Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot of historical m/m romance books and that led me down a rabbit hole for some interesting fun facts. My favorite was this super famous French person who was thought to be among the first transgender people.

And their life was bananas! French spy, they made money fencing in full womens garb, and they like ended up dying at a fairly old age with their bestie.

I mean yeah there were some ups and downs but it was genuinely neat to learn about them. (It was through a podcast so I’m not even gonna attempt to try to spell their name.)

And also there is this really interesting thing in England when being a lesbian was actually much more socially acceptable then being a “sodomite” cuz of how they categorized female friendships and it’s all terrible fun to learn about,

Also don’t get me started on the research I had to do about non-white people in early America and England. It makes me so mad when people try to be armchair historians when a literal Wikipedia search will show you that *gasp* non white people weren’t just slaves and house workers,

this is a really good point! like. historically trans folk (such as myself) have always been here. and god it's so annoying whenever we're presented with the historical inaccuracy card, because it's nonsense. (though as cool as the person you bring up sounds, i find myself doubting that they're among the 'first' transgender people fgfgh. like, there's been evidence of some form of being trans or gender nonconforming since... pretty much ever, actually. shoutout to ancient sumerian practices!)

but also, i think it's also at its most annoying when you're dealing with a period piece with notably fantastical elements. after a certain point when it comes to 'inaccuracy', you gotta look at something and you gotta be like. man. i'm writing about some guy discovering ancient horrors and magics from places beyond reality. is whether or not said guy happens to be transgender and arab really gonna be the thing that breaks believability here. he's turning into a weird bug thing, i think you oughta stop worrying about him being trans so much. exploring what it means to be lgbt+ and poc in the context of these time periods is a really interesting (and important! and valuable!) perspective for sure (thematic relevance my beloved), but sometimes you just want to sit down and write about a man undergoing horrors in a 19th-century tweed suit. is that so wrong.

sometimes i just have to put aside historical accuracy for my own comfort. for example i write a lot of roma characters (which is another can of worms 🥲) and while i love putting them in all kinds of settings, historical can get all kinds of uncomfortable real quick. for example, the term 'roma' and 'romani' weren't used all that often back them to refer to roma people and since there was another word more common back then 🧍‍♂️well, i'm gonna have to pretend the word 'g**sy' doesn't even exist. peace on earth.

i know some roma groups use it to refer to themselves, but when others use it 😭 even if they want to be historically accurate i wish they'd keep in mind it is actually a slur to a lot of people. i've seen it in SO many roleplays, not just on this site.

this is a really good point! like. historically trans folk (such as myself) have always been here. and god it's so annoying whenever we're presented with the historical inaccuracy card, because it's nonsense. (though as cool as the person you bring up sounds, i find myself doubting that they're among the 'first' transgender people fgfgh. like, there's been evidence of some form of being trans or gender nonconforming since... pretty much ever, actually. shoutout to ancient sumerian practices!)

but also, i think it's also at its most annoying when you're dealing with a period piece with notably fantastical elements. after a certain point when it comes to 'inaccuracy', you gotta look at something and you gotta be like. man. i'm writing about some guy discovering ancient horrors and magics from places beyond reality. is whether or not said guy happens to be transgender and arab really gonna be the thing that breaks believability here. he's turning into a weird bug thing, i think you oughta stop worrying about him being trans so much. exploring what it means to be lgbt+ and poc in the context of these time periods is a really interesting (and important! and valuable!) perspective for sure (thematic relevance my beloved), but sometimes you just want to sit down and write about a man undergoing horrors in a 19th-century tweed suit. is that so wrong.

Lol your right my bad I meant they were the earliest in I guess “modern British history” (they were around in the 1700s or something, dates aren’t my strong suit). But I’m sure trans people existed other places and in previous times.

But I think it’s cuz people are so used to history being taught by white straight able-bodied people. I listen to a podcast years ago where the person was a scholar about essentually medieval disability practices. And he was talking about how stunned his students are when he goes into how much people with disabilities were known about at this time. (I mean they were either blessed by god or demonized sure but they at least existed.)

And it really shows that what people think of as historical accuracy has much more to do with modern sensibilities then what life was like in ye olden whatever.

I think the best way I ever saw it put was “no one alive now was present in this time period so everything we know is assumptions, moreover it’s usually tied to nostalgia and idealized social norms”

Which you only have to go back to say the 1950s to see the proof of that. People idealize the fuck out of the 1950s and act like it was some kind of sit com era (when even in the time period they were made the sitcoms were fake reality TV bullshit to sell idk the nuclear family to the masses or something).

