Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today someone reached out to me and told me they liked my character Bez (he's a vampire) . And they didn't have any plot ideas so I suggested a basic vampire plot. They were offended and told me they only do romance and drama roleplays.

They clearly didn't read my OC Bezsmertnyy (or Bez).

Next, I suggest my other OC Frankie who has a pet duck that helps him emotionally-especially with his social anxiety issues. (long story).

The person told me that they didn't like that Frankie talked to a duck a lot and had anxiety.

I then asked okay what type of character do you want

"someone normal. A bad boy" (exact quote from them).

So then I ask about their character that they'd use for this rp. (I like knowing my partner's characters).

Well there's not much on her.

So I ask, fully annoyed what exactly the person wanted from my OC that I'll make on the spot.

"Idk I'm just picky" (Another quote from them).

I got so fed up and left the chat.

And fun fact I looked at their posts and they said "I don't want any bratty OOC chats. "

I still don't know what that even means but I don't care- they're just blocked permanently.

StrawberryAvalanche StrawberryAvalanche so many red flags. First why is a vampire not automatically categorized as drama / romance? Like do you even genre random person?

Also anytime someone says “normal” I’m out. Cuz that’s like using the word beautiful as a description. Because both words are incredibly subjective. What is normal to me is not going to be normal to you (for that matter what is beautiful to me is not going to be beautiful to you).

Also that was some ableist nonsense anyway and like fuck that noise.

Lastly you have the patience of a saint to have gotten through all of that.

Colored text, I think this was said before but this website has two modes light and dark mode and sometimes people pick colors that make text hard/impossible to read in one or the other, and while I could be irritated with the poster themselves I kind of feel like to a certain degree this is kind of a website issue I mean you are aware that your website has two modes and yet you allow colors that aren't legible in both and I'm not even talking about custom hexcodes, there are default colors that are not legible in either light or dark mode, personally, I have no idea why black or white is even an option for text colors because white is not readable in light mode, black is not readable in dark mode I shouldn't have to highlight text or switch between modes to read someone's post.

when people usually rp when you're asleep (timezones), so you stay up late to match their times but no one is around. 💀

when people usually rp when you're asleep (timezones), so you stay up late to match their times but no one is around. 💀
Bruh, I feel like people are never available to RP no matter what time of day I get on. Like, I'm on Mountain time. But I don't get on to (attempt) o write RP until like 12 to 3 AM. But I will check on the status of requests at varying hours of the day, on my days off of work. And my days off vary considerably. So, I've had the capacity to be able to check on things at the beginning of the week, the middle, the weekend, and anywhere from 5 in the morning to well... 4 in the morning. lol Literally any time you can think about.

Doesn't matter. The only thing I get to do is catch peeps in the chats. Which honestly isn't very important to me at all. I'm on these platforms to RP, not to meme and chat about stuff unrelated to it. But I can't figure out when exactly the "good time" to be able to reach people is. I mean, that isn't the way I RP anyway. I'm more of a "work on a post for a couple of hours, then submit it and they can respond at their leisure" style of roleplayer. But I guess catching interest might matter for timezones to when they see requests. Either way, it's radio silence on all fronts for actual RP request stuff no matter what time of day.

I don't stay up, I just catch them when I catch them honestly I don't need to be the same timezone as my partner the rp doesn't need to happen in real time so I'll reply when I see it an they'll reply when they see it.

*cries in time zones*
This is literally one of my biggest pet peeves regarding groups. I got too tired waking up to 50 messages and people forgetting my character even existed in that scene. I don't want to do group rp again lol It's too exhausting to catch up every time.
At least in 1x1 one person can't write 50 messages while you're asleep and the conversation flow is easier to follow 😅

*cries in time zones*
This is literally one of my biggest pet peeves regarding groups. I got too tired waking up to 50 messages and people forgetting my character even existed in that scene. I don't want to do group rp again lol It's too exhausting to catch up every time.
At least in 1x1 one person can't write 50 messages while you're asleep and the conversation flow is easier to follow 😅
This is most definitely a problem I've encountered many times when i would join groups. First, we are waiting like a whole two goddamn weeks for anyone to post. And then idunnowhatthefuckhappened and all of a sudden, my character had been left to the wayside because everyone got together on a day/night i was away and carried the plot on to some far end. And at that point, catching up is basically a timeskip and I feel totally cheated out of the very thing I was wanting to even RP for in the first place.

And there are definitely pros and cons to how strict about posting turns you want the group to have. Too much and it lags to death. Too little and you leave people behind...

Last edited:
Colored text, I think this was said before but this website has two modes light and dark mode and sometimes people pick colors that make text hard/impossible to read in one or the other, and while I could be irritated with the poster themselves I kind of feel like to a certain degree this is kind of a website issue I mean you are aware that your website has two modes and yet you allow colors that aren't legible in both and I'm not even talking about custom hexcodes, there are default colors that are not legible in either light or dark mode, personally, I have no idea why black or white is even an option for text colors because white is not readable in light mode, black is not readable in dark mode I shouldn't have to highlight text or switch between modes to read someone's post.
Oh my gosh, same! What really gets me about color in text is it's like... colored and BOLDED...are you expecting me just to read like the dialogue of your post. It is really super irritating because well over half a post is not dialogue and you miss key information. I've seen so many posts messed up this way. Because people only read that creepy lime green text that's bolded.
I mean not currently a pet peeve I'm struggling with right now but this awakened some PTSD lol jk but really

Oh my gosh, same! What really gets me about color in text is it's like... colored and BOLDED...are you expecting me just to read like the dialogue of your post. It is really super irritating because well over half a post is not dialogue and you miss key information. I've seen so many posts messed up this way. Because people only read that creepy lime green text that's bolded.

