebending or w/e is not magic? Can you explain this further.
It's poor word choice on my part. I have a hard time describing my thoughts because disability. When I referred to magic, I was talking about the kind in Harry Potter, for example, where, in order to bring an object to you, you have to say "accio" followed by the name of the object while pointing at it with your wand. That's all you can do with it. If you want to move an object to another part of the room that isn't where you're standing, you have to use another spell.
By "superpowers", I meant the specific "[thing]kinesis" type of power where a character has complete domain over a specific substance or effect, (usually referred to as their "element") which they can manipulate at will, but the users of these abilities often can't or don't have the ability to do anything other than control their element. While this type of ability can be considered magic depending on the setting, such as bending in Avatar, in a world where magic works like in Harry Potter, being able to magically replicate pyrokinesis is simultaneously a master-level skill and cripplingly overspecialized.
I get your general idea and all (In fact, I sort of agree with it), but this point is like saying that if everyone in the world had access to a massive dessert buffet, nobody would pick flan. Or that in a world with scary monsters, there wouldn’t be at least one person who want to get in bed with them. There’s always gonna be outliers, man.
That's totally fair. Exceptions define the rule and flan is the food of the gods regardless of what my parents say. It just irks me that everyone does this all the time.
Well that’s why I pin them down to specifics. If they can’t tell me specifically how their powers work I treat them like a drunken boast. Like sure buddy you can rewrite reality, maybe lay off some of that hard liquor.

As to sword and sorcery I don’t think magic being convenient is a requirement. Because people don’t always get to choose the means by which they channel cosmic forces. Sometimes that shit is going to be difficult, dangerous, useless, or some combination of the lot.

By far the bigger problem isn’t that such magic doesn’t fit it’s that the player doesn't understand that magic isn’t the same as instant gratification. People like this think magic means no rules and I can do whatever I want.

But magic is like being an artist. You have some innate talent that is strengthen through practice/training.

This is true for super powers too. Power doesn’t mean I do whatever I want without consequence. It means my character has a talent they improved over their lifetime for X purpose.
NGL I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

When people act like they are most awesome thing that has ever come to roleplay, that it is a privilege to write with them because their writing will one day next week reach the New York Times best sellers list. Ah, no. Nope.

It irks me when people are needlessly vague on what they want from their partner in their interest check. For example, a lot of people tend to have "must contribute to the worldbuilding" as a requirement, but that can mean anything from writing a few throwaway lines in your character's backstory to spending two weeks researching medieval church doors.

It's poor word choice on my part. I have a hard time describing my thoughts because disability. When I referred to magic, I was talking about the kind in Harry Potter, for example, where, in order to bring an object to you, you have to say "accio" followed by the name of the object while pointing at it with your wand. That's all you can do with it. If you want to move an object to another part of the room that isn't where you're standing, you have to use another spell.
By "superpowers", I meant the specific "[thing]kinesis" type of power where a character has complete domain over a specific substance or effect, (usually referred to as their "element") which they can manipulate at will, but the users of these abilities often can't or don't have the ability to do anything other than control their element. While this type of ability can be considered magic depending on the setting, such as bending in Avatar, in a world where magic works like in Harry Potter, being able to magically replicate pyrokinesis is simultaneously a master-level skill and cripplingly overspecialized.

That's totally fair. Exceptions define the rule and flan is the food of the gods regardless of what my parents say. It just irks me that everyone does this all the time.

NGL I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Basically that your problem seems to be people using Nonsense characters in a Logical world. To explain, I look at all magical worlds (and superhero worlds) as existing on a sliding scale between Nonsense and Logic.

So Nonsense is basically a world where there are no rules. Your character can do whatever you want, limited only by your imagination. If you want them to control reality, turn back time, shoot lasers out of their eyes, or turn into a pumpkin all of that is totally possible and no big deal.

Logic on the other hand is a world where everything is grounded. It might not necessarily be connected to our world but it has it's own strict rules of how things work. Magic works one specific way and no way else. For example say you have a world where magic is used through magic words. If you don't know the specific word to make something happen than you can't do that magic.

Now the problem is that a lot of people want to make a character that doesn't fit into the rules of their world. They'll take a Nonsense concept (my character can do whatever because I say so) and try to fit it in a world run by Logic. And it doesn't make sense because the character doesn't fit the rules of that world.

But if you took that same character and put it in a Nonsense world than they would be fine.

Basically that your problem seems to be people using Nonsense characters in a Logical world. To explain, I look at all magical worlds (and superhero worlds) as existing on a sliding scale between Nonsense and Logic.

So Nonsense is basically a world where there are no rules. Your character can do whatever you want, limited only by your imagination. If you want them to control reality, turn back time, shoot lasers out of their eyes, or turn into a pumpkin all of that is totally possible and no big deal.

Logic on the other hand is a world where everything is grounded. It might not necessarily be connected to our world but it has it's own strict rules of how things work. Magic works one specific way and no way else. For example say you have a world where magic is used through magic words. If you don't know the specific word to make something happen than you can't do that magic.

Now the problem is that a lot of people want to make a character that doesn't fit into the rules of their world. They'll take a Nonsense concept (my character can do whatever because I say so) and try to fit it in a world run by Logic. And it doesn't make sense because the character doesn't fit the rules of that world.

But if you took that same character and put it in a Nonsense world than they would be fine.
That's... actually pretty damn close. I guess it all just boils down to people going overboard with Rule of Cool.

