Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people don't stick to an agreed limit? My time has been busier since I got into uni and I'm only able to join RPs that has once a week posting requirement or less. Once a week. I can post just once a week, right? Like I can post on Sunday then on another Sunday.

Me: Posted!

Four days later

GM: Hey uh can you post.
Me: What?
GM: Well if you can't post tomorrow I need to skip you sorry I don't want to hold back the plot.
Me: I'm a bit busy right now.
GM: So you can't?

No Karen I can't post right now you should have told me you use Aztec Calendar where a week is FIVE EFFING DAYS INSTEAD OF SEVEN
I feel you on a microscopic level. Like the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell kinda level.
I hate when people don't at least wait a week for me to post before sending me a pm asking
me if somethings wrong and why I'm not posting. Like something dire must have happened that's
causing me not the post. Especially if it after like two days. Like chill, this is a hobby, not a job.
If you need to move the plot then move the plot, I'll catch up, but don't nag me about it.
So yeah, that annoys me too. I feel ya pain fam. I feel ya pain.

People who suddenly stop responding to your PM's and or attempts to talk with them in the OOC thread (even if you @ them) and then accuse you of ghosting them when you don't post in the IC as a result.

Writers who don't know the difference between hatred and apathy.
If your character is apathetic towards someone, it means that have no feelings at all towards them be it negative or positive. They are detached, they are totally indifferent, they actually couldn't care less if they are happy or angry. They don't have an opinion of them or their interests, and going out of their way to be an asshole towards the other character doesn't make sense.
"My character is apathetic towards people and hates everyone. So, they're going to be an asshole to everyone on purpose because they don't feel bad about it."
I repeat: Your character isn't apathetic if they hate everyone. Apathy is a lack of emotion at all, not just a lack of positive emotions. Again, going out of their way to be an asshole to someone they don't sympathize with because they hate them isn't being apathetic. If they're just doing what they do and they come off as an asshole, that's different because there's no effort put in to involving themselves with someone they are indifferent towards.
Want to make your character an asshole with a lot of hatred and little empathy? Go ahead, but that's not apaThEtic.

Oh. Another one of these. Alright, I have an addiction to these kinds of threads so I'll hang around here to.

I don't like when people god mod.

Neither does anyone else but I had to make the post relevant.

Role-play Elitists.

People that treat role-play as a competition and advertise how they're the greatest ever. People tend to forgot that role-play is supposed to be fun, entertaining, and above all else...collaborative story-writing.

Selfish role-player owners

I cannot stand servers or forums where the role-play is centered around there character. I can't. It drives me batty and if I sense it -- I leave immediately.

Current RP pet peeve ticking me off: RP partners who sit and whine about not having anyone to RP with when they habitually drop every single thread that doesn't turn into a ship or their character being the complete focal point, ghost people at random, pick arguments in groups and have to run the show even if it's not their show to run. Like... gee I wonder why people don't bother even trying anymore.

I feel like i cant find anyone to genuinely PLOT with, and create a elaborate story as a TEAM and not a 'i do all the work while you sit on your ass, give 2 word answers and agree with everything i say like an emotionless robot'

I feel like i cant find anyone to genuinely PLOT with, and create a elaborate story as a TEAM and not a 'i do all the work while you sit on your ass, give 2 word answers and agree with everything i say like an emotionless robot'
First, awesome, I love the name. Second, I feel you fam.

Bear Fam for the win my dude. I sincerely appreciate someone agreeing with me on this.
Bear Fam for the win, I agree. And of course, it can be heard when you're really trying to make a plot
that both of you can enjoy, but they're not really giving any ideas. It's great to be polite, but
sometimes you want some other input.

Bear Fam for the win, I agree. And of course, it can be heard when you're really trying to make a plot
that both of you can enjoy, but they're not really giving any ideas. It's great to be polite, but
sometimes you want some other input.

