Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it sounds mean but I find it frustrating when a non English speaker joins an rp. Sometimes the posts do not make sense because their grammar is off. So not only it's confusing to rp with them. But it's difficult to communicate with them ooc as well. I mean I get it, maybe their using roleplay as a way to get better at the language. But dealing with language barriers is so irritating.
I mean, you are entitled to feel how you do but that does sound insensitive. Roleplayers come from all walks of life and from all over the world so to judge them for, what you consider, to not be fluent in English is not good at all. To be honest, how would you know who is who actually.
I've seen plenty of native speakers that you need a dictionary to translate what they've typed but that's something else entirely. A bit of empathy and patience goes a long way.

This isn't just an issue I have in RP but it's been present. Bi-erasure. I am so sick of people not understanding the fact that my characters are bisexual, no she is not a lesbian just because she is currently dating a girl, no she is no heterosexual because she is currently interested in a boy, no he is not gay because he is currently in a relationship with a guy, they are still Bi, they do not need to be in a poly relationship with both genders at the same time to be Bi. Then you have people who will be up in arms if you even suggest that someone in a same-sex relationship is Bi and it's always the excuse of well people can discover their sexualities later in life, they may not have known they were homosexual before which okay fair that is an occurrence that happens bu why are you so hostile about the idea that they might be Bi, like the very idea is insulting and offensive?

Not sure if it sounds mean but I find it frustrating when a non English speaker joins an rp. Sometimes the posts do not make sense because their grammar is off. So not only it's confusing to rp with them. But it's difficult to communicate with them ooc as well. I mean I get it, maybe their using roleplay as a way to get better at the language. But dealing with language barriers is so irritating.
you wanna know something interesting though? Some of the BEST 1x1 roleplays I've been in have been with a non-native English speaker. Two of them were Swedes, and I can't remember where the other one was from, but I wanna say it was Brazil? Either way, their English was pretty damn good. If anything, they avoided all the slang that typically gets used by native speakers.
While I have seen the example stated in plenty where the non-English speaker is just a lot of extra steps for everyone, I can also say that excellent roleplayers exists that hail from the same pool.

That mag be true, but the issue I'm talking about has nothing to do with Pansexual it has to do with people who insist that your characters are sticky gay or strictly straight depending on who they are dating or are interested in at that very moment and take issue when you even suggest that they are Bi and no straight or gay. Surprisingly no one has ever bugged me about my characters being Pan instead of Bi.
Bi-erasure is a fucking struggle. As someone who is bi myself and by myself I often like to include bi sexuality in my characters. And the amount of people who seem to... forget they are bisexual based on who they are dating is just maddening.

Like yes she dates a woman and then a man. That does not mean her "gay period" was just a phase and she went on to be straight. No, she is still bi. And just because he once dated a woman and then went on to date a man doesn't mean he 'found himself' he just happens to like both. Like please people. Let the little bi gremlins I make exist without their sexuality being questioned.

Bi-erasure is a fucking struggle. As someone who is bi myself and by myself I often like to include bi sexuality in my characters. And the amount of people who seem to... forget they are bisexual based on who they are dating is just maddening.

Like yes she dates a woman and then a man. That does not mean her "gay period" was just a phase and she went on to be straight. No, she is still bi. And just because he once dated a woman and then went on to date a man doesn't mean he 'found himself' he just happens to like both. Like please people. Let the little bi gremlins I make exist without their sexuality being questioned.
Truuue! People swear up and down that because my character is currently dating someone of the same gender as them that it means they've discovered their true sexuality "Uh, no they are still attracted to the opposite gender as well they just vibe more with this person right now who just so happens to be the same gender as them. There is a difference between love an attraction, people.

This isn't just an issue I have in RP but it's been present. Bi-erasure. I am so sick of people not understanding the fact that my characters are bisexual, no she is not a lesbian just because she is currently dating a girl, no she is no heterosexual because she is currently interested in a boy, no he is not gay because he is currently in a relationship with a guy, they are still Bi, they do not need to be in a poly relationship with both genders at the same time to be Bi. Then you have people who will be up in arms if you even suggest that someone in a same-sex relationship is Bi and it's always the excuse of well people can discover their sexualities later in life, they may not have known they were homosexual before which okay fair that is an occurrence that happens bu why are you so hostile about the idea that they might be Bi, like the very idea is insulting and offensive?
And that, folks, is why I don't include sexualities in my CSes unless required by the GM. And even then, I tend to make it either ace or "<insert sexuality here> but currently not interested in romance" with the latter implying that I don't know how things are gonna be once the RP starts. Do you (everyone reading this) think it'll be confusing if I say that a character is "bi but currently not interested in romance"?

