Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
when someone's character completely changes when you start discussing relationships. like if in their cs they state they hate this certain type of person and have issues with them, but when they plot with my character who fits into that type, they are best friends and are like 'my character doesn't have any issues with them, why would you think that?'. it's frustrating because i would prefer not having a positive character relationship if your character dislikes the type of character mine is in general.

hopefully that made sense skahbgdkfhg

Dark lord steel Dark lord steel
Honestly it’s on the GM to make sure everyone pairs up if that’s a central part of the roleplay.

This is actually the only time I agree with ratios in roleplaying. If the whole point is for the characters to hook up than you basically break down the roles into pairs.

So when you sign up you basically see for example

Pair A : Gay Men (one slot open)
Pair B : Lesbians (two slots open)
Pair C: Bisexuals ( reserved )
Pair D: Heterosexual (male slot open)

And if a slot isn’t taken than it’s up to the GM to fill it to start the roleplay.

I can’t seem to get an roleplay to click for some reason!
You would have to create something that you'd think people would want. For me, when I look at search threads, I really appreciate when people put time and effort into theirs because it shows what kind of person you can rp with.

If you have a basic thread like: I like x,y, and z, looking for partners, then we know nothing about you other than your interests. it's better to make a first impression on your forum rather than wait to make one in a PM.

When my partners apologize about taking a while (over a week for example) to respond to our roleplays.

Like please no don't apologize HHH, take your time. I have healthy OOC relationships with most if not all my partners so really, the wait is nothing PLUS, my life is pretty busy and I can be a bit laggy myself.

I just appreciate them sticking around and I cherish every response, no matter the wait 💕 (I've waited literally a year for a response and I didn't even mind bc that partner was such a great friend - and still is)

When my partners apologize about taking a while (over a week for example) to respond to our roleplays.

Like please no don't apologize HHH, take your time. I have healthy OOC relationships with most if not all my partners so really, the wait is nothing PLUS, my life is pretty busy and I can be a bit laggy myself.

I just appreciate them sticking around and I cherish every response, no matter the wait 💕 (I've waited literally a year for a response and I didn't even mind bc that partner was such a great friend - and still is)

You're a saint.
I am 300% that one person who starts a roleplay than ghosts once the story gets going. I've had multiple roleplays that lasted 4 years plus, but the vast majority of them probably last a month at best. It's either A) Life gets in the way or B) I'm feeling so self-conscious about my writing that I miss a day, then the next day feel bad about it and want it to be a really good so that fails for the same reason, then by the 4th day I just don't reply out of shame. I'm still excited about my plots and there are roleplays I definitely wish I could just pick up where we left off.

You're a saint.
I am 300% that one person who starts a roleplay than ghosts once the story gets going. I've had multiple roleplays that lasted 4 years plus, but the vast majority of them probably last a month at best. It's either A) Life gets in the way or B) I'm feeling so self-conscious about my writing that I miss a day, then the next day feel bad about it and want it to be a really good so that fails for the same reason, then by the 4th day I just don't reply out of shame. I'm still excited about my plots and there are roleplays I definitely wish I could just pick up where we left off.

So something to remember with this. Your partners aren’t mind readers and your anxieties are entirely internal. No one else cares about the quality of your post unless they specifically bring it up.

So I think a lot of times it’s just about getting out of your own way. As the saying goes “Don’t let perfect get in the way of good.”

Sometimes just posting anything, even if you don’t personally think it’s good, helps. Because it forces you out of that anxious spiral and to face your fears.

And as someone who used to get stuck in anxious spirals a lot. Reality is never as dire as what you invent in your head. Even if the worst case scenario happens and the other person doesn’t like your post they’ll usually just offer tips on doing better.

The kind of people that are going to be hateful would have run you off way before you got to the posting for the roleplay section of your interaction.

So something to remember with this. Your partners aren’t mind readers and your anxieties are entirely internal. No one else cares about the quality of your post unless they specifically bring it up.

So I think a lot of times it’s just about getting out of your own way. As the saying goes “Don’t let perfect get in the way of good.”

Sometimes just posting anything, even if you don’t personally think it’s good, helps. Because it forces you out of that anxious spiral and to face your fears.

And as someone who used to get stuck in anxious spirals a lot. Reality is never as dire as what you invent in your head. Even if the worst case scenario happens and the other person doesn’t like your post they’ll usually just offer tips on doing better.

The kind of people that are going to be hateful would have run you off way before you got to the posting for the roleplay section of your interaction.

Oh, no question. I'm fully aware it's a personal problem. Key evidence being, those instances of roleplays lasting four years plus usually dive in and our of different formats. Like they'll start in lit form, then we'll move to instant chat (which forces you to not really think about the writing as must as just respond), do back to lit form again.
But that is genuinely good advice! Thanks for the tip!

