Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAH I HATE THIS SO MUCH !!!

Especially when those people are always like "Omg don't ghost me just tell me if you're not interested."

Me - Tells them when I'm not interested.
Them - What??!!! NO STAY!
Me - I'm really not interested but good luck.
Them - UGH YOU RUDE BITCH BYE THEN.

GAH I HATE THIS SO MUCH !!!

Especially when those people are always like "Omg don't ghost me just tell me if you're not interested."

Me - Tells them when I'm not interested.
Them - What??!!! NO STAY!
Me - I'm really not interested but good luck.
Them - UGH YOU RUDE BITCH BYE THEN.

LMAO I KNOW I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DO THIS.

obviously im saying i want to leave for a reason!! and at that point in my mind, im completely detached from the rp, so UGH DONT CORNER ME!

I can't really say I'm angry today but this is something I've dealt with continuously in my former roleplay run.

When some people feel that just because they're able to post multiple paragraphs every single day several times a day that they have all the time in the world everyone else's schedule has to be the same.
That if you post a couple of times a week or once a week they will be bored or think your time should be devoted strictly for roleplay uhh no. This is not a job. My life does not revolve around it.

I haven't had to deal with this here yet (knock on wood) but people who message me daily/multiple times daily after I TELL THEM that my schedule is busy and I'll probably only be able to post a couple times a week.

Like... it's nice that you love the story so much that you're eager for a reply, but I'm more liable to get stressed out and take LONGER to reply if there's someone breathing down my neck through my PM's asking 'when do you think you'll be able to reply' multiple times a day.

People that RP for romance purposes. If it happens naturally in the story then ok. However the use of RPN as a medium for flirting and relationships is irritating. Go out and meet people. I tell people that I've never had a character in a relationship and I'm the one who raises eyebrows. I guess.

As a wise man once said

"Why would you say something so controversial and yet so brave"

My phone/thumbs are ready for forum combat.

PREACH!
It's so hard to find a 1x1 for non romantic or oddly gender-specific plots. And when you happen to find that one person you then have to hope they have a plot you're interested in and pray they're a good fit.

PREACH!
It's so hard to find a 1x1 for non romantic or oddly gender-specific plots. And when you happen to find that one person you then have to hope they have a plot you're interested in and pray they're a good fit.

Amen. I mean I finally had to start adding in my own romantic pairings just to get a foot in the door. Their all aro/ace pairings so like “romantic” in the sense that it’s about exploring relationships with individuals who aren’t romantically inclined.

I find it to be a nice writing excerise and it gets people thinking about people who maybe aren’t super interested in traditional romantic relationships in a genuine way. (Not the oh I don’t do romance but they change the moment I meet someone I’m attracted to)

Also something I remembered in the unpopular opinion thread. People who act like being aro/ace IRL makes you a defective human. Especially if your a woman.

Like somehow the lack of a desire to date/get married/have sex makes you an unemotional robot and a shitty human being.

Pisses me all the way off.

People who take like three weeks to reply to an rp and then proceed to bug you every five minutes until you post a reply, only to then disappear for another three weeks and then repeat the whole thing all over again.

I can handle people taking ages to reply, I can handle people pestering me every five minutes for a reply, but I can't handle the same person doing both of those things.

When everyone in the role play is bisexual or gay. I get it, it's their character, but when there's twenty five characters my one straight girl is feeling a little lonely. I'm not suggesting that people need to make characters just to date mine, but it's just something that bugs me.

I'm not sure if I'm mad or mildly depressed about it, but it really seems that all fandom 1x1s imply romance. I like playing multiple characters from stories with an ensamble cast (still not sure why most groups restrict folks to one character but meh). Or at the very least, it's a shame it's hard to find 1x1 players looking for something platonic, to focus on the action or plot. Luck just hasn't been on my side lately I suppose. (Maybe I'm spoiled from dice rps I played in school where romance was only slid in where it would be fun or interesting as an addition to the existing storyline, rather than trying to patch a plot together around getting characters together. Or maybe I'm just fussy this week ha ha)

What makes me angry today? My college classes loooool

RpN related, what makes me mad is when people talk down to you while you're discussing ideas.

RpN related, what makes me mad is when people talk down to you while you're discussing ideas.

Ughhhhhh that's something that's making me angry today. especially when I'll come up with a plot and then they try to completely take it over with their ideas. it's even worse when their ideas are shitty lmao

To be honest, I’m not feeling in a pissed off mood, but definitely one thing bothers me way too much:

1. When you make a group or 1x1 RP, and you clearly tell everyone else who is going to be role playing that there is a certain subject ex. history, and they all agree, and they say they’re excited. Then, you post at least a few messages and most of them just QUIT. Just...I get you’re not interested, but, are you not using both sides of your brain? If you didn’t want to roleplay in ex. certain subject, THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU SAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?! This stuff mainly happens with me and my friends, and just really pisses me off sometimes.