As an extremely blind person...I actually specifically request that my partners bold and/or color their text, lol. I mean, I get it can be annoying to some people, but for someone like me, it's crucial so I can break up giant walls of text and not miss lines of dialogue I need to respond to. It's even more important when 90% of people don't know proper dialogue rules and cram five lines of it into a single paragraph, leaving me unable to tell if it's being spoken or if it's part of the narrative.

*points at camera*

Remember, kids. One line of dialogue a paragraph. New paragraph each time a character speaks. do it.

As an extremely blind person...I actually specifically request that my partners bold and/or color their text, lol. I mean, I get it can be annoying to some people, but for someone like me, it's crucial so I can break up giant walls of text and not miss lines of dialogue I need to respond to. It's even more important when 90% of people don't know proper dialogue rules and cram five lines of it into a single paragraph, leaving me unable to tell if it's being spoken or if it's part of the narrative.

*points at camera*

Remember, kids. One line of dialogue a paragraph. New paragraph each time a character speaks. do it.

This can be true! However, you communicate your needs because it is a necessity. It's understandable. =)I would be willing to be malleable to my pet peeves because it's clearly something out of your control.

Which I can relate to as I have really bad eyes too. Sometimes I just straight up copy and paste posts into the text to audio so my eyes don't have the strain. Then there is always screen settings I can change so that colors are not so bright. I'm really just grumbling and jesting at the lime green color. Even though it makes my eyes scream. I would just change the settings on my screen after a moment of eye panicking.

frustrated in general atm. im bored, i want a thread, but i have no ideas nor are any interest checks calling out to me. like. i don't know what to do with myself at this point. the server isn't really reliable/consistent atm. and i need consistency to write because if my routine is thrown off, my brain just shuts down on me 😭

i miss writing and rping but it's just so unreliable and frustrating smh i feel like im going insane from understimulation LMAO

my biggest pet peeve is kind of layered. but it gets me when someone is perfectly happy for me to shower them in their OC's love interest content (which I'm always happy to do! that's not my problem) but getting anything of the one they're meant to write for me is like pulling teeth >_> I really enjoy this one partner I have as a person but it's been a long string of this, no matter the rp. but then that really feels way too petty to actually bring up without feeling like I sound about 13 years old lmao

my biggest pet peeve is kind of layered. but it gets me when someone is perfectly happy for me to shower them in their OC's love interest content (which I'm always happy to do! that's not my problem) but getting anything of the one they're meant to write for me is like pulling teeth >_> I really enjoy this one partner I have as a person but it's been a long string of this, no matter the rp. but then that really feels way too petty to actually bring up without feeling like I sound about 13 years old lmao
Oh no it isn't petty. This is the exact reason why I don't like doubling and haven't done it for a long while. Most of the time it seems obvious my partner only wanted to write one character and has no interest in writing the other which really dampens the whole mood for me. Of course not everyone is like this, but you aren't petty for it. It's perfectly reasonable to want to be shown the same amount of effort you give.

It’s not petty they’re taking advantage of you.

I mean I get that sometimes people don’t like confrontation (and if it was the first roleplay they had done this I would suggest asking them if they wanted to do a single pairing roleplay instead of two pairing roleplay).

But if this is a habitual problem then they are a hundred percent doing it on purpose because they have figured out your too nice to call them on their selfishness.

So I would absolutely nip that in the bud immediately. Tell them they either they need to let you know they can’t write two characters so you aren’t putting in wasted effort in an uneven roleplay OR they need to start putting the same effort into both their characters.

replies that don’t contain reaction and action. if there’s too much reaction and too little action, then it’s not moving the plot forward. if there’s too much action and too little reaction, it feels disconnected— like, does it even matter what my character says or does if yours will hardly acknowledge it?

replies that don’t contain reaction and action. if there’s too much reaction and too little action, then it’s not moving the plot forward. if there’s too much action and too little reaction, it feels disconnected— like, does it even matter what my character says or does if yours will hardly acknowledge it?
Sometimes I wonder how people don't understand this. Like, it doesn't matter if you give me 2000 words in a reply if nothing fucking happens in your post bro. Your character internally reacting to something gives me nothing to bounce off of. I just have to sit there and and basically move the plot forward by myself because I am the only one making things happen.

To add to this discussion:

Man I loved it when I played multiple characters but my partner only gives a reaction to the one they want to romance and basically ignores and gives one word reactions to the others. Could at least pretend like you're interested. Because quite frankly if you don't react to them, they might as well not exist.

Melpomene Melpomene it reminds me of a pitch I got years ago where I was playing something like three or five characters that were all obsessed with this one character.

Like the person wanted to play Mary and I was to play Mary’s BFF, her ex-boyfriend, her current boyfriend, her love rival, and some other characters I forget.

I was like ????

No.

It was hands down the most bananas example of an entire roleplay revolving around some persons self-insert I have ever seen.

I mean tbf it would have made a really funny fanfiction with the person writing her OC into these soap opera scenarios. But like you can just get a beta reader to help you with that, you don’t need to make a roleplay.

I've spent the whole day waiting for 2 reply buddies.

No interactions, no heads up. Nuffin.

Made me kinda mad. But I'm more dissapointed than anything. Really slow day.

obsession with romance in 1x1 rps. pretty much every 1x1 interest check is romance centered. it's hard enough finding people interested in my fandoms, let alone finding anyone who'd be interested in a non-romantic/platonic plot 😭 like i usually stick to group rps because of this, but there's been such a lack of threads im interested in ive considered branching out.. though at this point i might just end up thinking of some other group plot again because it's just do hard to find things that interest me 😭

*cries in time zones*
R4AWWV3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back