What irks me is when people ignore reading the guidelines I set before the start of the rp, sends me something that doesn't follow any of those guidelines and act confused when I decline their CS or offer to rp. An example being, if I say I'm looking for lit+ rpers who can use basic grammar and someone says they're interested, but then they send my a CS without punctuation or capitalization and the entirety of the CS makes up a single paragraph. There have been so many time where I've been called rude because I said no to a CS.

What irks me is when people ignore reading the guidelines I set before the start of the rp, sends me something that doesn't follow any of those guidelines and act confused when I decline their CS or offer to rp. An example being, if I say I'm looking for lit+ rpers who can use basic grammar and someone says they're interested, but then they send my a CS without punctuation or capitalization and the entirety of the CS makes up a single paragraph. There have been so many time where I've been called rude because I said no to a CS.

OH MY GODDDD THATS WHATS MAKING ME ANGRY TODAY

MULTIPLE PEOPLE who have told me they've seen my search thread will send me pms. Mind you, on my thread I like to play games lmao. So I'll ask : what's your favorite movie or send me a meme. SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLETELY IGNORED what I said. It's tragic honestly, because if they dont send me that, that gives me a lil signal like: uh oh how much did they actually read. Some people I met will just shortly discuss a plot (when i like getting in depth with plots) and then they'll say: ok do u want me to start.

LIKE PERSON, COME ON WHY DID YOU SKIP OVER MY THINGS ;_; I PUT DEDICATION INTO IT SO YOU KNOW WHO I AM AND U STILL SKIPPED IT?? COME ON

OH MY GODDDD THATS WHATS MAKING ME ANGRY TODAY

MULTIPLE PEOPLE who have told me they've seen my search thread will send me pms. Mind you, on my thread I like to play games lmao. So I'll ask : what's your favorite movie or send me a meme. SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLETELY IGNORED what I said. It's tragic honestly, because if they dont send me that, that gives me a lil signal like: uh oh how much did they actually read. Some people I met will just shortly discuss a plot (when i like getting in depth with plots) and then they'll say: ok do u want me to start.

LIKE PERSON, COME ON WHY DID YOU SKIP OVER MY THINGS ;_; I PUT DEDICATION INTO IT SO YOU KNOW WHO I AM AND U STILL SKIPPED IT?? COME ON
Exactly! I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but come on. Like, if you can't even read a few bullet points of text, im already worried. Like I have feelings too damnit!

This was exactly the boost of positivity I needed...! c: I have a partner with whom I've been struggling to consistently reply to... And he's extremely understanding about it. Nonetheless, I've still felt a bit bad for the delays in my replies...

Perhaps I'll give myself a bit more leeway from now on. c: thank you!

prob been mentioned before, but when ppl are just as excited to rp as I am, and then drop off the face of the earth without telling me why. like at least tell me you're busy or no longer interested??

What's making me angry today?

I really dislike when people won't let you go from an rp. Like if you're prepping to make an rp with them, and things turn rocky. Or you realize that you two aren't compatible. Or if you've just posted your intro post and they give you a half-assed one. Or you're 300 posts into the rp and you notice the quality in each of their responses are getting shittier.

And you try to leave, but they say "wait, no! i really enjoy rping w you!" or "we can try a new rp! im sorry!"

it really bothers me lmao. like, if i went out of my way, instead of ghosting you (which im against i usually like to leave messages), to tell you "hey things arent working out im not interested".

Why does said person have to guilt trip me and make me feel bad about it? Like i don't want to rp anymore, i don't want to fix things if things don't look right. I hate being held on like that because it puts me in a weird position. I can A) try to fix things but hate my life. B) make this person think im the bad guy bc i didnt like what they wanted to do. or i didnt like what they were doing..

Please dont put holds on me if im trying to leave, it just gets even more awkward and frustrating lmao.
I'm gonna be honest, this one actually happened a lot to me (still does on occasion, though I'm a lot pickier at the start so it doesn't as often) in my earlier days of roleplaying, and I often ended up giving people I honestly couldn't work with chance after chance. Realizing the specifics about my RPing style over time was one of the biggest factors of overcoming this, as it came something to point to when deciding whether to give people a chance or drop the RP.

prob been mentioned before, but when ppl are just as excited to rp as I am, and then drop off the face of the earth without telling me why. like at least tell me you're busy or no longer interested??

A good rule of thumb for this. If they are not online period than chances are something came up IRL.

Like they might have had a death in the family, their internet might be out, they might be sick, etc.

If they are online but not responding I usually tell them I will leave the roleplay after a set period of time.

A good rule of thumb for this. If they are not online period than chances are something came up IRL.

Like they might have had a death in the family, their internet might be out, they might be sick, etc.

If they are online but not responding I usually tell them I will leave the roleplay after a set period of time.

I agree with that, however it's hard to tell when they turn off their online symbol. Then you have no idea when they're on unless they post something on a forum you follow.

It just kind of sucks for a situation like that to be ghosted and having no way to tell it they're actually online or not.