I can't say this pisses me off, but it's definitely a peeve I have. Basically, when you set a standard for a certain race or class that you all agree on, and the other person decides they are going to make characters that go beyond that standard without a reasonable explanation. It's probably a small thing to get annoyed over, but it definitely gets there for me.

This isn't pointing fingers at anyone I'm currently writing with, just something I've seen a lot that annoys me. But, I don't see the point in signing up for a roleplay with a character that's so out of bounds that it doesn't make sense and then not giving any real reason as to why they are that way. I mean, did you read the lore? Did you not see the very obvious, multiple links to it? Are you just doing it to waste the GM's time? Is it that important for your character to be unique? I really don't understand it.

When everyone in the role play is bisexual or gay. I get it, it's their character, but when there's twenty five characters my one straight girl is feeling a little lonely. I'm not suggesting that people need to make characters just to date mine, but it's just something that bugs me.

I mean, there are bisexual characters. Unless they're just not compatible with her personality I'm not sure why that one's a problem.

I'm not sure if I'm mad or mildly depressed about it, but it really seems that all fandom 1x1s imply romance. I like playing multiple characters from stories with an ensamble cast (still not sure why most groups restrict folks to one character but meh). Or at the very least, it's a shame it's hard to find 1x1 players looking for something platonic, to focus on the action or plot. Luck just hasn't been on my side lately I suppose. (Maybe I'm spoiled from dice rps I played in school where romance was only slid in where it would be fun or interesting as an addition to the existing storyline, rather than trying to patch a plot together around getting characters together. Or maybe I'm just fussy this week ha ha)

It's not just you. I've been roleplaying for years on multiple sites. The roleplaying community outside of tabletop games is obsessed with romance, and I have no idea why. It seems like the default option, as if people are unaware that they're allowed to (or at least hadn't given a chance) focusing on a story first. If that's what people enjoy doing, then obviously, by all means, let them have fun. But the amount of people who list exclusively romantic plots had always been baffling to me.

No one is around here to rp! Or at least I feel invisible.You either sign up and commit to roleplaying or you tell your partner you need a day to rest and catch up in real life so you don’t make others feel bad when you abandon them. Geez!

I mean, there are bisexual characters. Unless they're just not compatible with her personality I'm not sure why that one's a problem.
I usually make quite sheltered/conservative characters, as my more "liberal" characters usually end up as a toxic Trainwreck (I'm not sure why, it's just something I've noticed) so it usually makes all the LGBT characters flee away from them like they have the black death or something. As such, they usually end up pretty lonely, and it's like look, I didn't join a role play about politics or LGBT activism. My character isn't a violent white supremacist simply because they aren't bisexual, in fact, they're usually quite polite. So can you all stop acting like a clan member has just walked in the room every time they show up?

It's why I usually avoid group role plays, because it's always the same. Everyone writes their bisexual characters to be:
a. UwU super repressed soft boy
b. Football jock that also likes to dominate guys as well as girls
c. Girls who nearly always end up dating guys unless there's none available

It gets really boring after a while, as you feel like you've read the same character fifty times before.

I usually make quite sheltered/conservative characters, as my more "liberal" characters usually end up as a toxic Trainwreck (I'm not sure why, it's just something I've noticed) so it usually makes all the LGBT characters flee away from them like they have the black death or something. As such, they usually end up pretty lonely, and it's like look, I didn't join a role play about politics or LGBT activism. My character isn't a violent white supremacist simply because they aren't bisexual, in fact, they're usually quite polite. So can you all stop acting like a clan member has just walked in the room every time they show up?

It's why I usually avoid group role plays, because it's always the same. Everyone writes their bisexual characters to be:
a. UwU super repressed soft boy
b. Football jock that also likes to dominate guys as well as girls
c. Girls who nearly always end up dating guys unless there's none available

It gets really boring after a while, as you feel like you've read the same character fifty times before.

Tbh I typically default to bi cause that's what I understand best, and find that people avoid interactions with me like the plague (or presume my male characters to be gay and my girl characters to be straight, which may be a bit of societal conditioning there). Though given what I said before about romance, isn't really the worst. I end up being some sort of npc dragging the plot along.

All your descriptions make me cringe so hard. Not that those type of characters could never exist but... Character type a has been an image that my non-binary friend dislikes because they lean towards a more masculine presentation, but with an artsy and sweet personality get shoved into the "soft boy" box by those who don't really know better. Character type b sounds like a playboy type mixed with a jock archetype, and could probably do well outside of the idea that anyone and everyone falls within their romantic reach so easily. Type c would probably bug me a bit less, since bi girls do go for guys, except I've seen girls labeled as bi who don't really even seem to give other girls a passing thought as romantic prospects (they may just not like the female prospects, but it always seems weird imo).