YES ABSOLUTELY I have been working on my own custom world for a while now, and i want someone to roleplay in it with me, but i still have it being drawn so, i cant exactly use the map just yet but yeah, i wanna find someone who will get excited WITH ME

Using their characters to play a power fantasy. I find this comes in many forms, such as giving specific, well thought out powers but when asked for weaknesses they put something trite, or generic. Hell, someone even put mortality in as a weakness. I'd get that in the correct context that's fine, but come on, especially if it's combat based. Mortality should be a given. Ugh, it just screams lazy and self-centered to me.
Basically an affirmation to an earlier post that said RPing is about collaborative effort, not imposing your fantasy on others then getting miffed if they resist. Eugh. @.@

Using their characters to play a power fantasy. I find this comes in many forms, such as giving specific, well thought out powers but when asked for weaknesses they put something trite, or generic. Hell, someone even put mortality in as a weakness. I'd get that in the correct context that's fine, but come on, especially if it's combat based. Mortality should be a given. Ugh, it just screams lazy and self-centered to me.
Basically an affirmation to an earlier post that said RPing is about collaborative effort, not imposing your fantasy on others then getting miffed if they resist. Eugh. @.@

I agree with this in so many ways, because when you have a 'normal' character who hasnt been chipped at, and widdled into a more flawed character then you dont have a character. You have a blank canvas that REALLY iritates the people who put ALOT of effort into theirs. HOURS AND DAYS, just to get little to nothing back. I love reading other peoples characters, but its a problem when they are overpowered and too perfect.

When someone goes and writes a CS for a game, or tries to waste the GM's time by asking help building a CS because they are trying to join a game that they don't have a character concept idea for (and therefore shouldn't be joining if they don't know what to create), and then after all of that work they leave because suddenly they realize due to work/school they won't have time to commit to the story. They not only wasted their time but the GM's time. Funny enough, you'll see that same player joining another game right after, probably to do that same thing to that GM. People.

My biggest peeve at the moment is having partners who offer nothing to progress the plot. Getting responses that only react to what my character has said or done. I really enjoy world, character and plot development but doing it on my own, for the entire time becomes a chore. Also when I insist that some decisions are made either jointly or by my partner, they request gets ignored or they ghost.

I feel this so strongly. I don't mind taking the lead but if your sole contribution to the roleplay is a one dimensional character and one word answers to OOC questions than I might as well be writing fanfiction.

Heck I'd be happier writing fanfiction because I would probably get more feedback from a beta reader in terms of plot creation and world building than I would from my so called roleplay partner.

Something I have observed over time and something I don't get, I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but I've seen people and have had them express interest in either request threads I have done or others though when it comes to putting in effort they don't want to do a damn thing. They contact others looking to roleplay ideas or have interest in ideas but don't give that impression of actually wanting to roleplay. I mean if I see someone's request thread with plots or ideas I find interesting I'm going to make sure they know I'm interested by giving ideas and putting in effort otherwise what's the point of even contacting them to roleplay in the first place?

I kinda have a little list that been urkin' me recently:

1. When a group rp centers around a few certain individuals while the other characters are just relegated to the sidelines almost like supporting cast to the the "protagonists". I understand wanting to have a character arc and maybe focusing around a few characters at a time to help with development, but when you push aside other people's characters just to constantly shine the protagonist spotlight on a few it just make me really annoyed. People are here to roleplay with you not for you.

2. People disregarding the post order. Lets say your character is currently chatting with about two other people, and so person 1 goes first, you go second, and person 2 goes last just so you can keep some consistency with your replies and your partners have a chance to put input without having to forcefully shove it in later. You hop off for a day and then you return to see that there are now six posts between the two characters while yours has been standing in the background mute the entire time. I don't post as fast as other people, but I still get my post out in a timely manner. There's no rule saying you have to follow a post order or more so wait for everyone involved to post, but at least give people a few days to respond before going on without them.

3. GM's who don't well ... GM. What I mean are those GMs that don't moderate the rp and allow every little thing to slide regardless of complaints and issues brought up by their members. There have been numerous times where I've left rps because the GM adamantly refused to do anything about the problems brought to them or simply ignored it all together. Really kills an rp.

4. The return of Mary Sues and Gary Stus, self-explanatory.

That's about it. Pretty sure these have already been mentioned, but really wanted to get that off my chest. At the moment, I think two and three are what frustrates me the most.

I kinda have a little list that been urkin' me recently:

1. When a group rp centers around a few certain individuals while the other characters are just relegated to the sidelines almost like supporting cast to the the "protagonists". I understand wanting to have a character arc and maybe focusing around a few characters at a time to help with development, but when you push aside other people's characters just to constantly shine the protagonist spotlight on a few it just make me really annoyed. People are here to roleplay with you not for you.