So yeah the idea that your high school history book or whatever pop culture tropes you are familiar with are the whole story is nonsense

mother of sorrows mother of sorrows i think slurs are exempt from accuracy as there are several you literally can’t write on this site, if you try it censors the words.

So I feel like self-censoring is fine when the site itself already does it.

So if someone is trying to argue their right to use slurs that’s probably a bigger issue all around outside of “accuracy”.

Honestly, as a gay man, I have played out gay (or bi or pan) characters who use gay slurs because of their own self hatred or how they approach life. That doesn't mean I approve of people doing that in real life, but I often like to explore gray areas like that in my stories when the mood hits, when I know my partner's comfort level, and when the GM's stance on content openness/restrictions are clear.

I don't mind slurs in historical roleplays depending on context. Context in how a word is used and why matters to me and I believe is far more important then the word itself. Is it being used to create the environment/society that the characters are in? Is it being used to flesh out a character, for better or worse, is it being used to establish hurdles that people navigate everyday? Sure. If it is just being used for shock value or because someone wants to be able to say it? That's just bad writing and being a jerk for little reason.

That said I don't believe people have to like them or use them, roleplaying is a hobby, first and foremost, and free to enjoy it as you do. However as a rule of thumb, I oppose censorship in nearly all its forms [That said, I support someone being able to say something =/= someone has to listen and nothing stopping people from telling others to piss off or banning them, posting on websites is a privilege not a right].

Lol your right my bad I meant they were the earliest in I guess “modern British history” (they were around in the 1700s or something, dates aren’t my strong suit). But I’m sure trans people existed other places and in previous times.

But I think it’s cuz people are so used to history being taught by white straight able-bodied people. I listen to a podcast years ago where the person was a scholar about essentually medieval disability practices. And he was talking about how stunned his students are when he goes into how much people with disabilities were known about at this time. (I mean they were either blessed by god or demonized sure but they at least existed.)

And it really shows that what people think of as historical accuracy has much more to do with modern sensibilities then what life was like in ye olden whatever.

I think the best way I ever saw it put was “no one alive now was present in this time period so everything we know is assumptions, moreover it’s usually tied to nostalgia and idealized social norms”

Which you only have to go back to say the 1950s to see the proof of that. People idealize the fuck out of the 1950s and act like it was some kind of sit com era (when even in the time period they were made the sitcoms were fake reality TV bullshit to sell idk the nuclear family to the masses or something).

So yeah the idea that your high school history book or whatever pop culture tropes you are familiar with are the whole story is nonsense

Depends. Sometimes the opposite happens and people condemn that period in history for various reasons. While the 50s are idolized, the 70s-80s not so much. While the roaring 20s are popular, the great depression and dust bowl? Not so much.

Looking past just America, take the Dark Ages and Medieval periods, generally seen as backwards and primitive compared to the classical periods. This really became big in the Renaissance and the notion that Greco-Roman was the best thing ever and because they were 'rediscovering it' they too were the best thing ever but those dirty Dark Age/Medieval peasants were the worst and a blight upon the pristine history of their nations.

So while some time periods are held on a pedestal, some are thrown in the dumpster.

Honestly, as a gay man, I have played out gay (or bi or pan) characters who use gay slurs because of their own self hatred or how they approach life. That doesn't mean I approve of people doing that in real life, but I often like to explore gray areas like that in my stories when the mood hits, when I know my partner's comfort level, and when the GM's stance on content openness/restrictions are clear.

Which is fair except you literally can’t write gay slurs on this site. The words are censored. As are slurs about women and black people. Now I don’t know how many slurs about specific ethnicities are censored as I have never felt the need to check, but my point is the site already censors words. So to me if the site itself has taken the stance to make it so you literally cannot write certain words then it’s less of a big deal if you don’t write words that maybe didn’t make the list. Cuz then it’s less “oh I find this word offensive” and more “I guess the site admin missed this particular slur but I’m gonna leave it out anyway.”

If they're so obsessed with historical accuracy and realism, then their characters should be dying of sun poisoning and turning into giant blisters because they have neither the sunscreen nor the melanin to protect their skin from spontaneously combusting. There's a reason people in those climates have darker skin. But interestingly enough, they ignore all those pesky little realism factors... 👁👄👁
Nah ... I have lived there. But in direct sunlight on that hot sand they would need to wear some sort of covering - that breathes. And have plenty of fluids. They wouldn't be from that area, rather foreigners. Not sure if you were talking actual historical, but the Crusades with give you an idea of how such scenarios might happen.

But yeah, if they think their family is from the area for many generations ...