It irks me when people are needlessly vague on what they want from their partner in their interest check. For example, a lot of people tend to have "must contribute to the worldbuilding" as a requirement, but that can mean anything from writing a few throwaway lines in your character's backstory to spending two weeks researching medieval church doors.

It really boils down to talking with the person though. It depends on what type of role-play you're planning on doing with someone. If it's a more detailed rp, it's understandable to spend the "two weeks researching medieval church doors". If it's something more casual, then the research wouldn't be heavily focused on. It's just there to say that they want a partner who will contribute as much as they do.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R
I really feel where you're coming, especially as it relates to BNHA roleplays. I've been in many BNHA rps where characters have these amazing quirks, but the weaknesses does very little to balance it out at all. I'm not saying it's bad to have really cool quirks, but if it's doing things like creating black holes then there needs to be some heavy restriction or limiters on that ability. Although, what I think is worse is when there is a list of weaknesses, but as soon as the rp starts, those weaknesses are thrown out the window and or revised to the point where it can't even be considered a weakness anymore. Although I'm referencing BNHA specifically, this can go for a lot of superhero rps that have a heavy focus on teens or new heroes developing their skills.

On another note, another pet peeve of mine is when people ignore your post despite having quoted them or ping them, especially when we're in a group rp (don't see how this can happen in a 1x1, but eh.) It hasn't happen on here, but there been quite a few instances where I quoted a person while three or more of our characters are interacting and then their next post completely ignores my characters interaction with them and focuses on their friend's post. I don't care if my character is just mentioned, but at least take note that an interaction did happen, I'm not rping with myself.

here's what's making me mildly upset (it's not that big of a deal to make me angry, tbh) today: when someone likes a search thread, hearts it, whatever, but doesn't respond to the thread/interest inquiry. like, why did you bother even liking my thread? was it to tell me you liked my ideas but not me? you liked me but not my ideas? all it does is just confuse me beyond belief. idk, maybe it's just a personal thing, but i don't see the point of liking a search thread and then not expressing interest? dunno. that's what's making me mildly upset today.

here's what's making me mildly upset (it's not that big of a deal to make me angry, tbh) today: when someone likes a search thread, hearts it, whatever, but doesn't respond to the thread/interest inquiry. like, why did you bother even liking my thread? was it to tell me you liked my ideas but not me? you liked me but not my ideas? all it does is just confuse me beyond belief. idk, maybe it's just a personal thing, but i don't see the point of liking a search thread and then not expressing interest? dunno. that's what's making me mildly upset today.

I'm rather guilty of this, I thought it more so of giving a big thumbs up to a interest check that, whilst I don't have the time to join or it isn't quite what i'm looking for. If think it's a great idea, (Usually I pick the light-bulb icon-thingy) then it's just a little something to say "Hi, this sounds really cool and I wish you the absolute best!" without properly engaging / risking that confusing thing of posting on the interest check but not actually be interested in joining. :P

I would absolutely do this if I thought the rp looked cool but I can't commit to it/don't want to make a character but I appreciated that someone was making an awesome thing. There's no point cluttering up their thread with "I love this but I don't have time right now" or whatever, because they want active interest not loads of replies saying that people don't want to join.

It reminds me of when someone is offering commissions on deviantart or something and they have 100 comments saying "I would but I don't have any money" well don't reply then, genius, lol. It's a huge waste of the artist's time to read all of those.

Anyway for me it's an expression of approval without actually wanting to join the rp. :)

Like the ones above me, I too have done this a couple of times. It was mostly when an interest check just had me metaphorically drooling all over it, only for some detail about it to make it so that person or roleplay was actually incompatible with my roleplaying style so RPing with them wouldn't work out well.

When people think all of your time has to be devoted to replying to a roleplay and to them. They don't seem to understand or don't care about you having a life outside of the roleplay. They have no patience, it's all about what they want, when they want it.

Romantic doubling is a big one- it always feels like they're half-assing a character just so they can have the character romance they originally wanted and "appease you" in the process.
A bigger one is lack of patience and wanting daily posts or responses. Like, I do have a life outside of this. It gets busy. Sometimes responding to messages and even more so posting just isn't realistic daily. Sometimes it is. If you freak out because I haven't posted in a week it gets really discouraging- like I shouldn't even be here if I can't dedicate my entire life to it.

When people think all of your time has to be devoted to replying to a roleplay and to them. They don't seem to understand or don't care about you having a life outside of the roleplay. They have no patience, it's all about what they want, when they want it.

I have a life outside of roleplaying? What kind of heresy is this!? xD

Romantic doubling is a big one- it always feels like they're half-assing a character just so they can have the character romance they originally wanted and "appease you" in the process.
A bigger one is lack of patience and wanting daily posts or responses. Like, I do have a life outside of this. It gets busy. Sometimes responding to messages and even more so posting just isn't realistic daily. Sometimes it is. If you freak out because I haven't posted in a week it gets really discouraging- like I shouldn't even be here if I can't dedicate my entire life to it.

See I get the other side of romantic doubling where they just cannot believe that you don't want to roleplay the exact same way as them. Like they act as if everyone wants to roleplay out their own crush on some specific type of character (a male or a canon usually). So they keep insisting that I have to pick my own love interest so that things are fair. And meanwhile I'm flat out telling them, "I don't have love interests in roleplays. If you want me to play a character for you that's fine but I don't want to make two characters."

It's so bananas to me when even if I do give in and pick a "love interest" they end up half-assing that character anyway. Like dude I have said from the beginning I didn't want extra half-assed characters. But no you had to make it all about you and your interests and then have the nerve to tell me your doing me a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back