Do you (everyone reading this) think it'll be confusing if I say that a character is "bi but currently not interested in romance"?
Lol, that's not confusing, that's completely normal. Characters don't need to date or have a date. XD Like, I have a character in another RP who is bi, but he's a megalomaniac scientist and he is only interested in being the top dog. Yes, he can be attracted to both genders, but it's likely that he won't keep any PC alive lol. And romance is only a stepping stone to get where he wants to be XD at least he doesn't have to fake being attracted to someone if they are actually attractive in his eyes lol.

But some people don't even have to have a reason to not be interested in romance, but they can still have interest in people.

Attraction & Interest =/= Romanceable XD

I don't know why some people don't know that.

And that, folks, is why I don't include sexualities in my CSes unless required by the GM. And even then, I tend to make it either ace or "<insert sexuality here> but currently not interested in romance" with the latter implying that I don't know how things are gonna be once the RP starts. Do you (everyone reading this) think it'll be confusing if I say that a character is "bi but currently not interested in romance"?

No. One because I am ace so I am very aware this is a big difference between someone who is not interested in romance (right now) and someone who is not interested in romance (at all).

**admittedly that’s actually aro or aromantic, ace or asexual just means you aren’t physically attracted to anyone not that you can’t be romantically interested in anyone**

But to circle back Two :

Straight people aren’t straight because their in a relationship. Their not straight because their actively having sex or being physically affectionate. They are straight because they find the opposite gender physically or romantically attractive.

You don’t stop being straight when you are no longer dating someone. Or their would be a hell of a lot more ace representation because literally everyone on the planet would be ace or aro for some period of their life.

So if it sounds stupid when you put straight in the sentence it sounds just as stupid when you put a different sexuality into the sentence.

(( saniachan saniachan not saying you needed any of that but for the lurkers. Cuz I have also had people act like someone becomes some sex crazed alien the second they dare to be anything other then straight. Which as an aro/ace is admittedly kinda funny. Like my friend you have entirely missed the point. ))

Not at all, you be attracted to a certain gender or genders and not be interested on romance. I was genuinely not interested in romance until I was 4 years in to being an adult.

Back on topic, y'all!

I think one of my pet peeves is when people don't share my kind of passion for storytelling. Which isn't anyone's fault, lol!

I find it difficult to find other people who will go as in depth as I do, or who want to talk about the latest progressions as incessantly as I do. To be fair this is an issue with more than just RP, hah.

Back on topic, y'all!

I think one of my pet peeves is when people don't share my kind of passion for storytelling. Which isn't anyone's fault, lol!

I find it difficult to find other people who will go as in depth as I do, or who want to talk about the latest progressions as incessantly as I do. To be fair this is an issue with more than just RP, hah.
OK BUT SAME.

I just get so excited writing my stories alright 😭 I like to talk people's ears off about the shit that's going down.

OK BUT SAME.

I just get so excited writing my stories alright 😭 I like to talk people's ears off about the shit that's going down.
I must reiterate.
ONE DAY
You and I will RP 😂

But yeah seriously. How am I supposed to just not talk about the fact that character A is heartbroken by character B and desperately making sweeping changee to improve their relationship? Or that character C is finally starting to not hate character D, and instead see him as an older brother type deal??
😩 I can't just hold this in, man!

It's a pet peeve of mine when writers use the word insane to describe someone in what is supposed to be a tense moment.

Whenever I read a description where someone writes something along the lines of 'they smiled insanely' or 'they had an insane look in their eyes' it just completely pulls me out of the moment. There are very few instances where I  can imagine using the word insane as a descriptor could contribute towards a good scene, but 99.9% of the time it completely ruins the mood for me.

Back on topic, y'all!
Right... I actually had forgotten which topic this was. lol

So, RP pet Peeves:

When I see people pitch a potentially perfect project (whoa, alliteration!), but then spoil it with the roles they want the PCs to have in it. Like, since I really dont have the capacity to GM stuff anymore, I'm pretty reliant on waiting for others to come up with something I'd be interested in. As you can surmise, it doesn't happen often. But every now and again, I see something and I'm like..." HEY, I got the perfect character for that!"

But then I show my interests and pitch my character idea, and it doesnt fit with what the GM was going for. And I'm like.. shit, I was so close. lol

And I dunno if it's better or worse when my character idea DOES get accepted, but then the peripheral participation of the other players peters out (another alliteration?).