I agree with that, however it's hard to tell when they turn off their online symbol. Then you have no idea when they're on unless they post something on a forum you follow.

It just kind of sucks for a situation like that to be ghosted and having no way to tell it they're actually online or not.

You can see when someone has posted last on their profile. You just go to last activity.

Example.png

Some people will also have it set to let you know when they've last been seen as well. If their profile is set to private than what I do is just wait for two post days. (o example if you post once a day than you wait two days, if you post once a week than you wait two weeks). Once those two post days have gone than just move on.

You can see when someone has posted last on their profile. You just go to last activity.

Some people will also have it set to let you know when they've last been seen as well. If their profile is set to private than what I do is just wait for two post days. (o example if you post once a day than you wait two days, if you post once a week than you wait two weeks). Once those two post days have gone than just move on.

Oh god, that just seems a little weird to go to that length to look at their profile though lmaooo idk that's just me.

I do follow a rule similar to what you said though, if someone tells me they're active often, I usually wait a week after their post.

Another day, another annoyance. Here we go again.

When people make loads of assumptions OOC when you haven't even started yet!

When we're five or ten pages in, sure. Then we've established each others writing styles and characters, and then you can start making assumptions. But if in the planning stage I say I want mxf as my pairing and I tell you my main character will be female, why the hell would you suggest to play a female canon as her partner, especially after proposing a male oc initially? If we're doubling and both want male x female pairings, why would you suggest "well I'm going to play a female OC that's basically the same as the canon character, and then play that exact canon character in your pairing, meaning I basically play the same character twice! Whoo!"

If you can only play one type of character, fine. I can understand that. But don't try and wrap it up as something else.

Oh god, that just seems a little weird to go to that length to look at their profile though lmaooo idk that's just me.

I've actually sort of had a few RP partners do this. It's one reason why I started locking everything down to private as much as I could. So much so that I had one partner request for me to change my online status to visible because they hated not knowing when I was online. That type of request bothers me. DoEs It MaTtEr if my online status is hidden? No, it shouldn't concern you.

My first partner on here didn't tell me he was a one-line RPer and had all these expectations for writing. I started and posted multiple paragraphs setting up my character's country and when it was his turn, he said he didn't know how to respond to it. He didn't want to set up the country his character was in so I had to post ANOTHER few paragraphs for my character to quickly journey over there and then describe it. He gave me one line. Another person I was RPing with just dropped off the face of the earth two days after vigorously posting with me. It was interesting and all and it's weird they just disappeared. THEN, my most recent convo, some guy showed interest and then dropped off. Like. I get I may not have the same style as you or you may not be interested. BUT TELL ME. It's like dating. If you're not interested in me, then don't sling me along waiting for you to post. xD

Right now it's the fact that I'm being ghosted constantly or people that make a promise and then break it. Now hold on before I get attacked yes i came into this knowing it would happen sometimes and that's fine. But I've been searching for a few years overall for even just one partner and I still haven't goddamn found one. It makes me feel like I'm the one at fault. I know not to blame myself but at this point I cant help it. That's why I dont post search threads much anymore because at this point why bother? I'm obviously not going to get one. Sides what I was looking for I've now lost interest in.

Right now it's the fact that I'm being ghosted constantly or people that make a promise and then break it. Now hold on before I get attacked yes i came into this knowing it would happen sometimes and that's fine. But I've been searching for a few years overall for even just one partner and I still haven't goddamn found one. It makes me feel like I'm the one at fault. I know not to blame myself but at this point I cant help it. That's why I dont post search threads much anymore because at this point why bother? I'm obviously not going to get one. Sides what I was looking for I've now lost interest in.

No attacking here, it's a place to vent! I hate getting ghosted and it's just a shit feeling, but it really isnt your fault. If anything its theirs because they failed to communicate with you and instead took an unfair way out. The idea of ghosting is kind of ridiculous, I dont understand why people cant just respond, anyway to each their own.

No attacking here, it's a place to vent! I hate getting ghosted and it's just a shit feeling, but it really isnt your fault. If anything its theirs because they failed to communicate with you and instead took an unfair way out. The idea of ghosting is kind of ridiculous, I dont understand why people cant just respond, anyway to each their own.
I know right? I'm tired of feeling this way. I'm tired of the disappointment I've been constantly feeling these past couple of years. The getting my hopes up only to be let down. Its exhausting. And I'm sick of it.

When people don't stick to an agreed limit? My time has been busier since I got into uni and I'm only able to join RPs that has once a week posting requirement or less. Once a week. I can post just once a week, right? Like I can post on Sunday then on another Sunday.

Me: Posted!

Four days later

GM: Hey uh can you post.
Me: What?
GM: Well if you can't post tomorrow I need to skip you sorry I don't want to hold back the plot.
Me: I'm a bit busy right now.
GM: So you can't?

No Karen I can't post right now you should have told me you use Aztec Calendar where a week is FIVE EFFING DAYS INSTEAD OF SEVEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back