Folks can play whatever character they want, often choosing what they identify with, inspires them or intrigues them. But it's always nice to see characters that aren't stale. Oh, and it's always nice to see some dark skinned or asian characters in the mix. I'm thrilled when folks choose a specific culture rather than "idk, European I guess?" Though maybe it's a bit much to ask folks to put that much thought into a typical character. Overall what matters if someone is fun to play with or not :3:

Last edited:
People who take like three weeks to reply to an rp and then proceed to bug you every five minutes until you post a reply, only to then disappear for another three weeks and then repeat the whole thing all over again.

I can handle people taking ages to reply, I can handle people pestering me every five minutes for a reply, but I can't handle the same person doing both of those things.

Ha ha! I know someone who does this and not only that, they also do another pet peeve: continually asking me what their character should do. Mate, if your character has no motivation and you have no ideas about what they would do, you need to develop it more not ask me to sock puppet it for you. (For clarity, I am not the GM.)

I kinda hate it in RPs where someone decides to suddenly pull some sort of grudge out of their arse for absolutely no reason, like no provications or actions have happened but 'that guy' just wants to hate on other characters as if they're lesser beings.

"Oh, you're a member of nobility? I think you're a stuck up piece of blue-blooded trash."

"Oh, you're a higher ranking person than me? You must be completely awful at commanding and you'll get us all killed."

"Oh, you're a different species/race to me? My race suddenly hates all of yours so I hate you too."

"Oh, you're a rogue type character? I bet you're going to betray us all at the first chance, i'm watching you..."

"Oh, you're a slightly average and innocently normal person? I'm going to be a dick to you for this entire thread for no apparent reason."

Edit: Going on from my Rogue type character insert. I just don't understand why people suddenly suspect others of being up to something, being dubious or otherwise untrustworthy. Especially at the beginning of a story where the characters have only just met... doesn't make any sense to me what-so-ever to start presuming other people's intent and making obvious threats towards them.

"I'm watching you.. better not doing anything stupid.."

Me, who's just walked round the corner:

"Huh?"

Last edited:
So a lot of these character issues (re: bisexual characters OR grudges)

I think it’s a tricky balance. Because sometimes people just roleplay assholes. But usually they’re pretty good about explaining that OOC.

Like I swear I’m not a bigot just my character has a problem with X type of people. Or words to that affect.

But more often it’s subconscious bias on the other persons part. And usually if you bring it to their attention they’ll stop. Cuz the one thing like 90% of roleplayers hate more than anything is for their characters to be perceived as assholes.

(I don’t mean bias in a negative light either. Everyone is biased in some way of another because we tend to look at the world from our own individual perspective and have a hard time looking beyond that. Which is honestly fine as long as you aren’t a hateful piece of shit to anyone)

What’s irritating me today? My perfectionism. It’s been taking ages lately for me to do what usually takes me a couple hours to a day, and when I finish I end up being unsatisfied. This dissatisfaction leads to a lack of muse, which then makes me take even longer... Which increases the disappointment when I’m finished. Which...

Never ending cycle, on and on. Wish I could just relax.

'That guy':

"Hey, I know your thread is about medieval fantasy world.. but can I make my guy a time traveller from the year 3050? He'll have his plasma pistols and vibro blade.. and his energy shield... and his AI gun-drone... and his cyber dog... and his mini-nuke-auto-tracking-fuck-you-grenades... and a couple of assassin robots NPC companions.. but other than a few little niché things like that. He'll fit right in with the other characters."

Me:

"What the literal fuck is wrong with you?"
I kind of have this when I do fandom role plays where their character has some really random (and really good) power that was inferred through one line and was unique to that circumstance.

"Yeah, so I know they only had this mind connect due to a list of eventualities as long as my arm in canon, but my character also shares it because... reasons."

Uh... no. If you want to have ridiculous Mary sues that have a list of the most powerful abilities for no reason, go write fanfiction.

So a lot of these character issues (re: bisexual characters OR grudges)

I think it’s a tricky balance. Because sometimes people just roleplay assholes. But usually they’re pretty good about explaining that OOC.

Like I swear I’m not a bigot just my character has a problem with X type of people. Or words to that affect.

But more often it’s subconscious bias on the other persons part. And usually if you bring it to their attention they’ll stop. Cuz the one thing like 90% of roleplayers hate more than anything is for their characters to be perceived as assholes.

(I don’t mean bias in a negative light either. Everyone is biased in some way of another because we tend to look at the world from our own individual perspective and have a hard time looking beyond that. Which is honestly fine as long as you aren’t a hateful piece of shit to anyone)
I have tried that, but normally they just tend to ghost my character until it seems kind of pointless carrying on. They pretty much create what I've dubbed as the "bi allies" due to having seen it so much, where all the bi characters have this really close nit group but everyone else is left in the dust. So if I see the character sheets and more than 3/4 of them are LGBT, I usually sigh and resolve that my character is unlikely to make many friends in that role play, which makes it seem kind of pointless if it's a college role play.

It's probably a bitter pill for me because I've encountered this group within my own high school and had a few problems with them, where they bullied me so severely they got someone to chase me home shouting they were going to st*b me for being a "fascist". So when I see it again and again in group role plays... it grinds on my nerves a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back