Sigh .. I hate it when I have an idea for an RP I want to put on the backburner, but am too busy to write it down. Then later, I can't remember what it was.

I'm normally pretty cool with a partner basing their character on themself, but naming the character the same as the player is a different story. It especially becomes even more confusing if I and/or another partner (this happened in a group RP) need(s) to pull a "you know this but your characters don't".

I dislike feeling as if I have to prioritize roleplays over each other based on when I receive responses. Sometimes I’m ready to write for a roleplay I just got a response from even though I have someone else waiting for me since three days ago. Sometimes I just have to write and the longer waiting responses will come later. Most people don’t even mind. It’s still difficult reminding myself of that. 😭

Complicated BBCode profiles that make it to where I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to click. How do I get to the next tab? Where is the rest of it? Why is the text so tiny? I can't find the tiny clickable word that's supposed to pull up the next page.

Please I'm old and confused I grew up on bootleg BBCode not this fancy newfangled arithmetic

Complicated BBCode profiles that make it to where I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to click. How do I get to the next tab? Where is the rest of it? Why is the text so tiny? I can't find the tiny clickable word that's supposed to pull up the next page.

Please I'm old and confused I grew up on bootleg BBCode not this fancy newfangled arithmetic
this this this ^^^^

Especially if it isn't mobile friendly either, and no codeless alternative is given. I do like coded posts but only when they're easy to access and navigate. And I do not understand why people feel the need to make all their text so small!

this this this ^^^^

Especially if it isn't mobile friendly either, and no codeless alternative is given. I do like coded posts but only when they're easy to access and navigate. And I do not understand why people feel the need to make all their text so small!
Never thought of that. I wonder if mine are mobile friendly

Oh no. Not just small. Small and in calligraphic cursive. I can do one or the other, but when they combine both in a size 4px font and try to cram 1000 words into it, it makes my eyes melt. I've had some people try to give me actual RP posts like that before, and

"I CAN'T SEE I NEED YOU TO SPEAK UP"

download (4).jpg

Oh no. Not just small. Small and in calligraphic cursive. I can do one or the other, but when they combine both in a size 4px font and try to cram 1000 words into it, it makes my eyes melt. I've had some people try to give me actual RP posts like that before, and

"I CAN'T SEE I NEED YOU TO SPEAK UP"

View attachment 1009609
what do you mean you can't read this???
Never thought of that. I wonder if mine are mobile friendly
It's an easy thing to overlook, especially if you only use rpn on PC, but for me it's very important as I'm often without my laptop. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to check other than just looking on a phone

If you’re using freebies, a lot of coders will mention if they’re mobile friendly or not. I still check with my phone sometimes, though.

I don't ... Someone mind looking at this blank one with a mobile? I'll delete this post once I hear back ... or if I never do ... Don't want to junk up the thread.

NameImage

Aliases and Nicknames:

Position(s):

• Height:
    Hair Color:
    Eye Color:
    Scars/ Other Facial details:
    Attire:

oh, that's pretty mobile friendly lol

to get back on track, nothing has made me angry today :D

Okay, that's a lie, I'm angry at my own self getting distracted from my post-making :'D

LOL .. brings up another pet peeve. CSs with huge pics that make it take forever for a CS page to load. (I use a mobile hotspot most of the time. 4G with 1-2 bars ... I drive half a mile from home and 5G with 3+ bars min.)

Still feeling guilty about slow responses even though none of the folks I roleplay with have a problem with this. They understand completely because we all have schedules outside of RpN but I still feel bad about it. 😭😤

been mostly rping on servers recently, and i find it really annoying when like. one person stops rping/responding to threads. and then. everyone else does too? like. we can continue without them. there's no need to let entire threads DIE because one person decided to dip.

then there's also still that issue of literally no one ever rping unless me or one other person starts things. 💀 it's just. annoying. rp is fun when everyone is enthusiastic about it and when no one is doing anything or even talking in the ooc it just sucks all that enthusiasm away.

another minor annoyance specifically aimed at server rp is inactive members not leaving the server. idk why this irritates me, but it does, especially with the knowledge that they're online and simply ghosting the server. 😔 maybe i just need a better rp group but things are so damn frustrating at the moment smh

So this happened today an it irritated my God damn soul and I'm not even sure I should be that upset about it. So an old partner one who ghosted me I might add sent me a request, now it's not irritating for the reason you might think, believe it or not, I'm not angry that they ghosted me, hadn't even thought about them, wouldn't remember who they were if not for one little problem. They sent me a request on Google drive to edit a document with one of my character profiles on it...motherfucker, what possible reason could you need to edit MY personal profile of MY character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back