Ohhh yes. Related note: When a group RP is obviously just for a central clique of people and they only want other characters there to make up the numbers (either because they have made the scope of the RP too big or they want more numbers just to feel important about how many players they have).... and then they don't give anyone outside the clique all the information they need and treat them like second class citizens.

Also somewhat related: When the GM of a group RP treats all the player characters like pawns to railroad some pre-made story they have devised, and get annoyed when the players try to use their own agency or characters act how they don't expect. See also: Overly controlling GMs in general.

i tend to get annoyed when people like. automatically assume i want something out of a roleplay despite it not being listed/clearly defined on an interest check. i'm returning to this site after a brief hiatus and that used to get on my nerves severely when i was last here, because, dude. if you're not gonna bother reading through my entire interest check and make it obvious you didn't read it upon approaching me for a roleplay, then why are you even bothering?

Oh man I gotta respond because it made me annoyed today! Though it does every time-...

Whenever I look at interest checks, and I can't read like a fourth of them because people think it's pretty to put in a super tiny font, JUST so the code looks all spiffy. It immediately makes me want to leave it and it's a shame, sometimes the titles or themes are interesting to me. Just why do people do this? I don't get it. Is pretty tiny box graphics more important than conveying what you are looking for? And it's not like I got bad eyes, and I got a pretty big screen to boot. x_x

Whenever I look at interest checks, and I can't read like a fourth of them because people think it's pretty to put in a super tiny font, JUST so the code looks all spiffy. It immediately makes me want to leave it and it's a shame, sometimes the titles or themes are interesting to me. Just why do people do this? I don't get it. Is pretty tiny box graphics more important than conveying what you are looking for? And it's not like I got bad eyes, and I got a pretty big screen to boot. x_x
First, a couple of tips that may help:
1. If you disable the rich editor (click on the little cog that is the rightmost button on top of your post) and press "reply", it gives you the raw version of the quote code, in other words, a raw version of that person's code. It's an extremely simple way that lets you see any post pretty much codeless.
2. Most people who code or use those tiny fonts which tend to require code, are quite willing to provide some other version upon request.

So if there's a post you want to read but feel like you're missing out because of the small font, those are a couple potential solutions.

Beyond that, one of the big reasons for searching using that kind of font is because it is an aesthetic that they like. Including it in turn is not an extra to the search, but part of the search itself- like saying one of the requirements is liking that kind of aesthetic too. So, that's one possible motive.

First, a couple of tips that may help:
1. If you disable the rich editor (click on the little cog that is the rightmost button on top of your post) and press "reply", it gives you the raw version of the quote code, in other words, a raw version of that person's code. It's an extremely simple way that lets you see any post pretty much codeless.
2. Most people who code or use those tiny fonts which tend to require code, are quite willing to provide some other version upon request.

So if there's a post you want to read but feel like you're missing out because of the small font, those are a couple potential solutions.

Beyond that, one of the big reasons for searching using that kind of font is because it is an aesthetic that they like. Including it in turn is not an extra to the search, but part of the search itself- like saying one of the requirements is liking that kind of aesthetic too. So, that's one possible motive.

Well I definitely don't want to have to go through the extra effort of asking them to give me another version or replying etc. They can give a nice aesthetic without putting the font at size 1 imo.

EDIT: But don't worry, I don't feel like I'm missing out! It's more an annoyance/pet peeve. :3

Well I definitely don't want to have to go through the extra effort of asking them to give me another version or replying etc. They can give a nice aesthetic without putting the font at size 1 imo.

EDIT: But don't worry, I don't feel like I'm missing out! It's more an annoyance/pet peeve. :3
Well, from what I've seen, they consider the font at that size to be part of that aesthetic. Hence including it.

Pre-made characters.
It can work in VERY specific cases, but 99% of the time they're the biggest turn-off ever.
I want unique, engaging, characters that belong to the world we make for them... not a recycled character you mash into every different scenario. It takes away so much of the charm for me to know that Billy-Bob Jr. has been madly in love with twenty different characters across a multitude of roleplays. It's almost like someone is looking for wish fulfillment and want to use me and whatever unique character I come up with to get there.

This is kind of nuanced because it does depend on the situation. Sometimes if it's a pre-made character that hasn't been used anywhere it can be really cool (ie. a character you came up with that fits into a specific unique world that you want to explore via a roleplay), but when it's just the same character across a billion different plots I can't help but get annoyed. Especially because characters like that tend to not have much (if any) room for character growth because it's all happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back