Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that completely. When you have a really great idea you want it to come to fruition and when it doesn't it's gone. Even though you are coming back from a break it does sound like you may need a bit of a longer one at least to try to get your motivation as well as interests(saw your other topic) back to where you want them to be. I think if some of the same stuff isn't working for you might have try something different and new even if you don't want to broaden your horizons. People can give you ideas but in the end you are going to have to figure out what you need and want to do.
I mean, i have a few other ideas i could throw out, but they'd be reboots, and they didnt do so well the last couple times I tried them.

Maybe just read. Something you normally wouldn't. Venture out of what your usual go to genres are in roleplay. Or, you most definitely are, write on your own. Put the ideas to a format, create characters. There's also plenty of movies to watch to get the gears going.
I have a bookshelf with well over a dozen books that i have acquired with the intent to read. But when i try and sit down with one... i just cant. I get maybe a chapter or two in, and then put the book back in the shelf. a month or two go by, and i might get the urge to try a different book. rinse and repeat.

The collection of unread books keeps growing too.

I mean, i have a few other ideas i could throw out, but they'd be reboots, and they didnt do so well the last couple times I tried them.

I have a bookshelf with well over a dozen books that i have acquired with the intent to read. But when i try and sit down with one... i just cant. I get maybe a chapter or two in, and then put the book back in the shelf. a month or two go by, and i might get the urge to try a different book. rinse and repeat.

The collection of unread books keeps growing too.
Maybe change them up a bit? I have this one major idea from 2011 that didn't do good at all so I expanded on it and completely changed it around with better results. Maybe it might work for you or not, I don't know.

Sometimes reboot catches more attention than original simply because it was put up at a different time, different people reacted to it and so on. Maybe you could still try again if there is an idea you really want to do.

Passive characters who contribute nothing substantial to the plot if anything. They basically recap what's in my post as a form of their thoughts and respond with one line of dialogue in every post that also does not bring anything to the table.

This one is more directed at my own hypocracy. I come up with a solid RP idea, but I frustrate myself because writing it out would be such a pain. Coming up with how to present the idea, what to include or not include in the interest check, and a general list of things I have to check off infuriates myself at myself.

Last time I tried an RP in this particular fandom, I had to close it prematurely because I didn't think everything through, so I just want to make sure I get it right this time. I'd hate to get the reputation of a flaker/ghoster simply because things don't align up with me scheduling-wise at the time. I hate it when it's done to me so I can't imagine how it might feel on the other side.

Aaaaand i realize this turned into two separate things. Two-for-one special, innit?

Instant gratification?

Which I can and possibly will rant on this at some point because it's the one thing that hampers my motivation, only to be negated by my stubbornness in seeing my shit through. :'D
I am the same way with my current RPG. I don't want it to die and even though things have slowed down dramatically due to my players being busy (and they do keep me appraise of things), I know I'll keep with this one particular RPG because of my stubborn nature. I think what gives me extra motivation for this RPG in particular is the fact it wasn't originally my RPG. When the original owner of it lost interest I ask her permission to reboot it and she gave her consent, which I am very grateful for. So it's also for her sake that I want to see this RPG through.

It drives me nuts when people write in future tense. I tolerate it because people can write however they want and at least they're not writing in first person but... argh.

It drives me nuts when people write in future tense. I tolerate it because people can write however they want and at least they're not writing in first person but... argh.
or when everyone else in the group is writing third-person, past-tense. And then you got that one person who cant get on board and is writing in first person. yeesh

When you start the roleplay and out of nowhere they write half of their posts in a foreign language with no warning, no explanation, and continue to do it even after you're like wtf?

Also when 95% of the post is the other person's character thinking to themselves and giving you one single sentence to react to.

Also when the other player seems to have everything plotted out in their mind, but won't tell you any of it so you have no idea what to write. Especially when it's paired with the above. I'm here for a partner, not a GM.

sweating key and peele GIF

When you start noticing multiple pet peeves you've either violated or suspect you've violated in the past.