Pet peeve is when people insist to find a trans character’s dead name/gender at birth. Only reason why people need to know that shit is if you’re tryna hate crime someone and tbh I just want to write my stupid character n not have to write a “hate crime arc”

Obvi there’s a time n place for that n it should be discussed but I think it’s equally important to portray trans/enby folk just living normal lives and having a good time

i think people really throw the word “overpowered” around a lot. like… i feel like op characters are kind of a case by case basis. obviously there should never be characters with super amazing, wild, crazyyy powers with No solid limitations, so that’s not what i’m talking about. what i mean is that, in certain universes (like the mcu or jujutsu kaisen), what constitutes overpowered is going to be a bit different than other fandoms because so many characters have such wild and extreme powers, like uhh… gojo, sukuna, inumaki for instance. anyway, i’m just saying this because i feel like a lot of people go with some singular precedent for overpowered characters without considering the context 🚶

in fact, i feel like in certain fandoms, some people make their characters way too Underpowered to avoid being considered OP, only to then have them hold battles against people way more powerful and experienced than them? and, in some cases, get upset if their character loses, even if it’s the only realistic outcome? anyways, my point is that there’s just no one standard for what an overpowered character is, except characters who have no real limits to their powers, since even the examples i gave had Some weaknesses despite being insanely strong.

but idk, no one’s ever rly called my characters overpowered in recent years, it was just smth i was thinking of.

This is a very minor peeve.

Lack of space between paragraphs. It doesn’t like ruin the roleplay for me (and I usually chalk it up to formatting mistake) but it does make me a tiny bit annoyed.

I dunno why, it’s not like I can’t read the post and respond. It just looks off to me somehow.

Having my character have to literally follow the other character in order to respond to questions asked by said character. Like don't have your character ask important questions of my character, throw a tantrum, then move to other locations BEFORE my character has time to respond. Damn it!

Having my character have to literally follow the other character in order to respond to questions asked by said character. Like don't have your character ask important questions of my character, throw a tantrum, then move to other locations BEFORE my character has time to respond. Damn it!

I had someone do that once. My character literally had to break into their house to have a conversation because their player deliberately would go off and do their own thing.

I finally confronted them and they straight up said “oh yeah I like to see how long it takes my partners to say something.”

They then made a second character and did the same exact thing, after admitting it was just trolling.

I just blocked them and told every one of my roleplay friends to avoid them like the plague.

I had someone do that once. My character literally had to break into their house to have a conversation because their player deliberately would go off and do their own thing.

I finally confronted them and they straight up said “oh yeah I like to see how long it takes my partners to say something.”

They then made a second character and did the same exact thing, after admitting it was just trolling.

I just blocked them and told every one of my roleplay friends to avoid them like the plague.
Wow....some people make me so sick.

Pet peeve... or well, just something that has persistently frustrated me for longer than I care to remember:

Pitching an idea across multiple venues, only to have it go ignored or otherwise just flounder around and get nowhere. And eventually just getting tired of trying for that idea, to the point where you are jaded to even go through with it anymore.

Like, I have an ever-growing list of OCs and settings that I have pushed so much with nothing to show for it, that I dont even want to bother. they are just CS's and Worldbuilds that will never come to fruition

Pet peeve... or well, just something that has persistently frustrated me for longer than I care to remember:

Pitching an idea across multiple venues, only to have it go ignored or otherwise just flounder around and get nowhere. And eventually just getting tired of trying for that idea, to the point where you are jaded to even go through with it anymore.

Like, I have an ever-growing list of OCs and settings that I have pushed so much with nothing to show for it, that I dont even want to bother. they are just CS's and Worldbuilds that will never come to fruition
I also have had this problem. I have an entire world I have created that think would make a great RP setting but it never works, it's not even that people won't sign up they just don't seem to listen. Like I'll say there is a fair amount of lore and such that I have to tell you about so you can understand the gist of the setting and have the info necessary for you to make your character because I want you to know all your options and see what you'd be interested in, hell I'lleven accept your characters and world-building ideas that you've made with no prior knowledge and we can just tweak and adapt them to fit the setting they say it's fine but they always seem to be surprised Pikachu face when exactly what I warned them about beforehand is presented to them.

Then I go and put a interest check out with the minimalist of effort and everyone lines up...its disheartening when you put so much work into something and you love it pieces and no one seems to be interested, yet they flock for the things you barely put any thought into. It's not a dig at anyoknd because obviously I kike this RP too, love them actually it's just frustrating sometimes.

Wandering Fae Wandering Fae i think it’s over-explaining that is the problem. I am also a heavy world builder and the most consistent feedback I get is that it’s overwhelming.

So my solution is just “fish out of water”. Put another way my partner just plays a character with no experience with the setting.

Now depending on the world there might be some very basic things they need to know :

Ex. People have superpowers, all super powers are hereditary, you can’t have these types of powers.

And of course if they have a question OOC I will answer it at any point.

But I have found it’s more exciting for both parties if I just reveal the world through the story rather then try to explain it in the beginning. Because a lot of times other people just aren’t interested in the minutia the way I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back