Way lack of description. I get it. Too much description can become problematic at times but give me SOMETHING where I can envision what's happening.
He was traveling along the road. Okay. Is he walking? Driving a car, riding an elephant, horse? What?!

lack of communication, if something is going on where you can't respond promptly thats okay but please make me aware of it. also if my style isn't your favorite then gimme some feedback! just ghost silence is unhelpful

lack of communication, if something is going on where you can't respond promptly thats okay but please make me aware of it. also if my style isn't your favorite then gimme some feedback! just ghost silence is unhelpful
Exactly. Totally agree.

I don't know it just kind of bothers me when someone who's been a troll in your role plays before expects you to consider them in a role play your making presently.
Like. Why?
It's too early for this. I need coffee.
Just no.

People who tell me, when we partner up, they want to improve their writing, cool-all for that- nothing wrong with helping one another, then get angry at me for not only writing a lot but putting detail in my writing while at the same time trying to make me guilty for doing so.

Don't get mad at me because you skipped the important details in my request thread.

People who tell me, when we partner up, they want to improve their writing, cool-all for that- nothing wrong with helping one another, then get angry at me for not only writing a lot but putting detail in my writing while at the same time trying to make me guilty for doing so.

Don't get mad at me because you skipped the important details in my request thread.
Yeah, I've been told in at least three (that I remember) Discord groups that I should just "go write by myself" or "Write a book" or We don't do that here" because I drop posts in detailed multi-para form. I've learned the hard way that RP servers on Discord are generally not a friendly place for "lit" writers.

Yeah still grinds my gears that I tried to be engaging only to have my rps go nowhere or ignored whenever I posted an ad. Yeah one of the reasons I left..

Too much brain dumping from my side. 😔

Don't get me wrong, though. I love reading OOC convos (including people's random theories of the RP-verse) and sometimes getting involved in it. But the random theories part can be pretty annoying if I randomly come up with them. Like, a lot of them, hence the need to brain dump. :xFwhat:

Yeah, I've been told in at least three (that I remember) Discord groups that I should just "go write by myself" or "Write a book" or We don't do that here" because I drop posts in detailed multi-para form. I've learned the hard way that RP servers on Discord are generally not a friendly place for "lit" writers.
That's messed up. And that's why I won't bother with Discord.

Having ideas that are beyond my skill level to write and do justice to. Or at least, they feel that way.

When you get a message but its not for a intrest in rping or its for a rp you dont want to play in

Having ideas that are beyond my skill level to write and do justice to. Or at least, they feel that way.
I'll follow this with:

Having ideas that I'm more than capable of doing, but just not having the time or motivation to see them through.

That's messed up. And that's why I won't bother with Discord.
I really dont care for Discord, But tbh it's kind of impossible for me to find certain fandoms for RP anywhere else. Like, Warhammer 40k, for instance. Pretty much impossible to try to get that going on a general RP forum. You pretty much HAVE to get on Discord to find Warhammer Groups. I've yet to find them anywhere else. Even on RP forums that are geared specifically for Sci-fi stuff.

Last edited:
Not sure if it sounds mean but I find it frustrating when a non English speaker joins an rp. Sometimes the posts do not make sense because their grammar is off. So not only it's confusing to rp with them. But it's difficult to communicate with them ooc as well. I mean I get it, maybe their using roleplay as a way to get better at the language. But dealing with language barriers is so irritating.

Not sure if it sounds mean but I find it frustrating when a non English speaker joins an rp. Sometimes the posts do not make sense because their grammar is off. So not only it's confusing to rp with them. But it's difficult to communicate with them ooc as well. I mean I get it, maybe their using roleplay as a way to get better at the language. But dealing with language barriers is so irritating.
I mean... yeah, this does come across as mean, and also short-sighted. The fact is, when a fluent non-native speaker joins an rp, you have no way of knowing they aren't a native in the first place because they just sound normal. I am a non-native speaker as well and I know for a fact that I am a lot better at grammar/spelling than many native speakers. So, you essentially judge a whole group of people with vastly different abilities and only take into account the least talented members.

I will say it's irritating when your partner can't type, but tbh the bad experiences I've had were mostly with natives who just write what they hear (which, often enough, isn't what you're supposed to write in English.) But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back